Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #151  

Hello everyone.

KT - I get that too. Every scale is different. There are two scales at the gym - the one I use for my tracking in the ladies locker room, and the one upstairs they use for the contest I am in. The upstairs one weighs less than downstairs. Floor surface makes a difference too.

Well, day 5 on the ab and menu challenges, and day 4 on the soda. I have to say it was a near miss on the menu. I was by the good restaurants for lunch. Saved there, then didn't actually get to eat lunch until hours later. I could have easily binged, but did not. It was a good day.

Congrats Sushi and Red for doing well. Everyone - hope to hear more later.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #152  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool working on Day 10...

Good morning all. Friday here, the start of my Day 10. Yes, I'm moving right along on the challenge, not seeing any progress on the scale, but I do feel tighter and there doesn't seem to be as much overhang around the top of my jeans... I also feel like when I put my hands on my hips I am starting to feel the muscle around my abs...uh...wishful thinking perhaps.... .... but I'm working on it.

I am starting to think...heh, it's about time!!!...that maybe what I should be doing is stop exercising to eat. This will be fine when I have the Desired Body but for now what's the point. I eat, I wear it off, I eat, I wear it off and the fat stores aren't touched...oh yeah, maybe for a couple days, but then it's, eat too much, not exercise enough and we're back to the old excess...

I'm also thinking that I just have to change my mindset. Start feeling less indulgent, less "I deserve this" and turn to food. I've got to get stricter with myself and this is reflected in ALL areas of my life. Ok, ok, so maybe I'll turn into a mean b!tch but I kinda doubt it...some would say I'm already there....

So, it's Day 10 and I plan on doing things a little differently today. It's starting with the fact that I can't have my regular morning oatmeal, 'cause I'm all out..

ktgk -- Glad to hear you're doing well. I wouldn't let the stupid scales confuse you. None of the home scales are really all that accurate, so you can't compare them. Just use it as a gauge to show up or down and approximate weight. After all, it's not the number that is important, not when we're talking a couple kilos at least. I just got on my scale and it showed heavier than I was when I had less muscle but my clothes were tighter. You've got to gauge by size and the look you want. Muscle is heavier, takes up less space, but does make you look much, much bigger when you can see it, even partially disguised under clothes. There's a way you move that says a lot. I guess you have to decide on the look and feel you want. Ok, just a little tangent there....just saw jolly's post now, after writing that...ditto way she says, specially about floor surface..in any case, never put too much account by scales!

Sushi -- You're really moving along well. With two of your challenges, exercise and squats, it looks like you could change intensity, duration, all sorts of things, I would tweak your challenge so you wouldn't have to add another one...but then, that's all up to you.

jolly -- Yeah, tell me about "crazy!" I am glad to hear you are still ok on the challenges, or were at last post. Good luck! -- just saw your latest post....way to go!!

dj -- Congrats on your challenges met. I hear you on the new challenge, though it sounds quite complicated. Food intake is easy enough..cough, cough....to calculate, but you must remember that it's the balance of your calorie expenditure as well that counts. If you're allowing yourself too much leeway on the top side, I'd be careful..that could easily account for a plateau, if not a gain! You don't have that much to lose either and it gets harder the less fat you have. In any case, best of luck...calorie counting is such a pain...I try to do it more by hunger and just allowing myself to feel the hunger comfortably instead of never feeling it or immediately thinking I have to eat a wagonload to appease every little pang!

Fish -- Hi there! Sounds good on your challenges. Keep it up!

sweet pea -- Hope you're back on track..or at least know where you are... And I hope you can get some good sleep.

Well, I'm out of time...Shad, princess, Apple, ny, curly, all others, best of luck to you! Hope to hear from you real soon!

Last edited by redballoon; 05-05-2006 at 07:29 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 AM   #153  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Day 5 is done.
I'm back in the land of instant communications but I'm dead tired. You'll hear from me tomorrow.

Congrats to those doing well. Lets just keep on pushing it uphill for the rest of us.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #154  
Never give up

Smile Day 10 is DONE!!!

Hi everyone. Not much action around here these days...or is that just me Well, I had a great day today as far as eating and exercise went. Even pushed myself to cycle to the gym after riding and jogged a fast 3K and did the crunches. The gym was closing early tonight and I was sore from yesterday's workout, so I didn't do any weight training. I did go harder on the crunches though, held them longer and did some with my legs off the ground. So, if I don't pig out between now and bedtime..which should be soon...I'll be okay, so I'm calling it a wrap! Whoopee!!

Shad -- Good to see you and glad to hear you're back in the land of instant communication. And sticking to your challenge as well! Excellent work! Hope to hear more from you. Just where were you again...off in the Outback?

princess -- Hi kiddo! How are you feeling? I hope you're better now. Sorry work and your boss have been such shite. What a great save to turn to food but make it something healthy. Certainly nothing wrong with that! There aren't many things you can turn to that make you feel better and a lot of the things either cost money or can't be done on short order. If you're turning to salads I'd say you're ahead of the game! Keep it up! Hope to hear from you soon!

ny -- How are you doing? Haven't seen you since your Day 2, about three days ago. Were you able to stay on your challenges? If not, don't fret, just start over. We have so many restarters, that's part of it. There's no shame in restarting! But, maybe you're still ok. Hope to hear from you soon!

Apple -- Are you still with us? Haven't seen you in a while....I hope things are ok....

curly -- Where are you these days? Don't you love us anymore? I hope you're ok, postings are rather sparse... Come back, Shane!!

marble, girlie, Caro, mez, carla, anyone I missed, please come back! Give us a shout! I'm all ears!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #155  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Well, busy once again but just want to say that days 8 & 9 both went well. Met the donut and water challenge. I need to adjust something in my new challenge though so I'll just start over with it. I'm sticking with the 500 calorie minimum deficit but I need to raise the max to 1200. I want my averages to come in around 7000 calories per week on my deficit. I also found that yesterday I had an 1150 deficit by the end of the day and wasn't hungry after dinner at any time. The day before I had a 990 deficit which is cutting it really close. I'm just trying to keep my averages for the week within a decent range. I sometimes over-do it with watching my calories and then trying to exercise off what I do eat so I'm just really hoping this will help.

Anyways, hope all are doing well with their challenges. I'll have to catch up on posts later today or tomorrow.

Red - I'm really just hoping to keep myself eating enough for what I'm burning and I definitely plan on keeping it as simple as possible. And I feel for you about being out of your oatmeal! I hate it when I run out of my favorites!

Joyce
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #156  

Hello all, just a quick look in to say all is well. No challenges at present, still on my break from full 3fc participation, still a nasty lurker... at least until my sense of humour resurfaces.
Tomorrow I'll sleep in my own bed for the first time in 15 days - what joy! And the cats come home Sunday morning. My fingers are crossed that Zen won't have started chewing off his fur again during my absence...
and to you all.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #157  
prepare for the BEST time

I woke up this morning to one of my cats looming over me from the nightstand, he was quite "vulture-like" at 5AM......the morning got worse, I HAD COFFEEPOT PROBLEMS.....(i have one of those pressure-pots with the pods, and it seems to be CLOGGED, WATTA MESS!!!) the tea just didn't cut it!!!

Hi red, I'm here, just busy from work and chewing my fur off in Carla's absence.

I'm working out daily, but i don't remember what day i'm on....but i'm working out daily....

hi to everyone, bblater.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #158  
Never give up

dj, carla, marble, hello! Just on my way out the door here. Saturday, Day 11, work day, which always is an open invitation to sloth and overeating. Wish me luck!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #159  

Hi all I am here briefly anyway.

I had to take a pause on following the menu. It was stupid really. PMS, and stressing over things I don't need to stress about. Sometimes, I look too far ahead and worry about the big picture more than I should, instead of just taking one step at a time. I took the dogs for an extra walk to make up some of it. Ah well, this too shall pass.

Take care all, and keep up the good fight. I will probably not be on too much the next two days, and then not again until Tuesday night. i will be gone at a conference. I have already hooked up with a friend, to get workouts in with her while we are there. Will check in then
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #160  

hello everyone

i have done 12 days journalling + 1 rest day
the binge free challenge is a bust - am giving that a rest for now

been busy with stuff to do with the house, reviewing a chapter for a book and other stuff.still having some trouble with sleep but otherwise ok

mable - well done on daily workouts

djstorey - you're doing good resisting the donuts

red - day 10 way to go

kt sushi and shad and everyone else - well done on your challenges
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #161  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Wrapping up Day 14 on food, Day 13 on exercise and Day 5 on squats here... well, it's all done, actually, even though it's only 5:30 pm.

I did increase the toughness of the squat challenge, and today I did 1000 skips on my new skipping rope, maybe that's a start of a new challenge. We'll see.
And I decided I'm not going to follow the current meal plan for another week. It's a 2 week program, and I'm finishing it today, I was just going to repeat week 1. But instead, I prepared a menu for the whole week based on the plan but incorporating things which I actually like and want to eat. So the last bit of my challenge will be to stick with that, and eat only that in only the specified amounts. No treats, snacks, whatever.

I'm also thinking of is applying the 21-day challenge format to a project... nothing to do with exercise or eating or weight loss, just a life matter, something I need to complete and something that has seen little work but lots of procrastination. Maybe a 21-day challenge would lead me to do some work every day, and the whole thing would get moving. I probably wouldn't manage to complete 21 days, but that wouldn't be so bad, as 21 days won't be enough to finish... hmm... I shall think about that... or maybe I shouldn't think (and potentially talk myself out of it), but simply do it...
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #162  

I am going to try this...

Why cant i get my ticker to appear here
bikerchickinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #163  
Never give up

Thumbs up Day 11 is being cleared!

Hi all. I'm going to go to bed. Just too tired after a long day at the office. I'm clearing Day 11. Even made my lunch and brought it in today. Not much exercise possible today but I needed a rest day anyhow.

dj -- I'm glad to hear that 8 and 9 went well. I thought you said you were not seeing a loss. That's why I was wondering about your calculations and thinking you should adjust them. Do you think you're burning off fat even if the scales are not showing a change?

carla -- Good to hear from you. How can you be a lurker? I can never lurk unless the posts are really boring....uh-oh! now I get it....

marble -- I hear you on the scary cat. I know how waking to something staring at you can be quite startling! Did you get that coffee pot fixed? Always have the paper filters and holder for those emergencies!

jolly -- Thanks for stopping in. Sorry to hear things have been rough. PMS is hellish at times, isn't it? That's great that you're thinking of getting workouts in while on a conference. Good luck there and try to enjoy yourself. Good thoughts on the taking one step at a time and not looking too far ahead. That always depresses me as well and sends me on a pity binge.

sweet pea -- Excellent on the journaling. Too bad on the bingeing. Why don't you change that challenge instead of dropping it. Say you are not going to binge on certain foods or something. It may help in the long run.

Sushi -- Congrats on three challenges met!! I have done nonfood challenges. If it relates to your eating habits go ahead with it. What doesn't relate really, eh?!

bikerchick -- So, are you joining us? I hope so! Are you in Pennsylvania? That's where I'm from. Hope to hear from you soon!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #164  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,
Day 6 is done with a full weights workout at the gym plus the crunches and 10 minutes on the treadmill. It's amazing how I can do this at home, but when I am away, I procrastinate like blazes. How silly am I? No don't answer that. I know the answer, I just don't want to hear you lot say it!! Bit like the old saying about keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than opening it and removing all doubt!!!!

So I have come back from Groote Eylandt. It was discovered by the Dutch before even Abel Tasman came down under. They never settled it. No one ever settled it apart from the Aborigines.
I was working at the Manganese mine. It is an interesting place to visit in that there is two vastly different cultures living there and respecting the rules and everyones space. Because the Aborigines live more or less as they did a thousand years or so ago, the vegetation and wildlife is almost original. The only imports so far are the Galahs - a grey and pink parrot which got let loose and bred some years back. Both the locals and the company are fighting to keep the canetoads out since there is a thriving population of native frogs on the island - some of which have been wiped out on the mainland.
It's an interesting place in that there is a great sense of community there, the townfolk are social and sociable. There is no alcohol on the island except for the ARC and the Golf Club. You have to have a permit to keep alcolhol in the house and you can not supply to others. You have to have a permit to go anywhere except the town and the mine. I don't know that I could live there even though the wages and conditions are great. If one could stay for a few years, they should be set up for life financially. However, I think I would need to get off every so often or go troppo (as they say round here). There is a golf club and a gun club. There is a swimming pool, tennis, netball, afl, soccer and cricket. They have live music and dancing at the club from time to time. You can go to the Recreation club. There is a shopping arcade but it is exceedingly limited. Only about 4 shops in it. There is a supermarket, but as everything comes in by barge once a week, by the end of the week the fresh stuff is looking a little tired. For all that, there is little sickness, not a huge amount of obesity and they seem to live well.

Gotta get going. Another busy day of working in the yard and house tomorrow before I fly back to Wollongong for another week. I'm home again next weekend and since it is Mothers Day next Sunday, the DS2 is cooking lunch. Nice one - wonder what we are going to eat.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #165  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Well, day 10 was good! No, donuts and lots of water. Day one on my deficit was good too. Had a deficit of 1060, so I'm in the range. Now that the weekend is here I'll have to really watch my water though. My weekday habits don't hold up so well in that area.

Red - Good job on day 11!
I wasn't seeing a loss for a while. I've been fighting for the losses lately but I finally got off the 192. I had actually seen the 191 a couple of times and even a 190.5 once and would jump right back to 192. I refuse to count a loss until it holds for 24 hours or so.

Anyways, the reason I'm doing this challenge is because I went back and looked at the history in my fitday, trying to see when I started struggling so much and found that it started shortly after I started doing Tae Bo regularly. Tae Bo burns a lot more calories than my stepping or aerobics so my deficits were getting really high. I also walk whenever I can now that the weather is better so I'm really burning more than normal. I'm guessing my problem might be coming from building more muscle from Tae Bo and possibly also from eating too little with the extra calorie burn. I'm just going to do this deficit thing for the 21 days and see what happens and go from there.

Shad - Your life sounds so interesting! Busy, but interesting. Congrats on your day 6!

Sushi & Marble - sounds like you're doing really well with working out! Keep it up!

Sweet Pea - sorry about the binge part but good job on the journaling!

Jolly - I feel for you on the PMS thing. I'm there too right now and it's always a struggle.

Everyone I missed for now good luck on your challenges. I have got to get myself moving so I can get my errands done before the 2 year olds nap!

Joyce
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote