Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 217/186/142

Height: 5'2

PQ I hope Bro doesn't have hepatitis. Saying a little prayer for him.

Jacqui, we have tried planting a few other veggies with poor results so we gave up. We were paying more for the plants that the value of what we were yielding. The rabbits and ground hogs would eat the plants before they got a chance to grow. DH uses a small rototiller to plow the ground then mixes in some store bought cow manure. That's it. They are in the morning and late afternoon sun. He buys 8 plants. The main problem is you wait all summer for the tomatoes and then they start coming so fast you can't eat them all. Sometimes I will can some of them. Step-son cans, and sometimes I take mine to his house and we do them all together and I just bring home a few jars. I use them over the winter for chili, etc. I have heard that you can cut them up and freeze them, too, but I've never tried that. I prefer to eat them fresh.

I remember when Chickadeee had all that kale she grew. I love kale, but so do the rabbits and ground hogs. They don't seem to bother the tomatoes.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

PrairieQueen, oh my I'll be praying also that he doesn't have hep. I'll have to keep that in mind about the week before Memorial Day. Thanks!

Carol Sue
, oh that would be great to have canned tomatoes, but I have no idea how to can things. My sister cans and says it's pretty easy. She keeps telling me just to follow the instructions in the Betty Crocker cookbook. Or is it a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook? Lol, that tells you how often I use it! My mom had this cookbook, and she made sure both my sister and I had one too. My sis said that's how she learned to can and she always has canned tomatoes and other veggies for the winter. Aw, I really miss Chickadeee. She ate really healthy natural things like PrairieQueen. They would have had lots to talk about! I still hope she'll show up again. Mars too! And Bewildered, lol! I don't think I've ever really accepted that they're gone for good, so I always hold out hope they'll come back.

I did jump up on the scale today. Strange delay.

Week 52: High 181.5, Low 177
5/1--180
5/2--181.5
5/3--180.5
5/4--179
5/5--177.5
5/6--178
5/7--177 Carb Day

Week 53
5/8--177
5/9--178.5
5/10--
5/11--
5/12--
5/13--
5/14--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Fage yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Yogurt
Mio water

Tea Time:
Diet Dr. Pepper]

Dinner:
Sliced pepperoni with mozzarella cheese melted on top
Mio water

Today's Exercise:

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-10-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #18  

Here is how I can tomatoes. Cut out the top step part of each tomato. With the tip of a knife, make 3-4 slits through the skin from the top, meeting at the bottom. Put the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or so then take out. That makes the skins slip right off. Cut the tomatoes up and put them all in a big pot to simmer. Get them nice and hot. Sterilize the jars and lids either by dipping them in boiling water using tongs, or in the dishwasher on hot. Pour the hot juice and tomatoes into the jars using a big funnel. Do not fill too high. Leave at least 1/2 inch of space at the top. Wipe the tops of the jars with a dry paper towel to make sure they are clean and dry. Apply the lid. Cover the jars with a tea towel and wait for the lids to pop. That is when the lids will become concave down into the jar. If this doesn't happen, they are no good. Probably not hot enough. That takes at least 30 minutes or longer. Once they all pop down, add the rings. When you go to use the jar of tomatoes, make sure the lid is still concave. If not, they will be bad.

Here is a video of a woman doing it similar to how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kmTH_q1usI

There is another way to do it where you fill the jars then put them down in a water bath. I don't know how to do that one. You can google "how to can tomatoes" and you will get tons of directions and videos.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

Once you do it, you become a pro at it. It's not hard. It's good to have a helper, but our ancestors did this with no help! DH helps me.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-09-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Hi Jacqui and Carol Sue! No news from bro today, which means he hasn't heard anything. I have a hard time believing he has hep...that would mean he got it from a hospital transfusion. I think the symptoms are from a toxic mix of painkillers and antidepressants and alcohol. I am hoping for the best.

Jacqui canning is easy. I don't waste my time canning just plain ole tomatoes. I make pizza sauce, spicy ketchup, taco sauce, salsa, chili sauce, etc. It's just a matter of adding seasonings and cook time. (I never make enough pizza sauce.) I use online recipes and my Ball canning book.

Break - leftover pasta w/ham and asparagus
Snack - guac and seed crackers
Lunch - pizza quesadilla
Dinner - bdubs wings and fries

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 05-10-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typos
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #20  

Carol Sue, thank you for those instructions and the video! It's a lot easier than I had imagined. We're having a HUGE yard sale (mini flea market, lol) Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and we were going to put out some canning jars and boxes of lids and rings, but I'm going to show your instructions and that video to DH and see if he wants to keep them, just in case his tomato plants actually grow, lol!

PrairieQueen, you are a kitchen magician! It's a feat for me just not to burn my fried eggs and bacon in the morning, lol! I would think hospitals would screen extremely well for hep in any blood they use for tranfusions, so I have to agree with you. There has to be another cause for his symptoms.

I'm on my way back down on the scale today! You know, I'm thinking I might weigh a tad bit less in the mornings if I would stop drinking water in the middle of night, but hot flashes are killing me, so that's not an option, lol!

EDITED TO ADD: I love when my cat helps me type and even posts things for me before I'm ready to post them, lol!

5/1--180
5/2--181.5
5/3--180.5
5/4--179
5/5--177.5
5/6--178
5/7--177 Carb Day

Week 53
5/8--177
5/9--178.5
5/10--178
5/11--
5/12--
5/13--
5/14--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Cutie
Mio water

Lunch:
Turkey
Yogurt
Mio water

Tea Time:
Diet Dr. Pepper

Dinner:
Kroger fried chicken with the skin removed
Small salad with ranch dressing
Mio water (I just discovered sweet tea-flavored Mio! )

Today's Exercise:

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-10-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #21  

PQ my step son makes salsa. We don't eat much salsa here so I never made it. If I buy a jar of salsa for a recipe, what I don't use gets tossed. We just aren't into it. We don't eat pasta often enough to make it worth while for me to make sauce. I love cooking and eating so much I have always wished I had had a big family. Too late for that now. LOL The only reason we can is to use up the tomatoes. We used to plant 12 plants. Now we only plant 8, so we are usually able to keep up with eating them. My biggest problem is I love tomato sandwiches, but now I can't eat all that bread. Now I just slice them and eat them with my scrambled eggs or put them on my bunless burgers.

Jacqui, I don't think you can mess up canning tomatoes, unless the jars don't seal properly. As long as the tomatoes are hot, it will be fine. I usually just cut mine in fourths.

Our entire housing plan has a yard sale every August. We participate when we have enough to make it worth while. We have been putting things in the attic in preparation, but yesterday, DH told me he doesn't want to do the yard sale and wants to just donate everything. I am in favor of that, too. It's too much work for us, and the worst thing is getting rid of all the leftover stuff. The bigger things that are worth a bit we can try to sell on Craigslist. We don't really have much that's worth a lot of money. We got so lucky one year. A dealer came into our driveway at the end of the day and made a deal with DH for everything we had left. That was so wonderful. Nothing to drag back into the house.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-10-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui_D View Post
Carol Sue, thank you for those instructions and the video! It's a lot easier than I had imagined. We're having a HUGE yard sale (mini flea market, lol) Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and we were going to put out some canning jars and boxes of lids and rings, but I'm going to show your instructions and that video to DH and see if he wants to keep them, just in case his tomato plants actually grow, lol!

PrairieQueen, you are a kitchen magician! It's a feat for me just not to burn my fried eggs and bacon in the morning, lol! I would think hospitals would screen extremely well for hep in any blood they use for tranfusions, so I have to agree with you. There has to be another cause for his symptoms.

I'm on my way back down on the scale today! You know, I'm thinking I might weigh a tad bit less in the mornings if I would stop drinking water in the middle of night, but hot flashes are killing me, so that's not an option, lol!

EDITED TO ADD: I love when my cat helps me type and even posts things for me before I'm ready to post them, lol!

5/1--180
5/2--181.5
5/3--180.5
5/4--179
5/5--177.5
5/6--178
5/7--177 Carb Day

Week 53
5/8--177
5/9--178.5
5/10--178
5/11--
5/12--
5/13--
5/14--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Cutie
Mio water

Lunch:

Tea Time:

Dinner:

Today's Exercise:
Just remember that lids CANNOT be reused. You must get new ones every year (but keep the rings).
Old 05-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #23  

Carol Sue, I wish my DH wanted to donate everything. I would jump on that in a heartbeat! My DH has an Etsy store and a booth in an antique shop downtown here, so the better things can be sold through those avenues. The other stuff at the end of the sale, I am bound and determined to sit out on the curb for free. We live on Main Street so it won't stay there long. The only thing that may stop me is the weather!

PrairieQueen, good reminder! Of course, I may be putting the cart way before the horse. I don't even know if the tomato plants will survive once we get them in the ground, lol!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-10-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #24  

Back to school today with a sore throat and hardly any voice. . . Allergies flared up last night after spending half the day cleaning the laundry room and dog suite. They're two small rooms that are connected and tend to be the dump station for all things that you bring in but really don't know where to put. I found the perfect place for a lot of it ....the trash. (The dog suite is really the old farmer cleanup room that's been modernized with a toilet and sink.) the rest was organized and put away. I also cleaned the extra fridge and freezer that are in there as well. I found rhubarb from June, 2014.

Break - sausage mcmuffin
Lunch - Reds sweet potato/quinoa/chicken burrito
Dinner - Swedish meatballs, spaetzle
Snack - grape tomatoes
Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #25  

Break - sausage mcmuffin
Lunch - Swedish meatballs
Dinner - bourbon chicken, broccoli, brown rice
Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #26  

Break - sausage mcmuffin
Lunch - Amy's bean/cheese burrito
Dinner - grilled wings, Saratoga chips
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 PM   #27  

Oh my goodness, this yard sale is exhausting! The good news is I weighed 176.5 yesterday and 175.5 today. I don't think that's going to stick though because I had Wendy's chicken nuggets for dinner and usually when I have them, I hold water from the carbs in the breading.

Lol, PrairieQueen, rhubard from 2014? That must have been REALLY buried! I hope your allergies get better! I heard this month was supposed to be the worse in years for allergies. Are your dogs bringing in pollen or is it a dander allergy?

Well, Ladies, this will have to be a fly-by. Until my yard sale is over, I have to SLEEP!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-12-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #28  

Jacqui it's the pollen doing it to me. I have 100+ trees on our three acres, so just gong outside seems to do it. I'm usually not like thus but, like you said, it's bad this year.

It was the seniors' last day at school today....yeah! Quiet times ahead Auction tomorrow and 54 degrees! This weather sucks big time. At least I'll be out of the house. I've got an extra animal this week (DD's "demon seed" dog) which makes a total of 3 dogs/2 cats. DD and boyfriend decided to take a little vacation to San Fran and I got the dog a couple extra days so she wouldn't have to make two trips "to the country." Hubs is finalizing all of our England plans with friends and fam..he's so excited.

Hi Carol Sue!

Break - bacon cheeseburger slider
Lunch - bacon cheeseburger slider
Dinner - Cincinnati chili 3-way spaghetti
Old 05-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #29  

PrairieQueen, oh my, you have your hands full! Yes, this weather is crazy! My DH heard it might freeze tomorrow night! In mid-May! Yay on being so close to the end of school! I've never had allergies, but I think I've developed them as I've gotten older. I can barely breathe out of my nose it's so stuffy!

I didn't get to weigh this morning. I was up early and we spent all morning before the yard sale trying to clean up and get things out after last night's storm. I didn't even get to eat breakfast! I always eat breakfast! I have no idea what tomorrow is going to be like. It's supposed to be in the 50s and might rain. not good for a yard sale!

Hi Carol Sue, Rennie, and Sum!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-13-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #30  

Jacqui, why does it say "Not Found" at the end of your post? LOL

Today I told DH he better go get his tomato plants or he won't get the ones he wants. Good thing, because when we got there they only had 3 packs left. We bought 2 of them. 8 plants total. They are in the basement until Memorial Day weekend. If it's not warm by then we're in big trouble. They mentioned something about snow this week. WHAT???

Hope it doesn't rain on your yard sale, and you make lots of money!!