Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #256  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Angry in between challenges....having to restart

Hi people. Thanks for the encouragement. I feel better but am eating poorly and not exercising. I am starting again tomorrow! Don't know what my challenge will be. Don't want to do the same one again...will sleep on it. At least I was able to get the interview done. It went well. I was interviewing the president of the company that started those sudoku puzzles over here. He is a racing fan, gambling actually, so the other guy at work doing writing suggested I do the interview since I do horse-racing-related stuff. I hadn't been prepared for it and was sitting here a couple hours before it wondering what the heck I was going to ask him. Luckily, a little bookshop in the neighborhood had his books and I browsed through them in the store and that helped me to start thinking up questions. I wasn't totally unprepared as I had read part of a book he wrote and had studied the Web site. Sorry, I'm tired, still bummed and disappointed in myself. I have to get up again...shouldn't take long. My past three stories have all had very nice things said about them, not only from the people I interviewd or their PR people, but also from some colleagues at work....now, if I could just apply myself to the diet, health and weight loss, I would feel a lot better. I wish I would just learn to stay away from the beer. It doesn't do anything for me these days but make me feel bad. Last night was awful really. The only reason I went out was because a new guy started on our desk, but it ended up going til late (me, that is) and the same guy who was really, really in my face arguing last time was at it again. It was bizarre. I don't understand it, what his problem is. Maybe his drinking problem...I don't know. That is more what has me bummed out...the fact that I feel lazy and had to cancel riding on top of a horrible evening out. I really don't need this. Do any of you get this? Have some colleagues that just seem out to get you for no apparent reason, other than perhaps their own skewed personalities?

Caro -- Thank you for your sweet words. They helped me feel a little better. Friendship problems can be awful. That was another part of my feeling so low. I used to really enjoy drinking with this guy. We used to, at least I thought, enjoy each other's company more. I don't know what happened to him, but the last two times out he has been what I consider irrational, saying things I can't believe he is saying, going on and on ranting like saying all these bad things about me and I don't deserve it at all! I think it may be an alcoholic rant...really, sad, but true. I hope your issues don't turn you to bingeing. It will only make things worse. I want you to try to get out and talk to people, even in little ways, and realize that our lives are enriched by so many people and they don't have to be family or lovers or even friends, but often just simply people on the street or in the stores you chat to. I always make a point to say hello and thank you and make a little small talk with people, connect with them. People love it and it really helps me. I don't know your situation. Can you get out of the house and do that? I hope so. Human contact is really important.

jolly -- Thank you too. I loved the happy thoughts. Got them early on today and they did make me feel a lot better. I'm sorry you're having friendship troubles. I don't know the particulars, but I hope you can either work things out or move on and be kind to yourself. Great going on the workout. You're way ahead of the game if you can do that! Keep up the good work!

Shad -- Bravo on the challenges!

dj -- Hi there! Good going on your challenges. I hope those blue skies stay out for you. Do you know the song Blue Sky by the Allman Brothers. It's one of my favorites.

Obsidian, chai, tea, veggie, REDEF ( ), Sushi, marble, carla, Fish, mez, Apple, anyone I missed! I've got to get some shuteye. Hope you're doing ok or will get back on track again. We've gotta keep trying! Take care and check on you all later!

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #257  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Good morning everyone. I had a rough start today. Woke up and found my coffee maker had poured coffee all over my kitchen counter! I have no idea what happened, I just know that I was mopping up about 1/2 a pot of coffee at 2:30 this morning! What a way to start the day! Of course, that made me decide to grab 2 donuts holes this morning when I got to work. That was the end of that challenge. Have to start over! Oh well, at least I've eaten a lot less of those things since I started this.

So... Donuts - day 1 tomorrow
Water - good, day 18
Deficit - good, day 1, 1031

Red - Sorry to hear you're having troubles! But, glad your interview went well. And yes, there always seems to be at least one person everywhere you work that makes you crazy! Just remember, today's a new day! Keep smiling and putting one foot in front of the other. You can do it!

Caro & Jolly - So sorry to hear about the friendship problems. I hope you both get them ironed out soon! But good job on your challenges!

Congrats to Shad & Obsidian as well on your challenges! Keep up the good work.

Everyone else - hope you're doing well! Have a good day everyone.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #258  

Good morning all. Despite being rather tired still from last night's personal trainer session, I did get my butt to the gym this morning. Feel better for it. I am slowly coming out of the abyss of mindless eating too. Better able to decide whether I am really hungry, or just needing "something else."

Caro, I hear you. Relationship stress leads me to binge as well. Just look at yesterday. Stress eating is huge for me - it always has been. But coming here helps for me to. I hope you can find something to take your mind off it - and do something good for yourself. Take care of you.

Red - good job on the interview, and I am glad the good vibes helped. I really hope you are able to get through this soon, and are able to feel better about things.

DJ - thanks for the kind words. And I am glad you are doing better with the doughnuts overall. We all have bad days, make bad choices, whatever - just kick it into high gear to make up for it. You can do it.

Everyone else - hope to hear from you all soon. Take care of yourselves, and have a wonderful day
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #259  

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was day 2 of water - today *fingers crossed* will be day one of exercise. I have been dealing with some massive headaches the past few days that just make me want to lay on the couch and sleep. I know they're my own fault for staring at the computer screen and television for so long every day, but that doesn't make it hurt any less once it starts.

Caro and Jolly hang in there! Friendship stress can be the worst kind. I know I can start to feel when I'm having troubles with a friend like I've lost my entire support network and I might as well just give up, but remember that isn't true!! There are lots of people out there rooting for you and whatever is going on with your friend(s), you'll get through it and be stronger for it.

DJ - wow! exploding coffee pot is not the way to start the day! I hope the rest of your day is better!

Red - it sounds like your drinking pal may have just become a mean drinker, like you said. It is sad, but whatever the reason, you don't need that kind of poison being spat at you of an evening. And yes, we all have that person or person that just pushes our buttons despite our best efforts to ignore them - yours sounds like either a mean drinker or a bully or both, and in any case you shouldn't have to waste your time listening to that kind of drivel. Interviewing the Sudoku guy is really cool, though - I don't know how big it is over there, but here it is gigantic - quite a few of my classmates play it in their spare time - *all* of their spare time. Good luck on that piece and congrats on the positive reception of the others!

Everyone else: hang in there!

Keep on Truckin!
Erin
chaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #260  
I restore Teeth.

I think this new habits thing may just settle itself in naturally! I :heart: fiber
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #261  
I restore Teeth.

Red, I know what you mean. We have a tendency to abandon our good eating habits in rough times. I recently dealt with finals week and I was just too bummed down. Don;t worry, gray skies do clear up!!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #262  

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I fell off my challenges AGAIN and I just haven't felt like restarting or anything. I started going to Butterfly Life and I really like it, but I'm not so sure its going to help all that much with actual weight loss. Of course, I haven't been doing any cardio yet. I haven't really had the time. But I'm still doing my walking. I can even string a few good eating days together. But the scale doesn't budge. I need to be patient, but ITS SO HARD!!!!
I haven't even been lurking so I don't know whats been going on with this thread, just hope everyone is well, and hello to new people!! I'll pop in every now and then, but I think I'll remain challenge-less for a bit.....
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #263  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool just want to curl up and sleep til it's over...

Good morning, everyone. It is Wednesday morning here and I am tired, but moving and will try to get to the gym. Even if I don't do much, I will get there and stretch. Of course, sleeping didn't bring any challenge ideas to mind...thank God!....if I were thinking about challenges in my sleep that'd be pretty sad. So, I have not decided on what to do. I feel like going super strict again, but think what I really need is something gentle, something to make me look at all the things I DO do, and not focus on what I need to do or haven't done. Focusing on what I do do makes me do better overall. It's usually that way when I'm stressed and overworked, which is what I am now.

There are too many problems at work that are not going to go away, namely incompetent and extremely frustrated and disgruntled people (very rightly so) that have the atmosphere completely poisoned. I don't think there is hope for the office, but I can try to make a way out and that is by continuing in the things I do that for me now are the things that fuel me, such as writing and cultivating connections and work relationships outside the office. Okay, enough of all this...

Apple -- Hi there. Glad to hear from you. What is Butterfly LIfe?!?! Something like WW? or is it a gym? I hear you on the challenge-less status. I would do it myself if I didn't feel obligated to keep the thread going. Also, I fear I would do nothing and just gain a lot of weight. I am going to make a challenge that is easy to do, but in so doing, will keep me somehow "in touch" with my values. You could do the same. Challenges don't have to be challenging. They are also about simply staying tuned, as in "Don't touch that dial!"

veggie -- Yeah, life gets in the way so often, doesn't it? My gray skies have just been continuing too long. It's like I said, a poisoned and hopeless environment, that makes any good thing look like dirt. Gotta get out...hope you're doing well. Glad you're liking the fiber.

chai -- Yikes. Sure hope those headaches ease. Do you have bad eyesight and are perhaps straining your eyes. I am looking at the computer al day too but I don't get headaches. Perhaps you should get your eyes checked. You could be straining them without realizing it. In any case, congrats on the water challenge and good luck on exercise. Thanks for the words on the coworker. It's not really about "pushing buttons" at least I don't think so. This guy has always been out to get me I'd say, always looking for an argument, comes on sweet and then does a Jekyll and Hyde switch. All I can say is that he must have major issues. Still, saying that doesn't help me. I am a helpful and gregarious person and always willing to give someone another chance. Also, it's very hard to deal with someone who is so inconsistent. You think they're ok, apologetic, whatever and then, bang, it happens again. There is a lot of underlying anger with this guy, the thinking that he is entitled to things he isn't getting, and it is not unfounded, but falling into a mindset of hate isn't going to help. I don't know why he takes it out on me. Perhaps because I give him a chance and he would it with anyone who did so. Pathetic and very, very draining. Sudoku is not big over here. The sudoku guy really has hundreds of puzzles. Sudoku is just one of them and it is a small market here. As he has no copyright overseas..the name is copyrighted in Japan...most of what you see has nothing to do with him. But, with puzzles there's not much you can do...

jolly -- That's amazing you could get to the gym. I don't know if I can myself. I am so tired, so drained feeling, physically and emotionally and I really need a day off where I can take care of myself in an atmosphere that doesn't take more out of me...but, I need the money. An opportunity for an extra shift is here and that's what I am running over. I don't know. I sure hope things get better. The talk with the new prez turned sour. I can see she's incompetent and somewhere off in la-la land. I can't work with that. Being around people you can't lean on or rely on is largely the root of my problems.

dj -- Were you planning on getting up at 2:30 a.m.?!?! Hope you get your coffee maker fixed! Don't worry about two little holes, but too bad about the challenge. Still, just jump back in. I am too. With water, you're almost through! Thanks for the encouragement too. It all helps...gets a weak smile out of me..
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #264  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Quick post.

All challenges met for Day 4 (I think) on to day 5. Going well so far.

I'll be back.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #265  

Hey all. Day 2 of my challenges well met. Yeah.

Apple - good to hear from you. I agree with Red on the benefits of a gentle challenge. Sometimes, you need to set yourself up for success, to find the strength to go forward.

Chai - Good luck with your challenges. I also agree with Red about getting your eyes checked. I know I always get headaches if I am having vision problems. I hope it gets better soon.

Shad, glad to hear from you, and good job on your challenges.

Red - I don't know what to say. Wish I could fly over and give you a hug, or a better job, or a winning lottery ticket or something. I am sorry things are still so rough, and I hope for only the best for you soon.

I think I am going to sit outside a bit with the hounds. I just got back from my first bike ride with the club I joined (and actually my first ride of the year!). We did 15 miles in an hour, and I am whipped! Have a good night all
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #266  

Red, I'm sorry to see you so blue. No help from here, I'm afraid - at this point it's about all I can do to keep my head above water. My best advice, in the short term at least: try to keep your cool (lots of "ohm" and deep breathing), spend plenty of quality time with the cats and Heidi, and stay away from bars and beer for a while. Take your frustrations out on accumulated clutter and delinquent lurking fat chicks who never post any more (nice target on my back, right?). Good luck, old pal.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:14 AM   #267  

Red and Jolly, you are right. I'm going to try and come up with something simple. I have been working on 30 min of exercise and I feel like that's pretty ingrained at this point, even though I can't seem to complete a 21 day challenge for it. I'm cramming it in on days I used to give in to laziness. I feel like I've made that comittment. So I don't know what else to choose right now. Well, I can think of lots of hard things, but nothing simple. I'll sleep on it. But thanks again. I really appreciate you guys and I can't totally leave because I've really grown to care about you all! And then Carla pops in and....
Butterfly Life is a Ladies only gym similar to Curves. They have a 15 min circuit that you are supposed to do twice. Weight machines and mini-tramps to keep the blood pumping. Plus they have "classes" which turn out to be videos that you can join in on if someone has already started, or if no one else is doing one, you can start which ever you want. I did half a yoga, it was OK, but I prefer a live instructor who can tell you when you are doing something incorrectly. At least as far as yoga goes...I am reluctant to go every day but my husband says I should and alternate lower body and upper body. I agree, it's just not always possible. So, I've been going for a week....I need to be patient....I'm not even sore so I need to step it up....
I'm rambling....see you all tomorrow...
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #268  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Hi all! Did good on challenges yesterday so...

Day 1 - donuts - good
Day 2 - deficit - good 1177
Day 19 - water - good I think water is getting easier now that it's getting hot!

This weather here has been crazy! We seem to have gone straight from winter to summer. A couple of weeks ago we were in the low 50's and now we are in the upper 80's. I have not had enough time to get used to it and working out is getting hard. I can only work out in the afternoon when my 2 year old goes down for his nap and it's so hot! Of course, we have no air conditioning, just lots of fans all over the house. Oh well, guess I shouldn't complain. We've been known to get snow in July on occasion so I'll try to enjoy the heat while it's here.

Red - sure hope your feeling a little better! Keep working on the positives. And yes, I did get up at 2:30 on purpose. That's what time I get up for work (one of the other downsides to working in a donut shop!) Even though I'm pretty used to getting up early, finding my coffee all over the counter really threw me! I just want to sit and drink my coffee and wake up slowly. Cleaning my kitchen at that time of the morning wasn't really on my list of things to do!

Apple - good job on switching out lazy days for exercise! Keep it up!

Jolly - wow! 15 miles in an hour is great. Good Job!

Vegie - glad to hear you're loving that fiber!

Have a good day everyone!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #269  
I restore Teeth.

You know, I really haven't came a habit that's hard enough so that I challenge myself, but yet, if I do- its not possible! (like getting enough protein- I don't like beans, but buying meat and cheese is just too expensive and cheese is fattening! An all vegetable diet is expensive too, since I have to eat more in order to feel full) I like my fiber plan, but it almost never allows me to eat out or anything. (That's okay, because I can't quite afford eating out either.) I guess thats why I chose this one. I'm on day 3!!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #270  

S/C/G: 218/216/169

Height: 5`7

Day 3 water challenge, did good yesterday. Finally broke my 2 week stick at 186, one pound...I`ll take it.

I am proud to report, I did it, I exercised this morning! 30 minutes on the elliptical, I havent been on that machine since last summer! I wasnt sure I would get through 15 minutes, but I went to 30 and it feels sooo good! I have to keep it up. I can sit here and starve myself and lose one pound a week, if I`m lucky. Or start moving and see some actual results.

Red- sorry to hear of your troubles. Seems like a lot of us are having trouble keeping our heads up. I keep telling myself "this will make me stronger" but sometimes it`s so hard to believe. My issues are tough to explain. Well, not really, just hard for me to share. It`s not just friendship. Issues of the heart, big decisions to make. Follow my heart or follow my head... just a bad situation. The good thing is I havent cried since Saturday I`m going to get through this, and so are you with the stress you`re dealing with. And we will be stronger!

I think with your coworker lashing out when he drinks, theres something else going on and he`s taking it out on others. I`m just like that now. I`ve always been a happy drunk, but now, it`s really bad. I flipped on my brother when we all went out Saturday night, it was very ugly. I went out of my way to piss him off and ***** him out about his life....he hasn`t talked to me since. It`s been like that whenever I drink for the last month. I snap at whoever crosses my path, I`m arrogant and mean and then I turn emotional and cry. I simply CANNOT drink right now at all. And usually on people I love or care about (sister, mother, close friends). They`ve all had a piece of my anger this last month. Probably because that anger cant go to the person who`s bothering me.

I hope things get better for all of us having trouble.

Thanks to Jolly, Chai and DJ for the kind words

Apple- I think Red once made a challenge to do some organizing/cleaning for a bit everyday. I had one where I would clean the house before I`d get on the computer in the morning (that lasted like 2 days lol) So even if it`s not related to weight loss, take a break from those types of challenges and try something small in another area. I`m sure you`ll think of something! Good luck to you.

And everyone hanging in there with their challenges, lots of luck and keep up the good work.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
Caro30 is offline   Reply With Quote