Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #61  

AYE AYE Captain Jackie.....I'll keep you informed....

BOB
Old 07-24-2003, 09:24 AM   #62  
LadyV

Height: 5'0"

Just wanted to say g-morning to you all. I work 12:30 to 9 tonight so I got to sleep in some When it starts to get late though I'll be wondering why the heck did I scheduled myself for the late night...again LOL I stayed on track yesterday despite and emergency at work...I sure thought about going and getting a candy bar out of the vending machine but I didn't.....I'm an emotional eater! So today is another day!. I actually don't do too badly on work days...it's my day off "nights" I have trouble with....
Aaaaaaaanyway........
I look forward to getting to know you all. Right now I'm a little overwhelmed with so much "new" everything.....
Old 07-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #63  

Good morning all:

Things so far around here are good, but I think my 5-year old is getting a cold (coughing, sneezing, runny nose). I swear I get one of them better and the other one gets sick; what's up with that? It's summer....we are supposed to stay well when it is hot out.

I guess my carb overdose on Tuesday didn't affect me too much. I was at 124.5 this morning, down a half pound from yesterday. I did have yogurt for breakfast yesterday and a Caesar salad without croutons for lunch, and are you ready?......I had a large salad and an ear of corn-on-the-cob for dinner. I know it is illegal and I haven't had any in months, but the "sweet" corn from Olathe, Colorado made it into the stores yesterday and I had to treat myself to one. I did put butter on it, so that changes the glycemic load some, and I savoured it knowing that would be it for awhile. I also had another handful of popcorn when hubby popped some

Sugar: Welcome! I was an Atkins do-er as well. SugarBusters is a healthy way to eat the rest of your life. I knew when I was on Atkins that I could not eat that way forever, even in the maintenance phase. You seem to pretty much understand the basics. I found the pocket size shopper's guide really helpful. It outlines everything you can have and all the forbidden foods. It was a real life-saver for me in the beginning. Everyone is different, but here is how I've done on SB.....I was on Atkins for 2 months and lost 12 pounds (very touchy ones I might add). I have been doing SB for 2 1/2 months and have lost 15 pounds, and they haven't been nearly as touchy. I can have a little cheat/splurge, and as long as I don't overdo it, I am fine. When I was on Atkins, if I had one little cheat, I would gain 2-3 pounds. Good luck; I know you will be happy here.

Gator: How was you dad when you spoke with him last night??

BOB: Good luck to you on quitting smoking; I know that you know it is bad for you, but I'm sure it is an addictive behavior very hard to break. Boobie squashing....crack me up. It hurts to have those mammos done. As far as the lymph node, I will pray that it is nothing. I had a large lump in my armpit when my oldest daughter was 4 days old. My doc. thought it was an infection (which it wasn't), and I ended up being referred out to a surgeon who told me it was probably Lymphoma, breast cancer or Hodgkins. I left there praying it was breast cancer (that was the best of the three, right?). Well, after much testing, it turns out that it was assymetrical breast tissue and nothing had to be done (maybe it was all the prayers that turned it all around). Anyway, during my second pregnancy (I was only 10 weeks along), the lump reappeared and was large. I had to deal with it throughout my pregnancy, and when my daughter was about three months old, the surgeon removed it, and it was nothing!! I would think that if the node appeared so long ago, and you have been well, overall that it is really nothing. But, you can't be too careful these days. Best of luck to you through all the testing for everything!

Woodfrogs: Congrats on the 2 pounds.

Beach: Hope you head is feeling better.

heartmom: Just hi; what's going on? Is all well on your end?

Teensy: Glad you found a new doctor. I hope the lump on your arm turns out to be nothing. I don't know a lot about heart murmurs, but I do know that a lot of people are born with them, and don't find out until later in life. I am not sure how they develop if you don't have one early in life. I don't think that they are too serious if the doctor is aware that you have one. But, I'm no expert, that's for sure. Popcorn is not legal (it's corn), but I've always eaten a little here and there (even when on Atkins) and it has never affected me negatively. There is a new popcorn called Smart Balance, which has no trans fats and no hydrogenated oils and it tastes delicious! Our entire family will eat that from now on.

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful day. Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!

Take care.

Last edited by Pancho; 07-24-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:25 PM   #64  

Hi Everyone

Sugar - Welcome to the board. Yes this is a very healthy woe and we can eat a great variety of foods, unlike Atkins. The fruit rule is flexible. Some people may have trouble with digestion if fruit is eaten with a meal as it sits in the stomach too long and ferments. But if it doesn't bother you then it is fine to have it with a meal. This rule doesn't apply to berries, it's quite o.k. to have them with a meal. I like to have berries with my cereal in the morning. The 2-3 starchy carbs a day that we are allowed includes breads, rice and pasta. Brown rice is preferred unless it is Basmati then white or brown is allowed. Pasta preferably should be made with whole wheat but if it is cooked al dente white is also acceptable. I don't know if the new book says to avoid carrots. Since the first book came out more testing has been done and they were found to have a lower gi than the original testing showed so now are legal - cooked as well as raw. Lots of veggies are allowed like broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, kale and other greens, tomatoes, green beans. There a lots of others but that's all I can think of for now. We all lose at different rates so it is hard to say how quickly you should lose. 1-2 pounds per week would be a good loss although some lose larger amounts at the beginning and then it slows down. Others have a much harder time losing. You might want to check out RISSA'S SITE. This has lots of good information on this woe.

Gator - Hope your df is doing well following his surgery.

BOB - Hope you survive the boobie smashing to-day. It's not too hot here right now. To-day is about 78 degrees but tomorrow promises to be hotter. I try to avoid the bowling in the afternoon when it is too hot.

Woodfrogs - Congrats on the 2 pounds down this week.

Beachfan - Hope your headache is better.

Teensybean - There are various reasons for heart murmers. Some are serious others don't cause any problems. My 36 yr old dd was diagnosed with one recently and was told hers was due to a defective valve. There was no treatment recommended except that she will have to take antibiotics before any future dental work. You might want to check out the website of the American Heart Association for some information.

Jack-K - Have a wonderful vacation. Watch those margaritas but have fun.

LadyVatrovia - Hi.

Pancho - Hope your dd is better soon. I don't think that ear of corn should do any damage. Sounds like you were op the rest of the day. What's a handful of popcorn - can't be anymore than 2-3 grams of carbs. .

Well I'd better go and take the laundry out of the drier. I'm really running late to-day. All I've done so far is have breakfast, read the newspaper and have done one load of laundry. Have to go and shower, have lunch and do some grocery shopping. Haven't decided what to have for dinner yet.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #65  

Quick Hi! Yes my head is better today. The day after a headache I am just tired and shaky. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:40 PM   #66  
Little Engine That Could

I tried to get on the board for the last 2 hours (between 1 and 3) but it must have been down or sumptin'. Anyway, it is working now.

I got my 3 miles in today. Boy, it is hot. I began sweatin' half way through. I tried to pick up the pace and got my mileage in 5 minutes faster than I usually do.

Breakfast:
1 scrambled egg,
1 slice bacon microwaved crisp
1 thin slice WW bread with 1 t butter
1 wedge honeydew melon

Lunch:
Caramelized vidalia onions and carrots with stir fried chicken added. Then sauced with sherry and finished by swirling in 2 T sour cream. Yum!
1 canteloupe wedge

So far, about 600 calories.
I am working out down at my DH's club this evening, so will get to have supper out at the restaurant there. I probably will have their California Salad, a meal--
1/2 head bibb lettuce, crab meat, 4 or 5 segments of citrus fruit, some avocado slices and lo-cal dressing.

My cable is on the fritz today so most of the time I cannot get onto the internet. When I started this post I was linked, but now it is down. The repairman is coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an easy fix with a loose wire or something in the back of the house where the cable comes in. I've been plagued by the problem for the past 3 days. Today it is worse. When the cable comes back up I will post this.

My DF is doing OK as of last night. The surgery (pacemaker inplant) did not require total anesthesia, but he had a local and some Versaid to make him forget everything that had happened. He has to keep his left arm totally immobile, and they have to watch him like a hawk for 24 hours. He is hoping that he can go home tomorrow. He still has a urinary/prostate problem and I don't know what he will decide to do about that. It's a man's problem. We women have enough of our own; thank goodness we don't have that one too.

Gotta go. I'm trying to take butterfly pictures. I got a couple this morning. I am using a still camera so it will be a week or so before I get the pictures developed. Some of the biggest butterflies--the giant swallowtail and the tiger swallowtail (my favorite) are so big that they flutter their wings when then nectar to keep their balance. So I will be interested in seeing how the pix turned out.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:54 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

gETTING READY TO LEAVE.

I will miss you guys. See you Aug 4th.

Lady, WTG on that self control when you were stressed out. Keep your goal in mind and that will help keep you focused.

Pancho, congrats on being down another 1/2 lb. I haven't had corn in over 2 years. A big piece on the cob sounds so good. Hope your kiddo feels better.

Gator, hope your dad is doing ok after his surgery.

Jackie
Old 07-24-2003, 05:00 PM   #68  

Another quick post from me...I just don't seem to have much time lately!

Work was, well, work this morning. I was SO tired! I did not want to go in, and could not believe how slow the clock moved this morning! I tried to take a nap when I got home, but did not get in much of one. Tonight, we are going to some friends' house for dinner and to play Scrabble. Not sure how I am going to be able to play as tired as I am!

I am trying to get back on track and so I am taking it one step at a time. I am getting the sugar out first. Today, I have had too many starches, but I feel like I am making some progress. I have wanted to get my fingers into the icing at work, eat sweet snacks I have here for my kids, but did not.

Tomorrow I am off, so I will try and get in a nice long post, and hopefully some replies!

Hugs to you all!

Old 07-24-2003, 05:06 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

TEENSY- Heart murmurs in their self aren't dangerous. It's simply the sound your heart makes. BUT- in alot of cases, this is a signal that there might be something wrong. The reason the tech asked you if you took Phen Phen is because it has been linked to causing mitral valve damage. My son, Joseph, has a very strong murmur. In fact, I get a kick out of it when docs don't read his chart before coming in, and they listen to his chest in awe. Some say they've never heard such a pronounced murmur before. BTW, he was born with a congenital heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Basically, he doesn't have a left ventricle. He's had 3 open heart surgeries(he's 3), and they have replumbed his heart so that his right ventricle does all the work, and it's like he only has half a heart now. Anyway, don't freak out until you know what's what. I know several people who have murmurs and nothing is wrong. My half sister has mitral valve prolapse and a murmur, she only takes medicine for it. And of course, before any dental work(including cleaning), you have to take antibiotics.

Well guys, I feel really crappy. I am up 5 pounds!!!!! We went on vacation to Pensacola Beach Friday. Friday I did okay with the eating and all **** broke loose after that! I ate more than I've EVER eaten in my life! I couldn't stop, I just ate and ate- and of course, all bad. Too ashamed to tell what all I consumed. Just when I was doing so good, too. Well, I'm back home and back on track. Even exercised to my 3 mile tape today. But it wasn't worth it. And although, I'm back on plan, I'm eating too much. I feel hungry all the time. See what sugar does to ya?!! I learned a lesson the hard way. Anyway, the damage is done, and it's a new day. I would post my lunch today, but I'm embarrassed at the amount I ate, although legal. I'll be glad when these sugar cravings go away.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #70  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD AFTERNOON BUDDYS!

Just home from the squashing...the nodule showed up on the films. The Tech felt around and said it was just under the skin and she could feel under it so it's not deep...Of course, she told me that she's not a Doc and wants me to have it checked.
I'll do that with my gyno....it's about the size of a pea. Might as well have it removed just to be safe...I'll keep you posted.

ROSALIE...So glad to hear that you don't do the bowling in the heat of the day. We have a court here in Sarasota for the Canadians and the English that come for vacation...I remember from when I was just a little girl, we would go and watch..Looks like fun, but it's to damn hot even after the sun goes down here to try it out!

TEENSY...my Brother was diagnosed years ago with a murmor and it has never given him any problems. He 's a very active person, so I imagine that if it was gonna do anything, it would have done it by now. Let me know how the testing goes...we don't want it to interfere with our BAR HOPPING!

HEART...How's BOOGIE....hope he's feeling good and enjoying
the summer...

MONET....you've just gotten TOO BUSY!!! SLOW DOWN...we miss you and your daily posts!

GATOR....glad to hear your DOD is going good...goot thoughts still coming your way....Can't wait to see the pictures....

BEACH....so glad your noggin is better...

PANCHO....I promise to get this checked....thanks for sharing your story with me...

LadyV....don't worry, you'll catch on to our craziness around here and be right in the middle of it before you know it!

WOODFROGS.....CONGRATS on the loss....keep it up girl!!!!

Well...time to feed the FURBABY

Later

BOB
Old 07-24-2003, 10:03 PM   #71  

Angry FEELING BETTER!

Hi ALL I feel much better and am even up to getting on the computer. At work I have a screen that filters out the light so it doesn't bother me there but at home I haven't bought myself one yet and should!

Sugar - Welcome to the board. SB has been successful for me. I actually lost 90 lbs but didn't do a great job of sticking to it as a way of life gained about half of it back before getting my head on straight and starting over. This time I am close to 20 lbs lost and am committed to making it a way of life. For me, I have to watch the amount I eat and walk to lose weight.

Gator - How did you get into the butterfly garden. I love them and try to plant flowers that will attrack them. The other day the prettiest biggest butterfly I had ever seen was outside my front door. Of course I don't know enough to tell you what kind it was!

BOB - I have to do the female doctor in 2 weeks. Mine is always an all day ordeal because of past history and my mom having ovarian cancer. I get the boobie smash and ultrasounds etc. What a pain! (in more ways than one)

Woodfrogs - Congrats on losing this week.

Jack-k - HAVE A GREAT TIME ON YOUR VACATION. We will miss you. I like the good drinks too. One way I think I did ok was to limit myself to one good drink a day.

Teensy - Hearing that your heart has problems is always scary. I was born with a hole in my heart and am still very active and actually very healthy. The advances in cardiology these days is astounding! You'll be fine. I'm thinking about you!

Lady - You'll figure us all out quickly and the SB plan. Glad you are here.

Pancho - I know how it feels to have a little one with a cold. They are miserable and you are too. Even now with 2 teenagers, when they are sick, we are all miserable!

Monet and Pancho and Heartmom - One thing that helps me get over the sugar high is to have almost all carbs for 1-2 days and not worry about the portions. This usually cures me and I get back on track...except when I hit goal weight and went crazy but you can't count that can you? Just don't do what I did and stop coming to the board. I think that is why I had such a hard time. I was hiding from DEBBIE and myself and everyone else here.

Rosalie - You've done a great job with the board this week.

Rosalie and Gator - Your meals make my mouth water. I am just not that great a cook and seem to take the easy way out. You both are starting to inspire me to get more creative.

Hope I didn't leave anyone out. When you've been a way even for 1 day it is hard to keep up!

Several people commented on how my family walks with me. We've really started to make it a family tradition with the teenagers. When they are little you see them all the time (sometimes too much) but then suddenly all the family time goes away. We eat out one time a week together and go walking in the evenings. The other thing is that even though they don't have a weight problem, the teens were eating pretty unhealthy. Now they tend to eat like I do and really think about what they are eating. My son is a sugarholic but he is getting better. My daughter also is a dance so she needs the energy that eating this way gives her. My hubby...needs to lose wt and is trying but he loves food

Well have to run. Am being visited by 5 teenage boys who are spending the night!

222/177/140
Old 07-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone!

Thank you all for all the info and support! I can already tell that this board is a lot of fun So much better than talking about what kind of cheese you ate with your meat, ha ha
Anyway just wanted to pop in and say hello and thanks!
Sherry
Old 07-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Toni48

5 and a half pounds is totally awesome!! Good for you.
Made the skillet pizza tonight. Was delicious.

GhostDeen
Way to go on those 2 pounds!

Sugar Sherry
Glad you made it over. You have your info correct! The book is confusing. I found it was good to read it once straight through, then I've re-read certain chapters of the book over and over.
The fruit thing is to avoid stomach upset. Because fruit can ferment in your stomach the recommend eating it on an empty stomach or 2 hours after a meal. I eat it whenever cause it doesn't bother me.
The more you need to lose it the easier it seems to come off. I lost like 3 pounds a week for a while. My pound losing has slowed down but I've been losing inches so I'm happy. Everyone is different.

woodfrogs
Good for you! You Ex-Atkins chicks are doing fab!

beachfan
I hope your migraine goes quickly. I know how painful they can be

LadyV
Way to go on passing up the candy bar! One day at a time!

Pancho
My dh made a big ole bowl last night too. Popped corn is ok once in a while.

BOB
I quit smoking after about 15 years. It's been 4 years and I LOVE not being a smoker! It's like being let out of prision!
My mom quite after about 40 years. She swears by this board
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/76750

The site has some great info
http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/intro.htm
Old 07-24-2003, 10:46 PM   #74  

I just made the cobbler recipe from this board -- it is wonderful! I used blackberries, blueberries, peaches and apples and stone ground whole wheat flour and it is heavenly. I know what I'm having for breakfast tommorrow! Just wanted to share and encourage everyone to try this awesome recipe!
Old 07-25-2003, 12:22 AM   #75  

Hi Everyone

This will just be a quickie. I forgot to post my lunch yesterday so here's what I had: 2 cups of mixed veggies stir fried with an onion and cumin seed and a 6 oz. turkey breast. To-day I had a can of kippers, about 6 oz, with cucumber in vinegar. I usually have more veggies but was in a rush to-day after getting up late. And it was about 2.30 before I ate lunch. For dinner tonite I had beef stroganoff - bought precooked - with egg noodles and green peas. Had cooked apricots, prunes and almonds with my breakfast this morning. I had this with couscous. I just soaked 1/4 cup of couscous in about 6-7 oz of boiled milk. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes then it is ready to eat. I assume this is legal. I did look for whole wheat couscous but have not been able to find any. Anyway it makes a change from my usual oatmeal or oatbran.

Monet - Hope you get a good sleep tonite and feel perked up in the morning. Those early mornings can certainly do a number on you, particularly when you aren't used to being up and out so early.

Heartmom - Sorry to hear about your weight gain. I know how hard it is to stay op while away. But I am sure once you get back op those pounds will fall off. If you are feeling hungry all the time maybe you are eating too many high glycemic starchy carbs. If you can concentrate on trying to eat more low glycemic foods, like veggies, fruit and beans/peas/lentils etc maybe that would help to curb your appetite. JMHO.

Ghostdean - Glad you liked the cobbler. That sounds like a delicious fruit combination. Yum yum.

Sorry I can't respond to you all at this time. I really should be getting some shuteye. I have to be up early in the morning as I am going to the casino. Don't plan on spending much money but the bus ride and buffet lunch is free so I can afford to spend a little.

Goodnite all.

Marie.
Closed Thread