Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 217/186/142

Height: 5'2

Rosinante, it does sound as though you have really found your niche! It sounds like a well rounded healthy plan and you are getting all your necessary nutrients. Good for you. I hope you get a good weigh-in.

I keep forgetting that I have my spiralizer. That is the only way I like zucchini. I saute it in some butter and top it with some grated parmesan cheese. Very tasty. I have a few small sweet potatoes. I wonder if they could be spiralized? I should try that. I don't like to get stuck on the same vegetables over and over but when I buy them, I want to use them up before they go bad.

Trish, I seem to fall asleep in a matter of minutes some nights, but if I wake up in the middle of the night then I can have trouble falling back to sleep. Last night I was really drained. I went into the bedroom at 6:30 to watch my soap operas that I had missed in the afternoon, but fell asleep and missed one of them. I had my stress test yesterday morning. I was there from 8:30-12:30. It went well, but it was draining because I am concerned about the outcome. When I fall asleep early in the evening like that I tend to not sleep as well overnight. I was up early this morning.

I remember when CAD first came out. My friend's sister was doing it. I don't like to hear "eat whatever you want" because I don't think anyone should consider a cookie binge to be OK. Just my opinion. I believe that most overweight people have some type of eating disorder that made them that way, and saying that a cookie binge is OK is supporting binge eating. I think the overall goal should be to work at breaking those bad habits such as binge eating. Breaking the bad habits is what makes it a lifestyle change. I have only started feeling this way in my old age, mind you. I can remember in my 20s when I was dieting or trying to maintain my loss, I would go all day at work with no breakfast or lunch, but I would have a big bag of M&Ms at my desk and eat them all day. I considered that to be OK because I wasn't eating anything else, and I didn't gain weight from it. Looking back, it sure wasn't doing my health any good, but I was concentrating on how I looked and what the scale said, not on nutrition. So, take what I say with a grain of salt, because you and I both know I talk a good talk but don't always practice what I preach. LOL

Now, as a diabetic, I consider my best rule to be no more than 1 carb at a meal. Reading an article online recently, it reminded me that 1 serving of carb is 15 gm. I don't weigh or measure my food, but I know that 15 gm isn't much. With the ADA guidelines of 45 gm of carb at a meal, that would be 1 cup of low fat milk, 1 slice of bread and 1 15gm serving of starch, such as potato or rice. Or a larger serving of just 1 item. That meal was OK when I was first diagnosed, but would raise my blood sugar too high, now. Last night I had chicken chow mein with white rice and I don't want to tell you how high my blood sugar went after that! I know I had way more than 15 gm of rice. I am really better off if I just stay away from those foods, as I have such a hard time keeping portions small. But that was what DH wanted so I ate it too.

I read and posted in that 1 meal a day thread. I would like to try it, but so far haven't been able to do it. DH cooks breakfast most mornings, and if I don't eat it, he would never do it again. Once I see those scrambled eggs I want them. If he didn't make them, I might not think about it. I know I'm making excuses. Things would be so different if I lived alone. I would be eating on my time schedule, not his.

So far I'm still staying under 200, by a thread, but not dropping any more. I don't know what it will take for that to happen.

Nothing from PQ for a few days. She must be having a nice time.

I think Rennie and Jacqui fell off the face of the earth.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 221/179.6/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I'm not sure Dr. Rachel really meant that anyone should binge, but then the diet was new and I really took it as she may have been showing that as long as all other meals/snacks were from the CM list that rather than falling off the plan because of guilt feelings of failure that it would be better to just count the binge as a RM. Perhaps later when they changed the rule of the RM to 2 c salad and a plate divided in 1/3 protein 1/3 carbohydrate and 1/3 low carb veggies was because people were using the RM to binge or overdo the higher carbs. I agree that anyone thinking the could do that everyday would be disastrous.

Rosinonte You are doing very well. Your plan obviously fits you well.

I'm doing a morning fast until after doctors appointment in an hour. I hope I can make it a OMAD kind of day, but if not I will make it an IF of 2 meals or one meal and a snack. I'm looking into Paleo again. I kind of like it although it doesn't allow for dairy. So not sure if I will actually do Paleo or modify it a little to include grated cheese.

BBL
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #108  

Doctor's appointment went very well. My blood sugar was down a little and my weight was down 2 lbs. Also triglycerides had come down. Sodium is a little low and he doesn't want me to take the fluid pill everyday any more. Just take it as needed. Doing Paleo should keep me from having to take them at all since I never retain fluid when I strictly do lowcarb.

Doctor said I don't have to take the Metformin. He said as long as I can control the blood sugar with diet and exercise we will continue with that. Good overall visit.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:37 AM   #109  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

pg63 - Well done, that sounds great!

I've weighed this morning and have gone up almost a pound since Saturday. Not quite understanding the plan yet, maybe next week...... On the other hand, my bodyfat is down 1.3% . I genuinely have not cheated.

Away for a week now, and hope to be doing a lot of walking, which should move the weightloss along. I hope. I love the improved mood, it's wonderful!, but I do need to be losing weight too.

Onwards.

Good luck, everyone
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #110  

Rosinate, I'm sorry to hear you had that slight gain. It's not understandable at all, but that's how it is with the scale. So many things can change it.

How are you testing your body fat?

Trish, that's why I can't just choose a particular eating plan and stick to it. Some say no dairy, and I want dairy once in a while. Some say no beans, I want beans once in a while. And on and on. I don't eat any of these things on a daily basis, but prefer not to eliminate them altogether. As soon as I see something eliminated on a plan, I set that plan aside. I have to be a free spirit. I lost weight before eating everything, but in smaller portions. I was younger, and didn't have the medical problems I have. Is that it? I'm so tired of hearing DH tell me that I can't do it. I want to prove him wrong!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #111  

Roninante Sorry about the gain, but I'm sure it isn't weight and is temporary. The walking should help. Enjoy your time away.

Carol Sue I know how you feel about eliminating foods as I believe there are nutrients that are important in some. I told my doc that I would probably say I'm following a modified version of paleo mainly because I believe some grains like lentils have a place in a diabetics food plan. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I also think dairy has a place in our diet although they would disagree as well as most low carb diets. However, when low carbing some cheeses are allowed. I think that is another reason I like the old original CAD. Nothing is forbidden if eaten within the guidelines of the plan. But I thin WW SF makes it easier to eat some of the things throughout the day that CAD wants eaten during one hour and I'm still not convinced that is good either. I guess that is why I fall back into eating what I eat within the guidelines of Intermittent Fasting. I like taking the best ideas of all and create my own plan.

We have a lot of people MIA here. I hope they are all doing fine.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Good afternoon everyone! I'm back home in Ohio after having a magnificent time in England. I weighed in this morning and I'm up five pounds....hopefully water retention as I feel very puffy today and my legs feel like concrete weights. I actually did pretty well with the food/alcohol intake but not nearly enough water. I had two creamy sauce Italian meals and one over the top French meal but walked like crazy and even skipped a few meals. I've been back to my own "boot camp" today, so I hope to see improvements soon.

Our side of beef was picked up today with the right cuts this year. Last year I didn't give them enough specifics and didn't get the meat in all the cuts I wanted.

Todays menu...
Break - ham/cheese on sourdough
Lunch - Cobb salad
Dinner - flat iron steak, sweet corn, sweet potato oven fries

Lots of water
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #113  

P.Q. Welcome back. Sounds like you did very well on your trip and those 5 lbs will be gone in no time. I'm sure it is water weight more from the travel than what you ate. I have that when traveling long trips in a car and I suspect it is the same for flying. Glad you had a good trip.

Now we just need to hear from our others MIA.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #114  

Evening ladies! It was a nice day here.....weeded a little and ran errands. Hubs back to work tomorrow and life gets back to "normal." A 1.5 lbs of water weight gone this morning....lets hope it continues to be shed

Break - bun less cheeseburger
Lunch - ham/cheese/egg on sourdough
Dinner - Cajun beef/andouille sausage casserole
Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #115  

PQ! Welcome home! It sounds like you had a great trip! I wouldn't worry about the 5 lbs. I can gain 5 lbs easily, without being on a vacation. However, being retired is like being on vacation all the time. LOL With all that you've lost so far, 5 lbs is a drop in the bucket, and you've already lost some of it. Now you get to enjoy the rest of your summer before school starts up again. DH and I were just talking. 4 th of July is coming up in a couple weeks. It seems after that they start having "back to school" items in the stores. Summer gets shorter and shorter every year. Our weather has been so crazy. April was hot. May was cold and rainy. Now June is going from hot to cool from day to day. One day we have the air conditioner running, then we have it off for a couple days. It's hard to plan.

Trish, I do fine not having carbs throughout the day, but I usually have a bit at the evening meal when I cook for DH. So it is similar to CAD. Not so much when we eat out, because I usually order a meal salad when we're out. The steak salad I order has steak fries in it, but I don't eat them. I would tell them "no fries" but sometimes DH will eat them. He is Mr Potato Head.

Today I am going to try to keep my calories low. I will have scrambled eggs for breakfast later on. That's a given. But I have a lot of salad fixin's in the house so I will make a salad for my lunch. A hard boiled egg in it for protein, or maybe some deli turkey. I don't much like this turkey I bought but will not waste it. If I have the taste of everything else with it, it will be OK. The dog likes it. LOL I would like to have talapia for dinner, so then I have to find something else to make for DH. He doesn't like talapia.

Last night I was reading through a book I have called Mindless Eating. It reminded me of some things, like, if something is sitting out where you can see it, you will tend to nibble on it here and there through out the day. And I find that to be true. It suggested having veggies already cut up in the refrigerator, so when you open it, you see them first. I don't take the time to do that, but I should. If I went celery for example, I have to stop and cut it up. Also, there's the smaller plate thing. It said if you put your food on a smaller plate it looks like more and you eat less. That doesn't work for me, because I go back for seconds. I think to myself "I just had a small portion, I can have some more." But I should be thinking more that I'm satisfied and don't need that second helping. It said that you should put less food on your plate, because you might just eat it all because it's there. And always leave a bit of food on your plate. That one is so hard for me! DH ALWAYS leaves something on his plate. My sister-in-law had a theory about that. When DH and his brothers were growing up, they were always told to clean their plate. Instead, they would always leave some food on their plate, in defiance. His mother always cooked way more food than was needed because she didn't want anyone to leave the table hungry. When I was growing up, food was scarce. We finished everything because we didn't know when we were going to get more.

So I don't think it has anything to do with which diet plan I follow. It's the behavior modification that I need to work on. My best diet was my first one, when I had no choice but to eat whatever my mother prepared, so I had to be diligent in limiting my portions and not eating between meals. I lost fastest and best on that plan, and I was eating things like Veal Parmesan and all these home made stews and casseroles. Nothing was low carb, low calorie or low fat. And I maintained that loss for over 10 years! When I got married, junk food was plentiful in our house. I lost my good control of my eating habits. Not the food so much as the behavior toward it.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #116  

Evening those of you still checking in! I know summertime is busy for a lot of us though.

Today was hubs' and my ninth wedding anniversary. I worked close to four hours in the garden today! (With breaks, of course.) I knew I was cooking an high calorie dinner and wanted to be proactive the weeds are slowly but surely waving goodbye.

Break - sourdough toast with organic peanut butter
Snack - pineapple
Lunch - leftover Cajun casserole
Snack - pineapple
Dinner - ham/asparagus/penne w/light white wine cream sauce, homemade white chocolate putting topped w/chopped macadamia nuts & mini chocolate chips
Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Good morning, All! Sorry I've been AWOL! Believe me, I'm paying for it! When I had pizza with my Dad, that started me on a downward spiral. I'm telling you, I have to be on or off my diet. For some reason, in my brain, there's no middle ground. So I fell off my diet. That's the first time I've been all the way off it (not just overeating) in over a year! My word, the body puts weight back on quickly! Thank goodness it leveled out at 188--I've been that for a few days now--but look how quickly I got here! And 200 is right back around the corner at this rate! When I got back home from Dad's, I intended to jump back on the wagon, but I am playing a catch-up game with our antique business, among other things. Excuses, of course. I am staying super busy but I have to get back on here and get back on my diet. For a while I am going to be extremely busy. (My DH is already trying to get me away from the computer now to come help him. He's a morning person. I'm not. That's my quiet time when I like to get on the computer to start the day, but he likes to jump right in and start working.) So I will catch up reading when I can. I've missed y'all! I can't believe how quickly the days flew by! That was WAYYYY too long! Anyway, I'm here, and I am jumping back ON the wagon TODAY!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-14-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #118  

Happy Anniversary, PQ! I remember 9 years. It was a looooong time ago!

Jacqui, glad to see you back, finally. I understand about being busy. You have this thing called a life. I have no life, so I have nothing to do but sit and post. I try to do other things, really I do!

Got a call from the cardiology office. My stress test was "slightly abnormal" and I have to go back on the 24th to "discuss" it. They gave me no other clue as to what's wrong, but when I asked if I could still exercise they said yes, so how bad could it be? Now I have 10 more days to stress out about this. Not a happy camper. I wish I had some idea what this is all about so I could google. LOL Then by the time I got there, I would know all about it. I did google "abnormal stress test" but most of what that said was blockages. In the past, an abnormal stress test just led to catherization. Nothing to discuss. Otherwise, do I just wait around until the blockage gets bigger? This is going to be a long 10 days. Right away DH started on me about the eggs I eat. My cholesterol went down in spite of the eggs, so I am sticking by my belief that they are not what causes blocked arteries.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Carol Sue, I hate that you are having to wait and worry. They must not be too concerned about it. "Slightly" abnormal doesn't sound too bad, they haven't stopped you from exercising, they didn't tell you to come in immediately, and obviously they are not concerned about the stress on your heart as you worry about it for 10 days! I've read that new studies say cholesterol in food doesn't cause the bad cholesterol in your body, so your eggs should be fine. I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

PrairieQueen, Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you had a great time in England and that you are home safely!

Hi Trish and Rosinante!

Rennie, come check in!

I'm down a half lb today! I ate late last night or it possibly might have dropped a little more. But hey, I'm just glad it's going in the right direction now!

WeeK 1:
6/12--188
6/13--188
6/14--188 (Back on the wagon!)
6/15--187.5
6/16--
6/17--
6/18--

Breakfast:
2 fried eggs
2 sausage patties
Fage yogurt with Mio
Mio water (sweet tea flavor, yum!)

Lunch:
Grilled BBQ Chicken
Diet Dr. Pepper

Snack:

Dinner:
Yogurt
Almonds
Mio water

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 06-16-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #120  

Good afternoon ladies! I hope everyone is enjoying the summer......even though I really want it to rain for my garden. I lost another smidgen of vacation weight......a few more pounds to go to get back to pre-England numbers. Today's the first day I haven't felt puffy, and allergies aren't as bad as they were when we first got back. I've been keeping on track except for the breaded/fried chicken strips and chips I had last night. I've been working outside every morning, so hopefully I'll get a whoosh soon.

I read over half of The Paris Wife on the trip home, and it so good. Almost finished.

Yesterday...
Break - boneless chicken thigh
Lunch - two boneless chicken thighs, pineapple
Snack - boneless chicken thigh
Dinner - chicken strips, Saratoga chips

I had been craving protein all day.

Today...
Break - Amy's cheese/bean burrito
Lunch - garden salad w/bacon, lime dressing
Snack - pineapple
Dinner later - garden salad, lime dressing, soft shredded beef tacos/sour cream

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 06-15-2016 at 04:25 PM.