Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
When I was a child, 6 or so, we had rhubard growing in our yard. I don't know where it came from. I don't think my parents were into planting back then. We used to cut it, stick it in the sugar bowl, and eat it. Mom never made anything with it. Never had it since. I don't even remember what it tasted like, I just liked it because it had sugar on it. LOL

Buh Bye Aunt Flo! See you not too soon!
Carol Sue that's what my husband said he did as a child in England!
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Rosinate! Congratulations on winning the New Year New You Challenge! You did great. I also participated, but did not lose. I think challenges stress me out too much. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in 2008. I agree with you that lower carb is the best way to control blood sugar. I'm looking forward to hearing more than you're doing to reach your goals.

Welcome!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #48  

Welcome Rosinante and welcome back pattygirl! Happy weekend all.....one week to go and England-bound.

We went clothes shopping for hubs' grandkids last night to take as gifts and found the cutest things for them. There is so much more available now than when my kids were little. We went to eat first for my fried food fix (it's been 2.5 months since the birthday disappointment at same restaurant). It was so much better this time and I didn't want to eat as much. I managed 2/3 of my order (wings and fries) and brought the rest home. And the good news is my weight was the same this morn as yesterday's....139.6. Still not back to my pb, but I'm not too worried about it. As soon as I can get out in garden every day, it will start going down again. And I'm not at work so no sausage mcmuffins

Yesterday's menu...
Break - sausage mcmuffin
Lunch - 1/2 serving spinach fettuccine w/chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta
Dinner - 6 fried wings, and fries, no adult beverage (I was driving . )

Edited to add: I just saw that my weight was actually 0.2 less than yesterday! ( but same as Thursday)

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 05-21-2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Add
Old 05-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #49  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Wbh and PQ, thank you for the welcomes!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Rosinante Welcome!!!! I look forward to get to know you.

Food plan for today

B - 2 fried eggs, 2 sl Canadian bacon and sl cheese with coffee and 1/2 & 1/2, didn't do veggies this morning.
L - (RM)- Chinese lunch which DH and I half with egg roll and oatmeal cookies
D - chicken salad
S - cheese stick, 2 sl FF ham and Finger salad of raw celery, radish and pepper

Have a great day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #51  

Default Carb sensitive

Do people post what they eat daily on here to give us ideas? QUOTE=Jacqui_D;5258022]This thread is for carb-sensitive dieters who are following various low-, slow- or moderate-carb diet plans. Come join us, posting as much or as little as you like, as we share our diet plans, menus, recipes, exercise, daily progress, and healthy tips, and chat, inspire, motivate, and encourage each other! Please let us know what carb-conscious plan you are following, even if it's your own individual plan, and we will do our best to support you!

As for me, I am doing a modified version of Tim Ferriss's Slow Carb Diet. I like it because I never feel "starved" (as I always have while dieting in the past) and that's because I no longer experience daily blood sugar spikes and drops due to quick-burning, high glycemic index carbs. I also never feel deprived because this diet includes one day each week when I can eat ANY foods I want. And although exercise is recommended, it is not required. I'm not much of an exerciser, although I am getting better, but I try at least to walk for 20-30 minutes each day. The Slow Carb Diet is not for everyone though. Everybody's different!

The gist of the actual Tim Ferriss Slow Carb Diet is: For 6 days of the week, eat lean, preferably organic meats and fish/seafood, eggs, legumes, and non-starchy veggies. (Sugar-free Jello, 16 oz. of diet soda per day, and 1-2 glasses of red wine per day are also allowed.) On these 6 days, avoid breads/grains, dairy (except for cottage cheese), pasta, fruits (except for tomatoes and avocados), sweets, and starchy vegetables. The 7th day of the week (you choose the day) is a "cheat day," when you can eat anything at all as much as you want, including anything on the forbidden list. The cheat day is recommended to keep you from feeling deprived so you'll stay on the diet and to shake up your metabolism each week to keep it from stalling. Ferriss recommends eating 20 grams of protein with each meal, eating 30-60 minutes within waking up in the morning, eating the same meals over and over, having five low-carb days before taking a cheat day, and some other fine details, which I don't really know because I haven't read his book, The Four Hour Body, nor do I intend to. I'm happy with my own version of the diet!

I am a big believer in doing what works for you (as long as it DOES work), so I have tweaked the Slow Carb Diet, and my personalized plan looks like this:

For 6 days of the week, I eat
--meat (not necessarily lean or organic)
--fish
--legumes (including baked beans)
--eggs
--non-potato veggies
--veggie-like fruits (like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, etc.)
--nuts and seeds in moderation (a handful)
--peanut butter in moderation (not natural, just regular Jif)
--yogurt
--cottage cheese
--other dairy in moderation
--black and green olives
--condiments and sauces (including ketchup and honey bbq sauce)
--full-fat salad dressings (usually ranch)
--breaded convenience/fast food meats like chicken tenders (It's too much trouble to try to peel the breading off, so I just allow it since I don't eat these foods very often.)
--protein bars on occasion (for convenience--I've found I have to eat these sparingly because they can trigger my hunger)
--fibrous fruit and berries in moderation (I didn't add this until I reached my goal of a normal BMI. So far it's working for me without a problem, but I don't overdo it)

and I drink
--Water, often flavored with Mio Liquid Water Enhancer (I try to drink a half oz of water for every lb I weigh, daily)
--Diet Dr. Pepper (I'm addicted to this and I'm trying to stay away from it, but I still don't want to remove it from my list!)
--Green tea, sweetened with Splenda

For these 6 days, I avoid
--breads, cereals, and grains (including corn)
--pasta
--fruits (except veggie-like fruits)
--potatoes
--sweets

I count no calories. I count no carbs. I count no grams. I don't eat within 30-60 minutes of waking up. I don't eat every 4 hours. I don't pay attention to numbers at all. I don't necessarily eat the same meals over and over. (If I do, it's simply because I like those foods!) I eat when I'm hungry. I stop when I'm full, and I try not to eat late at night, although if I'm hungry, I will.

The 7th day of the week (I've chosen Saturday, although I'll move it for a special occasion) is what Tim Ferriss calls Cheat Day but what I call Carb Day. (It's not cheating on the plan but rather an actual part of the plan!) I can eat WHATEVER I want as much as I want on Carb Day, but again, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Plus, I do try to be mindful that the more quick carbs I eat, the more I am going to crave them, so I try not to go "all out" (although occasionally I will). I do gain between .5 and 2.5 lbs the day after Carb Day, but it's just water weight and it usually falls back off in the next couple of days while I continue to lose fat. It's all figured into the plan, so I don't worry about it.

So that's what I'm doing! What are you doing? If you are on or want to try a low-, moderate- or slow-carb diet, feel free to join us![/QUOTE]
Katie692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #52  

Evening all! It's a dreary, rainy day here in Ohio. So I did laundry and sorted through some of my Etsy stuff looking for a few more gifts for hubs' cousin and stepson's fiancée.....they're both into vintage.

Break - 1/3 quesadilla, 3 leftover wings, 4 steak fries
Lunch - leftover pasta/chicken, 1/3 quesadilla
Snack - pineapple
Dinner - homemade pizza
Old 05-22-2016, 02:59 AM   #53  
Happy Plodder

Hi pattygirl63! :waves:

So yesterday:
Breakfast: Bacon & eggs
Lunch: Tuna steak and steamed vegetables, natural live yogurt
Dinner: Veg stir-fried in olive oil, with a little brown rice, and a tuna steak stirred in. Was supposed to be chicken but when I got into the freezer, the pack that I was sure was chicken fillets turned out to be Cajun pork steaks. I'd have given them a go but when I undid the pack it looked like there were signs that it had unfrozen and refrozen, so ugh, no thanks.
Supper: Natural live yogurt

1.5lbs lighter this morning
Yay Harcombe
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Katie692, I'm not sure what your question is, but some people post what they ate to be accountable. It helps them, plus it does give others an example of what works for them. It's an individual choice.

Rosenante, I never heard of Harcombe before. Maybe it's more popular in UK than in US. I did find some information online and it sounds like a good plan and seems to be working well for you. There's one thing I don't understand about certain plans. On Harcombe, I don't understand why mushrooms are not allowed. I love mushrooms and have some most days. I don't understand why they would interfere with weight loss. I tend to not follow any formal plan, but take points from a lot of plans and put them together. I wonder if that's why I don't succeed at losing. I eat mostly protein and vegetables, and try to eliminate most starchy carbs. I always think maybe I just eat too much but am not sure why I lose a few lbs and then gain them back. I would really love to lose a large amount, the way you and some of the others here have done, but naturally, I wouldn't want the regain. Maybe I just have to go much lower in my food volume in order to lose. I didn't have to do that when I was younger. I try to eat a diet that doesn't completely eliminate anything, but limits the starchy carbs, due to my diabetes.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #55  

Good Sunday all! I'm off to my nephew's high school graduation after lunch today...1.25 hour drive

In other news, I have done some (un)scientific research into the connection between whey and weight loss. After three months of making hubs' yogurt at home and using the leftover whey as my liquid in my pizza crust recipe, I have concluded that it's helping considerably with our weight loss. I make homemade pizza almost every Friday night and consistently have above-normal drops on the scale the next morning (unless Aunt Flo is lurking). At first I thought it was due to dehydration or it was from extra sleep. This week we had it pizza on Saturday night and voila, hubs and I both dropped more than usual on scale. So I started a little Internet research and it does seem to aid in weight loss. It boosts your metabolism and thermogenesis, building more muscle, keeps you satiated longer, etc. In addition, I always feel like my body is super warm when I wake during night/morning after pizza. So, I thought I'd try it out in my fizzy drink I make several times a day....1 tbsp liquid whey to 1/2 packet true lime and 12 oz. seltzer water. I couldn't even tell it was n there! I hope I'm on to something. I'm going to use it in my buttermilk bread instead of the buttermilk and try it in pancakes and biscuits this summer.

Any one else incorporate whey into your diet?
Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #56  

P.Q. Thanks for sharing about the whey. I have whey protein powder and started drinking a shake this morning for breakfast and plan another one for dinner. DH keeps seltzer water all the time and would love to try the whey in it and see how it works out. I like knowing it helps with weight loss and satiation.

Well I screwed up my plan yesterday and counted it as a cheat day, but I did learn somethings from it. I don't think cheat days are worth it to me. I don't like the weight gain that comes with it especially since it usually takes me a while to get the weight back off. I would rather have a one carb meal a day on a consistent basis and keep the weight loss coming down more steadily. That is why I decided to use the 2 shakes a day in place of 2 CAD's CM meals for a while to get those lbs back off and then I will move forward with original plan. Good lesson learned. So no big deal.

It hasn't helped me too much at having to use a few cough drops during the day and when I have to use them during the night it doesn't help my fasting blood sugar readings either.

[B][/RoinanteB] Congratulations being 1.5 lbs lighter.

Carol Sue, Jacqui, Rennie and others Hi!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #57  

Keep us posted on the whey pattygirl. I'm going to have some more fizzy whey drinks tonight for my "snack."

Back from the graduation....skipped lunch and the cake/ice cream at my dads afterwards. Back home for a cold plate dinner. Hubs took it light today as well. Four days and school's out! I love my summer life ....

Break - 2 pieces leftover pizza
Dinner - hard Salami, sharp cheddar, dill pickles
Snack - fizzy whey drink x 2
Old 05-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieQueen View Post
Keep us posted on the whey pattygirl. I'm going to have some more fizzy whey drinks tonight for my "snack."
Snack - fizzy whey drink x 2
Please tell me how you mix your fizzy whey drink. I got ready to make my shake tonight and realized that I really shouldn't make a fizzy shake in my Magic Bullet. LOL Didn't want it going everywhere. Do you just stir it or make in a blender? Not sure I know where my blender is. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 AM   #59  
Happy Plodder

Wannabehealthy ~ I haven't read enough of the book yet to know why not mushrooms...OK, just looked, and one of the aims of the Harcombe Diet is to eliminate Candida, and apparently mushrooms feed Candida. Just had a quick look at Phase 2, and they're not allowed then either, although the thrust of the book seems to be that after the 5 days of phase 1, you can start to add things back in to your diet until you get to the point of either stopping losing Or feeling poorly again.

PrairieQueen ~ I'd also be interested in hearing more about the whey. I've got a couple of tubs of whey protein in a cupboard, that I should use up!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #60  

pattygirl Since I am using liquid whey from draining my homemade yogurt, I just stir it into the True Lime mix. Then I SLOWLY add my can of seltzer water.

Rosinante I don't know much about the powdered whey except that there are different kinds, but some should be better than none. I had a total of two tablespoons last night (and about 1/8 cup in my portion of homemade pizza from breakfast) and I was awake in the middle of the night a bit warm and with a bit of stomach pain due to digestion.....not cramping but the opposite as if pebbles were moving through the colon (sorry TMI for some, but I thought I'd better warn you). This may be due to the type of whey I'm using since it's not been processed after the yogurt straining. Tonight I'm going for the same amount but one drink when I get home from school and one drink in the evening and see how it goes.