Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 04:54 PM   #46  

HELP! I'm not sure what is going on here but the scale is up 1/2 lb. Its moving in the wrong direction.

Here's what I ate yesterday, anyone care to give me some tips?!

coffee
orange

turkey sandwich on ww stone ground bread
green tea

diet coke
apple

lentil soup
hamburger w/ provolone (no bun)

celery w/ natural peanut butter
mixed nuts

consumed 4 glasses water

Thanks in advance for your help

Have a great day!
|Cathy in Ohio
Old 02-07-2001, 05:17 PM   #47  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

GOOD WEDNESDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Just a quickie before I make Michael's lunch and before I play "dodge the idiot drivers" -the walking game

BEACHFAN posted the new version of this weeks WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD. If you posted you exercises on the first board, please repost them onto the new one. The link is below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000119.html

THANKS BEACH!

I haven't weighed in yet, but it better be down!!!!!

Be back later this morning - GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

Debbie
194/1??/129
Miami, FL

Old 02-07-2001, 06:46 PM   #48  

Hi Everybody!

Well, I’ve been having some computer problems. Got all set to send this last night and before I realized it I was frozen solid. UGH!!! Hope you all are having a great week. Sounds like so many of us are feeling great and doing well.

WIW report. I stayed the same as last week. However, I am very happy about that because that means the five pounds lost from last week’s sicky time has really gone away. I thought I’d pick up at least two of those pounds this week. But that’s not the case. So I’m celebrating today.

CHERIANN---You did the right thing by giving all your non-SB food to your son. We did this a couple of weekends ago. I cleaned out the freezer and the pantry and gave it all to my brother. BTW, you and I are practically neighbors. Indy is only 2 hours from here. My brother lives in Fortville (northeast side). Do you know where that is? Also, I think your daily menu sounded good. Are you getting enough water? How about the fiber?

CATHY H---I’m with you about the snow. You are so far north that you are getting much more than us. But I am so ready to walk outside. Today I dreamed of daffodils peaking up out of the dirt. Tell me it won’t be long.

BELINDA---Thanks for sharing the broccoli dish. It sounds very do-able and good.

DEB---I loved your tip abou rubbing the butter directly onto the bread. So smart!!! We are flying into Tampa on Wed, March 7 and will fly out on Tuesday, March 13. So we’ll be there about a week. We are going to be spending our time with my niece and her finance. (The wedding is in May, so we thought we’d squeeze in a visit to help get rid of any pre-wedding jitters or stress . . . plus this cold weather sucks up here right now.) So anyways, I’m not sure what the plans are for the weekend. But I definitely would want to meet up with you all for a visit, a meal out, maybe some healthy SB shopping. I’ll talk to my niece and get an idea of what she was planning for us. BIG O, LAMAP, and DEB and anybody else in the vicinity . . . what are your schedules like that weekend.

MSLIZ---Oh, girl, I hear you loud and clear. Let me tell you about my friend, Sharon. She’s battled with her weight her whole life and has finally taken off her excess and kept it off for well over a year. She looks great. She’s so thin and fit now. Well, the reason I’m telling you this is because she loves wine. She NEVER limited her consumption of wine. She wouldn’t ever eat dessert or chocolate or anything like that, but she always knew that she would allow herself wine to drink. And she lost and has kept it off. You really can make this WOE work for you. Besides, I started drinking red wines, because they have less sugar in them. And I really like them now. So don’t avoid this WOE just because you like wine. And I have to say that I LOVED potatoes. I really didn’t think I could live without them. But once I stopped eating them, I didn’t even think about them anymore. I don’t even miss them. Truly. That’s no lie!! Give it a try when you are ready. We are not here to pressure you, but support you.

CONNIE---Consider yourself on my prayer list. I sure hope this lump is nothing and that it comes out easily and with no pain. My fingers are crossed for good luck, too.

Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day for me. I don’t know if any of you have heard of Curtis Aikens. He’s a chef, author who has his own show on the Food Network. Anyways, he is coming to town for a dinner tomorrow night which I will be a part of. But I’ve been invited to a special lunchtime get-together at one of our best restaurants where they will be providing some of his wonderful food. He’s a vegetarian and makes the most fabulous things to eat. Then in the afternoon Curtis is dropping by our afterschool program to visit with our kids. Curtis is a huge supporter of literacy. He was an adult before learning to read and knows first hand the importance of that one skill in our lives. His story is amazing and I love being around him. He was here last year for the dinner and I met him then. I’ll be ready to give you all a full report on what he fixes for lunch.

Well, gals have a great day. I’m hoping the scales are kind to everyone.
Kim
185/176/139
Cincinnati
Old 02-07-2001, 06:53 PM   #49  
Check out my homepage=>

G'mornin' everyone!

Okay, warning: obnoxious newbie questions coming! I notice that many SB people are also Weight Watchers people (not just here, but other boards as well). Why do those seem to work well together?

Next question...I get the general gist of SB & love the concept, but there isn't much help in the book when it comes to portions sizes, makeup of menus, and food combinations. The sample menus in the book don't seem to take into consideration whether you're 6' tall and want to lose 100 pounds, or 5' tall and want to lose 5. What I mean is, at 5'1" and with hypothyroidism, I'm concerned that my metabolism will get even more screwed up if I don't eat enough, and won't lose an ounce if I eat too much. :confused:

Debelli, where did you get all your awesome knowledge about that stuff?! (i.e., your post to Cheriann)

Sorry to be a pest, but how do I know how much to eat to hit my goals? And I know this isn't a WW board, but can somebody explain how it works? I thought they weigh all their food & then go to meetings where they weigh themselves...can you tell I know NOTHING!?
Old 02-07-2001, 07:09 PM   #50  

Good Wednesday Morning Ladies!

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well. For my wiw , it is 2 lb...grand birthday total of 31lbs! ( I did want 35, but 31 is still good!) We are going out for dinner Saturday to celebrate, and I really pray that I can stay on trac! Danny has already told me that for my cake, he is going to get my fav....German Choc! YIKES!!!!!!!! I WILL ENDURE, I WILL ENDURE(keep repeating to myself) Ok, gotta get some work started! Have a great sb day!

Cynde
Stockbridge, Ga

------------------
On my way to a new me!

I stared SB on 11/4/00 at 344lbs.....goal is 220lbs
Old 02-07-2001, 07:13 PM   #51  

Good morning!!

Oh what a beautiful scale morning!

I've been very conscientious for an entire week about posting my food intake on www.fitday.com (love you Overcome!!!) I've been keeping my calorie count at approximately 1800, following the SB plan for food choices, and this week lost THREE pounds. I am soooooo happy! This is the most I've lost in a week since I started SB 5 weeks ago. Grand total is ELEVEN pounds. 90.5 to go I encourage all of you who are struggling to visit www.fitday.com.

Thank you all for your good wishes about this lump on my wrist. Deb, a ganglion is a type of cyst.... pretty common things.... but my lump is in the wrong place and is hard, not squishy. Mostly it's the pain that bugs me.

Off to find something yummy for breakfast!!!

Healthy Hugs,
Connie in Janesville CA
11 pounds GONE!!

Old 02-07-2001, 07:24 PM   #52  
***ORANGE CHICK***

MORNING EVERYONE

MsLIZ...STRUCTURE STRUCTURE STRUCTURE !!!
I need to know that I have to weight in front of someone to make me accountable. I have a WW meeting tonight and will weigh in there and then post...The way I feel right now, I will be hesitant to step up on the one eyed monster! I feel as though I'm stuffed full of sodium...My scales at home were up 2lbs...
ANYWAY...I use SB foods and figure them to the WW point system...and right now am thinking about switching over to the WW exchange method...won't change the food any, but I STILL think it's easier than the points!
I also need PORTION CONTROL PORTION CONTROL
PORTION CONTROL!!!!

Quilter, Saturday would be best for me, let us know your plans...

Everyone else....I'll talk to everyone tonight..GOT TO GET TO WORK

Old 02-07-2001, 08:52 PM   #53  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Morning Again!

Got another 5 mile walk in this week, with a little extra exercise, so I'm feeling pretty darn good today! That and having FINALLY seen a loss on the scale is doing me good-I'm at 138, a 2lb loss from last weeks WIW and 1lb down from my lowest dip on the scale. 9lbs to go til goal!!!! I just hope the trend keeps going down now that I've done a happy dance!!

BEACHFAN, thanks for doing the newer board, I've locked the old one and put the link to the new one on the board. I hope things settle down at work for you soon, you sound too busy. You know that small gain is temporary, you'll drop back down soon - I know this from experience

MEL, congrats on becoming a full-fledged chick! Try not to work too hard-12 hour shifts, yuck!

CHERI, glad I was able to help you a bit. You can do the same thing I did by logging onto FITDAY.COM and posting your info on there, that's all I did from the info you gave me. I promise, it WILL make a big difference for you.

CATHY, I wouldn't worry about the small gain, it could easily be hormonal-again, I know this from experience! As I suggested to CHERI, go to FITDAY.COM and log your foods into tehe program so you can see how you are doing on your eating. From seeing what you ate yesterday, at a glance, it doesn't look like enough food-it would help if you had the portions provided. I figured you should be getting approx. 1400 calories a day.

QUILTER, glad to see you stayed the same and can claim that sick loss as a true loss this week Let us know ASAP what your plans for that weekend will be. If you'd like to do dinner, there is a wonderful restaurant in Marco Island that we go to. It's near Naples, where there are some nice shops to walk around as well as a small outlet strip mall. It's probably in between where you will be and where I am. Plus, if you like the beach, it's very nice there-right on the ocean. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm game-just need to know enough in advance. How did you come about to getting to this lunch with Curtis Aikens? I think I may of seen him once on tv, but not totally positive. Have a wonderful time!!!

MSLIZ, thanks for posting your bio, the first plunge I guess. I think many of us on this board have WW materials, I know I do. For me, the diet doesn't work. I don't use it in combo with SB, but many on this board and other diets do with success. Many do not like to journal foods, or count calories, and doing the points makes it easier for them to keep track of their eating, making sure they are getting enough food to eat. Just like the Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal, with the cards, or the new window things, this too can help someone keep track of portions without having to count calories. The sample menus in the SB Book are approx 1200 calorie menus, I believe. I suggest you logging onto FITDAY.COM where you can keep track of what you are eating each day, it does help. Figure out how many calories you should be consuming and keep track from that. There is info on the TIPS & TOOLS BOARD on how to figure this all out, but if you are pretty active, which it seems you probably are, you would most likely take in approx. 1200 calories. You don't want to go below that number. To maintain you current weight, being moderately active, x your current weight by 15, if you are very active, x your weight by 18-this is what you eat now to maintain this weight. My knowledge comes from sitting on my butt too many hours a day searching the net for informative information for the board : )

CYN, CONGRATS on that 2LB LOSS!!! I'm sure you WILL stay on track at dinner this weekend, just think about WHY/WHAT you are celebrating! But tell Dan, NO CAKE!

JOY, I'm OVERJOYED! CONGRATS ON YOUR 3LB LOSS!! I'm so happy the FITDAY.COM site is helping you. I second that YAHOO for OVERCOME! Thanks for explaining the cyst to this medical illiterate!

BOB, good luck at the WW meeting tonight, to **** with the scale at home. I say we throw it off Space Mountain if it doesn't start behaving!

Please remember TOMORROW IS RECIPE DAY so if you have any good SB LEGAL RECIPES you'd like to share with the board, please, post them tomorrow! I got 5 new used books yesterday, so I'm bound to have some new recipes to post - any requests???

Thanks for all your help on getting the good information we have posted on past boards together for me-it's a great group effort!

I'd like for you to see what we can add to the following BREAKFAST MENU IDEAS list:

BREAKFAST IDEAS

High Fiber Cereals with milk-Uncle Sams, Fiber One
Eggs or Egg Substitute-make a great omelet, hard boiled or scrambled
WW Pancakes or Waffles-BOB'S RED MILL has a great mix.
Cottage Cheese-add a little sweetener and cinammon
Plain Yogurt-can be topped with some fresh/frozen berries
Whole Grain Toast-top with a little butter/SF jelly, if desired
No Sugar Bacon- Gwaltney's is a great brand to try if you can find it!
Hard Cheese-melted on your toast or in your eggs
Fruit-as your meal, or 1/2 hr before, or 2 hours after
Muffins-lots of recipes to make some SB legal muffins out there

Time to hit the shower, I do need one! I'll check in with you all later on.

Have a wonderful day!

Debbie
194/138/129

[This message has been edited by Debelli (edited 02-07-2001).]
Old 02-07-2001, 09:11 PM   #54  
viv

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes about my Dad. Keep 'em coming. It's times like this I wish I were religious, people who are seem to get such strength from their faith. Maybe someday it'll hit me....

Anyway - Down another pound! A total of 3 pounds in 9 days! Yippee! That's more than I lost on WW in a year! I hope it continues....

Connie - My Dad lives in Santa Rosa? I notice you live in NE Ca, so that's probably a ways away, huh? Santa Rosa is a great place, I love all the wineries, etc....but the prices are ridiculous for real estate! I love that Sesame Ezekiel bread too! Ya know, I used the GF Grill when I briefly did the gross Larry North program and I got so sick of it, I don't know if I could use it again. You're motivating me to try, tho....

Jan- that's interesteing about the potatoes. It gets confusing, tho, all these different diets. Right now I'm sort of combining Sugarbusters with WW and Suzanne Somers....maybe it's just to keep my mind busy!

Big O - LOL, my best friend moved to FLA years ago - she's orig from Rochester and her DH from Boston - what a bunch of cold wimps they are now! Cracks me up! We'll be in FLA 3/23 - 4/1 ( if all is ok with my DAD, of course) - a week at WDW (I cannot wait!) and then to Boca. I think I'll miss you guys this time, every minute is programmed, as I am a major, compulsive Disney planner....however, my ILs are moving down there and we plan future trips - it would be fun to get toghether with the FLA SB-ers!

DEb - OOOOOOOOOHHHHH, Can I go see "NSync with your daughter???? My 6 yo loves them (10 yo too cool for them, likes Alternative rock, yikes...)...but that JC, gosh, he sure is cute and boy,can they move (keeping my mind out of the gutter, of course, ladies). I much prefer them to the Backstreet Boys (coming from a woman who still has her Pink Floyd albums, what's happening to me in middle age???). What's Carbolite? I think I've seen it - that bottled stuff? What's your impression of it? did you get my Fitday links...what bothers me is it takes the fat in the food and incorporates it, so it seems like I'm binging on fat! In your opinion, to lose at this weight, would you say 1200 cals/day is appropriate to shoot for? Miami has come so far these past few years - ever go see the fun and silliness at South Beach?

Melf - Congrats on Chickdom!

Quilter - Well, at least there is a bright side to being sick! Congrat on the 5 lb maintained loss!

Belinda - Yum, we made the roasted broccoli last nite. 10 yo loved it, 6 yo had to dip in soy sauce as usual. God, he is so picky. Have you tried roasting asparagus? Da-lish!

Cheriann - have you checked out Fitday? It lets you set up nutritional goals and then you fill in your foods eaten and see where you're off. It's easy - try it.

Ms. Liz - Welcome. It's getting easier for me, I keep rereading the book to understand the concepts more. I;m a WW Lifer so the WW principles are engrained in my brain.

Cynde - is today your birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

Quilter - I love the Food Network! What a great opportunity! Have a great time and for once, indulge, just a bit~!!!!

OK, back to work.. Have a great SB day!

Viv
146/143/128
Simsbury, CT

Old 02-07-2001, 09:39 PM   #55  
viv

I made great pea soup last nite, packed it up for work, grabbed it from the fridge, looked inside before putting it in the fridge at work ----- LEFTOVER CARROTS!!!!! (NOT MINE, OF COURSE, lol)...

So....what do I get at the Chinese restaurant? What's legal?

Help!!!!

Viv
Old 02-07-2001, 10:04 PM   #56  

ARGGGHHH!!
My weight is still fluctuating between 218-220! This is getting really frustrating, especially since this whole move thing is about to really start rolling! I know that will be difficult to begin with, as we will be having to eat out alot until they get us into our own apartment.
Here is what I ate yesterday...
Breakfast: bowl of Special K w/ skim milk
small glass of orange juice

Lunch: one slice of Garden Pizza
from Wild Oats
one Lemon Poppyseed muffin also
from Wild Oats

Dinner: one bowl of homemade Chili

Just before bedtime, I drank another small glass of OJ. Not something I usually do.

I did no snacking, as I had gone into Albuquerque to the Endocrinologist, and then ran errands. The endo had good news, though. She said my thyroid numbers had improved since my last scan, and that I would need to check them again in about 6 weeks in Boston, but things look really good, and probably won't be needing medication! I was really sweating that because if they were not better, we were going to have to zap the thyroid with the radioactive iodine, and I wouldn't be able to hold my little Elli, who would be turning 2 on the same day as the treatment. I wouldn't be able to hold, hug, or kiss my baby for a whole week! I'm so glad things turned out the way they did, instead of having to go the radioactive route!

Well, I'm off to find something good for breakfast. Have a great WIW! Hope you are all LOOSERS!
Sara
233.5/219/160
Edgewood, New Mexico
Old 02-07-2001, 10:06 PM   #57  

Good morning!
MELF - Thank you, I did have a better day. The person who jumped down my throat on Monday came in and apologized - said THEY were wrong! Emergencies that sprang up on Monday disappeared yesterday (the person who said they were emergencies and that I better get on the ball and fix it, said they were wrong.) I'm still a little nervous about heading in today. Like running into no man's land.
Joy - Dh's cousin had lumps up and down her wrist. Had to get them removed, too. I wonder why they appear on the wrist, of all places? Sometimes I wish I was in med school instead of law school so I could know all about the human body - but I don't think I could take the incisions. A scalpel just gives me the willies.
BIGORANGE - Been meaning to ask you...How do you feel about the Big 12? I'm a pretty big fan myself but I'd hate to step on any toes.
Deb - Breakfast ideas: Oatmeal or Breakfast Burritos in Legal tortillas with salsa and cheese and sausage.
Um... that sounds good. Maybe I'll have that for lunch???
Have a good one!
Old 02-07-2001, 11:13 PM   #58  
Check out my homepage=>

THAT DOES IT!!!!! I just got on the scales & am 2 pounds heavier after this weekend. Not that it really means a whole lot (scales are the least accurate measure of change) but it was enough to push me off the fence. Welcome aboard the newest SB devotee, ladies! I'm in.

------------------
"Half of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up to get it." -Bill Phillips
Old 02-07-2001, 11:28 PM   #59  

Sorry that I have not had time to post. The next 2 days will be the same. I miss reading and responding to everyone's posts.

The scale only dipped 1/2 which puts me at 170. I have been stuck between 170 and 171 for 3 weeks now. Hopefully next week I will see a jump. I find it interesting that once I started exercising my weight loss slowed. HMM. I'm sure that the entire bottle of wine that I drank at a party (went a slight bender ) Saturday did not help the situation! I've been so stressed out that it was time I cut loose a little

Hope you are all having a great day.

Peace,
Frog

190/170/130

Old 02-08-2001, 12:00 AM   #60  

Well no contribution for me this week AGAIN!uggggggg but i will prevail! I am up .8 at WW yesterday i did go at a different time than i usually do (big whoop!) I usually go in the a.m just with fruit in my tummy!! LOL I did have a decent week that is in my favor-really trying hard to stay away from the sugar. I am doing great other wise. I really think i am not eating enough also. Sounds like a common thing this week. I have been excersising atleast 5x a week if not 6x sooooo my body is changing (ya know that butt comment! LOL) I guess we have to put it all into perspective! Anyone see that Phil guy on Orprah? how ever you spell that name! LOL He is right -it has finally clicked like that for me this time around with the weight (started july 99) It is all in our heads! (now if i could find the will power pill!) anyway!!! I am up and i am not mad! LOL a miracle!
Viv- I must be in the same snow path we got 24 inches of the white stuff!! LOL its horrible but the kids love it! My little one is out side now in the 43 degree weather spraying the snow with food coloring! LOL she wanted to know why i woulnd't give her yellow!!!!!! I go for the soup at chineese and chicken wings-beef and broccoli or shrimp and stir fry veggies minus the carrots! LOL
Deb- I brought my 11 yr old son to see Back St. Boys last year!! One tip bring the ear plugs!!!! LOL I think its adorable when they scream (i only have one girl! and i can't screech!) Yeah for the 138 looks like they are here to stay next week you will be lower i know it!!! (me too i hope!)
Quilter-yeah on staying the same! your body must have needed the food you had this week!!! keep it up next week you will lose for sure! I love the Food channel! Have fun!
cynesa- Happy Birthday!!! And congrats on the 2 lbs!! thats a great loss. On my bday i made my hubby buy me a sugar free angel food cake with strawberrys sweetened with sweet in low!! I loved it did the trick was not totally "legal" but did the trick! what ever you do enjoy and don't sweat it!!! You allways have tomorrow!
cmd- WOOOOHOOOOO! great loss keep it up! just think in a month you will have that doubled!! Remember take some pictures!!! (maybe some of the wrist too!)
BOB- don't worry about that stupid scale!! I am shocked i am not stressing about what mine said last night!!!!
Shasahm-HANG IN THERE PLEASE!!!!! You have to get all your stuff in order sometimes its hard and other thing have to take priority! Even if you can stay away from the sugar and all the stuff you know your not suposed to have and just go with the rest does that make sense?? In other words skip the scale! Glad the medical stuff is looking good for you. Your menu looks like your not eating enough!!!! What about fruits??? HUH!! LOL
Frog-WOO HOOOO almost to the 160's what a great feeling!! You sound like your on your way!! keep it up!! You know your builing muscle so thats why i guess we don't lose as well when we work out hard. I also think thats whats up with me, but i like the results of how my body is looking. I wish we could get over the numbers! LOL
Hope everyone else is a loser this week if your not just keep at it its just a number!!! (listen to me!)LOL I have to go get my lunch and the kids too!!! Have a great day everyone!
Closed Thread