Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #466  

Height: 165

Hi everone, I newbie and i very happy join in forum.
I hope can be friends with you all members.
I like this thread because very many informations and cooperate.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #467  

S/C/G: 178/172/155

Height: 6'0"

YAY other tall women!

It's nice to meet people who can relate to the same issues with the scale as me. I, too, have to lose a good 10 to 15 pounds before I really notice a difference. I completely agree that us tall gals can carry extra weight with a bit more grace than our shorter friends, but when my weight is up I can feeeel the difference and it has an impact on my self esteem.

I had recently gained a few pounds from my usual 170 to about 178/180. I am back down to my normal weight zone but am ready to start losing a few more pounds. My regular clothes (size 11 or 12) all fit comfortably again.

I want to lose 15 more pounds. I have never been 155-160 (I was a heavy teen and my in adulthood I brought my weight down and kept it at around 175.)

I'm wondering how any of you out there are doing it? I tried calorie counting and found that eating anything less than 1700 calories daily was really hard for me. I was always hungry even at 1700 (I workout regularly as well.)

What do you ladies do to trim the waistline?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #468  

S/C/G: 168/133/126

Height: 5' 9"

I just eat less. Simple as that. I count calories and try to stick to 1200 per day - this may sound low for a tall girl but when I say "try" I mean: achieve maybe 4 days out of 7, weekends I loosen up a bit so it probably averages out a lot higher.

I have started doing intermittent fasting, which really suits me because I can easily not eat all day but I NEED a Big dinner. Even if I had a big lunch I would still want a big dinner so now during the week at work I never eat breakfast and rarely eat lunch. I've actually grown to rather like the hunger, which usually goes away after about 1:30 pm.

I weight train and walk a lot and I used to run before I hurt my hip
Old 06-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #469  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I think being tall makes me memorable, tall and huge, even moresoe. People always recognise me and I have nothing else memorable about me, a crap haircut and a plain face I'm pretty sure its my height. And I just want to fade into the background!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #470  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Hey guys!! Was excited to see this thread.

Think there's any chance of a "tall-girl" separate support group forum? I mean it does relate directly to issues with weight loss and body image and this thread has been going for years so there's interest. Just curious what you guys think and how would we even request that??

I agree, I'm not sure people really realize how much I weigh. I definitely NEVER tell people my weight, so it's hard to say if they're surprised or not, but I don't think I look "obese". I've recently discovered DKNY jeans which are a great fit for me and come in the darker rinses that I like (and think overall are more slimming). A little bit of stretch, simple but stylish.

I'm not sure where I carry most of my weight. I definitely have a belly (if I am going to wear a tight-fitting shirt I wear "shapewear" underneath or you see 2 big rolls whenever I sit.) I think it's a little bit all over since my arms are pretty big as are my thighs. My calves don't feel huge so maybe not there?

I seem to be a solid size 16 in jeans right now, at 220 pounds. Sadly at 180 I was a solid 14. 40 lbs and 1 size! But the upside is I hardly ever have to buy new clothes when my weight fluctuates. 16 is the largest I've ever been and at my lowest weight (160) I was a pretty solid 12 - but I didn't stay there long enough to buy new clothes! (Curse you 6-mos French exchange program in which I gained 20 pounds back )

My feet are size 11 and I've never felt very self-conscious about them. In high school soccer coach called me "The Foot" (after I told him I had Sz 11 feet), and it was actually kind of a badge of honor. Like: "Obviously she's not going to miss the ball, it's impossible!")

Anyway I've read through about 20 pages of this thread and love it!

Edited to add: It's ridiculous how fat I still felt at 160! Ug. Looking back at pictures I looked great and would love to look that way again. I remember a friend even walked in the room while I was changing (college dorm) and exclaimed "Oh my god, you're so thin!") It's funny how judgmental we can be of ourselves.

Last edited by my2cats; 06-28-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #471  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Hey guys! I'm far from being the tallest girl.... but I am 5'9.5". So... tall enough.

But... I do find it very interesting hearing all the sizes and weights that people are.

I'm in between 12 and 14 in jeans right now. Size 12 for 90% of dresses (exceptions are dresses made for people with no boobage).

I'm not muscular... and I'm 208.0 as of this morning. I guess... I just don't quite get it. I hear people saying (like above), that they were a solid size 14 at 180... or 160... and they are my height or taller.

So... I dunno...

But finding jeans stinks. I can't stand it when people sit there and say "oh... I'm petite... I can't find anything to wear... ".

Give me a break. Try being tall for a day... with long legs and long arms. Virtually nothing to wear. Long sleeved shirts that for most people hit mid hand only just hit my wrist... I need a 34-36" inseam... blech. Spent around $100 on just my coat (and this is the family who usually spends only $20-30 on something like that) because I had to order it special from JCP's online "tall" stuff.

OH... and if you need tall items... 80% of it is to be bought online. They just don't carry it in the stores.

>.<

Yeah... I'd much rather be petite... even if I do love my height.

Sry for the little rant there...

Go tall girls!!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #472  

I have pretty good luck finding jeans but dress pants seem to do me in - they seem "just barely fine" standing but then I sit down and it's "hello 2 inches of ankle". Ug. At 5'10" I'm just on the cusp where a lot of pants are too short but the "Tall" styles are too long.. so I often buy Tall and get it hemmed.

I hate doing the dance where I pull the pants down as far as I can get away with under my shirt so they seem longer.. but then I have to be really careful if I raise my arms or lean over... /facepalm

We seem to be about the same height and I used to be a 14 - Gap Boot Cut Stretch worked pretty well for me in the "Tall" or "Long" - I forget which it is, but the inseam is 34" which was just about perfect. They can be pricey but I usually buy them on eBay for about half off.

Also recently DKNY jeans have been a godsend - they hit about half an inch off the floor if I'm in flats. The tag just says "16R" on mine so I think it's just the regular style?? They're a little thinner and stretchier than the Gap jeans so I'm not sure they'll last as long - the Gap jeans typically take a year of hard wear (say, wearing them multiple times a week for a couple years). And where do you think they wear out first...?

a) belt hoops pull out in the back from using them as handholds to pull the jeans up over my butt, leaving a tiny hole that slowly gets bigger and more embarassing as it shows my underwear
b) the fabric becomes absolutely threadbare between my legs from the friction. Ug. One time I put a pair on and knew something was horribly wrong when my thighs could feel each other directly (just a few tenacious thread between).

Edited to add random horrible jeans story:
One time I was visiting some friends - met them at the airport and as I was getting in their car my back pocket caught on something (??) and just ripped completely off taking the whole cheek of one jean with it. I had a huge hole in the back of my pants.

Fortunately these were good friends and I had luggage with me, so I told them I ripped my jeans and made them face forward while I changed in the backseat (and it was pretty funny, we were all happy to see each other and it was just ridiculous and hilarious). If it had to happen, I don't think it could have been a better time, but it made me super paranoid - god what if it had been at work? with someone I didn't know well? I literally would have died of embarrassment. I am now very careful not to brush my butt against anything or anyone.

Last edited by my2cats; 06-28-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #473  

Haha... wow...

And yeah... it's mostly dressie pants more than jeans... but even jeans are hard for me. (OR YOGA PANTS... Yoga pants are a NIGHTMARE to find long enough... but FINALLY Gap's are long enough... and I LOVE them)

I'm FAR from rich... so the jeans I buy have to be $20 or less... so I often go searching through the sales racks... and probably one in twenty or thirty are Longs... and then within that... takes even longer to find one in my size (12 or 14).

So yeah... I need to look again on Ebay... I really want those Gap yoga pants... BUT... they are my "prize" for getting into one-derland... So I can look... but can't buy until I'm there.

Oh... you mentioned that when you sit you have like... 2 inches showing. I have that... on my jeans that are labelled "tall". If I want jeans that really fit me lengthwise really well... I usually need a 36 inch inseam... *sigh* Long legs suck... can't believe people actually want them. >.<

Must admit though... I hope they'll be pretty shmexy once I lose all the weight.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #474  

I am jealous of your legs! I have never seen the benefit in having a long torso (just easier to expose my belly in those short annoying shirts), but everyone talks about how long legs are pretty hawt.

Mini-NSV?
I just ran into my 85-yr old neighbor - I mentioned offhand what I was having for dinner (chicken with rice and broccoli) and she said "Aha, so that's how you keep your figure!"

I expect her eyesight may be going, but I was so surprised I just stared at her for a beat and then laughed and changed the subject. It still felt good (and I think plays well into the theory that "tall girls just don't look as fat").

Last edited by my2cats; 06-28-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #475  

Sure... tall girls don't "look" as fat... but short girls look CUTER fat. At least IMO... of course... it's not always the case... but most larger/taller girls tend to just look big... while shorter girls are all roly poly and adorable!

but yeah... tall girls hide it better... definitely true. Pros and cons to both.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #476  

Haha, I don't disagree, I think I posted in another thread a few days ago that I feel like Godzilla come to crush the tiny villagers when I'm around short people and I'm overweight. I "loom".

Unfortunately none of my friends are as tall as I am so I'm pretty much permanently around short people. There's one who is 5'8", but she also is super-thin and in shape so, not helping.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #477  

S/C/G: 226/ticker/140

Hey everybody! I have been reading this forums for about 2hrs now, and this is my first post.

I wanted to post in this thread to represent the tall curvy girls! I am 5'10" and 218 as of today. This is my highest weight and I want to drop down to about 140. If any of you tall girls want to talk about diet regimes/workouts please let me know!! I'd love advice as I'm starting fresh!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #478  

Haha... I know. The friends I hang around with are all slimmer... and under 5'7". My roommate a few years ago (boarding school... high school...) was actually 4'11" when I was her roommate... and I was 5'9" at the time... grew another half an inch since then. But yeah... we were complete and utter opposites.

Anyways... I've had little kids call me "giant" before... but I think the worst was when I was in middle school I had one little 4 year old call me "big butt". >.<

I just feel huge... I mean... I love being tall. And even taller when I wear heels... but... I kinda wish I was shorter... to at least be able to look UP at most guys... instead of down.

Though... I can beat the snot out of most people... so... yeah. And I can reach things on the top shelf without difficulty...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #479  

Overall I love being tall.. I just want to be tall and skinny and fit

Even at my current weight my shorter friends say things like "Wow, I didn't wear heels today and I just realized you are really tall. Like super-model tall."

So they didn't exactly say I looked like a supermodel.. I'll take it.

And welcome packofneurons! It looks like we are almost in the exact same spot! (I'm also at 218 and height 5'10")

Edited to add - Kids can be the worst! I'm vaguely terrified of small children just at the age where they say whatever comes to mind. One of these days one of them is going to see me at an inopportune moment and ask their mom about my fat roll. (Or, the stereotypical, "Mommy, is she pregnant?" /shiver).

Last edited by my2cats; 06-28-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #480  

S/C/G: 226/ticker/140

I know! That's why I posted here! I was super excited that someone else had the exact same stats as me!
How is your journey going?
I just started 2 days ago... I went from about 3k cals/day to about 1200 cals. I'm starvinggg right now actually.

Serbrider: I totally think tall girls have a unique edge. Shorter girls sometimes mesh in crowds while taller girls stand out (especially with heels). I've been told by many guys that I intimidate them which presents them with new challenges

In the work setting, I think I'm taken more seriously because I'm taller... but maybe it's also because I try to act professional. Haha

Last edited by packofneurons; 06-29-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Closed Thread