Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:40 PM   #1  

Default can someone help me??

Hello

I got to this forum off the Sugar Busters site, and I'm assuming it's a SB forum?

I've been trying to follow Atkins. I've been eating about 30 - 40 gms carbs/day and lots of fat.

I've only lost 5 lbs.

I've struggled to lose 23 lbs over the last year, tortuously slow.

I'm thinking of reducing the amount of fat I eat and increasing the carbs.

I posted this on the Atkins forum and go shot down.

I have an underactive thryoid that I take medication for. I've read that when we go below 60 gms/carbs a day we decrease our thyroid hormone conversion.

I'm extremely frustrated and confused about what I should be eating to lose and maintain my loss. I'm a very active person, but even when we go on week long kayak trips, I gain weight. I gain about 5 lbs on every holiday then it takes me 2 months to lose it.

I feel doomed.

Do you think I should reduce my fat and eat a few more carbs to increase my available thyroid hormone?

I also don't lose anything if I eat much more than 60 gms a day.

I want off this merry go round and onto something I can do for life.

Can anyone help me??

Thank you!

Maggie
Old 10-31-2003, 02:28 PM   #2  

ykmaggie

My name is Paula aka:green rn on the sb weekly support board. go to 3 fat chicks helthy weight loss spport forums and click on the sugar busters weekly support board. Here there are very knowledgable people on sugar busters.

As I am still a junior member my knowledge is very limited. I tried Atkins, but was not compliant as I was starving for carbs.

I feel sugar busters is a lot healther for you as you eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegies, whole wheat pasta and 100% semolina pasta is legal, as is wild rice and brown rices. Also stone ground whole wheat flour and several breads. Your carbs are low glycemic, to reduce the increase in blood sugar and secreation of insulin. No white potatoes, white flours, beets, carrots(in large quanities)or corn products. may eat sweet potatoes.

You must eat fruit 30 minutes before any meal, or 2 hours after a meal. No watermellon, pinapples, or bananas.

You may eat nuts.

You can eat foods that are 3 grams of sugar or less per serving, that includes sugar free pudding, sugar free ice cream, sugar free candy.

You can eat cereal with milk, esp. old fashion oatmeal, peanut butter, beans and lentals, the list goes on and on.

Three meals a day, with 3 snacks a day.

I think you eat 40 % protein, 30 % carbs, and 30 % fat.

Look foreward to seeing you on the sugar busters weekly support board.

Last edited by green rn; 10-31-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:15 PM   #3  

Thank you Green!

I had my little cry this morning and am ready to start over.

Thanks for the advice on SB. Unfortunately I loaned out my book and can't remember who I has it.

I have to keep remembering that while 158 lbs isn't great, it's much better than the 182 lbs I weighed a year ago.

Take care

Maggie
Closed Thread