Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #451  

S/C/G: 175/165/145

Height: 5' 11"

Hi All,

I am tall too, 5' 11 1/2". I have a small frame and want to lose about 20lbs. No one thinks I weigh as much as I do and they all say I look good and "don't lose any weight".

Glad to be here with other tall girls who may look great in clothes but would like to look better in their underwear!

When you are tall as we are, your proportions are different, so a lot of people don't understand.

Glad to find this forum!

Ali
Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #452  

S/C/G: 252

Height: 5'11''

I'm nearly six feet tall with at least 70lbs to lose - I feel like a TANK! Have had to deal with being taller than nearly everyone else all my life, and it was always a trial (thinking back to high school where I was nicknamed "The Whale" despite not having a real weight problem after puberty. I grew up with all sorts of eating disorders, married a man for whom I could never be thin enough - bulimia, the works. I work as a personal chef, right now, thankfully for someone who needs to lose a 100lbs, so we're doing an Atkins based regimen. Am sincerely hoping I can hang in there and really move the weight, this time, for good! No more yoyo! Being taller definitely helps, to a point - but once you become REALLY overweight, you delude yourself if you think you're hiding anything. My crazy delusions about body image when I was thin (thinking I was fat) were present for far too long while I was fat (thinking I was thin)! Gawd.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #453  

S/C/G: 282/231/190

Height: 5'10

I'm 5'10, and I used to think it was great being taller than guys...back in middle school lol...now not so much lol. So now not only am I overweight, but height definitely intimidates guys as well. But I've also got myself in the denial that I don't look like the "typical" obese person...until I saw pictures from a friends birthday...then I decided that tall or not, proportionate or not...I had to do something!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #454  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

laceycen - I did a huge part of my growing from eighth to ninth grade. I grew so quickly that I was constantly growing out of my shoes (much to my horror). I remember being measured at the end of ninth grade. There I was - 13 years old, over 5'10" and looked about 20 years old unless I wore really childish looking clothes. That was not a fun situation.

Of course, by the time I graduated I was six feet tall. I didn't let a doctor measure me again for years. I ended up with another half inch (five twelve and a half, as I like say).

At my age they like to measure me to see if I am losing height - HA! It will never happen. Maybe when I am eighty I'll be a lil' ol' lady of around five eleven.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #455  

Yea it's funny. When I am more than say 30lbs overweight I feel like a mac truck. It's like shorter friends that are overweight are still "small" - they weigh so little and still seem petite. And my thighs will never be as small as theirs.

I think if you are tall you look GREAT when thin. Way better than someone who is medium height or shorter looks. There is something so breathtaking about a tall slim woman (look at all the models). Photographers would comment on how great Princess Diana looked because of her height and slim figure. BUT, when you are tall and overweight that beauty is gone, way more than a shorter heaver woman.

I think height is a true gift, but we have to work to take advantage of it!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #456  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessalyn View Post
I'm 5'10, and I used to think it was great being taller than guys...back in middle school lol...now not so much lol. So now not only am I overweight, but height definitely intimidates guys as well. But I've also got myself in the denial that I don't look like the "typical" obese person...until I saw pictures from a friends birthday...then I decided that tall or not, proportionate or not...I had to do something!
It won't intimidate the secure guys and that's what you want. Those guys that want to dominate a little girl will steer clear. Plus, really you want a guy that likes tall women and there are plenty of them out there. Even the real shorties (I dated a guy who was 5'3") - I think they want tall offspring!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #457  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I was 5'9" by 11....and gained the other inch slowly over a few years.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #458  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

I love being tall. My only problem is that I have an irrational fear that people will think I'm a guy in drag.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #459  

S/C/G: 220/205/165

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnycow View Post
I have an irrational fear that people will think I'm a guy in drag.
It's funny you say that, because I feel the same way in flats. It just makes me laugh when people suggest wearing heels with an outfit.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #460  

Hello all fellow tall girls! I am charging life back into this thread!
I am 29, 5'11, 200 lbs, big butt and boobies, and very curvy. I was very skinny my whole life, and didn't even start gaining weight until about 22 years old. All the weight I gain first started just going to my butt and thighs, then just the last couple years adding inches to my waistline. I guess I feel lucky I had so many years of being thin, but its also unlucky since I am just learning how to eat healthy and how to consistantly exercise.

From 25 - 27 years old I maintained a consistant 180 lbs without exercise OR eating right. Then a couple years ago I had an accidental preganacy and then a very sudden miscarage... (you never know what you actually want until it is gone). I was then on anti depressants, and even was smoking cigarettes. I was so depressed, I couldn't even go one day without drinking some type of alcohol. To top it off, I had to work 1700 miles away from oeveryone who loved me, and I had no one to turn to. I lost about 30 lbs after all this, but I was lethargic and incredibly unhealthy.

During this horrible time, I met the love of my life...(and all the weight came right back!) He is a 6'1, gorgeous Indian man, who loves me for everything I was, am, and will be. I went through a horrible divorce in the past and had many unhealthy relationships since then, so meeting someone like him was like a fresh breath of air. Just having him in my life made me realize how much life I have to look forward to! Thus started my journey for weight loss, and healthy living.

I found out I was 200 lbs in January and have been working out at least 5 days a week since then (with a couple bad weeks). I have only lost 4 lbs :-( I wasn't being very strict on my diet, but still eating very healthy. I finally found out that my quick weight gain was due to the 2 months I was pregnant. I never knew that the body would build up so much fat, even after you are no longer pregnant. So, 2 days ago I started weight watchers. I will continue to exercise like I have been.... but there is nothing more discouraging than not seeing results after 3 months of hard work.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #461  

S/C/G: 276/260/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessalyn View Post
This was exactly me. I was like "oh my weight distributes better..." yeah i saw a picture and that idea was crushed... and I cut my hair short so I just looked bigger so I def. had to do something
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #462  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hi, I'm 5'11" and find that being self-absorbed helps me to not at all think about what other people think of me. Because, frankly, when I'm walking around town, I don't think anything about what other people look like.

I was raised by a very judgemental mother. She just can't stop herself! I've learned to tune it out. Some are intimidated enough by my size to make mention of it outloud. I'm not an overtly intimidating person, so I assume they are the ones who don't think enough about themselves to be able to feel fully whole when standing next to me.

I love being tall. I love wearing heels. I love being myself fully, outloud. I enjoy getting attention and being tall affords me this. If someone walks past me and judges me, then I'm pretty sure I wasn't in on that internal conversation. And I'm pretty sure once they walk past me, they aren't giving me a second thought. I do know that when someone actually chooses to spend time with me, we have a good time!

I have noticed that small-mindedness comes in all shapes and sizes and every generation has it's fair share of it. Let's not add to it by letting it affect our self image! Love your largeness!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #463  

S/C/G: 168/133/126

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igb2htalmh View Post
It's like shorter friends that are overweight are still "small" - they weigh so little and still seem petite. And my thighs will never be as small as theirs.

I think if you are tall you look GREAT when thin. Way better than someone who is medium height or shorter looks. There is something so breathtaking about a tall slim woman (look at all the models). Photographers would comment on how great Princess Diana looked because of her height and slim figure. BUT, when you are tall and overweight that beauty is gone, way more than a shorter heaver woman.
)
EXACTLY my feelings.

when i'm heavier i feel like a huge clumsy whale because i just take up MORE ROOM than a shorter heavier person, my skeleton is larger, my hands and feet are larger, i am bigger

Sure you might be able to carry more pounds as a tall girl but PROPORTIONALLY you have to be much smaller to look as little as a short girl.

not that i don't love being tall a lot of the time, and i love my 6" wedge heels, but i do hate feeling "just bigger" than shorter girls.

I always wanted to be petite
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #464  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RummyMcGin View Post
EXACTLY my feelings.

when i'm heavier i feel like a huge clumsy whale because i just take up MORE ROOM than a shorter heavier person, my skeleton is larger, my hands and feet are larger, i am bigger

Sure you might be able to carry more pounds as a tall girl but PROPORTIONALLY you have to be much smaller to look as little as a short girl.

not that i don't love being tall a lot of the time, and i love my 6" wedge heels, but i do hate feeling "just bigger" than shorter girls.

I always wanted to be petite
I think we always want what we can't have. What I find interesting is that your starting weight is my ultimate goal weight, funny how just because of proportions and how we carry weight how our goals and everything differ.
I know if I went under 150, my family would committ me to an eating disorder clinic
Old 05-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #465  

S/C/G: 144/Ticker/130

People say I'm tall, but I'm actually 'the runt' of my family. I'm a bit over 5'9" and if I put my mind to it, I can be skinny. I have a spare tire around my midsection that's easy to hide in the winter, but not in the summer! I'm small-boned, so extra weight is more obvious on my frame than for others.
I appreciate being tall; I can eat a lot more than shorter people and I often do! But I shouldn't. LOL
Closed Thread