Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: With Halloween around the corner, how do you think you'll handle the candy issue?
I swore to stay totally OP and not have a single piece 8 28.57%
I promised I'd have just 1 piece and that would be it! 0 0%
I plan on having a tiny piece of SB LEGAL CHOCOLATE as my treat. 2 7.14%
I have a WEIGHT & SEE ATTITUDE right now. 2 7.14%
I'm not holding out for much hope for myself. 1 3.57%
You mean it's not Halloween already? I'm already guilty! 2 7.14%
I'm not opening my door, didn't buy any candy, not an issue! 6 21.43%
I'll let you know AFTER Friday! 4 14.29%
Can someone just tie my hands and tape my mouth up? Let's just say, I'm worried! 3 10.71%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM   #31  
Goddess

Thumbs down Monday evening

Evening all!

I'm checking in one more time before I head to the kitchen to begin dinner preparations.

Heart--Celebrate that size 12!!!!!! Don't rationalize--you've worked hard to lose the weight so feel good that it is paying off!

Deb--Yup, I was able to spend a great afternoon with Monet. We visited at her house for a while and then we hit Harry's. I got about 15 lbs of flour and 8 bottles of Agave (2.59 per). I was able to visit with her a little while after we returned to her house and then I had to hit the road. I'm now looking forward to having Monet and her DD visit me here!

Monet--I would have LOVED to have weighed 8 lbs less at my Dr. today! I know you are frustrated at the slowness--but it is a loss!!!!

BOB--When I added the 8 bottles of agave to the stash I already had--I was out of room! I have a very tiny kitchen--trust me! You will know when the time is right to invite a new little friend into your life.

Jackie--Good going today. I've been OP too! I'm going to cook a small steak with a steamed artichoke tonight. Yum. Tomorrow I've got a fancy do in Montgomery that will be tricky--must be extra good now!

Pancho--I hope your DS and her family have some good news soon.

Yellow--I've noticed the difference in brands of flour too! If you get a chance to stop in Atlanta to get some of the wheat Montana--do--it's the best!

Teensy--sorry I've never cooked eggplant either.

Cheryl--Good luck on the SOBE plan! Let us know how it goes!

Emma--I've been through 3 academic searches. I was a wreck through the first one, but after that they were not pleasant, but I could handle them. The best thing I did was to keep a notebook with copies of everything I sent with each application. I made a generic list of all the things they might want (vita, papers, teaching evaluations, recommendations, Teaching philoosphy, research plan--you know all the stuff they dream up). I would then highlight the stuff required for each application and put the due date on it and put it in my notebook. Once you get a pile of that stuff built up then it gets fairly easy to adapt to specific applications. The notebook was helpful because when I went for an interview, I pulled my copies of the material I sent to that school so I would have the same stuff they had. Other than that it is just a matter of accepting that you are not in control of this process and that search committees make some very strange decisions. The more applications you get out there, the better your chances of finding a position that is a good fit! Good luck!

Wood--good for you for being productive today!

Time to go fix dinner. Have a great evening everyone!

Susan
Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Just checking in- everyone's asleep but me. Got on the computer to find a recipe that I had but lost- a breakfast quiche that I've been wanting to make. For supper, I ended up cooking hamb. steak, salad, green beans, and baked potatoes(sweet for me). I haven't had my usual amount of water today, so I'm trying to catch up. Tomorrow I have to take Boogie to the pediatrician for his flu shot. I have a handicap permit for Boogie. I was really hesitant about getting it since he's in good condition and "appears" the picture of health. But everytime I would go to Walmart, we would always have to park at the back and in the heat, it took him awhile to walk to the entrance. Also, I figured why not? he's entitled to it- he's had 3 open heart surgeries. Anyway, everytime(well almost) I park in the handicap spot, I always get rude glares and even had people make it obvious to me that they're looking at my tag and so forth. Today, this lady pulled up beside me and asked me where my permit was. I was just getting it out to hang on the mirror, and she was like "oh.." Just wish some people would mind their own business and not judge people based solely on appearances. Okay, that was my rant for the day, can you tell I've been bugged by this,lol?

FILLESE- No, I'm not an official 12. I just got into 14's a few weeks ago. I've been buying winter stuff in size 14's, so I better not be getting into a 12 yet- I can't afford it,lol. There are a couple of things I can wear in a 12, but majority rules. I think my final goal is to be in a size 10. Anything lower than that, and I'll have people thinking I'm on drugs or something-already had one comment about that. Some people simply can't stand for others to do something good for themselves without trying to be so negative.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:28 PM   #33  

Hi! Sorry I didn't chime in sooner. I had to work today and just got home from my Divorce Support Group. Six months after the divorce and I still have some issues with my Ex which is probably wrecking havoc on my diet.

I need some advice from those mommies out there.

I'm supposed to take my 2 year old son to the Neurologist on Wed. My Ex called me today and said "do not let them sedate him when they do MRI or whatever tests they do". I told him I didn't know what they were going to do. He feels it is not necessary for Jared to be tested. I am taking him because the Pediatrician asked that I do so since he is not talking yet at age 2 1/2. Does this sound normal? Should I cancel the Neurologist? I don't want Jared to be sedated either but I would guess that they probably have to keep him still while they do the tests. I'm inclined to take a wait and see when he will talk but the child is so frustrated because he can't tell me what he wants.

Am I doing the right thing by taking Jared to the Neurologist or wait and see when he will talk.

Thanks!

Ilana
Old 10-27-2003, 10:40 PM   #34  

Just thought I would share the picture of the goldfish cake. The lady liked it, which is all that matters to me! (that and the cash! haha! ) It sparkles because it has edible glitter on it.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:49 PM   #35  
sef

HiedieHo All!

After taking Dave's pledge I missed yesterday. I just could not get my act together. No get up and go. Did not go to church or to a Habitat potlucj dinner in the evening. Watched ice skating, took a nap, and was in bed by 10:30. Not much more energetic today. Did go to NH, WD and made lasagna for supper. I'm not sick, just played out.

What a wonderful change in the weather. It is an overcast day and the temperature has been brisk, a welcome relief. I'm fromthe Poconos and enjoy the cool weather. The natives are complaining about it being "cold"! It's easier crocheting on afghan in this weather, open the window beside the chair and crochet away! The afghan is nice and warm since it is about halfway finished.

CHRYSTLE: I am a sunset person so ooved your picture. We get beautiful pink sunsets here, I just wish there was a vista to enoy them in instead of looking over rooftops. When I visited my DD in HI we would go out every night and enjoy the ocean view and sunset. She gave me a picture of one and I have it on the wall.

JACKK: I'm drowning to. Your plaint described me to a T.

PANCHO: OMG, how terrible for your sister and other families in that area. A fire is a terrible thing to go through, I know as we had a house fire in '57. It's surprising the things you forgot about and then miss a couple of months later when you want them. Prayers for her family.

Have sat long enough.

Take care, Shirley
Old 10-28-2003, 12:07 AM   #36  

Angry What's Happening!!

Hi to All,
Hope all is well. I am still battling nausea. It is a pain in the tush, it just happens at will. I take ginger to help settle my stomach, it helps a lot. All my life I have had some kind of stomach troubles.

BOB~~ the stuff works for me. My doctor recommended it to me. I just take it and to my surprise, I haven't been disappointed. That link is really awesome, I put my address in, mom, sister and it is something else. I like!

PANCHO~~ I got info on the Atkins website and this is what it stated. I will check the kind that you suggested for sure. I do want what works. "Your heart muscle needs a steady, strong source of power to do its job properly. The heart uses 70% of fat for its energy source. L-Carnitine is an important amino acid that helps shuttle fatty acids across the mitchondria (which is the energy part of the cell). In the body, L-Carnitine helps fat to be metabolized for energy." -Atkins
FILLISE~~ You are mighty right about the board. I want to continue right thru the holidays and I stand guilty about not doing my very best to get to this board. It is a life saver because of the dedicated who come here. I'll have to keep reminding myself of just how important this is. Thanks for the reminder.
SEF~~ Hi, it is HFS and kinda expensive but, it is well worth it. I buy the large quantities(240) bottles 1000mgs. each cap.
MONET~~ Congrads on the weight lose. Hang tough! The cake is outstanding for sure.
Hi Debbie and the rest of the gang!!!!!!!!
Out of here now, got to get some sleep now. See yas later.

Later,
LJunel (slim and healthy)

Last edited by agape3737; 10-28-2003 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:02 AM   #37  

Hello to everyone.....it is late again, but I am determined to get in some replies tonight. I have gotten so far behind, that I don't know if I will ever get caught up. So I am only doing this weeks board that just started. Hope to get to the past one too, but will concentrate on this first.

Dh got his deer early Friday morning. So now I will have to hunt full time with him to get mine. It opens back up next Monday. He didn't see any Elk when he went Saturday. Said there was lots of fresh sign, but no critters.

We have a 1987, big old Ford 4X4 pickup that you can't afford to keep gas in, that we use for hunting and hauling. Well, the other day a friend of Dh's called and wanted to trade us a 1993 smaller Nissan 4X4 for the Ford! He wants the Ford to make a flat bed out of to haul is hay trailer! So we got the Nissan yesterday.....what a nice truck! I think my Honda will stay in the shop all winter now. I can drive the Nissan, and Dh will still have his Dodge Diesel!!

Been busy in the kitchen baking.......don't know why. I have always disliked baking. I always have flour all over and at least 10 or 12 bowls dirtied. But for some reason.......I only made one thing for us.....an apple pie with a whole wheat crust! Had one piece last night and it was very good. I behaved tonight and had my SF Jell-o. Maybe tomorrow I will have another piece. But I have a good start on goodies for the Christmas bags!!

Found a recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana in one of Mom's cookbooks. It was very good. Dh didn't eat any of it though. Say's he has never like eggplant. So I know what I will be eating for the next couple of days!!

On to some replies......

Monet-- Enjoy your day off, and am crossing my fingers for you!! The cake sounds interesting. Oops, just saw the picture.....it is adorable. Nice job!!

Rosalie-- Just do the best you can when eating out. Sounds like you have it pretty well handled!

Jackie-O-- Hello, to you!

Superdave-- We have 3 dogs, and they don't care about the time change at all. They think they have to be feed at 5 am, So this morning it was 4 am with the time change!!

Jack-k--Pick yourself up and dust off! Now your ready to get down to some serious business!! You can do it.

Pancho-- Will be praying for your family! Please keep us up to date. Hope you and the girls will be feeling better soon.

Deb-- I can't believe the size of those homes!! My goodness.....how would you find yourself??

Country-- I have been doing quite a bit of baking too, and I don't understand it, because I hate baking!! Some aliens must have inhabited (sp) my body, because it sure isn't me!!

Fillise--Wish I would be getting the cleaning bug instead of this baking one!! I would must rather see my house sparkle than see people eating the goodies I am baking!! lol.

Wood-- Hello to you this evening!

Emma-- Sound like you are getting the job aps done. Good for you!!

Cherylco--Are there any portion sizes for those foods?? I have been thinking of doing this for a couple of weeks too. I think I have been getting more and more liberal with my foods lately, and I still want to lose 10 more pounds.

Yellowrose-- This was very tender, but I peeled it because I finally found a recipe in one of Mom's cookbooks. I would love it if you would share your eggplant recipe with me! I used the one tonight, but it did call for breading the eggplant! But it was sooo good. Why haven't I tried this stuff before?

BOB-- When my Dad passed away we wanted my Mom to get herself a dog. She had always had them until just a short while ago. But she insisted she was not ready yet for another dog, but she would get one when she was ready. And she did when it was right for her. Now she has a minature Dashound that is almost as spoiled as my three dogs are! So take your time, you will know when the time is right!

Heart-- Who care if they run big....they fit and they say size 12!! Good for you!! Sounds like you are getting quite a few bargains lately. I went with my Mom the other day looking for canning jars. I found some for 29 cents apiece. The last ones I had to buy new were 7.99 for 12! So I think that was pretty good. I also found 3 pairs of pants.....size 10!! Need to find some winter shirts and blouses. Maybe next time.

Sef-- Maybe you just need to take a breather......rest for a day or so!!

Agape-- Good evening to you too!

Well this turned into a book tonight......hope to see you all tomorrow some time. We have got to start cutting up the venison in the morning. So you all have a great day!!

Last edited by Teensybean; 10-28-2003 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:27 AM   #38  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Will be back on later but wanted to get in my TUESDAY TIP for today:

From BECOMEHEALTHYNOW.COM

ALL ABOUT SUGARS
by Dr. Gary Farr on 17 August 2003

About White Sugar, Aspartame, other Concentrated Sweeteners and Health

This page is important stop for all of you who are addicted to sugar, honey, or any other concentrated sweetener.

For all of you who eat sugar every day in all kind of food, from bread to Coca Cola, from ice-cream to ketchup, from hot-dog to cakes, jams, candies, sausages, yogurts ...

And for all of you who are having problems like colds, flu, food allergies, high cholesterol, candida, cancer, diabetes, fatty degeneration, degenerative diseases, depression, dizziness, crying spells, aggression, insomnia, weakness, skin problems, heart and circulatory diseases..

Let's first say what is white sugar.

White sugar is refined sucrose (simple sugar),_ C12H22O11 , produced by multiple chemical processing of the juice of the sugar cane or sugar beet and by removal of all fiber , protein and minerals , which amount to 90 percent of the natural plant.

( P.S._ I do not want to be misunderstood. I will explain that concentrated sweeteners are bad for your health. BUT, that does not mean that you should use artificial sweeteners like aspartame (Nutrasweet), xilitol, sorbitoll, or any other artificial sweeteners. ALL artificial sweeteners are worse for your health then natural sweeteners, so think about it!)

Read about aspartame {tales_nutrasweet} here.

This page is not only about white sugar. It is also about brown/ raw/ turbinado_sugar, molasses, syrups, and other concentrated sweeteners like : dextrose (glucose) , fructose, galactose, maltose, lactose, dextrin, dextrains,_ and honey. Our body digests and absorbs these concentrated sources of sugars rapidly, and quickly turns them into saturated fatty acids and cholesterol. If we do not burn off the fat through activity, it will start accumulating under our skin, in our lever in our arteries and other organs.

One thing is common characteristic for all those sweeteners: they are concentrated and composed of simple sugars_ (monosaccharide_ and disaccharide). Simple sugars are also called rapid sugars because they do not need digestion and are absorbed rapidly in our bloodstream.

After being absorbed in our bloodstream, they rise blood glucose levels too high. This condition is called hyperglycemia, and is one of the symptoms of {condition_diabetes} diabetes. If the {pancreas} pancreas functions as it should, it will produce enough insulin to remove excess glucose from our bloodstream with amazing efficiency.

But huge production of insulin can not be stopped in the same moment as sugar stop coming in the bloodstream. To much insulin will then cause too rapid fall of glucose level in the blood. That is called hypoglycemia, and symptoms may include depression, dizziness, crying spells, aggression, insomnia, weakness, and even loss of consciousness.

When blood glucose falls too low, our {adrenals} adrenal glands will mobilize the body's stores of glycogen (starch like carbohydrate, many glucose molecules hooked end to end in a chain, stored in liver and muscle) and will also stimulate the synthesis of glucose from proteins and other substances present in our body.

A diet rich in sugars will catch our pancreas and adrenal glands in a biochemical see-saw, overworking them. It can weaken the pancreas and result in diabetes. Cardiovascular complications that follow excess glucose or fats kill many diabetics._If our body is unable to use all of the extra fats and cholesterol produced from sugars, it must dump the additional load. Fats can be deposited in the cells of our liver, heart, arteries, fat tissues, kidneys, muscles, and other organs. This is beginning of fatty degeneration.

One of the aspects of fatty degeneration is deposition of visible fat in places where it is not normally found in healthy people. Fatty degeneration includes {atherosclerosis} atherosclerosis, fatty liver and kidneys, some tumors, {obesity} obesity and some forms of diabetes.

Sugars inhibit the function of our {immune_system} immune system, and increase diseases caused by poor immune function, such as colds, flu, AIDS, allergies, infections, ...

Sugars increase our body's production of adrenaline by four times, which puts the body into a state of_ 'fight or flight'_ stress, without anything to fight or flee from, except the consumption of sugar. This stress reaction increases the production of both cholesterol and cortisone. Cortisone inhibits immune function.

Sugars lack the vitamins and minerals required for their own metabolism. To be metabolized, sugars must draw on our body's stores of these nutrients. The more sugars you eat, the more vitamins and minerals you need.

It can leach B, C, D_ vitamins, and the minerals calcium, phosphorous, iron, selenium, zinc, chromium, vanadium, tin, boron, bismuth, rear earth elements etc. from our teeth, bones, and tissues.

As these are depleted, our body becomes less able to carry out other functions that require minerals and vitamins to be present: to metabolize fats and cholesterol; to convert cholesterol into bile acids for removal from our body through the stool; or to burn-off excess fats as heat or increased activity. As a result our cholesterol level rises; our metabolic rate goes down; fats burn more slowly; gall stones are crystallizing in or liver; we feel less like exercising, and our weight increases. We have already started walking our way to cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

As you see, sugar is where it all starts, I mean disease.

Sugar causes irritation and weakening of the mucous membranes of the body and robs the teeth, bones and blood of a great percentage of their minerals. Inflammatory diseases of the breathing and digestive organs result from the use of brown and white sugar.

If, after reading those facts you feel to stop eating sugar, we are recommending next alternatives:

dry fruit, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice,_ resins, apple syrup, rice malt, and barley malt.But, do not just replace sugar with malt, or apple syrup. It is also important to generally decrease consumption of concentrated sweeteners. Eat more fresh fruit and compote.

The easiest way of decreasing consumption of sugar is by decreasing consumption of meat.

How Do I Stop Eating Sugar?

There is a balance between meat consumption and sugar.

If you eat meat, you need sugar, and visa versa. Serious trouble can happen if the balance is off which is easy since sugar is addictive, like a drug. If you are a vegetarian and eat mostly carbohydrates, the effect of extra sugar is heightened.

One of the major drawbacks is that sugar raises the insulin level, which inhibits the release of growth hormones, which in turn depresses the immune system. Not something you want to happen if you want to avoid sickness.

According to Kathleen DesMaisons in her book Potatoes Not Prozac, sugar sensitive people, i.e., those who have a more volatile reaction to the substance, usually have low levels of serotonin and low levels of beta endorphins.

The level of beta endorphins have a direct impact on a person’s self esteem, tolerance for pain, sense of connectiveness and to the ability to take personal responsibility for action. It follows that with higher levels of beta endorphins the disease management process would be easier.

When blood sugar spikes it signals the adrenal glands to release more adrenaline. This leads to adrenal fatigue and in turn makes blood sugar ups and downs ever more pronounced. Note this, for many of us have adrenals already fatigued from overeating of sugar.

According to {sugar_blues} William Duffy in "Sugar Blues" the difference between sugar addiction and narcotic addiction is largely one of degree. Here are some suggestions to make the withdrawal easier:

As you are reducing the amount of sugar also reduce the amount of meat you are eating.
Eat a bit of ginger before meals.

Taking {organic_minerals} that contain trace minerals {trace_minerals} chromium and {trace_minerals} vanadium would solve the problem of craving for sugar and sweets!
People who crave sugar need {inositol} Inositol, and Inositol works wonders in getting a patient's sugar craving under control. In fact, if you take some Inositol tablets, they taste very sweet..
Don’t eat any concentrated sweetener for breakfast
Eat your breakfast as late as possible and start with fruit
Make pause between fruit and other food
Never eat fruit together with the rest of your food
Make treats like cookies sweetened with rice syrup (a honey like sweetener made from cultured rice) or barley malt
Get to know some new foods that have a subtle sweet taste from natural sugars. Try manna bread (tastes like a muffin but is made only from sprouted grains) or oat milk.
Get to know more about the sugar/depression/energy connection. Read {sugar_blues} Sugar Blues.
Take the {sss_what_is_it} Symptom Survey Analysis test to find out your individual nutritional needs.More About Sugar

Sugars are classified as either simple or complex carbohydrates. Refined sugars such as white, brown, and turbinado sugars, and the unrefined simple sugars, such as fruit sweeteners and concentrated fruit juices, are all simple carbohydrates. The grain syrups: barley malt and brown rice syrup, contain complex carbohydrates besides some simple sugars.

Complex carbohydrates are a string of simple sugars (glucose) strung together that must be broken back down into simple sugars before they can be absorbed into the bloodstream; whereas simple sugars can go directly into the bloodstream.

An influx of sugar into the blood stream upsets the body's blood sugar balance, triggering the release of insulin, which the body uses to keep blood sugar at a safe and constant level. Insulin also promotes the storage of fat, so when you eat sweets high in sugar and fat, you're making way for rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels, both of which have been linked to cardiovascular disease. Complex carbohydrates tend to be absorbed more slowly, lessening the impact on blood sugar levels.

Refined sugars have been stripped of the vitamins, minerals, and {fiber} fiber that were originally present before processing. White sugar is 99.9 percent sucrose, and brown and turbinado are 96 percent sucrose. Brown sugar is white sugar with molasses and/or caramel coloring added. Turbinado sugar, also called raw sugar, is slightly less refined and contains a trace amount of a few minerals.

Consequently, consuming large amounts of refined sugars places an extra burden on the body to supply the nutrients, specifically the B vitamins, chromium, magnesium, and zinc, needed to convert glucose (blood sugar) into energy. According to USDA biochemist Richard Anderson, refined sugar may also impair the absorption of trace minerals like copper and chromium present in some of the other foods we have eaten.

Refined simple sugars also have an impact on brain chemistry. They raise serotonin levels, which can leave you feeling drowsy. However, the unrefined simple fruit sweeteners have less impact on brain chemistry because they are high in the sugar fructose, which does not affect serotonin levels.

Choosing natural sweeteners_ rich in complex carbohydrates and reading labels before buying a product will help you reduce your consumption of refined sugar. Natural sweeteners retain most of their vitamins and minerals, and many contain complex carbohydrates. Below is a list and brief description of some of the natural sweeteners available.

Natural sweetener

% complex carbohydrates in dry matter

(good ones)

% simple sugars in dry matter

(bad ones)

Brown Rice Syrup (Rice malt)

is made from (yeast culture) fermented brown rice and sprouted whole barley. Like barley malt, it is ground and heated to make a thick syrup. Because of its mild taste, it can be used as a substitute for white or brown sugar.
OK for sick people but not too much !
It is one of the best of all concentrated sweeteners !
Avoid it if you have Candida Albicans (yeast) problem ! 40 % complex carbohydrates (starch)

57 % maltose

Barley Malt Syrup

is made from (yeast culture) fermented whole barley which is sprouted to break down some of the carbohydrate into the simple sugar maltose. It is then ground and heated to make a thick syrup. Barley malt is a good substitute for brown and white sugar. It is delicious in hot breakfast cereals, cookies, breads, muffins, and recipes using carob.
It is one of the best of all concentrated sweeteners !
Avoid it if you have Candida Albicans (yeast) problem ! 33 % complex carbohydrates (starch)

66 % maltose

Granulated Brown Rice Sweeteners

are made from dried brown rice syrup or a combination of dried brown rice syrup and powdered grape juice concentrate. Brown rice sweeteners have a very mild flavor and can be used to replace white or brown sugar in baked goods.
It is good concentrated sweeteners !
Avoid it if you have Candida Albicans (yeast) problem ! 33 % or more complex carbohydrates

66 % maltose, fructose, glucose, and sucrose

Fruit Concentrate/Sweetener

includes frozen juice concentrates such as grape or apple juice and refrigerated jars of fruit concentrates which are typically blends of juices such as peach, pear, and pineapple juice. Fruit concentrates are thicker than fruit juice concentrates and are made by cooking whole fruits at very low temperatures until they have been reduced to a thick syrup. Fruit sweeteners work well in most baked goods.
They are not much better then white or brown sugar !!!
If you are sick, avoid it !!! 1 %

complex carbohydrates

90 - 96 % simple sugars, fructose, glucose, and sucrose

Maple Syrup

is made from the sap of sugar maple trees. Thirty_five to 50 gallons of sap are boiled to produce one gallon of maple syrup. Grade A maple syrup has a lighter color and flavor than Grade B, which is darker with a stronger flavor.
It is not much better then white or brown sugar!!!
I do not recommend it !!! 1 %

complex carbohydrates

96 % sucrose

Honey

is a mixture of acid secretions from the glands of honeybees and nectar from flowers. Although honey is a natural sweetener, it is considered a refined sugar because 96% of dry matter are simple sugars: fructose, glucose and sucrose.
It is sweeter and higher in calories than refined white sugar. Honey does contain some B vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. However, the enzymes are generally destroyed by high heat causing the honey to lose nutritional properties when used in baking. God to use in special cures, but not as a every day food !
I do not recommend it !!! 0 %

complex carbohydrates

96 % simple sugars, fructose, glucose, and sucrose

Granulated Cane Juice

is made from organically grown sugar cane juice that has been filtered and dehydrated. Its a simple sugar that tastes much like brown or turbinado sugar; however, its less refined and contains more vitamins and minerals. Granulated cane juice can be used as a substitute for both white and brown sugar, but it is still rich in sucrose.

complex carbohydrates

96 % sucrose

Molasses

is a by_product of the refined white, brown, and turbinado sugars. Sweet molasses or light molasses is the liquid left after the first extraction of sugar crystals. Blackstrap molasses is the liquid left after the last extraction of sugar crystals, and has a stronger, bittersweet flavor and is richer in potassium, calcium, iron, and B_vitamins than sweet molasses.__ Though molasses is better than white sugar, it still contain a lot of it, so I can not recommend eating molasses.

complex carbohydrates

96 % sucrose

Substituting One Sweetener For Another

The granulated brown rice and cane juice sweeteners are roughly equal in sweetness to refined white, brown, or turbinado sugar and can be substituted on a cup for cup basis without changing anything else in the recipe.

When you substitute a liquid sweetener for a dry one or vice versa, you will have to adjust the recipe to end up with the right batter consistency. The chart (below) will help you modify your recipes when using natural sweeteners.

SWEETENER SUBSTITUTIONS

To replace 1 cup dry sweetener with 1 cup liquid sweetener:reduce another liquid by 1/3 cup or add 4-5 tablespoons flour.

To replace 1 cup dry sweetener with 3/4 cup honey:reduce another liquid by 1/4 cup or add 1/3 cup flour.

To replace 1 cup liquid sweetener with 1 cup dry sweetener:add 1/3 cup water.

To replace 1 cup liquid sweetener with 3/4 cup honey:add 1/4 cup water.

Note: When using thick liquid sweeteners, heat the jar in hot water for five minutes to make pouring easier and spray measuring cups with vegetable spray to prevent sticking.

Facts about white sugar consumption:

Adults purchase over 50% of all chocolate sold in USA.
The average American consumes an astounding two pounds of sugar each week, which is not surprising considering that highly refined sugars in the forms of sucrose (table sugar), dextrose (corn sugar), and high-fructose corn syrup are being processed into so many foods such as bread, breakfast cereal, ketchup, mayonnaise, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, and a plethora of microwave meals.

An average American consume 147 pounds of sweeteners each year.

Monoglycerides used in some ice creams are a possible cancer causing agent in test animals.

This article is copyrighted.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #39  

Good Morning,
Make non-legal apple coffeecake last night and brought it in to work(they're gobbling it down).

Monet - great goldfish cake! My sister is a cake decorator at a local bakery, and she loves to do wedding cakes, they're always awesome!

Mom2jared - take the little guy in for the testing, what's it going to hurt? And it sounds like the ex has a few issues of his own...
go witht the dr recommendation. And don't worry about still having issues with your ex 6 months after divorcing. I still have issues with mine, and I left him 9 years ago....

Teensybean - congrats on the deer! We had venison for lunch here at work the other day and it was awesome!

Heart - sounds like I should check out the thrift stores and good will more often, but I'm not down to a size 12 yet. It'll be a little while. And who cares if they run big?? If they say 12, believe it.

Hope that everyone has a great day! I need to bake something for a bake sale at work tomorrow....

Barbara
270/227/135
Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #40  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Time to Fess Up

Hey Gang!

I know I haven't been here in a while, but I just had to come and confess my food sins! By looking over yesterday's posts, looks like I'm not alone.

My eating has been not too good lately. Too much starch and not enough fruits and veggies. Yesterday was the worst. 2 full size chocolate bars and almost a full cannister of Pringles chips--all before lunch. I felt crappy for the whole day--exhausted, fuzzy head, and CRANKY! I even realized what I was shoving in my mouth but still kept doing it.

I finally stopped at dinner time. I made chicken and veggie skewers, coleslaw and carrot soup. I know carrots are not the best, but in my opinion, they're better than the chocolate and chips! The recipe called for a sweet potato to be chopped up in with the carrots, I guess to thicken the soup.

I did a bit more damage at breakfast today. I made DS some french toast, so of course I had some too. White bread and covered in syrup!

I'm hoping by fessing up to you all that I'll help myself get back on track.

I noticed that some of you were thinking about doing South Beach (SOBE) but didn't have the book for a guideline. Right under the SB forum is a GREAT SOBE forum and they have the lists of foods in there FAQ section. I bet they're just as nice as everyone here and would answer any questions you may have. I liked the book because of the recipes, but there are also a lot of great recipes in the 3FC SOBE forum.

I was thinking about doing SOBE again, but I REALLY missed my milk and fruit when I did phase one. Phase two is pretty much SB, so I may do a more restrictive version--cutting down on starches! I also got real tired of eggs most mornings and I really like to have my fruit smoothie in the morning when I'm rushed.

One thing I really liked in the SOBE book was that a couple of times the author said that the "diet" (I hate that word--eating plan is better) was developed with the realization that no one was going to eat perfect all the time. So he says to have your wee taste and then get back to the healthier way of eating.

I just have to remember to keep it limited to a little taste and not a whole week of pigging out!

So Gang, lets not be so hard on ourselves. We slipped up, but we're picking ourselves up and brushing ourselves off and trying our best again.

I'll have to try to hang out here a bit more often--that might keep me in line.

Bye for now,

Last edited by Zanne; 10-28-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:40 AM   #41  

Good Morning Everyone. The weather here is finally nice, around high 60's. Let's see how long it will last. It will probably be back up to 90 later today. It seems like many of us are on board for the holidays.
I have a non related question for everyone. I am going to the dermatologist tommorrow to have some skin tags removed. I go to the top dermatologist in the city and the procedure is cosmetic and not covered by insurance. Has anyone had this done before, and how much does it usually cost? I just want to be prepared, and not surprised with a 500.00 bill, since I am paying out of pocket. I tried calling the office and asking, but they couldn't give me an answer. That's a refreshing thought. Anyone??

Now, for a few replies:

Monet- Your cake looks fabulous!! You are very talented.

Woodfrogs- Gee, it must be like Bake Fest 2003 over at your office. Coffee Cake today and a bake sale tommorrow? Good for you for having the willpower not to join them munching away.

Deb- Interesting article on the types of sugar. When I first started SugarBusters, I didn't have a cold for over 2 years. I think it's true about sugars suppressing the immune system.

Teensy- Sounds like a good trade to me. Enjoy the "new" car. Your baking sounds yummy, but the dirty dishes does suck. That is probably the main reason why I don't cook.

Agape- Hope the nauses subsides and you feel better soon.

Fillise- Glad you enjoyed your visit with Monet.

mom2- I would definitely take your son to the neurologist. It is always better to be safe and rule out possible problems. I am also for the sedation if it may make him more comfortable. Even though the procedure is not painful, I can imagine it would be scary for a 2 year old, so giving him something might help him relax. Good Luck to you.

Heart- I have been wearing size 12 skirts for some time now, but still needed a 14 in pants because of my hips. On Sat, I discovered that I now wear a 12 in pants, and some 10's in skirts. I think the fact that you were able to buy a 12 shows real progress and like others have said on the board, GO WITH IT!!!

Everyone else, have a good day. I will check in this afternoon.-Ashley
Old 10-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #42  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Morning!

Have a large number of phone calls to make for the board I'm on for membership today so will be on the phone most of the day but figured I better try and catch up while the day is still young.

EMMA, how about sunflower seeds to munch on. Take a while and not too salty.

CHERYL, good luck with the house, it seems no matter what we do, it's never done! But hey, at least I can see my table again! At least for the time being

TEENSY, what did you do with your eggplant? I make a lot of eggplant here. Hope you figured it out

ROSE, parents are leaving tomorrow or Thursday to come home, can't wait! Tell RAY I say hello

JACKK, house like that? I couldn't even afford the taxes on one of the bathrooms I think! I had to be nosey and look up just how many acres they have, etc. etc. The market value is over 2.5 million, they have 16,435 feet on 2.11 acres. Oh, and it has 9 full baths it says! Sorry, I don't like cleaning the 2 toilets I have, much less 9!!!

MONET, I think 8 pounds is good - esp. when I've gained so much in that amount of time! Loved the cake, it's adorable!

HEART, sounds like you got a nice outfit at a good deal. My friend has a permit on her car for her son as well and gets lots of stares too. I don't agree that she should use it when he's not in the car, that's taking advantage, I think, but she does get lots of stares even when he's with her because from looking at him you'd never know he has heart troubles.

MOM, does DS not talk at all, nothing? I'd take him if the Dr. recommends it, can't hurt as others have said. Is EX afraid that if they find something wrong with DS that it's going to reflect on him? Can't understand these men sometimes!!! Hey, call me if you need me!!!! Wanna do lunch one day?

ZANNE, glad to see your post!!

FILLSE, glad to hear you and MONET got together! Sounds like you are stocked in the flour area AND the agave - what a great price!!!!

Okay, I'm sending HUGS and hello's to all of you and to those I may of missed. I have to get back on the telephone and make these calls and pleas for these families to join!!!

Toodles

Deb
Old 10-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #43  

Hi All,

Teensybean, while I am thinking about it, here is the recipe for Eggplant Parmesan plus another one from the SB Kids book. It sounds complicted to make but it really isn't. I usually put the eggplant on to bake while I make the sauce.

Eggplant Parmesan

Recipe By : American Wholefoods Cuisine
Serving Size : 4
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Large Eggplant -- About 2 Pounds
Oil
1/2 Pound Mozzarella Cheese -- Thinly Sliced
2 Cups Italian Tomato Sauce -- Recipe Below
3/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese -- Grated

Italian Tomato Sauce
1 Large Clove Garlic -- Minced
1 Large Onion -- Chopped
1/2 Cup Green Or Italian Pepper
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Or 1 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil
1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
1 Teaspoon Salt
Pepper -- To Taste
4 Tablespoons Dry Red Wine (Optional)

Trim ends from eggplant and cut into unpeeled rounds 1/4" thick. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet or broiler pan and brush surface with oil. Broil 3 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes until lightly browned. Turn, brush uncooked side with oil and broil for 3 minutes. (You could also just bake the eggplant rather than broil.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place single layer of cooked eggplant slices on the bottom of a 2 quart or 9X13" pan. Top with a single layer of mozzerella, sauce to cover and some grated Parmesan. Repeat layers until all eggplant is used, adding the Parmesan every few layers rather than each time. End with tomato sauce and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until sauce bubbles and cheese melts.

Preparation of Italian Tomato Sauce:

Sauté garlic, onion and pepper in oil for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Adjust seasonings and simmer for about 10 minutes to thicken. Add pepper and wine, if desired and cook briefly. Makes about 3 cups.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Casserole can be assembled in advance and refrigerated until it is to be baked. Let stand at room temperature while oven heats to remove chill or increase baking time by about 5 minutes.

Eggplant Parmigian

Recipe By : Sugar Busters for Kids
Serving Size : 6
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Basic Tomato Sauce
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion -- Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic -- Minced
2 Teaspoons Italian Seasonings
Fresh Herbs-Sage, Thyme, Parsley, Rosemary -- Optional
1 28 Oz Can Crushed Tomatoes -- No Sugar Added
1 15 Oz Can Tomato Sauce -- No Sugar Added
Eggplant Layers
2 Medium Eggplant
1/2 Pound Provolone Cheese Slices
2/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt And Pepper

To make the basic tomato sauce: In a medium skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender, about 6 minutes.Over medium heat, add the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, stirring to mix. Add the Italian seasoning and whatever fresh herbs you like while continuing to stir. Lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently. This should make 5 cups of sauce.

Layering: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel eggplants (I personally leave the peel on.) and slice into 1/2 inch ovals. Rinse and drain eggplant slices. Salt and pepper eggplant and set aside.

Spray a 9X12 inch rectangular glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the dish with 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce.
Place a layer of sliced eggplant over the sauce. Place single slices of provolone cheese over the eggplant and sprinkle with 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese. Cover with 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce.

Add remaining eggplant slices and cover with additional provolone slices and Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining tomato sauce.

Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 45 minutes until eggplant is fork-tender. Uncover and continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce the amount of liquid.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 10-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Tuesday Morning.

Doing good so far. Even though someone just brought in a huge chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Not having any, I promise.

Didn't get to walk last night. Kept waiting on SIL to pick up the dog and they didn't get there until 8:30. I did do my floor exercises and started a new routine I found in Fitness magazine. Thought I would mix it up a little. I am sore today. Should walk tonight unless it is raining. I think it is supposed to rain all day.

Bob, I can understand thatyou are not ready to get another dog. It would be so hard. We didn't replace ours when she died. I don't want to fool with all that again, plus we are not home enough. But I did think last night ( as my DH is holding and petting away on DD's dog) that if something happens to me, then the kids need to get him one for sure. Give it some time.

Monet, don't fret about those scales. You can never weigh on other scales. They will all be different. Go by yours and be happy with what you are accomplishing. The cake is adorable.

Deb, I agree with you on the SOBE diet. I don't think I could do the 2 week induction. I will just limit my starchy carbs or eliminate them for a week or so to get back on track. I should have called you Sunday night when I was gorging. Like AA, call before you take a bite. Glad your cousin is ok. I was watching the fires this morning. It is so sad.

Heartmom, A Sag Harbor outfit for $2.50 is a steal. Sounds like you got some nice bargains. Just as long as you don't let your cheat go any longer than the one day you should be fine. Just don't be like me and let it carry on and on and on. I think you should use that handicapped permit. People don't have enough to do. Like I tell my kinds, take care of yourself and quit worrying about everyone else.

Fillise, sending good vibes your way to make good choices today. You can do it.

Mom, does he say anthing at all? If not, I would take him. At 2 1/2 he should be putting 2 words together. Or at least saying one word things. I don't know about the sedation thing. I would trust the Drs.

Sef, some days we just can't get it going. It's ok. You deserve an off day with all you do. Hope today is better for you. Come on we will hold on to this life raft together. I'm paddeling hard.

Agape, sorry you are still feeling poorly. At least it keeps you from eating. Can you find the Carnitine at drug stores or Health Food Stores?

Zanne, glad you dropped in. Thanks for the info on So Be diet. I don't think I will try it like you don't want to give up my dairy and fruit. Just need to pay attentio to how much and what I am eating. Most of all to stay on track. Yes, brush off and get back on track.

Ashley, can't help on the dermatologists. Need to have some moles removed but keep putting it off. They should be able to give you some idea of the cost.Congrats on getting into a new size. Feels good doesn't it?

Deb, if you had that house someone else would be cleaning the toilets and everythign else too.

Woodfrogs, you sound like a Betty Crocker today. All sounds delish.

Need to get busy, just wanted to get a quick post in. Have a great day everyone.

Jackie.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:50 AM   #45  

MOM: Take your son to the neurologist. If he is not talking at 2 1/2, it would be smart to check it out. And since you mentioned that he seems to be frustrated at not being able to communicate, it makes it all the more important to get it checked out. I am not sure why your ex is worried about them sedating him. It is not as dangerous to sedate a 2 year old as a small baby. I am not a doctor, or nurse, but I do know that my daughter had to be sedated twice under the age of one for eye surgery, and it has not had any negative reprecussions that I can tell. Heartmom may have more info on that subject, since she has gone through so much with her son, Boogie. Keep us posted.

TEENSY: Just a note on eggplant... if you slice it, and sprinkle it with salt and let it sit for about 15 minutes, or even soak it in salted water, then rinse it, it will take all the bitter juices out of it. This is a trick I found in my Middle Eastern cookbook that has been one of the best steps in cooking eggplant I have ever found! I like it sauteed in a bit of olive oil. You can also brush it with olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar, and broil it. I love it!

Last edited by Ellen; 10-28-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Closed Thread