Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #31  

Hi Everyone

I just finished lunch and this is what I had to-day: I fried up an onion then added a cut up smoked sausage and fried that up for a few minutes and then added two cups of mixed veggies(green beans, peas, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower). I seasoned it with black pepper and cumin seed. Yum yum. Also had two small plums.

Gator - Your lunch yesterday sounded yummy. It made me hungry just reading what you had. Sorry to hear that your df is still in the hospital. Hope that surgery can be avoided.

BOB - How did you get on at your doctor's appointment yesterday? Hope everything is o.k. with you.

Toni - Good that you have made it through your first week back on sb. As you said we just have to take it one day at a time.

Beachfan - Thanks for sharing your thoughts about sb with us. I think it is up to us all to learn as much about the glycemic index as we can. It's an ongoing learning process and each of us has to find what works for us.

Jack-K - Sorry to hear that you hurt your butt jogging this morning. Hope it is feeling better by the time you read this. I managed to see half of my gd's soccer game yesterday. Before they started on the second half it started to rain then there was thunder and lightning so the game had to be suspended. O well maybe I will get to see her another time. BTW I went back to the store and bought that jacket this morning - and got the smaller size (14). I don't know why I thought it was too small the other day. It fits fine and I haven't lost any since last week.

LadyVatrovia - I had to stop buying triscuits because once I start on them I can't keep my hand out of the box. Now if I want an afternoon snack I usually have some type of crispbread with cream cheese and fruit spread. At least I am satisfied with two or three of them.

Pancho - Sounds like you were in for a busy day to-day. Let us know how those recipes turn out if you try them. They both sound interesting.

Have a good day everyone.

Marie.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:18 PM   #32  

Just a quick note to let you all know I am still alive and kicking. Work is wiping me out this week! I am having a hard time getting to bed early enough to deal with getting up at five, and so I come home and all I want to do is sleep.

Eating has not been too good for me the last few days. I started with a few little cheats and it has gotten out of hand. They were sampling the ice cream cakes at work ,and I had several LARGE samples. That got the sugar monster awake and screaming. I need to get back OP tight, fast!

Tomorrow I am fixing dinner for my small group. I am going to make sushi, but I will try to make a good bit of it with my brown sushi rice.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Quick Note:

Don't forget chat is tonight. Don't know if I'll make, but will try.

Semo, I think you need to add more veggies. They will help fill you up. Tomotoes are considered veggies.

Lady, off Hurstbourne Lane, around Meijers.

Pancho, I'm gonna have to look up the cookbook.

monet, come on girl, you can do this. Don't let that stress get to you.

Rosalie, what a shame about the ball game. Maybe next time.

Got to run get a pedicure.

Good luck on WIW to everyone.

Jackie
Old 07-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #34  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

OH MY GAWD JACKIE....You're just "around the corner" from Cathy...we go over there to shop all the time...LOVE THAT FASHION SHOP!!! I didn't realize you were that close to her.
She's off OLD HENRY...in Woodmont....

WELL...the Dr visit was interesting...I'm going to just copy to you what I wrote to the family last night...

Went to the Dr this morning and here's what he told me.
I have a C6 & 7 Radiculopathy..ie: pinched nerve with numbness. Surgery is not necessary right now and usually this problem will work its self out without it. Thanks goodness my Doc is not knife happy! He said in six months time, we will know it that will even be an option.
I'm to keep taking my "medication" as directed and come back in a month, then another month, then six months...then we'll decide.
He's more concerned with the "buldging disc" in the cervical region on the left side. According to the neuro radiologist
(one of the tops in his field) I am at risk for myelo......ism....iosis.....(can't pronounce it little lone spell it!) in the future which will cause neurological damage to my gait....weakness in my legs and arms causing me to eventually stand with my feet further apart every day to keep my balance. Surgery WILL be the option on this when the time comes. It's now causing strain on my spinal cord, but not enough for me to have problems with it yet. If and when surgery is done, he would remove the disc, do a bone graft and a plate to correct the problem.OUCH!!!

There you have it...it's not pretty, but at least now I know!

I've got to run...I'll check in later...

BOB
Old 07-22-2003, 06:10 PM   #35  
LadyV

Height: 5'0"

WOW!! I just had my first WW spaghetti! I can't believe it! It was so good!!!! I may of eaten a bit more than the 1 cup allowed but I am learning....this is such a find to me! I am only 1/2 Lumbee/cherokee LOL the "other" 1/2 is Italian and I live for my sauce!!!! I can't believe I can now have Spaghetti!!!!
::::::::dancing around in circles:::::::
Old 07-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #36  
sef

HiedieHo All!

I am a good girl I am! Have stayed OP and all is well. Lunch the last 2 days has been a huge mixed salad with shredded cheese & crumbled bacon& a little dressing.

Finished the baby sampler. Was busy today and didn't get it framed, but did was and iron it. First thing in morning I will finish the job. Want to give it to Gigi Thursday.

Did get in pool for my exercise.

GATOR: Hope your DF is better soon.

BOB: You don't sdo things halfway do you?!? I hate it when they say it will resolve itself in time. During the time, you HURT! Good thoughts for you.

Take care Shirley
Old 07-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #37  
Little Engine That Could

Thanks for all the good wishes for my DF. As for what I think, I have a fear that the doctors will kill him. He lives in a small town, with a small hospital, and so far, it seems to me, they are just guessing a lot of the time. I hope he has truly become a member of God's adopted family, because he may soon be standing before the Lord explaining why he should be allowed into heaven. I'm hoping he makes it to his 90th birthday, but I'm afraid he won't make it to his 87th.

For lunch today:
One grilled cheese/bacon/tomato/onion sandwich--made with
a thin slice of WW bread toasted and topped with some thin slices of Vidalia onion (yum, so sweet), tomato slices, one oz. cheddar cheese, and one slice bacon, partially cooked and cut in half. This was cooked in a hot oven till the cheese got bubbly and melty and the bacon crisped. Very good. I also had a green salad and part of a fresh peach.

Breakfast: one scrambled egg and a protein powder-strawberry smoothie

Mid afternoon snack--4 oz meat patty of "health food" beef (ultra low fat, no hormones, antibiotics, etc) and 12 cherries.

Dinner: Homemade clam sauce over zucchini "spaghetti" and BOB's pole beans.

This was about 1060 calories. If I get hungry later I will have a wedge of canteloupe.

Regarding Sugar Busters and my lifestyle--I have been SBing for about 2-3 years and have struggled greatly, losing a pound here and there and then putting it back on. I have recently discovered I have a problem with my thyroid--I'm hypothyroid--which makes losing weight almost impossible. So I'm now on a thyroid med to help alleviate my problems in this area. I also recently corresponded with Rissa (Pretty Impressive Stuff) and was inspired by her e-mail regarding her situation to start counting calories again. This is something I HATE to do because it puts mealtime in the realm of an accounting regimen. But--I decided to weigh this morning and was down 2 pounds!! So that is some motivation, and perhaps evidence that I must be very strict with SB and also keep my calories down lower than I was, although I had not been counting. I aim for about 1100-1200 per day. Hopefully, if I can ever get to maintenance I can move up to 1300-1500.

As for the food, I try to limit my starches as much as possible. I agree with Beach, high fiber (veggies!!) low sugar and plenty of protein to keep hunger away as much as possible. Just don't do an Adkins diet--too hard on your kidneys and you get sick of it. I DO try to have some whole grain every day so I have at least one piece of WW bread. Right now I am using Pepperidge Farm 100% Stoneground WW bread, and I slice it crosswise, making a very thin slice. That way I can have 2 "slices" of bread a day, when actually it is just one slice. I also sometimes have Toufyan WW pita bread. I love fruit, so I feel that with the low bread I can have a extra fruit. Today I had some strawberries, blackberries and a peach and possibly a melon wedge later. I have real food. I use real butter, real mayo (Dukes because it does not have added sugar) and real salad dressing that I make myself (vinagrette with E.V. olive oil, balsamic and red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and spices maybe). But, of course, the fat ups the calories, so I try to watch it. I use olive oil as my primary fat. I "cheat" on special occasions--like my anniversary coming up in Aug. My DH is taking me out for the weekend to one of the resort hotels near here and we will eat at a really nice restaurant the 2 nights we are there. But I will try to be sane. I normally don?t drink alcoholic beverages, but occasionally a glass of red wine, which I probably will have on my anniversary.
Today I substituted julienned zucchini for spaghetti so that I could keep the calories low, add more veggies and also keep the carbs low. Debbie would probably have a fit and tell me the calories are too low, but, for me, right now, to actually lose weight, I will need to stay around this range to make any headway. At least until my thyroid meds get adjusted right. I also occasionally will up the calories 100-200 to give my body a "rest" and a little "shock". So, strict SB and watching those calories will be my plan. Actually, the book talks about not letting the food go outside the main part of the plate, not converging onto the sides or rim of the dinner plate. I think that is the author's way of keeping the food portions reasonable and keeping those calories down. Just my take on it.

I did not walk today. I worked at the pregnancy center until 1:30 and then had to come right home to meet a repairman. Will get back on the street tomorrow, though.

I can't remember if I said this or not, but one thing I really learned from my visit with my father is that it is really important to get that exercise and keep those muscles strong. Flexibility and balance is really important, as I watched my father barely be able to walk because he had let himself become weak, hardly walking at all when he was at home. Actually, he did very little, as was also letting his brain suffer from lack of mental exercise. So I came back from FWB with a renewed resolve.

Three of the gold rim swallowtails have "hatched" out of their chrysalides. I did not get to see them because I was gone most of yesterday. I have 6 eastern black swallowtail chrysalides in my screen box and I expect that they will emerge any day now. I have not figured out yet how I am gonna get the butterflies out of the box and into the garden. I don't want to injure the little guys in transporting them. Maybe I will just open the front and take the whole box out there. I also have two tiny monarch caterpillars munching away on some milkweed in the same screen box, so I will, hopefully, get to watch the little fellows get big and fat and also turn into a butterfly. I have not yet taken pictures. I need to take my 35 mm camera out there because it is too hard to catch them with the digital. I've tried with no success. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Gotta go. If I have time I'll come to chat.

Last edited by GatorGal; 07-22-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #38  

Hi Everyone

Bob...Good news that you don't have to have surgery but I know getting through the pain is hard. I'm thinking about you.

Gator...so sorry to hear about your DF. My thoughts are with you. When a parent is ill it is so hard. Congrats on the wt. loss. I agree that the only way to consistently lose is to count calories. One thing I have done is to vary my calories from day to day to trick my body into not thinking I am starving. Some days I go low 1200-1300 and some 1300-1500 but try to keep an average of around 1300.

Jack-k. I usually don't ever have that many carbs a day either but like I said it was a busy day. Today I only had 2 carbs at breakfast and then had protein, veggies and a fruit the rest of the day.

Sef. congrats on staying OP

Lady Vic - WW spagetti is great. I'm like you I have to measure it or I keep eating way too much.

Monet - Hang in there

Cherylco - I agree that it takes time to detox and following the book is the best way to do it.

Work seems to be getting better or I just have a better attitude since coming home from vacation. I'm more rested and have a better perspective.

My hubby and daughter went walking with me this afternoon and that was great. We walk/run about 2 miles down a walking trail that is in the woods.

Hope everyone has a good WIW tomorrow.

Anna
222/177/140
Old 07-23-2003, 12:11 AM   #39  

Good evening gals, don't have time for replies tonight, but wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing.
Spent the day at the Vets, and at my Dr. Like BOB I got a little surprise. Will talk about it later, but I am seeing a Cardiologist in the morning. Have to get my baby girl (she is 9 years old) Bassethound in for teeth cleaning next week as her teeth are starting to get infected. Poor baby. She will not be a happy camper.

Lunch today-- 1 Turkey burger (fried with Pam and garlic) 1/2 cup FF cottage cheese, 1 cup fried zucchini with 1/2 tbl butter. Water.

BOB-- Sounds like you had a bit of surprise there. Glad it isn't surgery for the one, but what about the other?? And when is the time to do this???

Ladies, will be back tomorrow, sorry this is so inconclusive.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:15 AM   #40  

Angry Weigh in Wednesday

Hi All.

I weighed the same today as I did when I came back from the beach 177...Feel good that I am still down and staying OP. I'm borderline between a size 18 and 16 so I have lost one dress size and getting close to 2. I had crept back up to an 20. Nice thing is I have clothes for most sizes

Teensy - So sorry to hear you have problems. Hope everything turns out ok. I'm thinking about you.

Well it is getting close to my TOM and I'm starting to have headaches and other problems. They will last the whole week I take migraine medicine but sometimes it is just the bloated headachy feeling that just lasts. Very aggravating.

Anna

222/177/140
Old 07-23-2003, 08:39 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

BOB
on the bright at least what you have is fixable!

LadyV
I've found the WW spaghetti's and breads have so much flavor compared to the white stuff. I think you can only enjoy it if your palette isn't junked up with sugar though. Best thing is WW bread, Trader Joe's peanut butter and Polaner strawberry fruit...mmmm

Gator
What kind of medication do you take for your thyroid? Rissa's pages are really good. Her before and after are really motivating!
Sorry to hear your dad's in such poor health

beach
that's so awesome you get the family moving with you! As of Monday my DH started SB wahoo!! So that's all of us, our 2 kids do it too.
Lunch yesterday was at my cousins house, her sister was visiting from Fl. I brought my bread, had tuna salad, a green salad with tomatoes and onions an cucs and 2 bottles of water.
Was fine till she brought out the @#$^&* chocolate chip cookies with the coffee. Yah I ate one, nope 2!
Down another pound though, weighing in at 200!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:15 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good WIW. Hope everyone is happy with the scale today.

I wasn't. I was up 2 more pounds. These weekends are killing me. After vacation next week I am back 100% OP. No cheats or anything. May even get into the calorie counting. I'm tired of fooling with this last 10 pounds. Which is turning into 12 pounds.

Vacation shouldn't be too bad. Lots of fruit (except pineapple is very abundant there). Don't really like Carribean food too much so I can't gorge myself. I can pass up the sweets. Just the fancy drinks that cause me problems.

BOB, I'm on the south end of Hurstbourne Lane. about 10-15 minutes from Cathy. I guess the Dr's results are informative, but nothing definative to solve your problem right away. That's horrible about the disc. I hope it is slow progressing and is there nothing you can do now to slow it down? Take care of yourself.

Lady, keep in mind that 1/2 c ww pasta is 1 starchy carb. So 1 cup will be 2. Glad you liked it. I didn't. So I use the 100% duram semolina when I eat pasta which is rarely.

Sef, congrats on staying Op and getting your exercise in.

Gator, your lunch yesterday sounds great. Making me hungry. Glad you found out about your thyroid and doing something about it. Congrats on those 2 lbs. that will give you some motivation. I agree with you on the exercise. I have slacked off ont he wts for the last 2 weeks and I can already tell a difference. It is so important to keep it up. Hope your DF has a strong will and good attitude. That is 90% of it. My mom and dad always went to this little hospital. I hated it and called it a play hospital. Even though we have nice big hospitals too. It was closer to them and in their part of town. Very inconvenient for the rest of the kids though. Good wishes for your DF recovery and that he makes it to his 90th. My df was 88 when he passed away a month ago. It is hard to deal with. Take care of yourself too.

Beach, glad work is better for you. A good vacation always seems to do wonders. Walking inthe woods would be fun. Congrats on staying the same. Getting down 2 sizes in your clothes is great. I'm like you. I had every size in that closet. It was nice to get ride of the big ones though. Keep up the good work.

Teensy, hope things are ok with you.

Cherylco. Congrats on being down 1 today. You can just work off those cookies. Glad yoru DH has joined this WOE. So much easier for you.

Need to get busy here. Hope to check back later.

Congrats to all the losers this week.

Have a great day.

Jackie
Old 07-23-2003, 09:22 AM   #43  

Good morning everyone. I lost 5 1/2 lbs. this week so am really happy about it. I haven't been watching portion control real close because I just want to get going the right way. But will have to start soon. Think I'll have a couple of eggs, bacon, and a piece of toast for breakfast today.

LadyVatrovia- It sure sounds like you're doing good and trying lots of new things. Allot of times that really keeps me motivated.

Cherylco- You're really an inspiration to me..

Pancho- I'm going to have to make some chicken salad today, yours sounds so good. I've got to see if my health food store has those Shelton pot pies.

Rosalie- Your lunch sounds good!!! It always sounds like you keep really busy....

Monet- Ut oh get back in this wagon girl. My monster has been out of the cage and its so hard to get back under control.

Jack-K- Sorry about your "butt" hope its better today. LOL!!! Ouch....

Bob- Bless you gal you're sure having a rough time of it. Glad you don't have to have surgery right now....

Sef- Wow I admire anyone that can do needlework. I'll bet the sampler is really nice.

GatorGal- What a great post. I loved reading what you do with SB in your lifestyle...

beachfan- Its so nice to have someone to walk with.

Teensybean- Hope you don't get bad news at the cardiologist....

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Its hard to get back into writing long posts after not doing it for so long.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #44  

Jack-K- We were posting at the same time. Sorry about the 2 lbs. I'm so thrilled you're so near your goal. I hope you have a great vacation. You always do something so fun....
Old 07-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #45  

Good Morning All

No changes to report this morning. Weighed in at 194 lbs the same as last week. Eating has been good. Staying op most of the time. Still doing Fit-day most days. I find I do better when I get most of my calories in by dinner time, then I don't feel the need to snack in the evening except for a glass of milk at bedtime. It seems to be working most days although there were a couple of days this week when I was a bit hungry in the evening. So I have to be vigilant in getting those calories in by dinner time.

BOB - Sorry the news wasn't good at the doctor's. Let's hope that the numbness and pain clears up soon and that surgery can be avoided for the disc problem. Sending good thoughts your way.

Beachfan - WTG on the smaller dress sizes and for staying the same this week. You have done well since you have returned to the fold. That's great that you have company for walking - more fun than doing it alone.

Cherylco - Congrats on being down another pound.

Jack-K - Sorry to hear that you are up this week. I think you will have to start hibernating on the weekends when you get back from your vacation.

Toni - That's awesome - 5 1/2 pounds this week. You must be doing the happy dance.

Teansybeen - Good luck at the cardiologist's to-day.

Well have to go and have breakfast.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Closed Thread