Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:45 PM   #151  

Height: 5'7"

Woohoo! Angels are one out away from the ALCS! Waiting with bating breath (or some kinda breath -- after all, it's like 10:45 at night!) ...

So 9th inning, 2 outs. Ugh, Giambi's on first. Now Gary Sheffield is up. Let's see ... geez-o! He's on base! Now Matsui is up to bat. He's the tying run.

I really want to see the Angels go up. Really.

OMG, what if they go 18 innings like yesterday's Astros game?

(Yes, I realize I'm talking to myself, but dishes are done, laundry is done, dinner is over, nobody's home, dogs are fed ... and I am bored.)

ANGELS ARE GOING TO THE ALCS! Angels win!!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #152  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kath, here I am up at 4:00 because I can't sleep. I'm ashamed to say that I'm worried about finding parking today at the game. I'm a worry wart, often about things I can't control. We are planning to leave at 3:45 which should get us to the park at 4:30. This is a full 3 hours before the game so we should be ok, but cash parking is very limited. The problem is that there is NO street parking since the area is residential and many areas around the park are very undesireable, i.e. housing projects. So, I'm fretting when I should be enjoying the anticipation of going to the game.

I really do NOT like the Yankees but think we could have beaten them easier than the Angels. But, the Angels it is! Bartolo Colon is probably done for the year so that will only help us.

Well, I've been up for an hour and am feeling tired again. I think I'll go lay down next to Jim and see if I can fall asleep for a while.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #153  
Melissa

Morning. I have a hilarious story to tell you guys. Last night I was crawling into bed at 11pm, so tired and ready to sleep. I got Murphy dog up on the bed to play with him for a minute. He brought his rope toy (we call it Hairy ) with him. I was playing tug of war with him. Then he started slinging it back and forth really hard (he has injured others before by doing this) and when it did it hit me in the mouth. Apparently one of my front teeth sticks out on the bottom because when he hit my mouth it busted my lip! I started bleeding like crazy and thought he had knocked my tooth out. DH was ready to drive me to the ER to get stitches, but I told him I was not spending the night in the ER. I held ice on it for about 1/2 an hour and finally went to bed. It is much better now. I was really afraid that I would wake up with a huge bruised lip and have to convince everyone today that my husband doesn't hit me. But it doesn't look bad at all, just when I talk you can tell it isn't moving very much. It feels like there is a golf ball in there to me but doesn't look too bad. Anyway, that was my evening! I thought you guys would enjoy that story.

Vickie, I hope that you got some rest. I'm sure that all will go well today and that you will have a wonderful, fun-filled day!

Kathy, sorry to hear about your fancy-pants dishwasher. The popcorn seasoning only has 2 cals per serving, which isn't very big but it is only 2 calories.

Sandra, the seasoning kind of has the texture of the stuff that you buy to make ranch dip. But that stuff doesn't work on popcorn, I've tried. Anyway, it is really good.

I'm going to do some work I suppose!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #154  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Kathy - don't knock it - a non-stopping dishwasher is better than a non-working one - trust me on this. Sure wish mine would start to work (hard to do since it is in pieces all over the place?). Did dd like her dinner? (any leftovers for me? )

Angela - how are you feeling? Hope you are not too sick to handle the pre-school activities.

Melissa - poor you! Looks like the ice might have worked - and I'm sure the explanation about what happened is keeping everyone in stitches (no pun intended). Glad it was not too serious.

Okay Vickie - stop that fretting for goodness sake - you are to ENJOY YOURSELF TODAY and have fun. I can't imagine you won't find a parking spot if you get there 3 hours early? What do you plan to do with that extra time anyways? Hope ou enjoy the game! and good luck to your team.

I slept okay - but woke up at 7 am and immediately began worrying about everything! and realized I had changed dd's therapist appt to 4 pm on wed which DOES NOT WORK as it is the beginning of YOM KIPPUR and she has to be home eating dinner (we must finish eating by 6 pm). So had to call and make yet another change to appt. Then had to worry about where warm clothes were for ds (getting quite cool in the am so will need hat/gloves very soon) - then worried about Yom Kippur dinner and realized I had not planned anything nor did I get any groceries this weekend. Then worried about the breaking of the fast - going to gf's house, but need to pick up dd at dancing at 9 pm (called her dad to ask him to do it), then some miscellaneous worrying about work, and then had to worry about my eating - cuz I had not made anything last night (found a piece of leftover steak in fridge and added some frozen veggies and brought that for lunch).

My scale is reading very high today given all the goodies and salt I consumed over the weekend. I am trying hard to stay more core-like now but finding it hard of course.

I think I shall go to my favorite store (Farmboy) on way home from work to stock up on fruit/veggies and get something for dinners as well. Need to ensure I don't go HUNGRY or I'll just buy up the whole store! Need to think about what I will prepare for dinner tomorrow night (pre-fast) as I might need to do some cooking tonight depending on what I plan to make!!! (or leave it w/dh to do??? scary thought!).

Here is more holiday info for Sandra (and other inquiring minds!):http://www.aish.com/holidays/The_Hig...Yom_Kippur.asp or http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday4.htm or http://www.holidays.net/highholydays/yom.htm

Last edited by Froufy; 10-11-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #155  

Oooh, poor Melissa lip! Is Murphy grounded now? At least from playing with Hairy in the bed? I'm glad it wasn't worse, and Aaron doesn't have to try and explain himself to everyone.

I slept late, got to work late, and am now sitting here feeling VERY uncomfortable. My shirt is tight, the middle (bust) button broke in half and it keeps popping open. I've told my surrounding coworkers that this isn't a free peep show, so if they see it open would they please do the polite thing and let me know? Maybe I should run to the mall at lunch and buy a shirt.

The dishwasher came to its senses late last night and finished washing the dishes. I guess it just needed to act up a bit. Big DD enjoyed her dinner, so I felt good about having something nutritious waiting for her when she got home. Work has been making her have panic attacks lately -- I'm not sure what's going to happen but I think she needs to leave Walgreens and go to either a grocery store pharmacy or CVS.

This morning was my first morning to wash and style my new haircut. I fought the hair and the hair won. I spent about 30 minutes lecturing and pleading and begging and crying; it stomped its little feet and said NO, I will NOT behave and do what you want! I finally gave in and came on to work. I'll try again tonight. Fortunately once it's in place it lasts a few days, which is probably the only good thing about having dry hair that never gets icky. It might lose its shape, but it doesn't look dirty.

Vickie, enjoy the game tonight! I'll be watching for you. And stop worrying about the parking -- it'll be fine!

Frouf, you'll get back down as soon ... I know stress will make you feel a little out of control and the eating goes haywire. Hopefully you've calmed down with the worrying by now; you know how everything always seems worse at night.

I was supposed to drop the cat off at the vet this morning and forgot. I guess I'd better call and reschedule.

Happy day to all. I'll be back later!

Last edited by Katpo; 10-11-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #156  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hi! I did go back to sleep from 5:00 until about 8:30. When I got up I told Jim that I was freaking out about not having parking. He is sure we could get in some kind of lot but I feel nervous because of the neighborhood. You know, afraid that our car won't be there when we get back! He is so wonderful. I called a ticket broker and they had parking official coupons for tonight. Jim said we could but them so I just got back from driving Jim downtown to buy great White Sox parking for $55. So the tickets were free but the parking cost alot! I feel much better. We still have to leave at 3:45 to meet our friend to get the tickets. We are going to sit in the car with her for a little while until she has to go in and start playing. Then Jim and I will walk around the park and soak up the atmoshpere a bit. I'm not a drinker, so no temptation there. I do love the food though. I REALLY want a kosher dog with saurkraut and mustard. I think it would cost me about 8-10 points. I wonder if it would upset my stomach after not having one for over a year. I'd like to just let go tonight and eat what I want (within reason) but feel guilty after gaining 4.2 this week. I know I'm using this once in a lifetime night as an excuse!

Gotta go. I have to go figure out what I'm wearing. I don't think my Fall coat will be heavy enough. It's not shaping up to be as warm as we thought and it is ALWAYS colder at the lake where we'll be. I think I'll bring both coats and decide at the ballpark which one we'll bring in. I may bring a Sox blanket. OMG. I'm SO excited now that I can barely remember to breathe.

I may not be able to answer posts until tomorrow. You guys are the best. Thanks for all the encouragement to have fun.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #157  
focused and aiming

kathy, you will definitely know when we're in the area. i'd be upset if we couldn't get together, too. it's looking like spring before we come down. i'm not sure, though. we'll have to go to larry's shoes, too. i remember seeing one of his stores in ft. worth years ago. thanks for the tip.

vickie, enjoy your day. you and jim have your timing down good for a great parking spot. enjoy!!!

ouch, melissa! that is a funny story but i'm sorry you got hurt. thanks for the information on the seasoning. our neighbor next door's daughter works at the movies. i'm going to ask her if they sell any seasonings. she might be able to get me some.

frouf, what's up, girlfriend? i hear you telling vickie not to worry and you're our queen worrier today. everything's going to be all right. it sounds like you're getting everything figured out and necessary changes made. thank you for the websites. i appreciate your help. okay. i need to get off here and go do some reading.

have a great day, everyone!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #158  

Hey everyone,
you guys make my day sometimes. I can always find someone here that makes me laugh. Thanks Melissa.
Vickie I have nights that I worry and worry too,,so I know exactly how you feel. Im glad you have your parking now though,,,now you can have a nap before you go. As for the saurkraut, life is too short to pass on something you are really looking forward too.....go for it!
Froufy this is a busy week for you isnt it.....no wonder your up early worrying about things....
Kathy I wont peek! haha
Its a nice day here today and Im off to sit outside....
have a great day everyone!
ttyl
Old 10-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #159  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Talking

Munching on my celery sticks now as I am feeling a bit hungry and don't want to blow it! Ya I guess between Vickie and I we can certainly cover all the worrying that needs to be done (from parking to warm clothing!). And you should hear me advising others - no point in worrying - either it's something you have no control over so worrying won't get you very far...and if it's something you do have control over - you do whatever is required to fix it and just stop worrying (looks like Vickie took that advice with the advance parking ticket!).

And big ds just called with a "funny story" had a mid-term this morning and supposed to have a quiz at 2:30 today - so like 200 students show up to this class (many of which don't normally attend ) as teacher had rescheduled this quiz from last Friday to today - so he sits, and sits, and sits - and there is no note, no TA shows up and the professor never appears??? Very weird - he says most of the kids stuck around for about 45 mins and then left? I wonder what happened (and I told ds to email prof to see if quiz would now be held on Friday - and he says the prof yelled at the kids last time for emailing him - how's that for good teaching?)

Patti - it's pretty yucky here today - much cooler and just gloomy and gray - which I think added to the morning worry/panic as it was so depressing looking when I got up - I hate to see what it's like after we change the clocks - I hate all that gray darkness in the winter time!

..and I don't even have a warm fall coat (Vickie can I borrow one of yours?). I have a black raincoat thing I wear now - generally dress pretty warmly for work - and I can get into the car in my garage and get out in the underground garage at work - so if I just don't venture out at all I should be fine? ha ha ha.

I have been looking at this leather coat in the sears catalogue (with a nice fur trimmed hood) - and I think it would be great for a fall/spring coat - just before/after it's really cold out. Of course I don't want to spend the money ($250) and then of course I say I want to lose weight and buy a smaller size - but frankly I don't think that's happening in the next week - so I just might go ahead and see if that have it in the store so I can try it on at least, then decide if it's worth it!

My tummy has also been acting up today - I think it is absolutely rebelling about all the crap I ate this weekend - I am trying to do better. Tomorrow will be a bit of a feasting day as I plan for my fasting on Thursday - I feel like a bear going into hibernation - have to store up food for the winter - ha ha ha ha

Frouf

Last edited by Froufy; 10-11-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #160  

Happy winter, Frouf. As much as I complained about the heat this summer, I must say that I wear a coat maybe four times a winter. Usually I can get by with a sweater or sweatshirt. Since I wear jeans, boots and sweaters to work every day (in the winter, that is) I can stay warm.

Tomorrow is our first day back to the weekly mentoring at a local elementary school. They've been going thru testing since the beginning of school to see who would be in the program this year. It's for kids who need a little extra help, whether with reading or writing or sometimes just socialization. Some of them have a pretty rough home life and just need to know that there are nice adults out there. My little girl last year was from Iran and she had 7 brothers and sisters, and all of them lived in a 2 bedroom apartment. Her parents don't read or write English.

My girl the year before was the worst though. Her mom was 15 when she had her, and was an absolute total loser of a parent. She got up around noon, and my little girl had to get herself (2nd grade) and her kindergarten brother up and ready for school, and out to the bus. If they missed the bus, they missed school because mom wasn't going to get up and take them. I met her mom toward the end of the school year, and she said that anytime I wanted to, I could pick up her daughter and take her to do things. I started picking her up and taking her to McDonalds, things like that. Then one day she called me at work and said they were moving to Oregon that afternoon because they were getting evicted. She was 8 years old and already knew about stuff like that. How sad! Judd and I went to pick her up, took her to eat and then to the mall (she had never been). She and I rode the carousel horses, and we got ice cream and walked around and watched the ice skaters. She was in awe of the place. We were all in tears as we drove back to her apartment and said goodbye. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever done, and I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes just to think of it. I still call her from time to time (in Oregon) to say hello, and send her birthday gifts, etc. She is a cute little blonde girl with dimples. So cute.

Okay, while I'm already crying, I'll finish the story. It was my first day back to mentoring after the Christmas break of 2003 and I had to be reassigned to a new student. Judd told me that he had seen her, and she was a sad little raggamuffin. But when I got to the classroom, she was in a beautiful dress with Shirley Temple ringlets and was just a doll. She sat down across from me at the desk and laid her folder down on it. I looked at the folder, saw her name, and burst into tears. I had to leave the room, but Judd and the teacher knew what was wrong. Her name was Beverly, which was the name of my sister. My sister had died about six months before. Anyway, when I composed myself and went back into the room, the teacher asked if I wanted to be paired with another child and I said "no way, this is a good sign." We bonded immediately and became very close during the remaining school year. I still miss her like crazy. Oh and it was picture day -- that's why she was so dressed up the first time I met her. Her grandma had bought her a new dress and curled her hair in rags the night before.

So that's the story of the Beverlys. Two blondies who both touched my life in ways that I'll never forget.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #161  
focused and aiming

patti, sounds like you're enjoying your day. did you have a good thanksgiving?

frouf, thank you for the websites. i went to them and did some reading/learning. it sounds like you have a busy week ahead for sure. i know this celebration has to be very rejuvenating. i'm happy for you.

kathy, what a beautiful story. thank you for sharing with us.

i just got home from walmart. i decided to go through my closet and declutter. the problem is nothing is too big. i refuse to get rid of too small thingees. oh, well. life goes on.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:22 PM   #162  
Melissa

Vickie, I hope that you are having fun!

Frouf, sounds like you had a good day. Burn those calories with the celery!

Patti, I'm glad that I could make you laugh.

Kathy, what a beautiful story. They are lucky to have you as well!

I've actually done pretty well today. Shocking! It helps to have supper ready when you get home. I think we are going to go for a walk tonight, probably about 2 miles. It is a BEAUTIFUL day here, around 70 and just perfect, so I can't wait to get outside. Of course now my sweet tooth is acting up. But I tell you, those slim-a-bears are really, really helpful with that. They taste SO good and they are only 2 points.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #163  
focused and aiming

melissa, i'm proud of you, girl. i'm doing well, too. we're having veggie soup/venison roast in it tonight. i bought breyer's lite ice cream bars. they are good, too, for that sweet tooth.

biggest loser tonight!

got to go. soup's calling my name.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #164  
Melissa

sandra, we do follow in each other's steps, don't we? I don't know if I will get to watch BL, we might be walking. I need to do that more! Your soup soups yummy. I've had those breyer's ice cream bars too, they are tasty. I just love these slim-a-bears best though, I really feel like I am indulging my chocolate tooth. I hope that you have a good evening. Are you exercising during BL?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #165  
focused and aiming

melissa, i'm going to have to get some slim-a-bears. if you like them, i know i will, too.

i did 10 minutes on the treadmill while ago and my feet held up all right. yes, i'm planning to watch and walk tonight. life is good.

enjoy your walk with aaron.
Closed Thread