Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 08:57 PM   #76  
viv

Hi All - It's snowing again. Can you believe this? My kids spent another coupla hours yesterday afternoon refining their snow forts, amazingly sophisicated, etc. I just wonder when this stuff will turn to ice, we're supposed to get rain over the weekend, that's going to stink!

Thank you for all the good thoughts about my Dad. Keep 'em coming, please. We are supposed to get the results of the catscan today and I am really frightened. What makes the whole thing worse is the 3000 mile separation - and having no siblings. He and his wife (25 years younger) are on the "outs" (ridiculous), so he tries to lean on me from 3000 miles away. Not a happy time. I'll keep you posted....and thanks again.

I'm going to try to post a couple of recipes today...if I can sneak the time in. Took a great walk with a GF at our rec area last nite while little DS was at hockey practice - the sky was beautiful, stars were out. Speaking of GF's, my 3 closest ones are all going to warm places during February break the week after next, I guess it's stressing me out that they'll be away,....if I need them. There are others, but these 3 are the best, and their kids are similar in age and craziness to mine, which helps!

Sara - I was looking at your Wild Oats menu. The pizza and the muffin - were they WW - was the muffin sugar free? I want to know because a) that might affect your loss, of course, and b)I['m headed for WO tomoro and want to know if I can eat them! So let me know! Did you find a place in Boston?

Ms. Liz - welcome. I'm two weeks new (not even) and I love the program. I hope you do too.

Frog - I hope, at least, the bottle of wine was an expensive merlot!

Country - those snack machines would be really tough for me to handle at work. Stay strong and you'll win - maybe the snack company can put some nice WW pretzels in one of the slots!

Overcome - let me know when you find a perfect brand of ice cream. I haven't even ventured into that aisle, but it would be good to know for the (near?) future. Thank you for the kind words - I';m still in limbo and I feel it's worse than not knowing. And I'mglad you overcame your cookie urge....I know what that feels like!

Cheri - glad you like Fitday - what a great discovery!

Jan - can I share some of those Brad Pitt dreams please? It's amazing to me how many programs are similar to this - then there must be something to it - so why don't they get more positive publicity?

Barbee - How cool to have watched the shuttle. They said it would be visible all the way to NYC - we're about 90 miles from NYC, so no view here. Thanks for the praying encouragement - I wish something would just find ME. You do sound outspoken and fun - I like that, so keep it coming - you must have roots in New York!

Connie - what fun for DH's birthday. I'm sure if you plan right you will enjoy great food without sacrificing your WOE!

Beach - sorry about the +5 - what do you think contributed to it? Thanks for the information on SB - I think they key,in explaining it to other people, is the sugar vs. glycemic index theory - so far, people I tell about it just don't get it, and I think it's because I'm not explaining it correctly. Ah ha - I can eat green bananas?????

Kapola - sorry you're feeling down, but wow - -3.25? That's excellent!

Deb - aha, that's why Fitday didn't send to you. I'll get that fixed and resend it for your review. I appreciate it. I think I'mdoing better. My GF's relatives from Rochester - she grew up in Pittsfield or Pittsford, I forget which is the right name. Near yours? Even her parents are down in FL now, she's in Boca and they;'re in Jupiter or...no, Stuart. LOL my first concert was David Cassidy at Madison Square Garden, major nosebleed seats (the BLUE seats for anyone who knows MSG), I can still hear the screaming (mine and others) to this day What a scene! But still, that JC..... So, do you live in actual downtown Miami? If so, where do you walk? I once had a friend that lived in Miami Lakes - that was beautiful - we went skinnydipping in the canals (pre-kids, of course, bikini body at 113 lbs)....gosh, I wonder if there were alligators?

I'll try to get some recipes up today. Anything to keep busy...

Viv
146/143/128
Simsbury, CT
Old 02-08-2001, 09:55 PM   #77  
Check out my homepage=>

Ummm, another question... ...sheesh!

The numbers: is it beginning weight/current weight/target weight?

So that would be 125/125/105?
Old 02-08-2001, 10:29 PM   #78  
viv

Just a quick note....
It's not the "C" word for my Dad...couple of other conditions, like hiatal hernia (we knew that), some scarring. Will require treatment, but minor compared to what we were all fearing.

THANK YOU for your kind words and thoughts. All my buddies on this and the other boards, and my friends here in Snowbury and other places were really there for me. I do so appreciate it.

viv
Old 02-08-2001, 11:11 PM   #79  
Little Engine That Could

Just checking in to say hi. Have been very busy and no news to post.
Big Orange, I found the Wileys. Made beans last night. Yum. Thanks for the info on it.

Who was asking about the Big 12. Nope. We are died in the wool SEC fans! I was rooting for OK. though because Stoops used to coach at Fla. Glad they won.
Old 02-09-2001, 12:21 AM   #80  

Boy, do I love the digital scales at work. My scales (not digital) showed a 1 lb loss yesterday morning, but last night at work, 2 1/2 lbs! Lost 1 1/2 pounds in less than 24 hours? Weighed this a.m. on mine and showed another 2 lb loss besides the 1 yesterday - 3 total on my scales and 2 1/2 on the scales at work last night. Must be all the bathroom trips I made at work last night. Going more now than when I lived on pop (soda)

Viv - I'm so happy for you. You've been in my prayers.

Kapola - I hope you aren't hurt. I have been hit that way twice - once really hard and the second not so bad, but it really irritated the injuries I got the first time. Dr. said to not get hit again - yeah, like I'm going to run around with a flashing sign on the back of my car saying "Stop, stupid!"

Barbee - I'm the Chrysler gal, but I don't work at Chrysler. I work for Methode Electronics in Carthage, IL. We make automotive electrical components such as ingnition switches, wiper and headlight stalks (the controls that stick out on the sides of the steering column)for Chrysler and Ford. The line I work on makes wiper and headlight stalks parts for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The part that I actually make is called a clockspring. It sits inside your steering column, just behind the airbag. It is the electrical connection for the wiper, headlight and airbag. With the car business being slow, there is a ripple affect - Chrysler isn't making a many cars, so they don't need as many parts to put in them. So far I am spared. I think I will be OK. Tuesday, hourly people with less that 1 year were laid off (under 90 days, terminated), and last night
4 salaried workers were terminated. There were 2 people with 25 years in on first shift who were terminated. Non-essential personnel, so they say. Not a good situation. Will just have to deal with whatever happens.

Debeli - Is the zuchinni loaf cake that you made on the recipe board someplace? If not, could you post it, please.
Old 02-09-2001, 01:29 AM   #81  

Just wanted to check in and say hello, haven't had much time to read the board. Posted another meringue recipe today, which actually came out well. this mad scientist has been experimenting in her laboratory trying to find a way to bake with whole wheat flour so it's not so **** crumbly. Well, the powdered egg whites work fantastic for meringues.

Best sf icecream i've found is the Weylers Double fudge chocolate. Excellent! the other flavors suck.
Old 02-09-2001, 02:06 AM   #82  

Hello everyone. I would like to join your board. This is my third SB try and I've posted here before. I know it is the best way of eating. I am starting again today and have made a strong commitment to this way of eating this time.

Just a little about myself. I live in Seguin, TX near San Antonio. I am 41 years old and have 100 pounds to lose. I will post more info on the bio board later.

I look forward to being a part of this marvelous group and getting to know everyone.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:50 AM   #83  
karen3000

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for months trying to make up my mind about this WOE. I had originally thought of doing North's Great America Slimdown, but that is too restrictive. I know I eat way too much sugar, and years ago when I was undergoing infertility tests, PCOS was mentioned (that would explain some other problems I have). The final decision was made when a friend lost 10 and her husband lost 20 without even following the plan religiously.

So far, I haven't found this plan too bad. I've surprised myself at being able to stick to it for this long, as that's not usually what happens. Reading your posts has given me lots of inspiration and encouragement, even though they weren't specifically written to me. I don't know how much I will post, but I certainly will be reading all of yours! Keep up the great discussions--I feel like I have a whole new circle of friends!

Old 02-09-2001, 04:57 AM   #84  

Hi everyone.I've been running in circles (not exercise)this week & wasn't able to post. I lost 1.5 lbs somehow. We had 14 inches of snow on Monday, lost electricity monday am through Tuesday at 5:00 pm and it was coooooold. We just sat around the fireplace and wished we were back in FL. For those folks using WW / SB for the structure, how do you do it. I tried to get the WW at home program or the e-tools they have on line which provides MENUs for a structure but my area in PA or NJ does not have it so I cannot get either. What a disappointment.I will have to sit down and use the shopping list to make menus for my family that are in line with SB. Sounds like everyone had a blast last weekend, wish I still lived in Florida. We moved here in 1997 from Coconut Grove, FL. Will this site have a menu topic?
Everyone seemed to lose well this week,I think I lost my weight just WORRYING about what to eat. 200/198.5/1125 (Eastern PA)

[This message has been edited by finallylosin (edited 02-08-2001).]
Old 02-09-2001, 04:59 AM   #85  

Hi Gals!

I don't have much time . . . we're off to our dinner with Curtis Aikens. I have to report I've had a fabulous day!!! We had the small intimate lunch with Curtis (for those of you who missed my previous posts, he's a world famous chef who has his own cooking show on the food network plus a huge literacy advocate and ambassador!). Lunch was fabulous. He did a demo with some wonderful ingredients, ginger, bockchoy, scallions, garlic and sesame oil. Yummy. But the lunch was all preapred by the restaurant and it was recipes taken from his latest cookbook. The salad was a bed of wild greens with steamed kale and other groovy things on top. Curtis is a vegetarian so there was no meat, but everything else was wonderful. A vegetable pasta dish with his premier marinara. Yes, there was dessert. I guess I should confess now . . . bananaa bread pudding. Let's just say I took Viv's advice and splurged, but didn't eat all the dessert. It was really wonderful. Can you tell I had a good time? Tonight's dinner will be nothing as extravagant, but still good. We'll be honoring adult learners who are working on their reading skills. Plans show there will be over 350 people at it and by the end of the evening there won't be a dry eye in the place. After lunch Curtis came to our after school program and visited with our kids. They LOVED him. He really praised them for all the extra hard work they are doing to become strong readers.

Gotta go, friends. Just had to report. I'll respond more later. To all the lurkers . . . come on board. We're a great bunch of people. Take care everyone. I may not get back to you all until tomorrow.
Talk to you later
Kim
185/176/139
Cincinnati, OH
Old 02-09-2001, 05:54 AM   #86  

Hello everyone!

I have to say that it seemed easier today. Fitday.com also helped me to plan my eating better and to be able to see how I did with the Sugar Buster's way of eating. My mind does keep wondering occasionally to chocolate I keep pushing it away.

Connie, did you say that your grandchild is due February 14? My granddaughter is due February 20. Congratulations. Hope that all goes well.

Viv, glad to hear that the news regarding your dad was not as bad as you feared.

Everyone, thank you again for posting such wonderful recipies. I plan on trying each and everyone of them. Someday soon I hope to be able to give back by posting some of my own.

Thanks again,
Cheri
287/278/145
Indianapolis, IN
Old 02-09-2001, 06:29 AM   #87  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All!

Have an hour before SURVIVOR comes on and decided I better get in a post before it gets too late.

Took Michael shopping as he needed a suit for next week and something to wear to a Bar Mitzvah he is attending this week, as well as one on March 3rd - lets just say I was lucky I wasn't packing a pistol with me! UGH We did finally get everything in one place, a linen sports jacket, a black pair of pants, white shirt and shoes-I'm broker than broke! Thank goodness Lauren's dress she wore for Michael's B/M still fits to where she can where it, and my dress didn't cost much either.

VIV, your girlfriend is definitely a Rochesterian. If you have any free time while you are down here, you can call me, I'm only a little over an hour away from the Boca area. Nope, I don't live in downtown, only bums live there I live about 45 minutes from downtown-in the western part of the county. I walk down a really busy street for over a 1/3 of my walk-my lungs must love me when I inhale all the fumes. Miami Lakes is about a 1/2 hour from me to the North. Very happy to hear that your father doesn't have the big "C" and I'm sure you're more than relieved!

MSLIZ, you are correct-that's your starting weight/current weight/ and goal weight

COUNTRY, you had me laughing, I was reading the info on your scales and I almost couldn't follow!!! Congrats on all the losses!! The zuchinni loaf cake is on the AUGUST RECIPE BOARD, just click on the link and it will take you there:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000012.html

The next time I make them I'm going to make them muffins! YUMMY!! Just have to adjust the time they bake. If you make it, please, let me know how you like it.

ELLIE, thanks for telling us that the powdered egg whites works for meringues - I have some and have been dying to make some meringues but hate wasting the yolks. I think there is a boo-boo in ther meringue recipe on the Splenda though, so you may want to check it-the amount isn't correct.

JOYCE, glad to have you back on the board. Hope third time is a charm

KAREN, welcome to the board, glad you joined us. How long have you been following SB?? Please try to get on the board as much as possible, even if it's a quick hello - it really does make a difference, even just a small post would be great from time to time. Please let us know if we can help you out in any way!

FINALLY, Congrats on your loss - however it came, take it and run! We are working on a list of recommended foods to eat, like things for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's just taking a bit of time, so please be patient with me.

QUILTER, sound like you had a wonderful day and are going to have a fabulous night - can't wait to hear what you had for din-din.

CHERI, glad to hear today was easier for you, and it gets easier every day. Glad to hear the fitday site is coming in handy as well. Honestly, I was a chocoholic, and if I can stay away from chocolate, anyone can. Though on SB you are allowed to eat chocolate with a high cocoa content, but in Michael Montignacs book, he doesn't suggest doing so until you are on maintence - want to get that sugar out of your body and keep it out so you can get use to not having any.

Anyone hear from GLORY? I tried e-mailing her and they come back!!

Gotta run, will try to check in later, otherwise tomorrow. Remember, TOMORROW IS FRIDAY FITNESS FACTS so if you have anything you'd like to share with the board in relation to this subject, please, feel free to post it tomorrow!

Later!

Debbie
194/138/129

Old 02-09-2001, 07:17 AM   #88  
karen3000

Just read this interesting piece in the latest Consumer Reports - they tested Splenda in their kitchens. According to them, Splenda tasted very much like sugar when used to sweeten iced tea. However, they made the recipes on the back of the Splenda box and basically said to save your time. The cake had a bouncy, chewy texture with little chocolate taste and a bitter aftertaste. The sugar cookies they made were not good either.

I had been wondering about baking with it. Think I will wait until I hear from someone about a recipe that actually turns out good.

Debelli, thanks for the welcome. You always have such nice things to say to everyone. I'll try to post often.

For the weather watch, we had freezing rain last night and a lot of school closures today. This afternoon we had quite a bit of fog and at suppertime we had thunder and lightning. The rain is supposed to change to freezing rain tomorrow morning and then to snow - maybe up to 5 inches. Our favorite saying around here is "It's Wisconsin, wait five minutes and the weather will change." Hope everyone has successfully coped with their weather problems this week!

Karen
Madison, Wisconsin

Old 02-09-2001, 07:29 AM   #89  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Evening everyone,

Feels like forever since I sat down to click out a real conversation! Hope everyone is doing ok...

VIV...I'm soooooooo glad the report came back
C-free...I had all fingers and toes crossed for you!

BIG 12 conference???? IF IT AIN'T SEC, IT AIN'T ON MY TV!!!! There are so many teams in our conference that by the time we get through watching them, there isn't any time left for any other teams..Like GATOR, I did watch the OK games when I could...I've always liked them, and they deserved to win the BIG POTATOE this year...Feel free to join in our "PIGSKIN FOLLIES" when the fall rolls around...BE WARNED...we can get kinda brutal at times....we take our football REAL SERIOUS in the SOUTH....

KAPOLA..sorry about your car, but congrat on the loss...I was up .2 this week...not bad, but not good! I knew it would be up a little. Even though I didn't really cheat on our little excursion, it was still all "eating out" food, and it's always got more in it than you think it does..I've climbed back up and got my motor reving...gonna do better this week...I've already promised myself..

MsLiz, Deb turned me on to some really good
"triscuit look a likes" at the Whole Foods store..They are really good when you "doctor" them up with little morsels...

JOY..what a good time you're gonna have...I love a good theme party..Let us know how it goes.

GATOR...glad you found the Wileys...try it with greens. I use the bean and pea for that too...

ELLIE...WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?? We've missed you. Check in every once in a while..

JOYCE AND KAREN...HERE'S A BIG OLE SOUTHERN WELCOME FOR YOU Hope you hang around. We're a pretty swell group of people, and we grow on you once you get to know us!!

DEB..I just heard this saying and thought of you..."I REFUSE TO THINK OF THEM AS CHIN HAIRS...I THINK OF THEM AS STRAY EYEBROWS!!!

You all have to make Debs zuchinni bread..IT FABULOUS to say the least...I just finished my last little loaf yesterday...YUMMMMMMMMM

Better get off of here...I'm not succeeding in watching SURVIVOR and key clicking at the same time....

NITE NITE
Old 02-09-2001, 07:53 AM   #90  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

FINALLY...check your PM's
Closed Thread