Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 PM   #16  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good afternoon!

SEMO...If I want seconds of something I have it. I use real mayo and regular salad dressings. I find the low fat go up in sugar and down in flavor. So since I don't over do I just use the full fat ones and enjoy. As for fruit I eat it when I want it. I know there is something about eating it by itself to aid digestion but I don't worry about that stuff.

Lady.... the great thing about Adkins recipes is that yes we can eat em too....LOL If it's low carb it's gonna be low sugar. I know others watch their fats better than I do but I'm getting there. Your salvage store sounds neat. I'd love to find that syrup for 89 cents. The other day I found it at Krogers for the first time and it was over 4 dollars a bottle. Needless to say it's still at Krogers.

Jack-K....you mean they are gonna make you work before your vacation...that is just wrong..LOL Don't work to hard and make time for yourself.

Teensy....so glad you are feeling better. Sorry your son got bucked off. I think I would go crazy if one of my boys wanted to ride the bulls or broncos. Of course their dad would love it. The barrels keep my heart racing enough.

Pancho....you are doing so great. How tall are you? I'm nosey like that. *smile*

Well I have some homemade soup on the stove...the tomatoes all rippened at the same time...so I'd better get and tend to it before I start their dinner.

Love and hugs,
Crystle
Old 07-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Just a quickie..

Pancho, 11" is awesome. I know you must be seeing a big difference in your clothes. Keep up the good work.

Lady Vatrovia, where is the B & E Salvage located??

Teensy, glad you are feeling better now. The trials of being a woman! Guess those bulls get hot too.

Country, enjoy your soup. You must be such a good cook. I'm jealous.

Jackie
Old 07-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #18  
LadyV

Height: 5'0"

Jack-K There are two of them here..on is very small on Shepherdvilles Rd. The big one...the one I go to is on Preston across from Southern High School about a mile up from Outer Loop going towards the Gene Snyder Freeway! Stop by and see me sometime at work! I'm the Salon Manager at the newest PetSmart where Service Merchandise used to be.....by the Kroger before you get to Jefferson Mall.......theres a Red Lobster right in front of it on Outer Loop....give me a call there to if you can, Just ask for "Cloud" or, the Salon Manager.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #19  

Hi Everyone

Hope y'all had a good weekend. I was out lawn-bowling yesterday afternoon but got rained out after the first game. Should be going again this evening but have decided instead to go and see my gd 's soccer game. I feel bad that I never get to see any of her games - she's the only gd - but do get to see some of the boys games. She just happens to have her games on a Monday when I usually have other things to do. Same thing happened last year so thought I would try to take in a couple of her games this year. I played badminton this afternoon so have had some exercise to-day.

My lunch to-day ws leftover grilled chicken leg with cole slaw salad and cucumber and 7 oz 1% milk with instant coffee. Had a plum before the meal. Just had that at 3.00 p.m. as I didn't have time for lunch before badminton. Not cooking dinner tonite - decided to have leftover chili from the freezer and a salad.

Toni That pizza casserole sounds interesting. I saw the recipe on the other board and had thought about trying it. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Beachfan - Welcome back. Sounds like you had a good vacation. That's great that you were able to lose while away. All the walking and swimming must have helped. I liked the quote under Improve your Attitude - Whether you think you can or think you can't......you are right - I think that is so true.

CountryMom - Hope you have a good visit with your son.

Semo - Welcome to SB. The rule about eating fruits before/after meals is flexible. Some people may get indigestion if they eat fruit with a meal because it stays in the stomach too long before getting digested, but if it doesn't bother you then it is o.k. to have it with a meal. Also this rule does not apply to berries. They don't seem to cause problems when eaten with a meal.

LadyVatrovia - I use real butter. I don't use mayo but I do use regular dressings but only in small amounts. You'll find that most of the low fat dressings have sugar added. SB is not low fat but the authors do recommend moderation in the amount of fat consumed. Lean chicken is o.k. but watch the red meat as that has so much saturated fat even when the meat looks lean. Fish is good to eat - even though it has quite a bit of fat it is a 'good fat' that we need. I use 1% milk and reduced fat cream cheese.

Jack-K - Hope you enjoyed the party on the weekend. In case we don't see much of you this week here's wishing you a wonderful vacation.

Pancho - You must be very pleased with those stats. All those inches gone and over nineteen pounds since March. The cobbler turned out yummy. The recipe was posted by FILLISE and is on the April/May/June 2003 Recipe Board. I used 4 cups of apples and 1 cup of mixed berries and this was a good combination. The first time I tried it I used peaches and that was good too.

Teensybean - Glad the cramps have gone. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Have to go and heat up my dinner. Late lunch and early dinner .

Marie.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Toni
Thanks for the recipe. Going to try it this week.

SEMO & LadyVatrovia
Welcome to the board!

The waiting in eating fruit 2 hours after a meal and an hour before a meal is (according to the book) to prevent you from getting an upset stomach because fruit that sits in your stomach can ferment causing upset. So you want to eat fruit on an empty stomach. I have been doing SB for a year now and still read chapters of the book over and over. It's really not indexed very good so it's hard to find info.

The basic concept of SB is eating low glycemic foods. Read: The Glycemic Index By Rick Mendosa It helps you understand things better. Well it did for me.
Also http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters/ is a great site.

Pancho
Way to go on losing all those inches!!

Lunch was actually my breakfast too because I was at the gym from 9 to 11:30 and missed breakfast.
Anyway, ate a turkey and roast beef sandwich with mayo and cheese. Then about 20 minutes later I was still hungry so I ate some AK-Mac stoneground crackers and port wine cheese.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:44 PM   #21  
Little Engine That Could

Hi all,
And welcome to all the newbies.
My food today:
Breakfast: 2 soft boiled eggs on 1/2 piece WW toast. 1/4 canteloupe.
Lunch: Openfaced sandwich on 1 piece WW bread sliced thin crosswise and topped with swiss cheese, chicken breast slices, cottage cheese, cooked broccoli and more swiss cheese. This is run under the broiler to melt the cheeses. Pretty good.
Also, 20 cherries.
Dinner: Red snapper cooked with "spanish sauce" (tomatoes, onions, black olives, garlic, and basil)
Green beans with almonds
Green salad with vinagrette and shredded cheese.
1200 calories
Lots of water and herbal tea

My father is still in the hospital and the latest is that they want to put in a pacemaker. We were hoping to avoid any more surgeries. I'm afraid those doctors will kill my DF with all the stuff they want to do.

I walked 2 miles this evening with my DH. I had shin splints last night and could hardly hobble around. So I went to the chiropractor today and hopefully that will fix that problem. I didn't have any problems tonight.

Gotta go. It's late.
Thanks Rosalie for starting the board this week. You rock!!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #22  

Just a quick post to enter my lunch for the day--

Lunch--1 slice homemade WW bread, 2 tsp mustard, turkey breast slices, 1 slice 2% cheddar, 1 lettuce leaf, 1/2 c FF Cottage Cheese, 4.7 oz cucumber.

See you all tomorrow!
Old 07-22-2003, 08:19 AM   #23  

Good morning everyone. Can't believe I'm going to really make it a week on SB. It really is one day at a time for me. I made a crab quiche last night for dinner that I'd found the recipe either here or somewhere. It was good and served it with a big salad and fresh steamed broccli. I don't think DH liked it as much as I did but I told him I'd make him something he really liked tonight. Which is going to be chicken fried rice. We have cherry tomatoes getting ripe and I love them. Just enough to keep me in salad or munching tomatoes. I'm also trying to grow some yellow tomatoes this year too. I've got lots of bell peppers on the vine but want them to get red before I pick them. Well I think I'll have either tuna or chicken salad on pita bread for lunch. Off I go to finish up here and get dressed.....
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #24  

Talking Tuesday Tip

Hi All

Thought I would share with you my thoughts about how I adapted SB to work with my body and lifestyle. To me the book never did say this is the diet you should follow. My thoughts on the reason behind that is the authors were not really promoting a diet but a way of life. So, after reading the book I reasearched the glycemic index like Teensy said and went to the same website she recommended. I basically adapted what I eat to how my body would respond and lose weight. If I eat anything high on the glycemic index, I am hungry almost starving about 1-2 hours later. So, I avoid anything high in sugar. The exception is I will eat a little ice cream because the fat balances the sugar. I also kept eating/drinking dairy. I also had to limit the calories. Some people on SB are successful not limiting the calories but I wasn't. I stick to about 1300-1500 calories a day. Here was my meals for yesterday. Keep in mind I have chosen to eat most of my carbs early in the day.

B
1 cup WW Cheerios
1 cup low fat milk
1 piece WW bread
1 tsp butter
L
2 pieces WW bread
2 Tbs peanut butter
strawberries
D
Taco salad made with ground beef, picante sauce, lettuce and a little ranch dressing
S
low fat mozzarella cheese stick

1300 calories

Yesterday I was higher on the carbs because usually I don't have the bread for lunch. I was also lower on the calories because it was just a busy day. Most of the time for lunch I have tuna or chicken or a lean deli meat with a salad but I was in a hurry. I was also short on fruit. By the way I take a multi vitamin and 2 citrucel fiber pills each morning. Typical snacks are cheese sticks, fruit (and yes I am known for eating bananas and still losing weight ).

For the newbies my advice is to go with the highest fiber you can find, the lowest sugar, and eat plenty of protein.

Rosalie, thanks for doing the board this week.

Gator, your meals always make me very hungry and wish I was a better cook!

Anna
222/177/140
Old 07-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Tuesday Morning.

Got up this morning at 5:30 and got 2 miles in. I was trying to incorporate a little jogging into my routine. On the second time, I must have pulled something in my buttocks. I could harly walk. I tried to walk it out, but it hardly got any better. Then I couldn't walk very fast. It still hurts when I get up.

Lady, I hardly ever get to that end of town, but if I do I will look you up.

Rosalie, I'm sure your gd will be eaxcited that you came to watch her game. Kids love that.

Gator, When my dad was in the hospital, they told us it would b years before he needed a pacemaker, then they put one in the next day. Go figure. But he did fine with it. It can help keep the old heart pumpin.

Toni, congrats on making it a week so far. You can do this. Just one day at a time.

Beach fan, Thanks for your insight and tips. I could never eat 5 starches in one day though. I try to limit it to 1 or maybe 2.

Kim, where are you???????

Lunch today will be a hamburger patty with a slice of cheese, maybe some carrots and dip and some strawberries.

GOt to get busy here. I really need to start thinking about laundry and packing before Thursday. Oh well

Have a great day

Jackie
Old 07-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #26  

Just a quick stop in, work is busy and Friday is our cut off for the end of the month invoicing.
Here's what I had yesterday, feel free to make suggestions.

B - Blue Bunny lite yogurt with two tablespoons reg yogurt (full fat - already had it so I'm using it before I buy more)
S - Same as breakfast
L - 2 pieces of ww bread, slice american cheese, 3 slices roast beef, tomato and tablespoon mayo.
D - Salad, with egg, tomato, grilled chicken and three tablespoons ranch dressing.
About 80 oz of water and no other drinks.

Do you count tomatoes as a fruit?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:55 AM   #27  
LadyV

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn! Just got up! I'm off on Mondays and Tuesdays, so today is my Sunday.... LOL I did good yesterday but those darn Triscuits are dangerous! There hard to stop eating! I probably ate a couple more than I should of. For breakfast I am going to have Uncle Sma cereal...got it at the Salvage store yesterday and I'v never has it before........hope I like it!
Jack-K What part of town do you live in?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Like beachfan, I read everything I can on glycemic index and carbs. Some of it is a little contradictory so I'm adjusting all that I read to work for me. Not everything works for all people so it's really important to see what works for you. I do recommend following what the SB book says for at least 2-3 months to give your body a chance to detox from sugar. It's also a great way to train your mind and body from a lifetime of eating poorly.

SEMO
Your eating looks great!
I personally think of tomatoes are a veggie.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #29  

Good Tuesday Morning, all!

I have to take my daughter to a 2-hour letters class today at the community center, get a dinner certificate for my parents' 39th wedding anniversary, go to Costco and the grocery store. It will be a pretty busy day; hope the girls are rested and ready to go.

I haven't had breakfast yet today, but will probably have some shredded wheat with milk. Yesterday for lunch I had a chicken salad (chicken, celery, green onions, mayo, celery salt) on a whole grain pita bread (1/2). For dinner, I had a Shelton's Pot Pie with a salad (didn't feel like cooking).

Rosalie: Sounds like you stay active. Thanks for the info. on the cobbler recipe; it sounds good. I found a few recipes in my "Get the Sugar Out" book that I am going to try soon. One is for little cheesecake tarts, one is for Almond squares, and I forget what the other one is.

Teensy: Glad you are feeling better. Pizza Quiche sounds yummy!

Gator: Sorry to hear about your dad; how does he feel about all they want to do?

Toni: Congrats on making it through your first week!

Jack: Hope your backend gets better soon.

LadyVic: I've heard a lot of people say that about the Triscuits. I think the actual serving size is supposed to be 3; I always get 6. I always take them out of the box, and put the box away. I find that it is a good little snack if I melt pepper cheese on top of them in the oven for a few minutes, or if I get the Laughing Cow Light (swiss cheese soft wedges) and spread that on them. The key is to get your serving size out and put the box away.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #30  
LadyV

Okay....I ate some Uncle Sam Cereal...interesting! Certainly eatable...but different...womder if you could make them into some sort of "bar type thingie" to eat....I have a hrad time eating cereal on my work mornings.....
Pancho Very good idea on the triscuits!! Thanks!
Closed Thread