Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: With Halloween around the corner, how do you think you'll handle the candy issue?
I swore to stay totally OP and not have a single piece 8 28.57%
I promised I'd have just 1 piece and that would be it! 0 0%
I plan on having a tiny piece of SB LEGAL CHOCOLATE as my treat. 2 7.14%
I have a WEIGHT & SEE ATTITUDE right now. 2 7.14%
I'm not holding out for much hope for myself. 1 3.57%
You mean it's not Halloween already? I'm already guilty! 2 7.14%
I'm not opening my door, didn't buy any candy, not an issue! 6 21.43%
I'll let you know AFTER Friday! 4 14.29%
Can someone just tie my hands and tape my mouth up? Let's just say, I'm worried! 3 10.71%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #76  

Hi all:

I decided to come home while Britt was in school so Lane could take a nap. The Halloween party was fun....I had a few meatballs, chips with bean dip, veggies with dip & 3 tiny candy bars. It was good, but I came home and had some whole wheat pasta with some legal pasta sauce and pepperoncini peppers; it really hit the spot. Not sure what I'll make for dinner yet!

Yellow: We don't have room for the Christmas stuff...it's so hard to hide for two months. This way I am able to get all the "hot" toys early before it is too late, but someone else has to store it for me. I will have DH pick it up on Christmas Eve and just leave it in the truck until that night. Makes for a lot of work on Christmas Eve, but oh well! Sounds like a fun "traditional" shopping trip with your friend. I love to shop when the weather is balmy, but that doesn't happen much around here.

Country: I was wondering where you were! Maintenance is awesome; I just can't get carried away. I sometimes feel like I can have a little splurge everyday, and I know it will eventually catch up to me. Maybe I've gotten my metabolism at a good rate now; I think working out with weights really helps maintain that ongoing metabolism. You've done so well for so long, as long as you don't start gaining it back, then you are succeeding!!

Fillise: I am sure glad that there is an end in sight to this pain you are having to deal with. Hang in there, and get to feeling better soon.

Jack-K: So glad to see the scales are going back down for you. Keep up the good work!

Jecrites: Glad to see you are back. I can understand your frustration with your MIL; I never even told mine. They live out of state, and by the time they saw me, I had lost a lot of weight, so they probably thought I lost them with the weight (ha). AND, just my two cents worth....any guy who would leave a woman for having a surgery to improve her health....WELL, HERE'S THE DOOR BUDDY! I was concerned what my husband thought, but I knew in my heart that I was going to do it anyway. Good luck to you....hang in there, and stay out of those cupcakes .

Well, better go spend some time with Lane before we pick up Britt from school.

Take care all!
Nat
Old 10-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey, guys. Let me get WIW outta the way- I had a 3 pound loss this week, so I'm at 175. Yesterday it was up a couple, but I think it's because I weighed at 6 am(instead of 9 am) and my kidneys hadn't filtered everything out by then. I'm grateful for the loss(finally)- it seems that the past few months I've been losing in spurts. 3 or 4 weeks go by without losing and then all of a sudden I get a 2-3 loss. I think it evens out. So I've officially lost 95 #'s so far. Only 5 to make it to the Proud Member of the 100 plus club,lol. Had to go to the dollar store to buy Ashley some black tights for her witch costume, got hungry while there and bought a bag of the Hershey's SF chocolate and ate a serving(5 pieces, nope-I had 6). I wished I hadn't ate it. Oh,well. I do believe it must be the thought of the holidays or the weather change, that is making my appetite soar. I have steaks marinating in the fridge. I'm going to fix a salad and I don't know what else to go with it. Seems like the only thing I see is starchy carbs(don't need anymore today). I want to dress up for Halloween too. Don't have anything, so I think I'll just make up my face. We're going with some friends- they have a truck and we're going to fill it with hay. It'll be us four women and at least 8 kids. We're having a Halloween party for the adults afterwards. So the men will be home building a fire,etc... more than likely working on a bottle of booze.

DEB- Hang in there, you can do this. You've come too far to go backwards.

Jackie- Boogie's had more shots than I can count- he suffers from White Coat Syndrome- and I don't blame him one bit. He actually looks forward to seeing Dr. Joransen, his cardiologist. I've figured it's because he's never endured pain by his hands- it's the nurses he doesn't like. It is a good feeling to know that he's doing so well now. We used to stay at the pediatrician and the card- now it will be 6 months before a card checkup and the last time he was at the pediatrician, was for a steroid shot because of ant bites this past summer.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:54 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm outa here gang.

Heading home to surprise supper. Means I have no idea what to fix. Probably fajitas. Not my fav. Probably will walk (oops forgot to post last nights exercise on the board) and will do wts too.

Jecrites, glad to see you back. Good going on gettingin-laws to try SB. Those mil's know how to get to you don't they.

Agape, thanks for the infor on the carnitine. I will look for it the next trip to the HFS.

Heartmom, you are half out of the 170's now. You are doing great and will soon be able to boast the 100 # loss. THe party sounds like fun. Sure the kids will love it. Boogie is doing so good now. Count your blessings.

Pancho, Watch that candy now.

Have a great evening everyone.

Jackie
Old 10-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #79  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MAN!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE FROM YESTERDAY!!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL, THE BREEZES FROM THE GULF ARE BLOWING IN...I LOVE IT!!!

I got a call today from my EX's SIL telling me that his Mother died last night. She left the tele # for me to call, but I just can't bring myself to do it... ADVICE PLEASE: We had a 13 yrs relationship the ALMOST led to marriage several times. I count my blessings on a regular basis that we never did tie the knot. Our time together was very passionate, but stormy. (no abuse) I haven't laid eyes on him since 1989, but thru the years, there have been many phone calls in the wee hours of the night due to his drinking. Our lifestyle in Lexington was set among the very elite social crowd. This led to my severe drinking years which I'm not very proud of. I've gotten over the drinking thing (I'm not a prewed, and am able to drink when I want to now...not because I have to have it) and could care less about night after night in bars and at partys. My last conversation with him was to tell him to just leave me alone. Now don't get me wrong, I love him as much today as I ever have, but we are one of those couples that just can't be together. It took me a long time to get to the point of knowing this. He was here in Sarasota two years ago and left me countless phone messages to meet him or to call him (which I never did). OK...I'm rambling now..... I just don't want to call him. I know he's hurting at the loss of his Mom, but I think that a card would be sufficient, which I will send in a few days. AM I WRONG TO NOT CALL HIM? I did call a mutual friend of ours and told him to please give him my condolences....which I know that he will do for me. BUDDYS.....I NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK????

JACKIE....Not my Niece, but her husband who works for B&W. She told me today that the city is having a hard time with their leaving because of their support and contributions etc...It will take a lot of jobs away from people who won't be offered on of the 800 positions that will be available.

LAURIE....did you find your smilies?

PANCHO...any new news from your Sister?

AGAPE...I've seen that book your quoting from ...it's a good one, but one I don't have...might have to check it out!

JEC...It's probably better that you didn't say anything in reply to that....it might have turned nasty!

CHERYL...did you find the SB book an easy read? I refer to mine often...the DOC has some good suggestions in there...

SUSAN....POOR BABY Just keep telling yourself....only one more month and I will NEVER DEAL WITH THIS AGAIN!!! Just snuggle with MS BELLE...she'll do the trick!

CRYSTLE....WAY TO GO GIRLFRIEND on getting back out there and walking! Enjoy that weather....it won't last long! Winter will be here before you know it!

Ilana. so SORRY that you've had to deal with the EX....keep your chin up...you're doing the right thing abou the DOC....

TONI....way to go on getting that wood ready! My poor Brother called Sunday and they were trying to keep warm. When I suggested that they build a fire, he said his wood was wet!

TRISH...I'm sure that Jordan is just fine. I just heard that the wind is shifting and that will help the situation.. GOOD THOUGHTS COMING YOUR WAY FOR JORDAN!!!!

I know I didn't get to everyone, but Kate says it's time to start supper! I'm going to fix some fish...that sounds really good to me...hope she feels the same way!

HAVE A GREAT EVENING!!!

BOB
Old 10-29-2003, 05:47 PM   #80  

BOB - Just remember you asked for this advice, so here it is and that's all it is. I think that in reading your post, you already know what to do. While I'm sure you feel bad for him losing his mother, you have to do what is most healthy for you. Nothing you do will bring his mother back or in all reality ease his pain in losing her. It seems that at this time, the answer is to do exactly what you said. Send the card, maybe with a handwritten note and leave it at that. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but our concern is for you and not him. We don't want you going down a road that will hurt you in the long run.

So there. Off my soapbox for the evening.

Trish
Old 10-29-2003, 05:53 PM   #81  

Hi guys! (and gals!)

Work today was actually fun. The WWoB was off today. (Tomorrow may not be as fun!) I even stayed an extra hour to complete some stuff. Unfortunately, I was exhausted, and every joint in my body ached. Three Ibuprofens took the edge off it, but I am not looking forward to tomorrow. When the weather changes from warm to cold, my Lupus flares, so I am not concerned right now, since it usually calms down in a few weeks.

GREEN: I gather from your post that you are diabetic. SB will help get the sugar under control, but it may take a bit of time. I have been doing SB for two years, and before that, I did Protein Power. In the four years I have been seeing my present doctor, he has been trying to get my thyroid and insulin levels normalized. I started on Glucophage a year ago, and in that time, my insulin has gone from 19 to 13. He wants it to go down to 8 to 10. He said it just takes some time, and once it gets down there, losing weight will be easier. I sure hope he is right! Hang in there, and give it some time. Its taken me six years to lose 45 pounds, but at least I am going in the right direction! The semolina pasta is ok, but in moderation. Its not the best starchy carb to have on the GI. Lentils or beans would be better.

JECRITES: Good to see you back. Is your shoulder all better now? I had to laugh about your MIL. Sounds like mine! The times she comes to visit and does not tick me off in some big way are very rare! Surely you would discuss a breast reduction with your husband before you went and had it done! What did she think you would do? Surprise him!? My MIL has always tried to come between my husband and I, but once I pointed out in a rational way what she was doing, he watched for it, and jumped on her about it. Then she said something really insulting at the dinner table once, and my son, who was about 18 at the time, lit into her about it before his father could even respond. Now she is very careful not to say anything ugly in front of them! You ought to tell your hubby what his mother said about him leaving you if you had a boob job....you might get some mileage out of it! haha!

FILLISE: Oh, my poor dear! I am so sorry you are in so much pain! Shall I hop in the car and run over to Auburn with my Lortabs? Thankfully, its almost over.

HEART: Wow! 95 is awesome! I can't wait until you hit the 100 mark! I will probably be a wee bit green with envy, but I am going to be really happy for you!

MOM: Did the lawyer think your Xmil had a leg to stand on about the neurologist thing? What is the deal? Is your ex afraid it will cost him more money then he is willing to pay in child support or something? I can't understand why the two of them would not want to have everything checked out. Its insane! As for not being on SB yet...no problem! I have been off the diet a number of times, and they still let me stay on here! If it helps to be here, we want you here!

PANCHO: I am so impressed that you have done your Christimas shopping already! I hardly know what to buy everyone yet! I have gotten a few things here and there, but I hide them and then forget about them! Long about January, or February, I find them and feel like a fool! haha!

JACK: Down four since Monday sounds good to me! So what did you end up having for dinner? And was it really 50 pork chops or was that just an exaggeration?

COUNTRY: I am with you! I am sure that gain had nothing to do with chips or triscuits! Especially if you ate them standing up! Everyone knows food eaten while standing sinks right down and through the intestines before the calories can be absorbed. Right? Get back on the straight and narrow! Or I am going to have to come out there and tie you to the wagon! Don't make me come after you!

YELLOW: Thanks for the tip about the recipes on here for the SoBe. I know the second phase is like SB, and the first phase is like Atkins, which I did before SB, so I am not too worried about cooking for them. I will probably just make chicken breasts and veggies, and a salad. Thanks for the compliments on the fish cake. It was a lot of fun. I talked to my manager today about doing some designs for the store. He is going to help me get some stuff submitted to the right person.

WOOD: Congrats on the pound gone! You are doing great!

AGAPE: Interesting info on the carnitine. There is evidence that Aceytl L Carnitine is a potent antioxidant that protects the cell mitochondria from free radicals. This is an effective anti aging agent. I started taking it, and Alpha Lipoic Acid for their anti aging properties. There was an interesting article in Reader's Digest about the research on it. It was compelling enough to get my biochemist husband to try it for a few months.

Ok, small group is tonight and I think I better shower before I go! I feel greasy from working with icing all morning!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:59 PM   #82  

BOB: I was typing as you were posting. I think you are right not to call. Just send a card. If you have not seen him since 89, and do not have a relationship with him anymore, a card is sufficient. Send a note, and leave it at that. Trust your intuition here. I think it is right on ...
Old 10-29-2003, 06:19 PM   #83  

Good evening everyone. Just checking back in... I've got steaks thawing for tonight. Think I'll have that with a salad and maybe make some beans or something for DH. I walked again in the campground. Am also thinking of doing 2 weeks of South Beach. I got the e book and its so much like Sugar Busters. But I need a jump start.

YellowRose- Slow but steady is always the best. I'm glad you're doing well.

mom2jared-I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. Sounds like your ex and exMIL is really giving you fits. You were smart to call your lawyer and find out your rights.

CountryMom- Thanks for the encouragement. This is sure a battle... I'm sure you'll do better next week.

Fillise- I'm feeling so bad for you and your pain. I hope you were able to get some rest today...

Cherylco- I wonder if its winter coming thats making us have so much trouble. Maybe we're trying to store fat for the cold weather!!!

Jack-K- Congrads on losing that 4 lbs. You rock girlfriend. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I miss having you to race with.....

jecrites- Wow that would be great if your MIL took off on SB and did well. You must have set a real good example for her to even try it..

agape- Those recipes sound good. Thanks for posting them. I always like something new to try.

Pancho- Aren't those parties hard to get through!!!! All the yummy food around.

heartmom- Way to go girl on a 3 lb. loss!!! Great JOB!!!

Bob- If I could put my 2 cents in, I sure think you're right on with sending a card. I admire the way you deal with everything....

Monet- I sure liked your gold fish cake. I'll bet the lady was pleased as punch....

Wood- Congrads on the weight loss.

Debilli- You sure show us that Sugar Busters is a way of life. Thanks for being you...

Guess I'd better go throw those steaks in the broiler.... Have a good night everyone....
Old 10-29-2003, 06:52 PM   #84  

Hi gang-

Not much doing again today. It is just too cold to do anything. It really turned cold. And the wind is blowing 50 MPH or so.
Dh is hanging out in his shop with a fire going.....maybe I will get lucky and he is cleaning. Yeah, right!!

Congrats to all you losers out there......

Wood-- WTG you are shrinking before our very eyes!! I am dancing in my seat for you today!! 44 pounds gone, AWESOME!!

Pancho--Have fun today!

Trish-- Hang in there.Tom could be the big culprit!!

Yellow-- I am still eating on the Parmigiana as Dh won't eat it. He did take a taste, but he is not one for eggplant, (or so he says) or much on cheese. So I will take my time and have a piece with dinner. Yum, yum!!

Fillise-- Hope you will feel better soon. I know you can't wait until Dec 5, and it is just around the corner!

Cherylco-- Thanks for the info....will finish reading it tonight.

Jack-k-- You are getting back there!! Good for you! I don't think anything sounded harsh. I do think the disgust at yourself came through loud and clear. Don't beat yourself up so bad.....you are after all, only human!!

Jec-- Nice to see you back, we missed you posting this week!

Agape-- THANK YOU! I am printing them out now. It may be a while before I get to cook any again.....see above to Yellow! I have all the ingred for the first one except for the eggplant.....and the roasted peppers. Will have to try this one for sure!

Heart-- Pat yourself on the back girl........you have done an outstanding job!!

BOB-- I think a card is sufficient. If you don't feel that you want to talk to him in person.....don't!

Monet-- Glad you had a great day at work.

Well I am going to go and spank some barking dogs!! Yeah, right!
See you all later.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #85  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

THANK YOU!!!! You guys are the best...I knew my SISTERS would be right there for me...I'll stop and get a card tomorrow. I already know that if I call him, he will pull me right back in, and emotionally, that WILL NOT BE GOOD FOR BOB

I'm off to fluff the pillows and crawl up in the four poster...Can't wait to see BACHELOR BOB tonight....he's coming to Tampa to visit!

I JUST LOVE YOU CHICKIES!!!!!

BOB
Old 10-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #86  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey all

Sorry I've been MIA but I've been sick again! This time - fever and all. So, I have been quite miserable. I've been trying to eat better. Not perfectly but better. I haven't even skimmed the posts this week - Sorry! Please forgive me. Hopefully, I can catch up with everyone this weekend.

Missy
Old 10-29-2003, 08:23 PM   #87  
Bustin' Buddy

BOB: Just laughing at your pumpkin on your post above - that's how I've been feeling this week!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:57 PM   #88  

Default Big Orange Babe

No one can make the final decession SP
but you. My advice is send him a card,and let it go. Staying in contact by phone is not a good idea if he is a dead issue. The more you act like his friend, and you say you have not seen him since 89, the more he will make you as someone he calls when no one else will listen to him. If you were seeing each other once in a blue moon it might make a difference.
I just think their comes a time,especially after 13 years of on and off relationship you have to drop it and go on with your life. If you were sure it was the right thing to do and of course I am reading between the lines but it sounds like you really do not want too. The problem is you are a kind person and do not want a guilt trip, but their should not be one. We have enought problems in life without keeping one's we need to let go. I fell it hard to give advice as this is a touchy sort of thing , but again you need to search your soul and what ever you do will be right,

SuperDave
Old 10-29-2003, 09:56 PM   #89  

I couldn't ask for better support. I really appreciate it.

It has been a long day but here is an update.

I spoke to my Counselor this morning because I was upset and told her what happened. She told me that I did nothing wrong by canceling the appointment with the Neurologist and wanted me to call my Attorney to find out whether it was legal to take Jared to the Neurologist without Ex's approval. She felt that if I went around Ex's back, there would be a record of the office visit and in a court of law, it could be used against me.

I called my Attorney and she told me that my Ex and his mother were a real piece of work and that I didn't do anything wrong. She told me to call Jared's Pediatrician and to have her write a letter stating that she felt the Neurologist was medically necessary. Then the Attorney would write a letter to Ex's Attorney attaching the letter and stating that if they didn't comply with me taking Jared to the Neurologist, we would get a court order.

Well as it turns out, none of that is necessary because Pediatrician feels that since Jared is now in Speech Therapy (just started yesterday) we should wait three months and see if there is any improvement. If not, she said she would be happy to write the letter recommending the Neurologist. The only reason the Pediatrician told me that she recommended the Neurologist in the first place was because Ex didn't want Jared to get Speech Therapy. Apparently now that Ex has changed his tune, the Pediatrician has changed her tune as well.

I am wondering now if I should get a letter from the Pediatrician about tonight's conversation and her recommendation that we wait three months.

What do you think?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:49 PM   #90  

MOM: I think you should get a letter from the pediatrician about the conversation you had tonight, and the recommendation to wait three months and see how speech therapy goes. Its really important to document, document, document! You don't know if you will need the documentation, but it sounds like your ex and his family are some kind of piece of work that would make it prudent to be prepared to thwart their efforts to harrass you by covering all the bases. I am so sorry you have to deal with this kind of headache.

SUPER DAVE: Was it you I promised my beef jerky recipe to? I am getting so forgetful! Here it is: 1 pound beef flank steak trimmed of all visible fat, 1 T fajita seasoning (salt,pepper and garlic) Cut the steak with the grain, into 1 x 4 x 1/4 inch pieces. Mix the beef with the seasoning. (You can use 1 T salt, 1 t granulated garlic, and 1/2 t black pepper, ground if you can't find the fajita seasoning) Lay the strips out in a single layer without overlapping on a rack placed over a cookie sheet with sides (to catch drips) Place in a 175 to 200 degree oven for 8 hours, or until beef is dry. Drain on absorbent paper, and store in an airtight container. This is easy and nutritious- it makes a great snack, or mini meal with some fresh veggies that can be eaten on the run.

TONI: Yum! Steaks! We had Mrs. Winners fried chicken and green beans. Small group night is always hard cause the group is much younger than us and can't quite grasp that we don't eat white flour, or sugar! Oh well!

TEENSY: I have an eggplant recipe you may be able to get your hubby to eat. It is sliced, broiled on one side, then you make kind of taco shaped rolls out of it, filled with ricotta that is jazzed up with black olives, roasted red pepper, and has fresh basil and oregano in it. My son, who usually doesn't like eggplant loved it. I will try and find it and post it for you tomorrow after work!

FRUIT: I sure hope you feel better soon!

Ok, I am going to go hit the pillow! I am tired and work is going to be trying tomorrow, I am afraid! Night everyone! Sweet dreams!
Closed Thread