Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: DO YOU THINK CALORIES COUNT?
I don't know, do they? 0 0%
No 0 0%
Yes 12 57.14%
Yes, but only ones from certain foods 1 4.76%
Yes, but only if you eat too many 3 14.29%
Not if you eat less than you should 0 0%
They count but I don't count them! 5 23.81%
No, not if no one sees you eating them! 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #61  

Question Ok...so I'm new

Ok. So I posted once a week ago...and have been debating what else to write. WEll, I decided just to go for it. My hubby and I decided to do try SB since we need to do something. We have been on it for two solid weeks now (with one cheat day..our anniversary and we had reservations for a resturant and there was no way I wasn't going to try their famous garlic mashed potatoes!). And I am glad to say that I am down 4 lbs! I LOVE candy, well not candy so much as ANYTHING CHOCOLATE! I used to have a bad day at work (which is often) and go to the candy machine (which WAS often). I am glad to say that I haven't cheated in the two weeks, nor have I wanted to! This SB is so easy for me (well at least I think I am doing it right!). I watch what I eat and try to eat only legal foods. I do have one question about starchy carbs though, WW bread, WW pasta, sweet pots...I read the book, but I think I need to read it again and take notes this time. Do we limit the amout of carbs that we eat each day? I read on a website or some NEWBIE information that we should limit to 3 carbs per day, but then in the book I didn't really get that impression, HELP!? I have really cut down on the amout of Carbs I eat, but I really want to do things RIGHT! Is it really bad to eat WW bread that has some molasses added but only 1gr of sugar? (just an FYI, I am the worst speller!, so pardon me for my errors in advance!)(Oh, and I tend to ramble! you should get me on the phone! HE HE!) Well, it is going to be a learning experience that is for sure, I just have to learn what is really "legal" and what isn't.

Thank you in advance everyone and I will try to read more often so I can post some replies...it will take me awhile to catch up as to what is going on! I will post my menu tomorrow for review.

I really appreciate all your help!

Last edited by MN Dog Lover; 04-21-2004 at 10:52 PM.
MN Dog Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #62  

DOGLOVER: The bread is ok if it has only 1 gram of sugar. As for starchy carbs, not sure where it is written, but three a day is about right if you want to lose. Sounds like you are doing something right if you have lost four pounds! It is easy isn't it? If you stick with whole grains and lots of veggies and fruits and lean meats you will do well. I found the Sugarbusters shopping guide book, which is about $5 very helpful when I first started out. It lists ok and not ok foods according to types. See if you can find a copy of it. I got mine at Target, but they have it at Amazon if you can't find it anywhere else. Jump on in with the posts. This group loves to get new members!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:58 PM   #63  

Hey everyone. My off plan dinner was absolutly great!!! Chinese and crab legs!! But its back OP for me tomorrow. Im headed for the 170's.
Who was it that posted that website for me, sef or monet maybe. The one where the girl lists all the legal foods. that site is awesome. I will try tomorrow to look it up. That will help doglover( name may be wrong, i didnt take notes...forgive me)
Thank you for the B-day wishes. It was a great day except for my sinus' have kicked in and i cant breath. Oh how i hate pollen!!!!
Well, im off to bed, goodnight.
vmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #64  

Default Novel sized post - feel free to skip:)

Greetings!! Well, WIW was a surprise for me, I lost 1.5 pounds even after I HOOVERED junk food on Monday. Chips (the combo snack mix with sun chips), chocolate and frosted shortbread cookies. I ate them all!! Felt like merry **** later, of course, between junk food and the "jump start" ten day course of progesterone my doc has me on, I've been spending a lot of time in the bathtub. When I can't sleep or get nauseous, I head for the hot water, usually nod off, drag my tired carcass off to bed eventually and collapse again. I shouldn't complain. Last time I took this hormone course, I thought I was losing my mind, literally. Tears and moodswings and depression galore. I was prepared this time and it helped.

Going to the pool also helps. I forced myself to go to water aerobics Tuesday, felt really grouchy for the first fifteen minutes or so, then started feeling really great. I mean, GREAT. And the instructor was kicking our butts, I loved her Another good instructor is taking the Thursday class, so that will be a good week. I can feel real differences in my body at last, my swimsuit is fitting better (I wore it without a tank top for the first time!) and I really need to take my measurements again. The jeans I bought for vacation are too loose to wear without a belt. YAY! And....I'm flying home in May. After being humiliated when my big butt didn't fit into a seat back in 2001, this is going to be a trial. But I am 60 lbs lighter, and will be EVEN LESS by the time I fly, and I weigh less than I did when I flew to Hawaii 4 years ago. I"m nervous...but I'm going to fly to MI for my work get together in July too. LOL, you all can laugh if you want, but I'm psyched to be able to show off how I've been doing to the girls I work with...and to the guys at the strip club we're going to party at one of those nights. It's silly, but I want to be able to dress up and feel pretty, maybe even sexy when we hit the town

MIRACLE AND DOGLOVER: Welcome welcome welcome. This is a wonderful group of ladies, I have learned so much from them, and there isn't a nicer, more supportive gang on the 'net. (I told my GYN, who recommended Sugar Busters to me, all about you guys!!) There are a lot of jokes and a lot of sorrows, but it lets you know that you are welcome as a person, not just a SB'er

Hugs to all, more later (scary thought, that one.) I'm getting rid of all the books I never read which is scary too. I love my books. I horde them. But, the ones I'm keeping just to keep them (about fifty Star Trek books ) are going!!

Love,
Arcayne
Arcayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:02 AM   #65  

Good Morning! I could not resist hopping on the scale this morning, and it was not a good idea. I was up another 2.5 pounds. That makes 5.5 since Friday. No reason... If I had been cheating all week, it would not bother me as much. Maybe it will drop back a pound or two as the morning progresses, but right now, I am seriously bummed. I even went to Curves yesterday, which usually keeps my system revved up, but I am feeling rather hopeless this morning.

ARCAYNE: That is awesome that you are doing so well! Congrats on the loss! I am very glad you are going to be able to fly home for your vacation! Keep up the good work! NO more Hoovering....

VMOORE: If you use the REPLY button, you can scroll down and see the last handful of posts. Usually at least a page worth. If you use the quick reply button at the bottom of the page, you can still scroll up while you are writing. I use both features instead of taking notes. Sometimes, when the board is really busy, I use Notepad to write my replies on as I read, then just copy and paste the replies into the reply window. I am glad you had a good dinner. I agree that the pollen sucks. I can barely breath too. It makes me snore real bad too!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Thursday!

I was very good at bunco last nite. Avoided the M&M's on the table, passed on chocolate cheesecake. I sipped a cup of coffee. She had fruit and I ate a ton of it.

DH was late getting home last night so I hit the TM and got 20 minutes in. So I have exercised everyday this week. This mornng I did 20 wall squats in the shower. That was neat. Will do some more at lunch today. It is still raining here. That's ok. Maybe it will all be gone before next week and Derby week will be nice.

Heart: Hope you have a great day. Not too much cake now!

Nat, thanks for the site info. I glanced at it, but will go back when I have a few more minutes.

Mishi, glad you had a nice trip. You are back on plan and that little gain will melt away. Good luck on your house.

MNdoglover, sounds like you got the idea and going great. You can have up to 3 starchy carbs a day (1 being 1 pc ww bread, 1/2 ww pasta, certain cereals, etc) I try to stay @ 2 a day. The sugar count is under 3 grams (I think the new book says 5). Good luck to you. We look forward to getting to know you.

Vmoore, glad you had a great birthday. Good going gettting right back on track.

Arcayne, sounds like you have lots going on. Wow. You should be proud of yourself and want to look good. I think that is a big help too.

Monet, you are an adult and you know that you have not gained 5 pounds of fat in a week. I'm sure it doesn't even affect your clothes. Don't worry about that stupid scale. Something is going on in your body (water, hormones, etc) and just let it be. I wish we would not get so hung up on the scale. But we are creatures of habit. Hang in there sweetie.

Have a great OP day. I will be back later.

Jackie
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #67  

Good Morning!

I wanted to thank everyone once again for the warm welcome.

Monet: Did you gain any weight when you made your transition from Atkins to SB? I have not weighed myself yet.

Does anyone have any suggestion on Starbuck’s? Do you order your Latte’s with 2% milk, skim milk, ECT?

Also, in the book and the shopping guide, under dairy, cream is listed as legal. Is that coffee cream, half and half, heavy cream, whip cream…HELP! I am just a little confused!

Here is my menu for yesterday:

B: ½ cup of oats cooked in water mixed with ½ cup of Uncle Sams Cereal and 1 tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter.

L: 3 cups of Romaine luttec with tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflower seeds and Greek dressing. 6 oz chicken breast with asparagus

S: 1 cup of Strawberries

D: 8 oz chicken breast sautéed with asparagus and Parmesan cheese. 2 cups of salad with red peppers and cucumbers.

S: Sugar free Jell-O with Lite Whip Cream.

One more question (SORRY) when they say 3 servings of starchy carbs a day. Is that 3 cups of starchy carbs?

Thanks again for everyone for the support!

Day
DayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #68  
Little Engine That Could

Heart--Happy Birthday Have a great SB day!!

Monet--The poll question this week reminds me to ask you if you think your caloric intake is at the right level. In other words, is your energy expenditure a little more than your energy intake. Bottom line, we can eat only SGWW bread, WW pasta, broccoli, salads, lean meats, etc. But if we take in more than we expend, it still will be difficult to lose. I have to tell you that I was quite surprised when the dietician I hired reviewed my food diary and showed me that I was taking in more than I realized. And I was eating really good SB. But, it was a wake-up call for me. I feel like we are so similar with our struggle with low metabolism, thyroid probs. and frustration at losing so slowly. So, as one "sister" to another, I encourage you to hang in there, Monet, and don't give up. I HATE to figure calories, and it worked for me to have someone do all that "dirty work." But, perhaps it will help a little if you give a try to examining that aspect of your eating. Just a thought in hopes that you'll find something that will do the trick for you. We love ya, honey, and are ready to come to your place and kick that stupid ole scale!!!

Some more thoughts on energy intake vs. energy expenditure:
I was very surprised to see how much it takes to burn off many calories. Walking 5 miles only burns off about 200 calories. That's not very much when you consider that 5 miles takes about 1 hour 40 minutes to do. Even weight lifting, which I do 2 times a week, religiously, doesn't burn off that many. The good thing with weight lifting, though, is that it builds muscle, and muscle uses more energy (Kilocalories) than fat. But, I've been lifting for 10 years now and reached a little bit of a standstill. I know that my muscles will only get so strong. (I never will be able to bench press 200 pounds!!) As far as energy intake is concerned, it is amazing how much some of those tiny little "goodies" can add to my calorie count. A couple of Hersheys kisses can "eat up" 4 of those miles I walked. I also found out that when I sautéed my veggies in a little olive oil, that oil was adding 100 calories here and 100 calories there. Another couple of miles gobbled up by good ole healthy olive oil. When I read back over the SB book, I see that they don't get very specific, but they do caution us to watch portions. Have the food fit on the inside of the plate, not even hanging over onto the rim. Sounds like a meal that one gets at a snobbish, high-priced French restaurant (tiny veggies, a dab of meat, and 2 T. of rice pilaf.) I have had to cut the oil to what amounts to a spritz of Pam, just a dab on a paper towel wiped on the bottom of the pan. If I really USE any oil, I count it as part of the energy that I'm taking in. So I have been somewhat spartan in my eating, but I'm finally slowly seeing the numbers go down. My goal is to be in the 150s by May 29, when I leave for Paris. As I said above, I HATE, DETEST, LOATHE, to count calories, so I figured out some meal plans with stuff I like to eat and that is SB legal, and try to stick to that. That way I only had to figure out the calories one time. I was interested also in having at least 90 grams of protein every day, because that seems to keep the hunger away. I usually always feel quite satisfied, and don't have that vague feeling of wanting to munch. It also seems to quell the cravings, especially for candy or sweet stuff. I'm also counting the fiber, because that is good for so much disease prevention, and keeping the ole system moving along, thank you very much. It's hard to get in the recommended amount without those grains or beans, which are somewhat starchy. So, it has been quite tricky to figure out how to get the numbers right. Hence, the dietician. The biggest challenge is to resist eating any old thing when I'm not in the mood to fix a meal, or am hungry and don't want to wait for something to get cooked. Also, eating out is still a challenge, because I don't know exactly how much oil, etc. is part of what I'm eating. It is hard to stay orgainized enought to always have something ready to eat if I'm having a really busy day and don't have the time for fuss with something. Having homemade soup, or lentils already cooked has bailed me out quite a few times lately. I'm still trying to work on this as being a WOE for life. However, I'd rather still just go out to eat 3-4 times a week, like before. I just don't think that will work, unless I stick to salads, salads, salads, and with low cal dressing, which I also hate.

Anyway, I've been rambling. Maybe partly just to keep myself encouraged to stick to what I've been doing. I was at a solid 166 today and that was encouraging also. I still have to get out there and walk 2 miles. If I do that and also get in about 1.5 miles tonight with my DH I will get in my extra 200 Kcal energy expenditure. Food for today will be (hopefully)

B. shredded wheat 'n bran with strawberries and sk. milk, 1/2 grapefruit
L. 2 oz. WW pasta with homemade clam sauce. Steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Salad. 1/2 cup srawberries with a little fresh pineapple.
Dinner--Roasted cornish hen (1/2 of one, My DH and I split a whole hen) roasted with a couple heads of garlic (yum) and and defatted drippings deglazed with a little lemon juice and white wine for a sauce.
Steamed spinach, sautéed apple.
Snack--2 pieces high fiber crispbread with 1/4 cup tuna.
Kcal 1362, fiber 32 gm., protein 90 gm. All Sb legal except for the bit of fresh pineapple.

My DH's birthday is tomorrow. There will be cake, that he will bring home from the office. A former receptionist always brings him a fabulous chocolate cake, homemade, with yummy choc. icing. That will be a temptation. My dd will be bringing oatmeal raisin cookies. He wants to grill steaks and have baked potato and salad. Hmmm. I'll let you know what happens. Stay tuned.

Well, I've written a book. I'm happy my French class is OVER. Finis! Terminé. I'll let you know my grade when they are posted next week.

Gotta go walk. Bye.
GatorGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:54 AM   #69  

Good Morning:

The weekend is almost here; yippee!

Not much new around here to report. My parents sold their home and will be moving into a new home toward the end of the year; they will be farther away from us than they are now, but they will be real close to my sister and her family when they move here.

Brittany has a Kindergarten program the first week of May, and she was selected to play the part of Mary (as in Jesus' mother) out of the 4 Kindergarten classes there. She is very excited! They are going to sing a bunch of songs they've been learning throughout the year. I cannot believe there are only 5 weeks of school left.

Not much else going on here. I have been staying OP with my eating, but haven't gotten that exercise in this week. Starting Sat, I will be back OP with the exercise. I was down to 119.5# this morning, but don't expect that to stick. I see that every once in awhile, but not for too long.

Mishi: Way to get right back OP after your vacation. You'll drop that vacation weight in no time! Good luck selling your home.

Doglover: Congrats on the 4#'s. Your DH is probably losing faster though, isn't he? I hope not! BUT, they always seem to lose so much faster than we do. It must be nice to have someone to do SB with. My DH can't afford to lose anymore weight. I am going to have to try to fatten him up a bit, without gaining any myself. It's great to train your body off the sugar, but when you feel you are in control, but still want a little bit of chocolate, get some of the 65% or greater cocoa content. It is dark chocolate, and you have to train the taste buds, but I now love it, and don't even like the milk chocolate anymore. You should start with 2-3 starchy carbs in the beginning. It's not bad to eat bread with molasses or other sweeteners in it, as long as it doesn't exceed the 3g rule (per serving). Just make sure it is whole grains, and is not enriched. I just got some of the Sara Lee bread which has brown sugar and corn syrup in it, but still only has 2g per slice. The ingredients are listed in the order of predominance, so I am sure the molasses is farther down on the ingredients listing, if there is only 1g of sugar per slice. Enjoy it! Monet is right; the shopper's guide was a Godsend to me when I started SB. It is well worth the $5 it costs. I think I got mine off Amazon. You may want to check out the site listed for vmoore below.

vmoore: Glad you enjoyed your birthday dinner. The site you were asking about is www.prettyimpressivestuff.com

Arcayne: Congrats on the 1.5#'s; keep up the great work with that aerobics class.

Monet: So sorry to hear about the gain, but there is no way it can be a "fat" gain. Maybe 1-2 pounds, but the rest has to be due to fluid retention or something else. I cannot even try to understand your frustration, but I get frustrated for you everytime I read your posts!! Hang in there!!

Jack-K: Good job staying strong at Bunco. Don't think I want to picture anyone doing squats in the shower . Way to get that TM time in this week!

Heart: HAPPY BIRTHDAY.....ENJOY YOUR SPECIAL DAY. YOU AND BOOGIE HAVE YOUR BIRTHDAYS SO CLOSE TOGETHER. .

Day: At Starbuck's, I order a vanilla latte (hot or cold) with skim milk, sugar-free vanilla syrup, and lite whip cream. I love it! Every serving size is different (ex: 1 slice of bread, 1/2 cup oatmeal, etc...)

Gator: Happy Birthday to your DH. Good luck avoiding the temptations! You can do it. Maybe DH can leave the cake at work to share with co-workers and not even bring it home.

I hope to get to Whole Foods today and stock up on fresh fruits & veggies!! We are getting low.

Better run!

Take care,
Nat

Last edited by Pancho; 04-22-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #70  

Hello all:

Just a quickie post as I have tons to do!!

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement - you all are wonderful!

MONET: I have lost a total of 10# since beginnig SB 3/15. I don't excercise, I try to find the time but never seem to.

PANCHO: I think I just get frustrated to easily!! I need to lighten up a bit! I am so used to seeing the rapid weight loss with Atkins (40# in 5 months) that I do get discouraged with losing so slowly or not at all.

GATOR: Doesn't it stink when the scale doesn't move!! It will though, soon for both of us!

JACK-K: I know I don't eat enough fruit, if any. I just don't like it at least not the legal ones anyway!! You're right about losing inches, I am comfortably back in size 14, shooting for my original 9/10's!!

VMOORE: YUM!!! Chinese, my favorite. Glad you enjoyed it and had a nice birthday.

ARCAYNE: Good job!!

MISHI: I like your attitude. No reason to beat yourself up over a little back-slide, you'll be back on track in no time.

Well, I better run.
Take care everyone

Lara
sxyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #71  

Hey again!
I forgot to ask:

Has anyone heard of Terra Chips? Are they ok for SB? Here are the ingredients:

Seasonal Mix of Taro, Sweet Potato, Yuca, Batata, Parsnip, Taro (Colored With Beet Juice), Canola Oil and/or Sunflower Oil, and Salt.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 oz. (28g)
Servings Per Container: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories 140 Calories from Fat 70

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 7g 11%

Saturated Fat 1g 6%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 70mg 3%

Total Carb. 18g 6%

Dietary Fiber 3g 12%

Sugars 1g

Protein 1g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 4%

Calcium 2% • Iron 2%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Also, what about Russell Stover SF chocolate??

Thanks!!
Lara
sxyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #72  

Just a quick howdy. All is fine my way. And glad to read you're all doing fine. I'll get back to regular posting soon. My eating has been pretty good. Tomorrow I grocery shop and can get stocked up. Have a great day.....
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #73  
Little Engine That Could

Lara, the chips are all root vegetables, fried. So, if you ate them non-fried, you'd count them as a starch. Also, I notice that 50% of the calories in a serving are from fat. Pretty high. Depending on how serious you are, and I think you are serious, I personally wouldn't make it a regular habit to have them. Perhaps as an occasional treat, when friends come over for lunch or something like that. If you compare them to potato chips, they probably are pretty much the same, as they also are fried root vegetables. Just my opinion. Re the SF chocolate, it depends on how much fat and "stuff" it has. Some people can't tolerate the sugar alcohols that are used to sweeten it, but if they give you no trouble, that's good. I'd probably put them in the same category as the taro chips. I have had an occasional SF chocolate for a treat, but not recently. What I use now is 70% chocolate, also called bittersweet made by Scharfenbarger. It is a fine chocolate. I get it at Whole Foods and it comes in 1 oz. bars for almost $3. So you can see it is expensive. I have a 1/4 oz piece if I ne-e-e-e-e-ed chocolate for hormones, mood elevating, etc. LOL
A 1/4 oz. piece is 90 calories, which is 2 miles of walking. So, I don't have it very often either. What you have to ask yourself when thinking about having them, especially the chips, is whether the little bit you get--1 oz.--is worth the calories you will be consuming. And ask if after an hour or so, that 1 oz. of chips will still be satisfying, or will you be hungry for something more lasting by then.
GatorGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi again,

Ended up going out with a friend for lunch. I had 1/2 egg salad sandwich and cup of tomatoe soup (no sugar). I sat byt he case with all the homemade brownies, cookies, etc. It was killing me. I wanted a bit so badly. Now I really need somehing sweet. So I am chewing this gum like a cow.

We are also going out with friends for dinner. Never have been to the place we are going. Hope they have something I can do legally.

I will be able to get my TM minutes in before we go. Gator has me really thinking about calories/exercise now.

Day, a starchy carb is 1 pc ww bread, 1/2 cup ww pasta, oats I think is 1/4 cup. Deb always said 80 calories to a starchy carb. The ww tortillas are usually 2 starchy carbs. Your menu looks good to me.

Gator, even though SB has been the only thing to ever work for me, I still believe those calories count. You can't comsume so much more than you burn. You are so right, I couple kisses will blow your whole exercise time. Is that worth it? Not really. You are smart to figure out the foods you like and work around them. Basically that's what we really eat when it comes down to it. Thinner people know that eat a no-no, leave off someething else. It's us fat people that can't figure that out. I'm with you, I love to eat out. Now that there is just the 2 of us especially. We can only do the best we can. I know with your determination you will be where you want to be when you leave for Paris.

Nat, I bet Britt is so excited about the play and you too! What I would give to see 119 just once in my life.

Sxyredhead, I'm not much of a fruit eater either. That's my last choice, but after SB you learn to like some more. We just have to make ourselves do it for awhile. Those chips are legal (watch your serving size) but count as a starchy carb. RS candyis ok. It affects some people (not me) badly. But it can trigger sugar cravings. Don't overdo it.

Toni, back on track soon, Yeah!

Talk to you all tomorrow

Jackie
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:04 PM   #75  

RED: I am going to contradict JackK here....the Terra chips contain parsnips and taro which are NOT legal for SB. Both are ultra high on the Glycemic Index. I would pass them by and see if you can find just the sweet potato ones. The jalapeno ones are not too bad. Nuts make a good salty snack if salty is what you have a taste for.