Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: With Halloween around the corner, how do you think you'll handle the candy issue?
I swore to stay totally OP and not have a single piece 8 28.57%
I promised I'd have just 1 piece and that would be it! 0 0%
I plan on having a tiny piece of SB LEGAL CHOCOLATE as my treat. 2 7.14%
I have a WEIGHT & SEE ATTITUDE right now. 2 7.14%
I'm not holding out for much hope for myself. 1 3.57%
You mean it's not Halloween already? I'm already guilty! 2 7.14%
I'm not opening my door, didn't buy any candy, not an issue! 6 21.43%
I'll let you know AFTER Friday! 4 14.29%
Can someone just tie my hands and tape my mouth up? Let's just say, I'm worried! 3 10.71%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM   #46  

Wow, it feels like I am falling behind here; there are a lot of posts since I was last on yesterday. I will not be on the board tomorrow a.m., but will try to get on tomorrow afternoon. We have our Halloween party for our MOM's Club at 9:30 a.m., and then have to have Britt to school at 12 for a field trip. I will then pick her up at 3, and hopefully be home by 3:30 - 4:00. I plan to go to the gym at 6:00 a.m tomorrow too. Today I weighed 122.5, and hope to be around there tomorrow too, but might forget to post it since I am going to be busy!

As of last night, my sister and her family were back in their home, but not sure if they were going to be able to stay or not. They are just waiting it out right now.

I just finished a small bowl of cantaloupe, and will probably go make some oatmeal soon. I am still a little congested, but will try to get to the gym today when Britt is in school. She is off school on Thurs & Fri, so I will only get to work out today, tomorrow a.m., and Saturday a.m. Better than nothing!

Anyway....on to some replies:

Yellow: Thanks for the info. on the cheesecake....I am going to try it soon.

BOB: I know you are missing Skeeter terribly! I tried to find a poem that I read when I lost both of my dogs (within 4 months of one another). It basically said, "you have been such a good "mom" and it would be unfair if another dog wasn't able to experience the love and affection that you are able to give. It would flatter me if you got another dog because that means your experience with me was positive and you want to love another dog the way you loved me. Please get another dog to love." You do have to do it when you are ready though, but it does help you get over the lonely feeling. We actually bought a Golden Retriever puppy 3 weeks before we lost one dog, and she was already there and getting used to things, and it helped with the transition. When the day is right, you will know it!

Monet: Sorry to hear about your dr's appt. The cake turned out awesome!

Deb: I am glaed to hear that your cousin is doing well. Thanks for the info. I think your cousin may live near my sister. I know my sister said that 10 homes in their development burned down, and they are near that Scripps Ranch that lost 150 homes. My sister can see Qualcomm stadium from her home.

heart: Can't wait to see if your weight is still down tomorrow for WIW. You've done so well; it's nice to see it pay off. Enjoy your Halloween. I am going to have pizza and a few pieces of candy. If you have a handicap permit, than "screw" everyone else. I get frustrated when people park there without permits. BUT, you have one and should use it. I would also be the first to tell everyone to mind their own business. When Britt was going through her esophagus issues, she would cought everytime she ate. We would be in a restaurant and she would start coughing and everyone would look and start talking. I felt like saying, "she's not sick....it's not contagious....mind your own business." Oh well!

Mom: I have known some children that are not talking yet by 2 1/2 years of age (especially boys). I have a friend whose son did not start talking until he was close to 3. I also have a friend whose daughter did not say more than a few words, and then by 3, she was talking in full sentences. I would say to hold off, or at least get a second opinion. Every child is so different, and they are put into certain classifications. I also had a friend whose daughter did not walk until she was well over 2 years of age. She was a wreck and was told to go to so many different doctors. It turned out that her daughter just "feared" getting knocked over or falling, and eventually started and has been fine since. If you do go through with it, I would do what the doctors receommend; they are trained to do this sort of thing. Godd luck to you!

Sef: Glad you enjoyed a "down" day for a change.

agape: Yeah, check into the Carnitine Tartrate. I will always have it around. I plan to take some the week of Thanksgiving for the food metabolism aspect, as well as the energy. Whenever we are going to be going out for the day and are going to be doing a "high" activity outing, I always take a few before we leave because it gives me extra energy.

Teensy: Wow, what a trade on the trucks! Glad your Eggplant Parm. turned out; makes me want to make some.

Zanne: Hope today is a better day. We will all have days like that, but we need to put it behind us and move on, as you have. I think if we can all learn to allow ourselves a little of whatever we want, but only in moderation we will do o.k.

jackieO: Can't answer your question on the skin tags, but I hope it is not too expensive and hope all goes well.

Better go make some breakfast.

Have a great OP day.
Nat
Old 10-28-2003, 11:49 AM   #47  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

OMG! Thank goodness I went in the kitchen when I did! I totally forgot that I had put on some eggs to boil and almost an hour later I heard a pop - thankfully they didn't burst all over but there wasn't a drop of water in the pan - told you I can't cook!

ROSE, I love good eggplant parm. The places I use to depend on finding good eggplant parm are no longer around. I'm not one to go for Italian, except for EP, so my hopes of finding a decent place are small. When are you leaving to go back to TX?

JACKK, glad you are doing better today, wish I could say the same. Started off okay but I didn't make it through this morning. I need a good arse kicking!!!! If I was able to afford that house you'd be sure that someone would not only be cleaning the toilets but my butt as well!!!

PANCHO, I do think they live near each other. I asked my cousin about the stadium among some other things and this is her reply:

Yes, I live right next to the stadium. They used it as a shelter the
past couple days, but have been trying to get people to an enclosed
shelter so they don't breathe the air. I went over there yesterday to
bring a quilt, clothes, towels, toiletries and food.
I keep hearing sirens. It is like a war zone.
I have all my windows shut tight but some of the smell leaks through.
Everyone is wearing those filter masks. I had one yesterday from my
doctor and then lost it in the grocery. Someone grabbed it right up!

Okay, I'm going back to the kitchen to go through some MC receipts to try and throw some away, still cleaning. Will watch the Marlins victory parade on TV as I clean

Toodles

Deb
Old 10-28-2003, 12:04 PM   #48  

Hi, everybody. Wow, the board has been hopping this week. Well, let me just say that I have determined that I am strictly a Day Camper. You all may remember that I agreed to go camping this week-end, and I did not love it! During the day was fine, but then the cold front blew through and the wind blew all night, then Sunday morning it started raining. This is not for me.

We've been worried sick about the fires in California. Jordan is in San Diego at Marine Boot Camp. Right now, his group is at Camp Pendleton. We got a letter from him that he wrote on Thursday and he sounded like things were alright. The hardest part is not being able to call him and hear his voice to know for myself that he's fine. The last thing I heard was that they were expecting some help from the weather today or tomorrow so that's good.

I did pretty good eating this week-end. I could have done better, I did have a couple of marshmellows over the fire and 2 light beers. Last night's dinner was supposed to have been grilled sausage and sauteed cabbage, but Joe thought he was turning the grill down but really turned it on high, so we had charcoal sausages. So we had sandwiches and cabbage.

Deb, I got tickled at your poll this week. I haven't bought Halloween candy yet for that exact reason. I know if I bought it ahead of time, there wouldn't be any left by Friday. If I'm buying it, I always try to buy something that I'm not really crazy about, so that helps too. If the weather is nice, we usually sit outside with our neighbors to pass out candy and I'm not near as tempted that way either.

Gotta run. Talk to you guys soon.

Trish
Old 10-28-2003, 12:45 PM   #49  
Goddess

Morning all--thins will be quick as I have a lot to do before i leave for Montgomery.

The date for my surgery has been set for Friday, December 5th. TOM started yesterday so this should be the next to the last one! YES! I'd do it tomorrow if I could!!!!!

Yesterday was good as far as eating went. Tonight's reception will be the challenge. Near as I can tell it is only reception food not dinner (but goes from 5-8:00--what's sup with that). We may leave early and go out to dinner.

I hope everyone has a good op day today! My Tuesday tip is to take each day one at the time. It's especially important this time of year because even if you plan a little splurge on Friday, it's important to remember that today is NOT Friday! We can get into real trouble if we throw away good nutritional habits for the entire week, just because we know we will eat off program on one day. That's when we begin to careen out of control!

Susan
Old 10-28-2003, 12:47 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

MOM- I would definetly get your son to the neurologist to rule out any physical condition. If it happens that there is something apparent, then you caught it early and they have programs that can help your little one while it's early. Sedation- shouldn't be a problem at all. With Boogie's heart, he can't even take cold meds, but he's been sedated several times and it's never hurt him. It helps make it less traumatic for the child. If you could, ask the docs to give Jared "versed" it calms them down and it acts like temporary amnesia- they won't remember the actual procedure, but when it wears off , they will be fine, only temporary. Boogie got this before his last surgery and he was like a silly drunk. It helped me knowing that he wouldn't remember them prepping him for surgery.

Well, I made a deer sausage, egg and cheese quiche for breakfast- sounds good, but it wasn't that great. I have some hamburger meat that I need to do something with so I'm fixing to make Boogie and I a cheeseburger. For supper, I'm making mexican chicken, squash, and maybe beans or cabbage- can't decide. I got on the scale today and the stupid thing was back up 2 pounds!! I hope it's back down by tomorrow or I'm going to be dissapointed. At least I have my exercise class this evening. Didn't have the time to do my WATP tape yesterday. Alright, gotta cook us some lunch and take Boogie to the doctor.

DEB- If Boogie's not with me, I never park in handicap. Now that would be wrong. And if I see an available spot close to the front, I'll take it before parking in the handicap. BTW- did you say you ate a gallon of ice cream in 24 hours or did I misread that?! It had to been the best ice cream ever! LOL! I have gone thru 1/2 gallon in 3 days all by myself.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:02 PM   #51  

Hi

I am still staying on program and if I can talk myself into it, I will walk a little later. The temp is at 53 now and it is overcast and I have been waiting for it to get warmer but as it is already almost 3 PM, I think this is as good as it is going to get. MUST GET OUT! MUST GET OUT!

Deb: Ray and I will start our return trip to Texas Nov. 8th....We have made a pack not to discuss or do anything toward leaving until the first of Nov so we can enjoy every last bit of fall color here. What is fun is that the fall color will just be starting when we get to Dallas. Superdave, have you seen any signs of fall, yet? I wrote a message last week about our visit with your folks as well as seeing some lovely pictures of you....did you see it? I saw a recipe about an eggplant curry dish that sounds good. When I try it, I will let you know.

Ray says to tell you hi, also.

Trish: Your description of camping was so cute. My daughter talked me into just the two of going camping and I am with you...it was not for me. It turned cold and rainy. We could hear cars going over a bridge nearby (we thought we were in an isolated part of the campground, HA!). DH said to just think of them as sounding like waves...didn’t work for me. Dh and I always have fun but I would rather spend my rainy days at the malls.
Okay....Must get out for that walk!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:26 PM   #52  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Let MICHAEL drive home, he comes soooo close to a car that I was freaking. He said he know he wouldn't hit it and that he has good depth perception, yeah, right! I went balistic! That's all I need, to be nervous like that, no way I think I got my point across! I told him what would it of hurt to wait another 1-2 seconds for the car to move up a tad and then go.

TRISH, have you seen the msg. from my cousin in SD I posted for PANCHO? Hope they aren't keeping them outside and doing exercises. I'm sure they're fine. Gosh, how I miss good toasted marshmallows! I just wrote my cousin about the same thing and how I missed being up at my GP's cottage in upstate NY and how we use to toast the marshmallows over the grill.

FILLISE, hope you have a good time at the reception tonight!

HEART, unfortunately, you read exactly right. Two 1/2 gallons gone in 24 hours and there's another one about to be finished off that I bought last night. I have a little help but I'm really the one who's guilty Only the peppermint was the best one, the othe one wasn't that great and I'm working on plain ol vanilla Breyers. Come tomorrow, I've vowed to stop this insanity!

ROSE, got an e-mail from DM and she said they are planning on leaving tomorrow. She wrote to me that she's looking forward to coming home, which she said should last about a whole 1/2 hour. She's wishing that she could bring the peace and quiet she's had up there home with her. She won't miss driving Mr. Bernie around though! I'm sure DS will be happy to finally have you home too!! Not much longer for you guys!!!

Okay, I'm outta here again - have to go BACK to the school later on to p/u LAUREN.

Toodles

Deb
Old 10-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

DEB- Girl, SNAP OUT OF IT! Man, and I thought I liked ice cream! Sounds like you need a taste of your own detox dungeon. Is it sugarfree ice cream or regular?

Well, I was feeling guilty about what I just ate until I read Deb's post,lol. Now I think ah, not so bad. Just kidding, Deb- have to clown on ya for a minute. I ate a HUGE cheeseburger fully loaded for lunch. That should have held me until supper-not! Just got finished eating an apple, 2 nsa yogurts AND a little more than 1/2 cup of Uncle Sam's cereal. Definetly cooking veggies with the chicken instead of starchy beans tonight. Maybe with the exercise it will all even out. I'm just so hungry lately. Boogie got his flu shot. He cried for just a minute and was okay. He was worse on the way to the doc's-knowing where he was going- he threw a bad tantrum. Hey, am I the only one counting down the days to Halloween or what? I'm pathetic...looking forward to overloading my body with sugar. Well, not much else going on..I'm tired already. I've been up since 5:50, when I didn't go to sleep until almost midnight. Maybe the exercise class will help wake me up
Old 10-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Just checking in.

Going home to fix 50 pork chops. We bought a family pack last grocery trip, DH put them in the freezer w/o me separating them. So I either have to fix them all tonight or eat them 2 nights in a row. Some savings.

Think it is still raining so not sure if we will get our walk in. Will do something though.

All of a sudden I'm very tired.

If anyone watches, the new season for 24 starts tonight on fox. It is the best show I have ever seen.

Pancho, glad your Ds is back in her home. Sure hope she gets to stay there. I was watchign this morning and one family lost their house in 30 minutes but the house next door was ok. It is a scary thing.

Deb, that's why they make timers. Glad you didn't have a real mess to clean up. Bend over and I'll give you that kick. Remember you goal to get back to goal by your anniversary.

Trish, I'm with you, my idea of camping is the Holiday Inn. I'm sure Jordan is ok. Those military guys are tough.

Fillise, You will do fine tonight I'm sure. You are so right about careening out of control. We have to learn to stop that. I'm glad you are getting your surgery done in Dec. Hope you are recouped enough for tahe holidays though. Bond with Aunt Flow (TOM) this week since this is the last time you will see her. Wait a minute. She could make another appearance right before then if I can count.

Yellow, did you get your walk?

Heartmom, at least the things you are were legal. Why are kids so afraid of shots. My 20 year old still freaks out before hand. I get some many, it's no big deal to me.

Good luck to everyone on the scale tomorrow.

Jackie
Old 10-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #55  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

YUK....WHAT A DAY OVER HERE.....RAIN...TORNADOS (north of here)...WIND!!! MORE RAIN!!

Thanks to all of y'all with your sweet thoughts of me and getting another furbaby ..Don't worry, I'm not going to jump into the kennel anytime soon...It WILL be a while before I get another one. I really don't think that Kate would be willing to train another one at her age

ASHLEY....my SIL takes dental floss and flicks them babies right off my Brother's body without a thought! I've actually clipped them from my body as well....I did do a booboo one time and bled like a stuck pig

Well, My Niece and her Husband got the word yesterday that Brown & Williamson will be no more in L'ville in about 6 to 8 months. They merged with RJ REYNOLDS and will be moving the home office to Winston Salem, NC...There will be 800 jobs that will be offered in both the plant and the home office, so PLEASE keep your fingers crossed that GREG is pegged for one of those jobs! He's pretty high up in the company, but neither of them wants to move...they are only 45 minutes from his family, and about two hours from my Brother.

LAURIE....I downloaded those smiles too, and they are only availabe for your email...go back and read what it says about your particular email provider...it won't work on hotmail and those kinds of mail. I have EARTHLINK and it only works if I got thru my webmail option...not the regular ...

MONET....I LOVE THAT CAKE.....I swear girlfriend....you need your own business!

PANCHO...so glad to hear that your DS's house was saved. I know she's glad to be back home.

I've got to run, but will be back later to speak to the rest of you!

BOB
Old 10-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #56  

I have chili cooking for dinner...tonight is 'take dinner to your massage therapist' night. She is excited about the chili, since its cold and wet here. Next week, her whole family is starting the South Beach diet. What is with this thing? I have been telling them about SB for years...and suddenly they are willing to try the SoBe diet instead! sheesh! It will make cooking for them challenging, but oh well!

BOB: I used to have a cake business. It was fun, and profitable..and I may do it some again. If I can just get this weight issue solved...

DEB: On further close inspection, that peppermint is not too bad...especially with a bit of chocolate sauce and whipped cream on it! I think I have reached my limit for a few days now though...and I only consumed about half the carton!

Hey, where is Jecrites? She has been missing for a few days!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #57  

Hi all:

I thought I would check in while I had a few minutes. I went to Wal-Mart today while DD was in school. Delaney's nose was still a little too snotty to take her to the gym daycare. I did my Christmas layaway....$218.00. I will pick up a few other things that I couldn't find there, but that's about it. It's nice to have it out of the way, but wasn't too enjoyable as Delaney was not in much of a mood to shop. She wanted everything on the shelves and proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs when she didn't get it. My dh said we will need hearing aids in a few years, and would like to get a decibel machine to test how loud her screaming is . She sounds like one of those loud Macaw Parrots when she screams....there is no holding back.

Not sure what is for dinner yet....I have beef in fridge for meatloaf, chicken and some Mahi Mahi....better decide soon.

Deb: I always do that with eggs. I don't think there has ever been a time that I have boiled eggs that I haven't boiled them dry, except for Easter, when DD keeps asking if they are done yet. I believe your cousin and my sister are near neighbors. Is any of her family in the military? My ds's husband is in the Navy, and they are in the housing development for military. Won't say anything about your ice cream consumption except I hope you enjoyed it .

Trish: Hope all is well with Jordan. It is so tough not knowing. At least my ds had her cell phone with her and I was able to reach her whenever I needed to.

Jack-K: Oh my gosh....you will have to have a party to eat up all the pork. I cannot believe your dh did that...it is pretty funny. When I started reading your post, I thought you were feeding the hungry or something (ha). Glad you are doing better today and I know you will continue to.

Better go figure out what's for dinner.

Take care,
Nat
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 PM   #58  

Default Texas Weather

YellowRose: ya all will not be suprised when you come back, the weather yesterday was low 38n but today was in high 80's. If you don"t like Texas wait 15 min and it will change.

Big Orange: be careful when you download those free smillies, especially from smiliy central, read their clause, because everytime you email someone with one of their smiliy's they get a copy of that persons email address, guess what they do with it, you gussed it sell it to people and then your open to spams.

I am thinking of going back to Atkins diet until I get my weight down to ideal weight and come back to sugar busters, as i lose and gain, but stay within my current weight within a couple pounds,so this will be a good way of life once I get wher I should be. Hope you all will let me stay on woe, I guess by Feb I will be at ideal weight,and then do Sugar Busters for life.

SUPERDAVE
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 PM   #59  

Hi!

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciated it!

Unfortunately, I had to cancel the appointment because when I got home from work, Ex called me and begged me not to take him. He felt is was unnecessary. I told him I was going to take him and to stop calling me. Then I got a call from my Ex's mother who yelled at me and called me irresponsible and told me that I was defying my Court order by not asking Ex before I made the appointment and if I took DS to the Neurologist, they would take me back to court for violating our Agreement.

I was so upset after their calls that I canceled the appointment. However, when I spoke to Ex's mother she asked me to hold off for three months. I told Ex that if DS did not improve with his speech therapy by January 28th, I would not hesitate to take DS to the same Neurologist. I plan to call the Pediatrician tomorrow to ask her to write a letter to me about her recommendation of sending DS to the Neurologist.

Please tell me what a *&^%% Ex is and that I did the right thing?

I feel bad for being in this group because I like all of you guys and I haven't even started SB yet. I am still doing the research. To be totally honest, as I am reading the book, I am still eating all of the wrong things but I have been depressed lately because of everything that is going on in my life. I want to lose weight but its very difficult because I'm an emotional eater. I don't want to use you guys as a sounding board but I like meeting people and I could use all of the support I can get.

Deb, thanks for posting the article "all about sugars".

Got to run!

Thanks!

Ilana

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:44 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Monet
Cool cake! Love the water background.

Teensybean
Congrats on the "new" truck!
I haven't read the SBD book just the phase 1 section and flipped through most of the rest.
I don't recollect anything on portion control per say but the daily recipes that come with the book are very specific about how much you should eat at a meal and for snack.
This is the one major difference I see between this and SB, they lay out your meal plans better and give you more of an idea what you eat for each phase. Some people seem to do better with more direction.

Deb thanks for the article.
Does anyone know why the author said "The easiest way of decreasing consumption of sugar is by decreasing consumption of meat."
?? I don't get that??

jackieO
My DH gets skin tags removed like once a year and it was under $100. He saw a dermotologist also and had like maybe 10 taken off?
Closed Thread