Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 04-24-2004, 04:39 AM   #1  

Default My first post at 3FC! Questions about SB!

Hi everyone! I was recently on Atkins and I after losing 8 lbs in 1 month, I decided I couldn't stick to it. It was too restricted. After 2 weeks of eating regularly, I gained all the weight back plus an additional 5 lbs.
So now I'm considering SB. I do have some questions before I run out and buy the book, though. So thanks in advance for your time!

1) Do you gain all the weight back if you stray for a few days?
2) Do you need to get into some kind fat-burning mode, like ketosis (from Atkins)?
3) What is the average amount of weight lost in a one week period?
4) Do you need to count calories? In Atkins, I only counted carbs, not calories.

Please enlighten me

Karin
MissyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Hi, Karin! I'm not a South Beacher or an Atkins person but saw this is your first post and wanted to say hello! I've looked at the South Beach diet ... I think you basically do a very low carb thing for an induction period and then add healthy carbs back in phases. I don't think they count calories. Couldn't answer your other questions. IMO SB is healthier than Atkins ... just an opinion, but I think everyone should ask their doc before doing these diets!

Anyway, I really just wanted to say hi!!!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:16 AM   #3  

Thanks! You're also the first person to reply to me on this board!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:55 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Missy -- Let me be the 2nd to say HI! With a big to you!

Sorry I don't do SB or Atkins... Altho I tried Atkins several years ago, it just was way too much fat for me that I gained weight on it and had no energy for workouts... I've done WW way too restrictive on the calories ... Then I found Body for Life by Bill Phillips, which in my personal opinion, is the best well rounded food plan and lifestyle that I can stick to because of all the weight training and exercising I do.

I truly believe that a "lifestyle" "forever" change is better than any "diet", because a "diet" has a beginning and an end...Eating often keeps my insulin well balanced because I eat 5-6 small meals/day. And this works for me just perfectly.

I usually hang around at the Ladies (and Gents) Who Lift here at 3FC... But I lurk all over hence finding your post...

Anyways, all this to say WELCOME, find yourself a comfy chair, soon you will find some exceptional people here to help you along your way to a HEALTHIER life...

Later...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #5  

By "SB" are you referring to South Beach, or Sugar Busters? It is so easy to get them confused. I really cannot answer your questions because I am just now beginning the Sugar Busters. I am quite sure, however, that there is no ketosis in Sugar Busters. As for the going off the diet I think it is always true that if you do you set yourself back somewhat.

You don't count calories or anything else on this diet, but you must give up all sugar and white flour items. There are not many rules, but read your book carefully. For instance fruit should be eaten at a different time than other foods; grains such as bread and cereal should be limited; portion sizes should be reasonable, etc., etc.

I don't know anything about the South Beach. I understand it is very much like Atkins in many ways.

Good Luck!!
ElizabethMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:46 AM   #6  

I was beginning to wonder if people were getting confused about what I meant by SB.
I meant Sugar Busters. Sorry for the confusion.
I wouldn't do South Beach, as I've just gotten off Atkins. I found the weight came back too quickly.