Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: With Halloween around the corner, how do you think you'll handle the candy issue?
I swore to stay totally OP and not have a single piece 8 28.57%
I promised I'd have just 1 piece and that would be it! 0 0%
I plan on having a tiny piece of SB LEGAL CHOCOLATE as my treat. 2 7.14%
I have a WEIGHT & SEE ATTITUDE right now. 2 7.14%
I'm not holding out for much hope for myself. 1 3.57%
You mean it's not Halloween already? I'm already guilty! 2 7.14%
I'm not opening my door, didn't buy any candy, not an issue! 6 21.43%
I'll let you know AFTER Friday! 4 14.29%
Can someone just tie my hands and tape my mouth up? Let's just say, I'm worried! 3 10.71%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #136  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Hello again!

Jack-K....how are you holding up with the candy corn? I've attached a little graphic for you at the bottom. I'm fixing to take my walk. Yesterday I didn't feel well so I didn't get out. It's kinda hot so I really don't want to. I hope the cooler weather comes back soon.

Yellow...I don't know how to describe the flavor of curry but I know I like it. When I got married the first time I got brave and tried all kinds of new things we didn't have growing up. You can make a mean pork stew with it.

Green RN..that's wisdom to have some legal candy around when so much of the bad stuff is out there to temp ya.

ChrisD....wtg on the 3 pounds. I bet you will make goal before Christmas. Keep up the good work.

JakcieO...I bet she will be just precious. We don't celebrate so my 18 year old told me the other day...See mom what you've deprived us of....LOL Trust me, he aint deprived. At 260+ I probably should have deprived him a little more.

kengjw ..I would have a hard time passing up some good chinese right now. I love the volocano chicken with extra peppers. The teryiake with extra peppers is another of my favorites. Enjoy. Don't think of it as a cheat but a treat.

Jenn...have fun with the girls tonight. I sure wish you could pass some of that cold air down this way. I have the AC on again.

Susan...so glad you are feeling better. And won't have to go through this much longer. Praying your surgery goes well and fixes things for you.

Howdy to everybody else. I'm thinking of you all and wishing you a safe and happy Holiday.

Love and hugs,
Crystle
Old 10-31-2003, 03:02 PM   #137  

Happy Halloween to all of my Sugar Buster Friends!! This is going to be a quick one....just wanted to get these recipes posted for you. I haven't tried these yet, but am hoping to make the Applesauce Brownies today.

From the "Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking"

Applesauce Brownies

1/2 C butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (1oz)
3/4 C Splenda ( I am using 1 tsp liquid stevia, don't know what the equivalent would be for those of you using agave.)
2 eggs beaten
3/4 NSA applesauce
1 1/4 t vanilla
1 C WW pastry flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

Chocolate nut topping

2 T Splenda
1/4 C nuts
1/2 C semisweet chocolate pieces ( I am going to use a Sugar Free Candy bar chopped up)

Melt together butter and chocolate in small saucepan over low heat. Add sugar, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt until evenly combined. Add to chocolate mixture; beat well. Pour batter into greased 8" square baking pan.
Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake in 350* oven 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool; cut into squares. Yield 16.

Apricot Balls

1 C dried apricots
1/2 C walnuts
1/2 C NSA coconut
2 T wheat germ
4 T orange juice
1/3 finely chopped walnuts

Put apricots, 1/2 C walnuts and coconut through food grinder. Add wheat germ and orange juice; mix well. Form into 1 " balls. Roll in chopped walnuts; refrigerate. Yield 20 to 24.

Apple-Oat Bars

1 C WW pastry flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 C brown sugar twin
1 1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 C butter
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/3 C chopped walnuts
2 C thinly sliced peeled apples (3 medium apples)

Sift together flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon until evenly mixed. Add brown sugar twin and oats. Stir in butter, egg, and vanilla; mix well. Place half of dough in bottom of greased 9 inch square baking pan. Sprinkle nuts over dough. Arrange apple slices over nuts. Sprinkle remaining dough over apples; press lightly. Bake at 350* 25 to 30 minutes. Cool; cut into bars. Yield 18.

I hope to get to try these other two next week. Need to pick up some wheat germ, apricots, and some walnuts.

Will be back later to read the board, and hopefully post.

Last edited by Teensybean; 10-31-2003 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:07 PM   #138  

Sef: We would have such a good time in LA>>>>come, please come.

Green rn: On the agave, I buy it at Whole Foods when I am in Dallas and I only have to buy it in 8 oz bottles. I don’t know how long it lasts but I have had some for years and it is still okay. The light is more like honey and the dark is a “little” more like molasses. I almost always use the same amount or a little less than is required for sugar. Sometimes I will put in a little less liquid if that seems important in a recipe. It stays just as sweet in a heated recipe. Come down to Dallas and we will shop around for it.

Kengjw: Yes, the aroma of curry is soooo nice. Glad to see you back on the board.

CountryMom: I talked with my daughter near Galveston just a few minutes ago and she said it was hot and she was in shorts.

Time for a walk. I have made it so far every day. Can’t mess up my record now.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #139  

Mole Family

-- A mama mole, a papa mole, and a baby mole all live in a little mole hole.

One day the papa mole sticks his head out of! the hole, sniffs the air and says,"Yum! I smell maple syrup!"

The mama mole sticks her head out of the hole, sniffs the air and says "Yum! I smell honey!"

The baby mole tries to stick his head out of the hole to sniff the air, but can't because the bigger moles
are in the way so he says, "Geez, all I can smell
is....

Scroll down.......

Get ready.....

Are you sure you're ready?
You may never forgive me for this one...

MOLASSES!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #140  

Default Okay, I feel bad...

but satisfied...LOL. It has been so long since I had general tso chicken and it was indeed a treat, Countrymom. I checked my blood sugar one hour later, wasn't too please but not too high either. Okay, I did eat the fried rice too.

I am seriously thinking of buying an exercise equipment and my 2 choices are stationery bike or treadmill. I am currently doing some research about these 2 equipments. I am leaning towards a bike because it seems more suitable for a "lazy-to-exercise" kind of gal...lol. I certainly do not intend to use it as a clothes hanger so I am going to do some research about them. I want to buy an exercise equipment because after Jess is asleep at night, I can just hop on it and do some workout before I go to sleep. I don't get to walk too much with Jess, she is all over the place. Anyone owns an exercise equipment? Any tips or suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, I am just going to tell dh that I want an exercise equipment for my christmas present...lol. I am hoping to spend less than $200 (I know many costs way more than that especially a treadmill but I would consider a used equipment. I also found some reviews on some bikes that are within my budget too).

Countrymom : I had a good chuckle over your attachment. Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Good day everyone!

Julia
Old 10-31-2003, 03:52 PM   #141  

Well, are we staying away from the candy today? Part of my defense against the evil candy is to wait until the last moment to buy any and only buy the stuff I don't really care for. It's not foolproof but it helps. Now my only problem is staying out of Seth's candy tonight. He just got braces this year and there will be a lot of things he can't eat, gosh I just love those tootsie rolls, and gee he can't eat them and I hate to see them go to waste with all those starving children in China that have probably never even seen a tootsie roll and would be oh, so grateful to have one and AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I can see it already.

Well, I'll just jump in on the curry discussion. I think that's one of those things that you either really like or really don't. I really don't.

Well, I better run. Have a good day everybody.

Trish

Hook 'Em Horns!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 04:10 PM   #142  

Hello

I got to this forum off the Sugar Busters site, and I'm assuming it's a SB forum?

I've been trying to follow Atkins. I've been eating about 30 - 40 gms carbs/day and lots of fat.

I've only lost 5 lbs.

I've struggled to lose 23 lbs over the last year, tortuously slow.

I'm thinking of reducing the amount of fat I eat and increasing the carbs.

I posted this on the Atkins forum and go shot down.

I have an underactive thryoid that I take medication for. I've read that when we go below 60 gms/carbs a day we decrease our thyroid hormone conversion.

I'm extremely frustrated and confused about what I should be eating to lose and maintain my loss. I'm a very active person, but even when we go on week long kayak trips, I gain weight. I gain about 5 lbs on every holiday then it takes me 2 months to lose it.

I feel doomed.

Do you think I should reduce my fat and eat a few more carbs to increase my available thyroid hormone?

I also don't lose anything if I eat much more than 60 gms a day.

I want off this merry go round and onto something I can do for life.

Can anyone help me??

Thank you!

Maggie
Old 10-31-2003, 04:14 PM   #143  

Well, I can see a "not so fun" evening ahead. We are supposed to be going to a friend's house at 3:00 (it is now a little after 2). Delaney has been in her crib for over an hour, playing! She has not gone to sleep, and if she doesn't....she is going to be one cranky Blue (Blue's Clues is what she picked). Give me strength to deal with a major meltdown in a few hours. I don't want to have to leave early because it won't be fair for Britt. I may have to take Delaney for a drive to get her to sleep later this evening. Oh well.

I made Country's meatloaf last night. I need to quit making her recipes unless I invite the army over . So much for our little family. It turned out great though. I did use a large can of tomato sauce and should've used a smaller one. I had a meatloaf sandwich for lunch, and it really tasted great! I used some wheat bread crumbs that I had, and then also used some oatmeal; it turned out nice and moist. I had a fruit-sweetened ketchup that I topped it with. Thank again for the recipe CountryMom.

I have to admit that I don't think I've ever had curry; guess I better try it.

I will post some pictures of the girls on Monday since I won't have much time to post over the weekend.

jecrites: Have fun with the girls tonight.

jackieO: Have fun with GD. My DD is a princess every year; this year it is Snow White!

chrisd: We look forward to pics of Dominic. Have fun with him tonight.

green: I will have to check into that with our Wal-Marts here; it sounds as if they probably do it all over. I will have to look at their ads and see if there is anything I just have to have, or if there is somewhere else I'd rather stand in line at 4 a.m. (ha). What a great idea to have family members go to different stores and get stuff for everyone; what a way to take advantage of those savings.

Ken: I'm glad you enjoyed your lunch. Every once in awhile you have to do that, and not feel guilty about it. Just jump back on plan and wait awhile before you do it again.

Country: Way to stay away from those muffins...what willpower. You are baking/cooking all the time, and your downfall is a few cheese nips....I'd be eating all my good cooking if I were you
. Thanks for the funny; I liked it.

Teensy: The brownies sound awesome; let us know how they turn out; I might try them with the agave, and top it with 70% chocolate.

Have a safe and fun evening, everyone!!

Take care,
Nat
Old 10-31-2003, 04:25 PM   #144  

YKMaggie, welcome to our little corner of the world. There are several people here who have successfully converted from Atkins to Sugarbusters. A couple of things to keep in mind, SB is not a low carb WOE, it is a low sugar WOE, big difference. We do not really count carbs and I know that mindset was a big hurdle for a lot of former Atkin's folks. Also, if you haven't read the book, I would encourage you to do so. Monet is our resident thyroid expert. Finally, at least for me, SB did not melt the pounds away like Atkins did for some people. The main difference is that SB is a way of eating that I can pretty much maintain for the long haul without feeling deprived.

So, I don't guess I really answered your questions, but I'm sure someone else will. Glad to have you aboard.

Trish
Old 10-31-2003, 04:29 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Has anyone had to go out and buy more candy yet? I sure hope not. I have faith in all of you to beat this obstacle.

I have been saving this tidbit for MM, but maybe need to share it today:

Sign on church board: When faced with a challenge, find a way; not a way out.

Find a way NOT to eat that candy.

It will be dark before I get home so the little ones will be out before I get my pizza made. DH can give out candy but I hate not seeing all the little cuties.

We are going to the track tomorrow with DH's work. No problem on food as they have a buffet with salad and roast beef and ham, etc. Just will avoid the potatoes and Derby pie. May have 1 glass of wine or nothing. Just hope I win something for a change. I will surely bet on any horse related to sugar or any of your names here for luck.

Deb cute jokes. Good luck to Michael tomorrow.

Pancho, What a cute idea about Rudolph. Hope your kiddies have fun tonight, and you too. Hope Delaney gets that nap in.

Fillise, glad youa re feeling better. Not a good way to lose 5 lbs but I would gladly take them. I like that story a day book idea. I may try to find one. I have a set of twins I always give books to at Christmas, and that would be a great idea.

Jecrites, I'm surprised that your weather is turning colder. It is almost 80 here and we usually get your weather. They are forcasint high 70's for the next whole week.

Ashley, ni, I'm not at goal. I'm at least 10 lbs from it and really would like 5 more on top of that. I just have played around with it since the wedding. Have fun with your gd tonight. I'm staying far away from the candy corn.

Yellow, you deserve to enjoy those beautful days in NC. When you return to Texas you might not get anymore. I could go down 43 stps, but not up w/o being winded.

Chris, before you take a bite of that candy, remember your goal for Christmas. Don't want to take this stuff of twice. Good luck. Congrats on the 3 lbs.

Sef, make sure you see my NH joke. The seniors will love it.

Green, agave is like gold to us. It tastes like honey. Works like it too. I use the light but that is all I have ever seen. I get mine at the HFS. It is pricy, $5.00 for a small bottle. But worth it. Have fun being a Dr and Nurse tonight. Maybe the drs should be nurses and the nurses-drs.

Kengjw, General's chicken is my favorite too. In fact, the only Chinese I like. But boy is it sweet. I had it last week when I was eating anything and everything. We have a home gym which we use everyday. Try a used sporting goods store. They are much cheaper.

Country, Good for you not eating the biscuits. I knew you could do it. My boss opened the candy corn. I begged him not too. (He must think I'm crazy). It was on the kitchen table, but I went out to lunch so I avoided looking at it. They moved it to the stove so they think they are hiding it from me. I thought about having 1 pc but I know I can't sdtop there so I won't have any, I promise. Such a cute picture of the candy corn, I almost licked the screen. Do you all celebrate Nov 1st instead of today? Oh, I forgot to tell you. I still have a box of hot cheese nips in the pantry. The other night they were really calling my name loudly. I finally opened the pantry, picked up the box, almost had it opened, and I told it to just shut up, and threw is back on the shelf. Should have thrown them in the trash, but I hate to waste with all those Hungry kids in China.

Teensy, cute joke. Let me know how those apple/oat bars turn out.

Trish, I do the same, buy what I don't like. I didn't this year, but I promise not to indulge. I like tootsie rolls too. Glad I don't have that battle to overcome (kids bringing it home).

Maggie, Deb is one to answer your questions, and Monet with thyroid problem. But this is such an easy way to eat and lose with and it's something you can do for life and enjoy. Good luck.

Have a good sugar fee night and a great weekend. I will be back on board on Monday.

Jackie
Old 10-31-2003, 05:08 PM   #146  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

HAPPY HALLOWEENY TO EVERY BUDDY!!!!!

Hard day today...the new system goes live tomorrow morning at 6am....LUCKY ME...I don't have to go in though...Monday will be soon enough for me...I've sorta got a handle on my section of the system, and for once, after all these years of having to fix other peoples problems..... BOB WON'T HAVE TO DO THAT ANYMORE!! cause I've not been trained on anything but MY PART!!! Keep those fingers crossed for me on Monday though...I'll need it!

Well CHICKO'S....I had to make the call anyway, but what I did was still easy for me. I discovered that during the worst part of Jeff's Mothers illness, he had to quit his job and move from Lexington to Paris to take care of her. The telephone number that his SIL had left for me was on my desk. I check the OBIT to see the time of the funeral, and discovered the visitation was at noon today and the service at 2pm. I checked the internet for reversal telephone info which gives you the name, address and such of the person that the telephone belongs to. WELL..the number is unlisted and didn't give me any info....SO.....I tried the number that Joyces had left for me expecting the phone machine to pick up. NO PHONE MACHINE! SO, I waited until the visitation started and called the Funeral Home. I spoke with one of the men who works there, and it turned out that I knew him from all the years Jeff and I were together. I asked him to give Jeff a message for me and he understood why I wanted him to do it and told me that he would go and do it when we hung up. I will still send a card to his Brother and SIL since I already have their address. After I hung up, it dawned on me that I should have asked for the home address, but................(I don't have this address because his Mother had moved into a smaller place from their big house they lived in when we were together.) I feel good for having done it, and I know that he will call at some point, but I'm ready for that when it happens.

I hope everyone has had a SUGAR FREE DAY.....I HAVE SO FAR!!!

No movies came out this week that I wanted to see, so no MOVIE REVIEWS this week....

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!!!

BOB
Old 10-31-2003, 06:14 PM   #147  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Our pumpkin
Old 10-31-2003, 06:34 PM   #148  

YKMAGGIE: I have heard the same thing about thyroid conversion needing carbs to work properly. I did Protein Power for three or four years and lost ten pounds. It was terribly frustrating. I switched to SB, and started to lose, albeit very slowly. Its now been about five and a half years since I started to very seriously take control of my weight, and I have lost a total of 45 pounds. I tend to lose in spurts. My thyroid problem was basically a conversion problem, as I do not seem to be able to convert T4 to T3. My doctor, who is wonderful, has me on a special formulation of T3 in addition to Unithroid, which is T4. He is also monitoring my insulin levels, and has me on Glucophage to help bring them down to the proper, normal level. He recommends SB to his patients, and follows it himself. Your comments about how easy it is to gain, and how hard it is to lose sound terribly familiar to me. I gained while following Weight Watchers faithfully! Give SB a try. It is an easy diet to follow, and very healthy. You might want to broach the subject of T3 supplementation with your doctor. If you have not looked over the About.com thyroid pages, I heartily recommend them. They report on all the latest research and have a list of the best doctors, and tons of info. Also, in case you did not know this, you should avoid any soy products. Soy binds with thyroid and makes it unusable to the cells. Fermented soy products are ok, like soy sauce, miso and tempeh, but tofu and soy milk etc., are not ok. I hope you stay and give SB a try...It is the type of program you can stay on for life!
Old 10-31-2003, 06:49 PM   #149  

Thanks Monet!

I actually take 4 grains (240 mg) of armour thryoid, and 50 mg of synthroid. I notice when I do very LC my body temp drops way down to 97.5 or less.

I'd forgotten about soy, and have been eating tons! LC tortilla wraps and pasta.

It looks like we're supposed to eat no more than 3, 1/2 cup servings of low GI starch per day with this WOE. Is fruit on top of that? I'm hoping I'll get my book back from the friend I loaned it too.

Thanks for responding!

Maggie
Old 10-31-2003, 08:32 PM   #150  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

I thought I'd be able to get on earlier and not fall so far behind but it seems that there's so many posts with me having so little time that I hope you understand if I can't reply to all right now. If I try I won't get it all done and thus, fall farther behind esp since I won't be around much this weekend. Will try to get in what I can

LAUREN was so upset tonight, the neighbor's daughter who LAUREN just met the other day asked if she wanted to go out T or T with her so LAUREN said yes, instead of going with my nephew and they ended up not going out and LAUREN was standing there all dressed up to go. So, I called and told my DM that I was bringing LAUREN over to my sisters, they were just walking out the house, so my DM said, 3 minutes before we got there-we ge there and can't find them, drive around and around and nada So, home we came, poor kid was crying! I called to tell MICHAEL that we were on our way home and what happened and he offered to go out with her. She felt so bad and I hope this helps. It's not so much that she wants the candy, she just likes dressing up and going out.

I made up 40 little bags of candy and have now had to make a few more as I was starting to run low. I don't make bags for little itty bitty kids, like 1-3 year olds, but instead give them a few pieces of candy I know they can eat and not choke on plus a little miniature childrens book. I bought bags of them years ago at a garage sale and give them out every year since but I think this is the last year, I don't think I'll have but a couple left, if that. Kids like the little books.

To some replies...

ROSE, you know, with ELI and the way he cooks, nothing is ever the same twice. He can throw things together and make them taste great, me, it's a whole 'nother story! I have to say, as good as Shorty's cole slaw is, I really do hold yours that you made this summer a close second! I loved it! Did you get up that road today? Have you notified all the stores at home you're coming back???

PANCHO, hope you took picture of your pumpkin when you have it lit, in the dark. LAUREN helped carve ours again this year. I've sorta retired but help when needed. I usually do elaborate ones but I'm giving her the carving tools now. Yes, I can easily be 100% OP if I set my mind to it. I did it for 2 years straight without trouble and I have survived Thanksgiving easily. I have so many great recipes for the holidays and honestly, some of the stuff I make, like the stuffing and the cranberry sauce is preferred over the usual ones made by other family members.

TEENSY, eggplant is just fine, though as I did mention, technically a fruit but eaten as a vegetable. There's so many veggies that people eat that they don't realize they are actually a fruit. If it has seeds it's a fruit. Be careful, you NEVER know when I may turn up

JACKK, I absolutely LOVED the FF's you posted I too like candy corn but never buy it. I use to take the kids cc when they had them in individual bags. Do you eat them where you bite off each section, as I do? How'd the pizza come out?

FILLISE, hope you're feeling better!

JACKIEO, hope you had fun taking your GD out tonight!!!!

ROSE, I don't think we can find the legal fructose here in the states. Most are made from corn. It has a lower impact than sugar so if you are only using a small amount it should be okay, just don't use too much, I'd say. As usual, everything in moderation.

CHRIS, first off, CONGRATS on this weeks 3lb loss!!!! Did DS have fun tonight? I got one of those Inside Out Reeses at the B/M the other day, she had a huge bowl of them, wasn't impressed, like the old ones.

SEF, you think I'm a doozie, eh? Just ask the gals who've met me if I'm joking when I say I'll come get you - they'd be right beside me strutting up to your front door. Not home, we'll hunt you down!!!!

GREEN, hope you had a nice evening at work. What kind of nurse are you? What kind of hospital do you work at?

KEN, don't like candy? Are you human? I think my DD isn't mine, she doesn't like chocolate - that's just plain un-American I think, heck, it's just plain un-human!!! Have to say, I don't care for the smell of curry myself - reminds me of stinky armpits.

Okay, I have to try and p/u where I have to leave off. ELI just got home and is making dinner and I keep going back and forth to the door.

Will check in tomorrow at some point.

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Closed Thread