Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: In a typical week, how much do you usually participate on the SB BOARDS?
This is my first time here. 3 10.34%
I'm a lurker but hope to join in with you all soon! 1 3.45%
I have never posted, but I come on to read the board when I can. 2 6.90%
I only post a message once in a while, but I read the board daily. 2 6.90%
I post at least once a week. 3 10.34%
I post a couple times a week. 9 31.03%
I post at least once a day. 3 10.34%
I'm on the board a couple times a day. 0 0%
I seem to live on this board!!!! 3 10.34%
I use to be active on this board, and miss it, so I still come to see how you are all doing. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 06:18 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Exclamation

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIP & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FACTS

Please visit our NEWEST BIO BOARD where you can learn more about everyone who is on this board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...4143#post34143

Please make sure you post your BIO on the NEWEST VERSION of our BIO BOARD everyone!!!!

Our MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4770

We have FIVE INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often-make sure to visit our newest board, MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS at the link below:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2342

THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2344

THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2365[/url

MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2359

and our newest board MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=5005

We also now have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=5450

WANT TO POST YOUR WEEKLY WEIGHT LOSS INFO and BE COUNTED in our weekly totals of pounds lost?? Go to the WEEKLY WEIGH IN BOARD BELOW to post your stats!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=5451

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit NEW REPLY NOT NEW THREAD then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. Also, when the board gets to the 2nd & 3rd page, sometimes it may take a little longer for your message to appear, you can refresh your browser, or wait, but it will show up! If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!
Old 05-21-2001, 07:23 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Just a quickie for now, getting ready to go for my walk, but wanted to get in my MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY contribution,, which is:

BUILDING BLOCKS

The substance of success is deceptively easy. It comes in the small, seemingly insignificant moments. When those moments are combined and directed toward a goal, success is achieved.

The fundamental essence of achievement is available to anyone. It doesn't usually require great strength or great intelligence or extraordinary skill. The most magnificent achievements spring from the most ordinary moments, when all those moments are directed toward the achievement.

Over the next few hours, you will face numerous decisions. The vast majority of these decisions will seem trivial. Yet when you consistently make decisions in a focused and intentional manner, fully aware of their combined consequences, those small, easy actions can lead to great and lasting success at anything you choose to pursue.

The moments of your life are the fundamental building blocks of success and achievement. Each one is easy to manipulate. Each one is important. Put them all together in just the right way, and you'll build something great.

-- Ralph Marston

I'll check in with you all later! Have a wonderful week.

Debbie
194/131/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-21-2001, 08:35 AM   #3  

What do you expect?
When you expect good things to happen you'll find the good in whatever happens. Expect to have a productive day and you'll do whatever it takes to make the day productive.
Most circumstances are inherently neither good nor bad. They are mostly what you make of them. When you're determined to achieve, the circumstances will work in your favor because you'll find a way to make them work in your favor.

Are you waiting for a reason to be positive? Here's a reason. Be positive, and expect great things for yourself, because it will bring richness and fulfillment to your life. When the circumstances seem to be working against you, that's even more reason to be positive, because it will enable you to turn those circumstances in your favor.

You'll get what you truly expect. So why would you ever want to expect anything less that the very best?

-- Ralph Marston

I will be MIA for most of the week as this is our final week at work before we convert to SACS. This system is entirely new in Accounting, but a state requirement. In addition, we are also implementing a new environment to work from. Needless to say, any extra curricular activities are going to be minimal. I am going to try to keep up with you during my lunch hour.

Hope all is well, Nance welcome home. Email me directly if you need me.

Lara
Old 05-21-2001, 09:02 AM   #4  

"It is one of the strange ironies of this strange
life that those who work the hardest, who
subject themselves to the strickest discipline,
who give up certain pleasurable things in order
to achieve a goal, are the happiest people.
When you see 20 or 30 people line up for a
distance race in some meet, don't pity them,
don't feel sorry for them. Better envy
them instead."
--Brutus Hamilton

Yesterday, I made it through a whole day OP. Yeah! What a great way to start the week! This is my new mantra, "Take it one step at a time, (in my case a step is one meal)!

I have been so busy that I just ralized that we are 9 days and counting until the last day of school!!! I can make it!!!

Hope all of you have a great "Motivational Monday".
Old 05-21-2001, 09:37 AM   #5  
Little Engine That Could

Well, I've had an exhausting weekend. I left here Thursday noon and was stretched physically and mentally for the last 3.5 days. We had a great event, with good speakers and a positive response from the event attenders. I didn't much physical exercise in. Basically it was just getting up early (6:30) and getting to bed late (1:00). And getting to sleep even later. I hardly had time to eat, and what I did eat I did not even worry about whether it was OP or not. Basically it was just to get some food in me so my stomach wouldn't growl. As I think back, most of the food probably was not SB legal. Veggies were peas and carrots. We did have salads, but small and plain. Lettuce and a couple of tomato pieces. I spoke right after lunch at one of our sessions and so lunch was delivered to me to eat after the session. Cold sliced "reformed" turkey with cold hard dressing. Cold potatoes, canned gravy, peas and carrots again and a dinner roll. Key lime pie. I ate a few bites of cold peas and carrots and some pie! Yum. LOL

But now I'm back with no huge project in front of me and I can move health matters (eating OP) back up the priority list. This morning already: 25 oz. H2O and low GI pancakes with an orange and some strawberries on it. I tend to eat too few calories if I don't count them. So I think I'm gonna have to be counting. I've said before that I hate to count calories, but it has worked in the past.

SolShine, how are you doing with keeping up with what you are eating, as they suggested at Fitness Coach? What they suggested re. calories worked very well for me about 7 years ago, when I was eating very healthily. I got down to 120 lbs. and because I was working with the weights, I also looked really good. No drooping butt or flabby legs, etc. I basically was eating SB, but didn't know it at the time because I had never heard of SB. I just had to keep up with the calories. When I reached my goal then, I just did like most DIETS--and went back to eating the old bad way.

I'm still working at getting my e-mail all set up with my new address. I now have a web page--only for the purpose of getting e-mail at the address I want. Go to MacGator.com and check it out. Especially all you SEC fans. Pause and meditate on what you see and your day will be truly enriched!!! A friend set this up for me. I won't every have a web site like Chris (**** on Wheels) or some of you others.

I notice that there are a lot of lurkers on our board. Good poll question. I wonder if the lurkers will even "vote". Hope so. When I saw that there were 24 "hits" for this weeks board, I was surprised to see only 3 actual posts.

Hope y'all have a great SB day.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:48 AM   #6  
viv

Default I'm back!

Ok Ladies, I'm back.

Surgery went by the book, which to me is amazing for an 80 year old man. I don't know if I should credit my dad or the surgeon! UCSF is an incredible hospital and the care he is receiving is top notch. Recovery is tough, initially the pain was searing and then he became psychotic from all the meds....and then ornery as h*ll! I'm glad I went and my mom and I did get to enjoy SF a bit. I'd been there several times before, but I have to say, as pretty and fun as it is, too darn many hills!

Weight wise, I was down to 133 right before I left, and now seem to be at 135. So that's a loss of two since we returned from Disney. Now it's totally OP again - big birthday party to attend in early July, would like to be in the 120s by then. Wonder if I can make it?

I got to Trader Joe's in SFO and really enjoyed it, plus picked up a few prepackaged lentil type meals which are low sugar (no sugar!) and I think those will be great for work. I'm going to try them out this week and if I like them, I can justify the 4 hour round trip to Trader Joe's in Fairfield county.

So what's new with everyone around here?
Kim - how are ya?
Deb - now I will have to try the Tomato Splash, I'll remember it whenever I get back.

More later, wanted to thank those of you who wished me and my Dad wel. BTW American Airlines did a great job with my endless flights - the difference in legroom helped a lot!

Viv
Simsbury, CT
146/135/128
Started Feb 01
Old 05-21-2001, 10:17 AM   #7  

Default Hello Everyone!

Did anyone miss me? I had not been able to post for the past week or so. Not even time to really read any posts much. Did scan them briefly. Was a REALLY BAD WEEK. Worked some OT. Ended up my work week with a visit to ER after I tripped over a co-worker's foot & took about a 10 ft dive into the wall, hit my head & landed on my hip. Still hurts. All of this happened in front of the nursing staff during report time & the doctor sitting there dictating. I was sooooo embarrassed. But thank God nothing broken.

I'm off today & tomorrow, so I'll be back in the swing of things by Wednesday.

Have stayed OP & the scale is still going down. I am sooooooo close to my mini goal I can taste it!! Vacation is less than 2 weeks away, so I am sure that I will make goal the way it's going. Going shopping for new clothes today & meet DH for lunch.

Need to start packing. We leave for New Smyrna Beach, FL on June 1st!!! Can't wait. One whole week at the beach.

Well, I'd better get moving...just wanted to check in & let you all know that I have not forgotten you & still hanging in there.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:49 AM   #8  

I'm back! Thought I'd get in a quick post before heading out today. Lauren's teacher asked me to come in during lunch to sell tickets for a play the drama class is doing Thursday night, so I'm going to head out to her school in a little while.

I got my 4.5 miles in today. I did 11 short bursts of jogging and found myself being faster than when I did less and longer ones. I did the 4.5 miles in 56.15 minutes-how in the world I ever did my best time just walking, I'll never know. Maybe the heat makes you go slower-it's so hot out there, even at 7:30am!

NANCE, glad to have you back. Sounds like you had a great weekend-gosh how I'd love to have some of that cool weather down here! Hopefully, if you make that cake, you'll have better self control with it than I did!!!

LDBLOND, thanks for that motivational thought-you can spend hours on RM's site, can't you?!? Hope your transition at work goes smoothly!

ICESKATE, great motivational thought! Thanks for posting it! Congrats on staying OP for the day, keep repeating your mantra Our kids down here don't get out of school until the 13th of June, so I've got a little while before I have to start worrying what I'm going to do with them.

GATOR, the poll will be interesting to see when the week is at end, I'd love for those who lurk to vote-I think they have to be registered, but I'm not sure. I'll check out your webpage!

VIV, WELCOME BACK!!!! So happy to hear the surgery was a success! Is your Dad back at home yet? Glad to know you are back OP. You can definitely make your goal by July if you stay OP 100%-remember what you were able to accomplish before your FL trip! If I had a TJ's within 4 hours from my house, I'd surely make it a habit of going once a month. I'd take a huge cooler-their frozen foods are wonderful and I can NEVER buy them since I live so far from one. Next time you go, let me know and I'll send you "my favorite TJ's" list

MELF, of course we missed you!!! I can sympathize with your nice trip you had, I hit my head 2 Saturdays ago with the car door, and Michael tripped and fell Thursday night and we ended up at the ER for his foot-so putting us together reminds me of your mishap. Hope your hip feels better soon So, to Florida you are coming? I hope you have a wonderful time in the Sunshine State and have great weather! It's brutally hot down here, at least it is in Miami, so no sweaters needed!

Well gals, I'm outta here for a few hours. I'll check in with you all later.

TOODLES!

Debbie
194/131/129
SB since 3/22/00

Last edited by Debelli; 05-21-2001 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:50 AM   #9  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Good Morning Everyone!

Hope all is well, and everyone is rested, ready to start a new week!

Again, I am motivational mondayless.....no words of wisdom, as I am trying to soak in all the wisdom that has been posted.

When I think of motivation, I wonder what motivates most people. Some are motivated by negative, some are motivated by positive, some have their own inner strength. I couldn't ever quite figure out what personally motivates me, otherwise I probably would have started this WOE a long time ago. I think I usually respond when I feel like someone really cares about me. Sometimes that can inspire me...or when I see someone else have passion for what they are doing, that can be very inspiring.

I wonder how many of us are doing what we really want to be doing in our lives. How many of us had dreams of becoming something when we were growing up and ended up doing something completely different.
If we all had a script of what our lives were going to be like, would we be happy with our story? I think the most powerful tool we have, is the power to change. I read a quote out of a magazine this weekend and it really got me thinking:

Whatever you fear most has no power-it is your fear that has the power

I guess that is why they say "your mind is a powerful thing". What would we do, if we had no fear. WHat would we want to accomplish? When I had asked if anyone had a fear of loosing weight, there were several responses. What does loosing body weight represent?
A change...and it's definately a change for the better. We all know that, yet many of us struggle. I think there is a reason why most of us are overweight, and it has to do with our self-worth, self-esteem. It has to do with loving ourselves enough to make a change. Putting ourselves first for a change. Taking control of our lives.
For the longest time I thought loosing weight was for everyone else. I couldn't even identify with people who had once been overweight, and were now skinny because I thought they were now "one of them", a thin person. Whatever issues I have to deal with on this journey, I feel that I am now in a much safer place, a place where I can share these odd fears, and move forward with the support of this awesome group. I know it's not going to be easy, temptation is always there, but each day is a new fresh start.
Old 05-21-2001, 11:52 AM   #10  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Well, I found a recipe for healthy Oatmeal Raisin cookies sweetened with applesauce on the Quaker Oats web site. Vince made them and they were sufficiently bland, but, of course, our friends thought they were wonderful! They had made an equally bland bunt cake using carrot pulp. We had fun tromping through the woods though. Found what would be some cool “forts” if we were kids again and going to be “hanging out” in the woods. The pond was mostly dried up. How sad! That’s how freakin’ dry it is down here. We had to smell forest fire smoke halfway to the country because of the fires down near Disney. Terribly uncomfortable breathing.

Wendell worked my butt off this morning on the weights! We started with calf raises on this little wooden block. I stretch my calves a lot and do calf raises on the curb sometimes, but they want you to go really slow and this morning my calves were burning like those fires. He pushed me so hard I’m kinda concerned about not working hard enough when I’m on my own. I’ve only got 4 more 1 on 1 sessions left and I know I would’ve talked myself out of pushing as hard as he had me go.

We went to see Blow this week-end. It’s very good. I perfect illustration of the choices we make and the consequences of those choices as mentioned in Debbie’s quote from Ralph Marston today. What makes it that much more interesting is it’s based on a true story. We also watched “Men of Honor” another true story with much better decisions and consequences.

I’ve noticed the past few days that I’m always wanting to yawn or at least get that great big gasp of air like at the end of a yawn. Does this happen to anyone else? Anyone know why that might be or what to do about it? Just breathing deeply doesn’t seem to do it for me.

DEBBIE – Dontcha just love hanging out in the ER?? I hope Michael’s ankle heals quickly. Loved the quote from Ralph Marston. I must make this famous sponge cake!! Is the recipe out on the threads?

BOB - OOOOOHHHH!! We call that guy at our workplace the “Network ****”. He monitors everyone’s internet usage and blocks outside e-mail sites and porn. He most likely went to 3FC and KNEW that it wasn’t porn. NOW, we DID have 2 guys from here fired for looking at “older, fat ladies porn sites”. One of the guys was only about 21 years old, too. (Being in the IS Dept. I get more gossip than I really need sometimes). I’m sure with your work-ethic they know that you weren’t abusing the privilege. You sure do have a way with words, though!! LOL!! If your Network **** WANTS some sites like that, just let me know…… Sorry you’ve had an especially challenging week. Whine all you want on here – that’s what we’re here for! You’re on the wagon and that weight will come back off! I’ve been reading “The Schwarzbein Principle” and it is a very nice supplement to the SB book – she explains the medical/scientific stuff behind this WOE and has lots of great information. I hope your trip includes lots of R&R!! We’ll certainly miss you while you’re gone!

FROG – How’d it go with the MIL??? Did she give up and shut up? MIL and Spewer in one week – You’re a brave woman!

MARIE – What’s the countdown to England? I hope your grandson’s wrist heals quickly.

AUNT LOLLIE – sounds like a fun place to be!! Have fun with your nieces! I’m sure you’ll have great reports from your well-woman exam. I hate having those done, but I most especially hate the squishing. Liked the quote!! It’s sooo true.

ICESKATEFAN – MMMmmmm your rib enchiladas sounds yummy!! I started my herb garden and this week-end made some pico de gallo with fresh onion, tomato, jalapanos, cilantro and lemon juice. May have to add the black beans next time. SB WOE is definitely not a ‘diet’ – as in something you do for a little while to reach a goal. It’s a lifestyle – a healthy way of eating to stay healthy and avoid health problems, premature aging, etc. I think you’ll be glad you stayed with it later on. I bring my lunch every day. I’m a grazer so I eat every few hours at work. I bring those portable little packages of cottage cheese to have with a piece of fruit mid-morning – salad with bagged Triscuits for lunch – nuts, fruit or more Triscuits for mid-afternoon. I buy the 2 lb. bags of frozen chicken tenderloins and spray my non-stick pan with some PAM, put a few tenderloins in (you don’t have to thaw them ) , sprinkle some Tony Cachere’s seasoning on them and have Chicken Caesar Salad, Chicken Sandwich, Chicken Salad, or just plain chicken tenderloin strips with a bowl of soup. These can cook while I’m getting ready in the morning or fixing my breakfast. It’s quick, easy, versatile – my kind of cooking! (I also still eat PB&J’s from time to time) My office is usually cold enough for cryogenic experiments so I don’t have to worry about putting things in the refrigerator.

CHERI – Good to hear from you! Thanks for checking in with us!

SPARKLE – LOL!!! I don’t want to start seeing Hair Wax on your list of lunch suggestions for ICESKATEFAN! I wanted to make my hair a darker auburn color once, well, it turned out that black/plum color those gothic babes wear. Next to my whitey-white skin I did look gothic! Sooooooo, I called Miss Clairol’s 1-800 line and they told me how to lighten it, but I left the stuff on too long and it turned into a pumpkin color…..SOOOOOoooooo another call to Clairol ……… I finally got it right, but by then my scalp was sooo tender and sore I didn’t want to take a shower again. My scalp started peeling and it was rough for a few days, but the color turned out so good I got so many compliments on it. It’s a shame they don’t bottle THAT color. Can’t wait to hear about your date!

NANCEMEISTER – Welcome back!! Glad you had a good time and your planned food worked out well. I treat myself to 1 soft drink a day (usually lunch), but lately I’ve noticed it’s almost too sweet and I don’t usually drink the whole thing anymore. (Can’t believe I’m saying something is too sweet!!!) You always ask the most provoking questions. Always stirring up something, aren’t you?? My life is NOTHING like what I planned way back when, and I didn’t always have the best time getting here, but I’m perfectly content with where I am and where I’m headed now and wouldn’t change that for the world. Am I glad to be overweight? NO! Am I working on it? YES! Will getting upset about it help? NO! So, I have the attitude that this is where I am and I’m working on getting to where I want to be and I’m going to enjoy each day on the journey realizing, too, that I’m not perfect and will have some bad days thrown in there (Momma promised we’d have them, remember?).

VIV – Welcome back!! Glad things went by the book!

GATORGAL – I love going to The Fitness Coach! Thank you!!!! I started with their plan, but had to move things around so much I was going to make my own forms like theirs, just blank so I could add things in, but I haven’t done it yet. I was counting calories, but didn’t do it this week-end. I need to get back to doing that. I’m darn serious about getting my weight down. I’ll check out the website – Hope there is a huge picture of an MSU BullDawg on there!!

MELF – Thanks for checking in with us. Glad to hear things are going well with the eating – Sorry to hear about your run in with the wall. Glad you weren’t hurt physically. Sometimes that wounded ego hurts just as bad, though. Bring lots of lightweight clothes!! It’s HOT down here!! And, if you go to Canaveral Seashore be careful, part of that is a Nudie beach!
Old 05-21-2001, 04:17 PM   #11  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default Time Management

This seemed "timely" for us gals!

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When class began, wordlessly, he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks; rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So, the professor then picked up a box of pebbles, and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open area between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. The students laughed.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

"Now," said the professor, " I want you to recognize that this is your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, and your children -- anything that is so important to you that if it were lost, you would be devastated. The pebbles are the other things that matter, like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else . . . the small stuff."

He continued, "If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for life. If you spend all your energy and time on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical check-ups. Take your partner out dancing. There will be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party, and fix the disposal.

Take care of the rocks first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
Old 05-21-2001, 06:11 PM   #12  
Everyday angel

Default Motivational article

It's Mind Over Matter - And Your Body's the Matter!
--by John Abdo © FitnessLink. May not be reprinted without permission.

Getting, and staying, motivated about a fitness lifestyle is a wrestling match every fitness enthusiast experiences at one time or another. Even world-class athletes lose their focus from time to time and struggle to keep themselves "mentally" on track. But don't think about throwing in the towel just yet. There are plenty of proven solutions, and they're easier than you think!

My chief role as a fitness consultant doesn't only include instructing exercise sessions. I must also integrate a variety of motivational, or mind conditioning, tools which inspire, educate and move each of my students into productive and enjoyable workouts that yield incredible results. Over the years, I've learned how to use these tools to train my students' minds so that they can train their bodies.

It should come as no surprise that there really is such a thing as the "mind-body connection" - the psychophysiological mechanism that acts as the driving force behind all voluntary and involuntary actions of the body. When the mind is conditioned - possessing the motivational power and knowledge that enables one to enthusiastically and confidently approach their exercise and eating programs - the body responds over time by manifesting its genetic potential. I refer to this as a re-engineering process.

In my book, Body Engineering, I reveal many of the techniques that can help you become your own body engineer. I'd like to share one of the exercises here, so grab a pen and paper because you're going back to school, and I'm your new teacher!

Complete the following exercise step-by-step, in the exact order listed below.

STEP 1: The first thing you must do is understand that it's imperative to train your brain so that you can train your body. A weak mind will equal a weak body, but a strong mind will build a healthy, lean and vibrant body. Once you understand this key principle you are well on your way to re-engineering the way you look and feel.

STEP 2: Every day - did you hear me? I said every day - you must write your goals on a piece of paper. If you have one goal ("I want to lose 4 inches off my waist"), write that one down. If you have several goals, commit all of them to paper on a daily basis. Something magical happens when the brain generates a thought and the body records it onto paper. This exercise converts a hermit lodged in your brain into a jet-set traveler who takes residence in all the tissues of your body.

STEP 3: After you write your goals down, read them out loud - every day. Again, there's a phenomenon that occurs when you profess what you want. Simply wishing a goal in silence has no stimulating power. Stand up in front of a mirror, assume the role of your own coach or motivator, and say with conviction, "You are going to keep exercising to lose this fat and, you know what young lady?, you're making progress every day!"

STEP 4: How willing are you? Make two lists: A) All of the things you need to do to achieve your goals; and B) All of the things you must avoid to achieve your goals. For example: A) I need to take advantage of my health club membership, walk every morning, etc.; and B) I need to cut out sugar, quit having dessert late at night, etc.

STEP 5: Make a date with yourself. Treat yourself once a week. Follow your fitness program as strictly as you can all week, but reward yourself on a weekly basis so that you do not feel deprived.

STEP 6: Seek wise advice from a personal trainer or other health/fitness authority who can properly assess your current status and guide you throughout your re-engineering process.

STEP 7: Don't get discouraged. This will only prevent you from getting back on track. Everybody - even the pro's - slip off track at times. As long as you become steadfast, always getting yourself back on track after being derailed, pat yourself on the back, lift your chin, and go for it all over again.

Let me conclude by saying that investing in yourself pays huge dividends down the road. Put it in your head first then watch your body mold into the image in your mind.

--John Abdo is a professor of fitness training, author of Body Engineering, and inventor of The AB-DOer (www.abdoer.com).
March 2000
Old 05-21-2001, 06:41 PM   #13  

Hi I am new here and would like to join you. I have been put on the Sugar Busters Diet by my doctor. I am 34 years old and I am desperately trying to conceive our first child via IVF. I have recently found out I have PCOS and that I am insulin resistant. I am taking gloucophage and hoping with the meds and the new eating habits I can finally shed some weight and just start feeling better in general. My RE (Infertility Doctor) wants me to lose 25lbs in 6 weeks. I think this is unrealistic.

Today is my first day on this new way of eating and so far so good I think. I went to Vegas this weekend so I didn't think that was a good time to start I saw above that someone had pancakes. Is this by using WW Flour? This is going to take some time to get use to I guess.

I would love any hints, tips or anything to keep me on track. My favorite food is potatoes and pasta.
Old 05-21-2001, 06:49 PM   #14  
Everyday angel

Default Another one

How your healthy self body image can help you lose weight

The term "losing weight" seems to usually have negative connotations. A lot of times when people think of "losing weight," they think of people starving themselves, never eating any "junk food" or eating anything "tasty" again, eating only vegetables and exercising six hours a day.

However, it doesn't have to be like that. There are ways in which a person can lose weight and not go overboard. After all, everything in moderation. You should not go on a diet, severely limiting your intake of food. You should change your eating habits, forever. You should never restrict your eating so much that you could not do it forever. If you do, you are just setting yourself up to regain the weight back, since you already know that you can not keep up the restricted intake forever.

One great way to lose weight is to exercise and eat healthy NOT for the sake of losing weight. If a person just eats healthy and exercises just for the reason of being healthy, she is a lot more likely to lose weight than if she is doing so with the intent of losing twenty pounds. If a person is exercising and eating healthy and dieting to lose weight, there will (hopefully) come a time when they have reached their goal weight. What do they do after they reach their goal weight? They never intended to always exercise so much and eat so little FOREVER! Unfortunately, what happens a lot of times when people diet and go crazy with exercise is that either they can't keep it up, or once they reach their goal weight, they go back to their old exercising and dieting habits and gain back all the weight that they had lost, maybe more.

Don't be a victim to this trap! First of all, even if you are overweight, realize that you are beautiful!! Wear outfits that really flatter you, do your makeup and hair- see yourself as beautiful! Once you realize that you are beautiful even with a little excess weight and you think to yourself, "Even if I always weighed this weight, I'd still think I look good," you are on your way!! If you can seriously say that to yourself, then you are already halfway there.

Once you do have that kind of self-esteem, you are more than likely going to WANT to exercise, because people with high self-esteem think highly of themselves, respect themselves, want themselves to be healthy, and want to take care of themselves! Well, one way to take care of yourself is to eat healthy and exercise! If you do really have high self-esteem, you will want your body to be healthy. Remember, don't exercise to lose weight- exercise because you want to have a healthy body! Read up on all the books and ask your doctor what the health benefits of exercising are to you-- if you have high self-esteem, you want to do what is right for your body- you respect your body!

Again, everything should be in moderation. And start SLOW! If you have not exercised in months or even years, do not try to run ten miles on the treadmill the first day at the gym! Start slow, because any exercise is better than none! You have your whole life to work up to exercising harder and faster and longer. The key to exercise when it comes to lose weight (or just for health reasons) is consistency anyhow. Maybe you could start with just three times a week, for about 20 minutes each time, maybe just walking on the treadmill at a moderate speed. If you start too fast, you probably won't keep up with it (you will think that you will not be able to handle this daily, as it may be too tiring), and then usually, that is when people give up. Also, if you start too fast, and do too much too soon, you could seriously injure yourself, and if that happens, then you will not be able to be consistent and keep up with your exercise program!

Start slow, and work up to more. Maybe just add 5 minutes every week to your work out, or add an extra day or two.

As for your diet, you also do want to start slow with this. If you start your first day with absolutely no sweets at all, and you are used to eating many sweets, you are probably going to feel deprived and want to give up, and binge on junk food the next day, or maybe even the same day! All deserts aren't even, they can be satisfying, just make sure that you limit yourself. Maybe just let yourself have one or two deserts a week. Learn about the food pyramid and what acceptable servings and portions are. Load up on vegetables and fruits.

Just remember, everything in moderation, and you can use your healthy self-image to lose weight!

Written by Ariane Seifert
Old 05-21-2001, 07:19 PM   #15  

Evening Everyone!

NANCE, SOL & SPARKLE, thanks for those motivational thoughts you posted-we sure have been busy beavers looking for things to post today, haven't we!!! NANCE, how can you say you were Motivational Mondayless??? SPARKLE, 2 things in one day-just like you to over due it! LOL!!!! SOL, not only your mind got a work out, but your body too!!

SOL, yes, the WW SPONGE CAKE is on the MAY RECIPE BOARD. I'm planning on actually trying to make it all by myself tonight. If you see smoke coming up from the south, it may not be a brush fire! Let me know if you do make it! Sounds like you had a fun weekend, despite the bland foods I'm checking out a few new cookies recipes and will let you and the others know when I find a new one I think is worth sharing.

TIGGERME, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! Glad you've joined us and thanks for posting your BIO on the BIO BOARD!!! We'll be more than happy to help you out in any way we can. Please make sure you check out the informative boards that we have, there's lots of great information on them, as well as the recipe boards. The links to the boards are in the very first post at the top of this page. I would have to tend to agree with you that your Dr.s expectations are far fetched-he must have no clue on losing weight! What's the significance in you losing that much weight in such a short period of time? Tell him you can do your best, but what he expects from you is a bit far fetched. You can lose weight following SB, but I haven't seen anyone lose 25lbs that fast. The recipe for those pancakes mentioned are on the May 2000 board from last year, the very first recipe posted. They aren't made with WW flour, but there are other pancake recipes on the board that are made with WW flour. Potatoes and pasta, well, sweet potatoes are fine, in moderation and same goes with pasta, as long as it's WW. Again don't hesitate to ask us any questions along the way-we're more than happy to help!! Again, WELCOME!

Okay, I'm off to the kitchen to attempt this sponge cake on my own! Wish me luck everyone!!!!!

Debbie
194/131/129
SB since 3/22/00
Closed Thread