Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 04:22 AM   #16  

Hi everyone. What a beautiful day it has been here in SW LA. Went for a walk earlier. Did 1 mile in about 18 mins. Walking against the wind coming back, so it took a little longer, but figured it helped to burn a few more calories...LOL But now I have a headach. Maybe cause I've been sitting here too long.

Great about the extension Debbie!

No, my sister is not following SB, but I sent her this site hoping she would check it out since she has admitted that she needs to do something about her weight. It would be neat for me to have someone else nearby to share this WOE with.

When I first started SB, there were others at work that were already following this WOE & loosing, but now there's only one. We do share information & ideas, but this site sure has helped me to stay motivated & committed.

I shared some info about my diet yesterday at work & the comment was "you just eat too healthy for us", but you know, I take care of patients that are often my age (52) or younger that have way too many health problems. I have enough of my own already & I am determined to take better care of myself. I want to not only make it to retirement age, but also want to be able to enjoy it when it gets here.

well, guess I need to get off my soap box & go see about supper. Put a roast in the slow cooker this am & plan to steam some veggies to go with it. See ya'll later!

Mary
193/168/150
SW Louisiana
Old 02-06-2001, 04:43 AM   #17  

About decaf green tea...I read in Prevention magazine that the process in making the tea decaf alters the tea and takes away most of the metabolism enhancing benefits. They had some big long explanation, but the bottom line is that the decaf doesn't work the same as the regular.

I'm glad I finally had something to contribute!
Old 02-06-2001, 05:27 AM   #18  

Whoooo Boy is my DH mad!!! He has been so good about adapting his recipes to SB. Tonight we had fried oysters (I LOVE THEM). He used ww bread crumbs. It didn't work well at all!! They wouldn't stick to the oysters. Then he used an egg with ww bread crumbs. Too thick. Normally he uses Italian Bread crumbs and voila! He is so used to everything coming out perfect when he's cooking, that this threw him for a loop. As far as I was concerned, the were DELICIOUS! We ended up taking most of the coating off before we ate them. Good thing b/c I ate about 2 dozen. He marinates the oysters, but he won't give me the recipe. All I know is there is lemon juice involved. Wish I could share with you all.

He also tried a new recipe that I got off the "Sane Way Of Eating" web site. It's called Cauliflower Divine and it is supposed to be a substitute for mashed potatoes. It was wonderful. You have to like cauliflower. We sure enjoyed it! IT's a keeper. I'll post it on the board.

I'm on my way over to FitDay to see how much those oysters cost me!!
Ashley

Old 02-06-2001, 06:59 AM   #19  
viv

I just had a bunch of stuff written and it disappeared... well, you guys will benefit from it as I won't be so longwinded now...

It keeps snowing and snowing...I wonderr if school will be delayed tomorrow....yikes, more complications....

Since I am an official SB-er now, I just want to make you aware of something stressful I'm going through. My 80 yo Dad who lives 3000 miles away, in CA, with his wife...just got confirmation that there is a "mass" on his lung. He goes for a catscan tomoro...this in addition to cardiac issues he's had for years. So think good thoughts for tomoro...it stinks being an only child...

OK, onto more pleasant stuff. I really like the Fitday site - it really keeps me on track and I see that I have to adjust my fat consumption. I'm really nervious about WIW because I could really use some positive news about now!

Overcome - can you please post the WW waffle recipe? Waffles are the only things my DH cooks, so it would be nice to benefit from that! You're lucky he cooks! It's great news that you haven't cut the fat and are still losing - after all these years on WW, it feels strange not to worry obsesively about the fat...

Belinda - Oven roasted broccoli - great idea! I assume you just coat it with a bit of olive oil and roast at 500? Congrats on the -3!

Laurie - I really enjoyed that info about Women. Esp the "average" info....

Gator - Way to go on the -2.5!!! I hope I can post that kind of news regularly!

Rhoo - I enjoyed those pics. I wish I could take the time to get some pics of us up on the web....

Deb - thanks for the STevia tips. I was definitely looking in the wrong place. I hope you dip below that 139 soon! I had a horrible headache today too, took 5 advils over time and a nap to get rid ofit. i was worried it was a migraine. Good idea about the location, I'll start doing it asap, if I remember...No limits on beries, that's great news.

MelG - thanks for the green tea info. I;ll switch back to the caf version tonite.

Country - welcome to the fold! I found starting this program to be really easy, hope you find it the sameway.

Melf - I totally agree about the health issues. How many people do we see abusing their bodies when they are young because they are in "invincible"? I want to bang their heads on something and make them understand what they are doing to themselves! I have a co worker, a guy, who is typical of the ignorance around us -= he's quite overweight, smokes, isn't active....and just doesn't want to learn about how to really take care of himself. Drives me crazy, he's a great guy, a great technician too - andhe's young! LOL, don't rub it in about the nice weather....it's been snowing here for 9 hours......

Well, off to help out the high maintenance kids...

Viv
146/144/128
Simsbury, CT
Old 02-06-2001, 07:00 AM   #20  

Hello Friends!

Well I have a question for all of you! I was reading the label on the WOW chip bag. It says 0 sugar. Does that mean they are legal? I wouldn't want to overdue it but it would be a nice snack once in awhile.

Have a grand night )

Cathy
Ohio
Old 02-06-2001, 07:13 AM   #21  

Hi Everyone

Happy Monday. Here is my motivational thought for the day:

My thoughts direct my actions,
My actions become my habits,
My habits define my character,
And, my character is the birthplace of my destiny

Remember to think "NO SUGAR".

I've had a busy day at work. Still doing fine on SB. Today I am up some because of my TOM which is coming and I feel very bloated.

A couple of comments on questions in post...

I try to excercise 5 days a week but am not always able to do so. I read an article that said successful maintainers of weight loss excercise at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. BUT, when I started on SB I could barely make it around the block so I only walked one block one time a day. Start small and then as you lose build up to more

Green tea...I also read that the decaf is not as effective. I drink mine in the mornings so it doesn't keep me up at night.

If you are interested in the percentages of fats, carbs and proteins recommended by the authors, go to www.sugarbusters.com and find the Rick Mendosa interviews with the authors. They are very very interesting and even emphasize that they didn't want to have legal and illegal foods because this is a WOE. That was also where I found that you could eat WW cheerios and Special K.

FLORIDA GIRLS: I am so glad ya'll had a good time. I thought about you alot and knew that you were doing the SB thing in style

Oh and Deb: Have you heard from Georginna lately or Fruit. We miss them.

Have to run. See ya'll tomorrow.

222/139/140
Birmingham, Alabama
Old 02-06-2001, 07:15 AM   #22  

Oh, Sasham...Sega Dreamcasts are being discontinued and they won't be making new games for them. My son has one and is very very upset. You may want to rethink getting one because the fun of the systems is getting the new games as they come out!
Old 02-06-2001, 07:59 AM   #23  

Happy Monday everyone! Boy, I sure do get on late on Mondays. Oh well better than never.

ORANGE---You made my day with just the suggestion of a small get-together when I am down in the Tampa area. That would be so much fun. We were thinking about going to Epcot or the Universal Studio thingy. Is that any closer to anyone? I’ll understand if it doesn’t work out. But it sure would be great to see some of you.

BELINDA---Girl, you need to talk more about the oven roasted broccoli. Are there any specific instructions to do this? It sounds yummy. As a matter of fact, all the meals you described sounded heavenly. I so enjoy making my gravy with WW flour and not feeling guilty about it. Tee-hee! Also, congrats on the 3 pounds.

DEB--We are flying into Tampa and staying at my niece’s fiance’s condo in Parrish, FL. Does that sound familiar to anybody? I’m not exactly sure what our plans are. Like I told BOB above . . . we may go to central FL on the weekend. Miami is pretty far from there, isn’t it?

CATHY H---Where is Delta? Are you near Cincinnati? Or are you up north? Hope it’s warm where ever you are. Brrrrr.

OVERCOME---I want that cauliflower recipe. That sounds wonderful. Your DH sounds wonderful, too. Mine will cook, but nothing complicated with bread crumbs or things that need marinated. He’s a basic cook. But I’m still thankful for that.

VIV---I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. I will put him in my prayers and good thoughts. My parents are close to their 80’s and their health keeps getting progressively worse. It really puts us in a bad position. I’m sure you are feeling like you are way too far from him right now. It’s good that his wife is still with him. Hopefully, he can lean on her. I’ll pray for a full-fledged miracle. Let’s hear it for a disappearance of the mass. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Well, gals, as always, you continue to inspire me and keep me going on this program. Thanks to each of you.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Kim
185/176/139
Cincinnati, OH

Old 02-06-2001, 08:07 AM   #24  
Little Engine That Could

Are we keeping a weight loss board for the week any more? I didn't see one. Actually, I saw one, but it was really for exercise. I want to record my 2.5 pound loss for the week, as I have WIMonday instead of WIW.
Old 02-06-2001, 08:17 AM   #25  

Good evening. Hope everyone has had a good day. My cravings are getting less and less and I am so thankful. In fact, I am finding that it does not take much food to satisfy you once you get the sugar junk out of your system.

Here is something that was on Joyce Meyer's daily calandar for today and I thought it was pretty appropriate for us.

LIVE NOW!

In the reaching toward what lies ahead in the future, we must not lose sight of now! Don't lose today being concerned about tomorrow.

Good night! Debi

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by ebabe1955 (edited 02-05-2001).]
Old 02-06-2001, 09:15 AM   #26  

Hello all (again)
Roasted Broccoli (from the Diet Chat site)
coat broccoli in olive oil / pam, I crushed a clove of garlic in it, tossed it, put it on a cookie sheet. 500 degrees for 10 minutes. (I know I should put this on the recipe board but since you asked for it here...)
I need to start drinking my green tea. I love it, but in the mornings I feel like I need to start with my water and I forget at night. You swear this works??? I tried another recipe tonight, I'll post it on the recipe board so you'll have to look there. DH said it was a winner and he RARELY says that about my cooking!
There was so much I was going to say but now I forgot. Does anyone else watch Raymond? I laughed so hard tonight. Anyway, today was a rough day (everything went wrong and it was all *my* fault -- one of those days) but I stayed legal. Yay! Don't know if I'll do WIW since I had such a good WI this am - don't want to ruin it!
Good night all!
Old 02-06-2001, 10:21 AM   #27  

Hi everyone! Well, today I went shopping and bought only the things that I can eat on this WOE. Then my son came over this evening and I gave him all the other things from my fridge and cupboards. I am ready to begin and am so excited.

Thank you all for the motivation. I promise to post something next Monday.

287/274.5/145
Cheriann
Indianapolis, Indiana
Old 02-06-2001, 12:39 PM   #28  

What do I need to look for when buying sourdough bread? Every loaf I've seen has enriched flour in it.

Thanx, Debi
Old 02-06-2001, 04:56 PM   #29  

Good Morning Ladies

Well it is snowing here this morning. Boy have I ever had enough of this white stuff. I'm ready for spring so I can get outside and walk.

I hope you all have a great day!

I'm near Toledo (ever heard of it)?

Cathy
In snowy Ohio
Old 02-06-2001, 05:26 PM   #30  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning Everyone!

Fell asleep last night so wasn't able to get in a evening post

Eli is off today, so that means running around up in Broward, Ole Ole is a given today

Thanks for all the offers to help, you are all so great! I love having a group effort! I will be trying to e-mail you all with your "assignments" sometime today/tonight, thanks again for all your help!!

Thanks for posting your "locations" on the board too - it's nice to see at a glance where everyone is from!!!!

MELF, that's a nice walk you had! I too ended up with a headache after I walked yesterday, but it was definintely hormonal, and a doozie at that! I hope your sister decides to follow SB with you, that would be motivation for both of you! Trust me, those people are just plain jealous. Thanks for the info on the decaf green tea!!

OVERCOME, I know how your hubby feels. Sharon, my friend, make delicious baked eggplant and she was over and wanted to make that for us, well, I made her use bread crumbs I had made, one batch from triscuit type crackers, then another from the Ezekiel bread-it was a disaster, no one would eat it and it got ditched, and fast! At least you got to eat yours-ours found it's way to the garbage!

VIV, sorry to hear about what is happening with your father. Please keep us informed on what they find in the scan-I hope it's nothing. When I said no limit on berries, just to make sure you understood me, that's you can eat them at any time and shouldn't have a problem-just wanted to clarify it

BEACH, thanks for the motivational words. Nope, I haven't heard from either of them lately. Trust me Anna, if you get to Clearwater, we will find a way to meet with you as well-so let us know if this comes to be in your plans this year.

QUILTER, I've never heard of Parrish, but looked it up and it seems to be about 63 miles from Ft. Myers. I would love to meet you there. That's a few hours from me, but not as bad as going to Tampa area. You are going to be VERY CLOSE to BIGO and IAMAP! So lets see what we can plan - how long will you be staying there, until what date?? Let us know!!

GATORGAL, usually JOY has one up and running-I'm sure she'll get it posted up there if she doesn't have one already. Hold onto that loss real tight and we'll get that board up so you can post your loss!!!

EBABE, thanks for adding that motivaitonal thought! Glad to hear the cravings are getting less and less-they'll disappear soon!!!!

BELINDA, I love Raymond - it's such a funny show. I died laughing about the "measuring"! Thanks for sharing the broccoli dish with us! Sounds yummy!

CHERI, glad to hear you are upbeat and ready to roll into a healthier WOE. Remember, don't hesitate to ask questions, we're all in this together!!

KAPOLA, with sourdough, I don't think it's ever made with WW flour, so just look for one with no sugar, or where there is 3grams of sugar or less per serving. They are definintely out there-just need to read the labels. Try to get one that has no/very little preservatives, I read the label of one and put it back on the shelf so fast-tons of preservatives!!!

CATHY, don't worry about the scales - if you are feeling better, that's what more important, the scales will go down!! Hope it doesn't snow too much for you!

Well, it is TUESDAY TIPS and here is my contribution:

This is nothing great, but I think it's a good tip that I use. I decided to use butter instead of margarine when I needed to. I rarely use butter, but like the taste on my toast when I eat it. I take a stick of butter and cut it in half and this becomes "my half". When I take my toast out of the toaste oven, I immediately rub my butter directly onto the toast. It uses very little to get that buttery taste onto it, and I don't even have to make a knife dirty!!!

Well gals, I'm off! I will check in with you all sometime later today.

Please remember, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!!! I hope the scales are kind to you all!!!!

Debbie
194/139/129
Miami, FL

Closed Thread