Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #166  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Chicky, I love Brussels sprouts, your dinner sounds yummy My Auntie has an iron like the black one sitting by the stove in her family room
Old 09-07-2015, 12:59 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Carol Sue, I don't know why I don't have frozen florettes, but that is an excellent idea, and the next time I go to the grocery, I'm going to put that on my list! As far as the Labor Day family get-together, I found out what's on the menu: hamburgers and hotdogs, baked beans, macaroni salad, chips, a pumpkin dessert (uh-oh), and cream puff cake. I offered to bring a veggie tray, so I figure I'll have some beans and franks, veggies and ranch dressing, and if I can make it past the pumpkin dessert, I'm golden. Nothing else tempts me. Hopefully, my daughter-in-law will not bring these amazing iced sugar cookies with fruit topping that she makes. I like your advice about just saying no thank you. I actually did that the last time we had a family get-together at their house, and she wasn't thrilled with me, but she didn't push me, so I will do that, if I can get past my own temptation! I just have to tell myself there will be other pumpkin desserts. I do not need that one. In fact, if I can make it until real Carb Day, I can pick up some fresh-made pumpkins doughnuts at our local bakery. That will be my reward.

PrairieQueen, thanks! Yes it really is strange! I fully expected to gain! And you know when I'm about to hit a milestone, like 40 lbs down or or something like that, and I'm looking forward to it, my scale will stall, lol! Never fails!

Chickadeee, I think you may be on to something there. Slow Carb Diet author Tim Ferriss believes Carb Day keeps the metabolism revved up, and I'd like to think that's true, and maybe it is! I eat sweets every Carb Day, but not always whole grains, and I wonder if that's the type of carb that fires it up. I'm half-tempted to eat whole wheat spaghetti or rotini again next Saturday to see what happens. I mean, you know, I'm willing to make the sacrifice for the good of science. I used to collect irons. I don't know why. I just thought they were so cool! I collect a few things though, so I decided to give them up when we opened the antique shop. In fact, I still have some cast iron ones and I'm going to post them on Craigslist soon. I spent today staging my foyer with things that I want to post on Craigslist and need to take pics of. It's quite an odd decorating scheme in there right now, between rustic tools, Victorian furniture, antique kitchen items like crocks and old irons, vintage jewelry, mid-century hand-blown glass, beer signs, 60's-70's license plates, turn-of-the-century books, old marbles, sterling silver, etc. It makes me laugh just to walk in there, lol! I just thought it was coincidental that you mentioned collecting irons and I was handling 6 cast ones just today! Italian sausage stuffed yellow banana peppers?! Yum!

Rennie, lol! Yes, we do all love you! As of right now, the plan is to wait till Saturday for Carb Day, although I'm afraid that pumpkin dessert may start making deals with the devil on my shoulder tomorrow, lol! But I really do want to wait for Carb Day. Having two Carb Days within the recommended 5 days waiting period may not sound like a big deal if I plan to forego next Saturday's Carb Day, or just going ahead and having one piece of dessert may seem reasonable, but I know me, and it's the little allowances here and there that I have to watch for! I have an all-or-nothing personality. When I start making concessions, I'm setting myself up to fall completely off the wagon. It's happened so many times before! Last night with the cookies, still on plan, it was Carb Day, no problem, good to go. Tomorrow with dessert, not Carb Day, not on plan, setting myself up for failure in the long run. I know my pattern, I know what to watch out for, and I have to nip that in the bud right now! It sounds like you had your own Carb Day today! Seeing your combination of sweet and salty foods so reminds me of what I do when I get carried away, going from one to another, back and forth until I'm stuffed! I hope TOM cravings ease up and you have a healthier tomorrow!

Hi Mars, Bewildered, Mary, and KatieCatherine!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #168  
maintaining since 9/2013

Rennie No worries about chasing me! After the past week or so, I've added a few pounds. We can do this!

Jacqui I laughed and laughed reading your devil/angel story. That is SO me! I think you had a great thought process and wonderful that the outcome was also great--You had your cake and got to eat it too!

Maybe today can be a practice of what lies ahead for the holiday season. I gotta admit, the times when there is a social occasion that is not on Carb Day is a big challenge for me too. I know that slippery slope phenomenon all too well. But feeling deprived can also be triggering. Is there anything there that you really really would like, or is it simply that there is a lot of various temptation & everyone else will be enjoying it? If there is something special, I will be satisfied with a bite, just so I can tell myself I had some. And if I really truly want a little more, then I can. But usually once there is the permission and no deprivation, I find the treat just isn't ALL that.

If it's wanting to join in and be part of the fun, I know I can get into trouble. Also I know I won't feel great after. I think being on this plan now for awhile, you might be more used to how it feels to eat just right, for your body' needs, and when eating for head and heart, the body just doesn't have that wonderful humming along feeling. So that good feeling can be motivating to forego the indulgence. That said, best to avoid the visual cues of treats are as much as humanly possible, lol.

I hope that helps In the end, it's all information & informs our choices down the road. These challenges sure keep things interesting!

Yesterday I did pretty well, no sugar, just somewhat more food that I needed. Sugar has a way of making everything else taste bland, so I'm glad to be done with it for awhile. I don't feel afraid of foods as much as before. My eating pitfalls are from eating to solve lack of rest, lack of time, and boredom.

Last edited by mars735; 09-07-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Breakfast- 1 egg omelette with peppers, onions, cheese cooked in butter, 2 sausage links, I piece bakery sourdough w/butter, Coke Life

Lunch - going to outlets w/daughter so prob a small Subway sandwich

Dinner - Cajun peppers/eggplant/chicken in cream sauces with a little bit of pasta

The small amounts of "bad" carbs doesn't seem to be bothering my losses on the scale.....as long I keep them in check plus I use organic and/or minimally processed

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 09-07-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rennie, I'm letting it go about Kim. Lots of people leave...I'm just surprised that she did. I liked to go read her posts when I got in the Atkins mood. She was so inspiring. She's probably fine and enjoying herself. If she went to a different forum, I'd like to know so I could follow her. Is that stalking??? LOL

Jacqui, I have another ploy when people are trying to get you to go off plan. Tell them you are too full to eat dessert, but you will take some home. Then if you want to stay on plan, you can dispose of it, or maybe someone else will eat it. If you really want it, then it's a different story. It's just that I have occasionally had to come up with some ways to avoid hurt feelings when someone wants me to eat something I don't want to eat. I just think that's so strange. When I entertain, I put out what I have and everyone eats what they want. I don't even say "Why don't you have some dessert?" I figure they can see it, and if they want some, they'll take it. At the end of the evening I bring out the take-out containers and tell everyone to take home what they want. No pushing. Actually, my DIL is used to me and brings her own take-out containers! LOL

Today I'm taking coookies over to my grandson, and we got invited to their cookout. Probably just them and us. I hope he's just cooking hot dogs and hamburgers and not going all out. I'm taking potato salad which I'm making as soon as the potatoes cool off. I'm planning on only eating a hamburger, no bun. See the paragraph below.

This morning, I signed up for a Thanksgiving Day challenge. Then I remembered, I'm not trying to lose weight anymore! I guess it's just in the blood, and deep down I will always be trying to lose weight.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-07-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #171  
~Rennie

Jacqui, yesterday was a crazy day. I don't know where all of those urges came from. But surprisingly the scale was down .2. It could be that I got a decent amount of sleep for a change. Felt good to sleep late. The three days I was off. I got up with my daughter at 5am, stayed up to take my son to the bus stop at 6am and was up the remainder of the day. So no sleeping in not even on the Saturday. I was reading over our old threads we really had it going on. I would love to see Missy, TwoTots, Pamels, DT, Gary, Steph and Cindi again on the threads. We had some others join us but they didn't stay long. I see Joe is back. I've decided to give the Military diet a shot again. This time with better preparation on day 2 and 3 with the substitutions already written down. I also wrote down some of the menus I posted back in 2013-2014. Hope I can get this mind together this time. It's still early in the month. And I would like to make some real progress. I think you'll do fine at the cookout. You always do. I'll bet your foyer is a collectors dream. Have fun. Jacqui you used to drink your pot of green tea with breakfast and dinner. Do you not do that anymore?

Mars, I am still running and getting more and more out of breath ... you can see me in your dust as Jacqui said about me a while back with her. LOL but that makes it all the more fun. I need to get away from the 174-175 number and stay away. When I was at 172 in 2013 Jacqui said that sometimes our bodies like to hold onto a number for a while and get comfortable. Well I have loss comfort with number (in my mind *sometimes* I guess) because I don't seem to stick to doing much about. But I still running behind you and Jacqui is on my coattail though she won't admit it yet My eating pitfalls are definitely due to lack of planning/time/boredom.

PrairieQueen, good job on knowing what you can and can't have. Wish I knew that about foods or should I say wish I even gave it some real thought, then I'd be losing and not gaining Keep up the good work

Carol no that's not stalking. When I leave 3FC and come back I look the people up that I talk with the most (that I don't already text) and see which threads they are on. I either join in or make my own. We like who we like and you can't beat great information, support and the accountability of some On challenges and weight loss - I wonder if we ever stop wanting to lose even when we get to a good number (the number that we want). It has become such a huge part of our lives. Even when we don't want to think about it there's that little voice that says, Go ahead you can lose blank pounds by then and the other - nope don't eat that or you know you don't need that

bewilderd, Mary, Chicky

Last edited by love2b150; 09-07-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #172  
~Rennie

Bewildered, glad you're back No you didn't miss anything. I was beating him and he stopped then I stopped and he text me one morning and says he has loss 4lbs. I'm like whatever ... So back to the drawing board I go. I'm doing yet another restart today hoping to get my head space in order because it has definitely been out of whack thanks on being my size. Like I said to Carol, I wonder if we will ever be happy. But like you said NEW WEEK
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #173  

Yay! Bewildered's back! Yep, it's a new week, and with your kitchen well-stocked, you will be back down on the scale before you know it! :

Rennie, congrats on being down .2! And you know what? You are starting to sound like the Rennie from 2 years ago! You are analyzing and planning and that's what you used to do! I love it! We did have some some nice people in the group back then also. I wonder how they are doing. You say Joe is back? I wish he'd pop in! He always had something informational to contribute. I hope they are all doing well!

Carol Sue, oh, that is a good ploy! I'll have to remember that. It could come in handy! As it turned out yesterday, I stuck to plan! I didn't even look at the pumpkin dessert, hoping for "out of sight, out of mind," but of course, people kept carrying pieces around on their plates. But I think my sister-in-law lost track of who had had dessert and who hadn't, so I may have escaped scrutiny. I did hear her ask her daughter-in-law if she had had dessert yet, and I quickly busied myself with my grandson to avoid the same question, lol! That's funny that your daughter-in-law has started bringing her own containers because she knows you so well! I laughed out loud when I read that you had signed up for a weight loss challenge without thinking about it, because that is SO me! I keep trying to remind myself that I am not in the antique business anymore and yet I get suckered in to auctions and buying more so easily, and then of course I have to sell because I only have so much space in the house!

PrairieQueen, yay on being able to have occasional quick carbs without it causing problems! That sounds ideal to me!

Mars, oh my, the holidays! They are truly a test of my commitment! I'm actually hoping to get through it a little easier this year. My DH has been testing me all along with how many treats he brings into the house, so I'm hoping I can handle all the Christmas candy, etc., that we'll have out in candy dishes. The hard part is we'll go from pumpkin pie and other pumpkin desserts to mint chocolate candy and cookies and the like and those are my two favorite flavors! I just have to keep reminding myself that's why I have a Carb Day, so I don't have to be deprived. But ONLY a Carb Day, lol! And since I vividly remember how hard it was to stay on track after I went hog wild eating all kinds of sweets on Christmas Day last year, I know that moderation is the key to not putting myself through that torture again this year! Good job breaking away from the sugar! I hope you start getting enough rest and things begin to normalize for you!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #174  

I weigh 185 today! I not only get to move my ticker but also add a little blue cheerleader! I'm so glad that not overindulging yesterday paid off!

Week 18: High 190.5, Low 186.5
8/30--190.5
8/31--189.5
9/1--188
9/2--187
9/3--188
9/4--187
9/5--186.5 Carb Day

Week 19:
9/6--186
9/7--186
9/8--185
9/9--
9/10--
9/11--
9/12--

Yesterday's Meals:
Breakfast:

Fage Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Bahama Mama sausage (no bun)
Baked beans
Veggies and ranch dip
Mio water (took it with me)

Snack:

Dinner:
Hamburger patty (no bun)
Baked beans
Veggies and ranch dip
Mio water

Yesterday's Exercise:
The gym was closed for Labor Day, and I stayed busy all day anyway, so no exercise.

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
3 link sausages
Mio water

Lunch:
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Large field greens and veggies salad, with turkey, walnuts, and ranch dressing
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
1-mile walk around the track, 4 miles on the recumbent bike, 10 minutes HIIT elliptical, 3 sets of 12 reps each on 5 back and hip machines and 5 waist and back machines

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 09-09-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #175  

Jacqu Way to drop those lbs! Barbecues and family get togethers were ALWAYS my downfall when I was with hubs #1....his family were such fantastic cooks and entertainers. That's where I started overdoing it on a consistent basis.

And hello to all the other soldiers doing their best at this "lifestyle" choice. I am soooo excited because I think my metabolism has actually been reset....if there is such a thing. I am not as tired at night and actually have to stay up a little later so I can fall asleep quickly. When I get up and throughout the day. I feel as if m legs are "burning" fat for lack of a better term. I dropped over two pounds in a week with pasta and sourdough bread eaten several times. I thnk there is something to burners being fired up to use the carbs.

Back to work......have a great short week all!

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 09-08-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #176  
maintaining since 9/2013

BewilderedYes that's me with Arizona Sister eating the salt iff of my sweaty hat. I hiked way up a steep canyon trail and a loud thunderclap chased me out fast lol. This was a good reward!
Looks like you are finding a nice, sustainable baseline WOE. So glad your scale is rewarding that!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #177  
~Rennie

Jacqui, my analyzing and planning actually sounds like the Peanuts gang, whah whah whah!!! I'm up because I didn't stop last night. AND TODAY oh boy I have just blown that straight out of the door, down the street and into the next city, smh. I don't know what gets into me. I'm going to check out an inexpensive gym tomorrow since I will only use the treadmill anyway. But as you can recall I will make great use of that treadmill. I told another 3FCer that my previous success has been due to me walking. When I walk I won't blow my burn on unnecessary junk. So that is probably what I need to do. I'm sure I would meet my name goal of 150 by my birthday in April if I did that. Jacqui, can you come just spend a week with me so I can eat OP I want to drop a pound every two days, GO YOU

YAY PrairieQueen for the metabolism reset I wish I could feel the fat buring/falling off, GO YOU

Bewildered, good job on the portion control My menu today started out like yours with .. B~deviled egg, multigrain English muffin, green tea, L~ deviled egg, fiber one brownie, 2oz cheddar ... then I came home and bam my day went right out of the door and on and on ... I ate a bowl of frosted flakes, Oreos, town house Italian herb crackers, and a fried chicken thigh. Then my little one came home and made a grilled cheese on white for me, smh ... are you and Jacqui kicking me out the door with the food? I have got to pull it together. LOL on Jacqui's new avatar, I keep looking for the old one and wondering where Jacqui is and who is this new person, crazy I know.

LOL Mars, I see you peeking Wow I have never seen a butterfly land so close to a person before (well I guess I still haven't). I think I have had too much sugar for one day. hahaha

Last edited by love2b150; 09-11-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #178  

Rennie, as I have said so many times before (all over 3FC) for someone sensitive to carbs, eating quick carbs leads to craving quick carbs which leads to eating quick carbs, and around and around we go! Your body IS sending you hunger cues for quick carbs. Even if you've had enough to eat, it's not going to stop if what you ate is quick carbs, so of course you are going to want a grilled cheese sandwich on white bread if you ate Frosted Flakes. Carbs beget carbs! There really is no reason not to have a whole grain (not just multi-grain but whole grain) English muffin for breakfast, but you have to offset it with protein, which you did with a deviled egg, but one deviled egg is probably not enough really to do the job. You need a little more protein and even fat if you are going to eat grains for breakfast. For example, have a couple of eggs and sausage with your English muffin. That will help keep you fuller through lunch, and then your rather light lunch of a protein bar, a deviled egg, and a bit of cheese would do a better job of holding you until dinner, or at least till a healthy snack, like a chicken thigh (with any breaded skin removed. If it's not breaded, go ahead and eat the skin!) Chicken is a great snack! But the cereal, cookies, and crackers have to go. I'm sorry! I know they may seem like they are satisfying your hunger, but run, it's a trick! They are actually causing your hunger. You can eat lots of wonderful foods though: eggs, meat, fish, cheese (even whole grain breads and pasta, baked potatoes *with the skin,* and fruit *with the skin* in moderation, as long as you eat them with protein), and filling vegetables like brussel spouts and broccoli and salad, etc. Fill up with fiber and protein (but do pay attention to when you're full and stop eating) and keep drinking green tea and water. (And yes, I am the one who drinks between bites, which is a great strategy, but I know you may be pressed for time and might not be able to do that, but do make sure you get enough to drink!) All you need to do is plan well (which you really are good at when you set your mind to it), stop giving yourself permission to go off plan (I know how hard that is! That's what I always have to battle because I am a sweet-aholic!), and eat enough slow carbs, protein, and fats so that you aren't (really) hungry! You can do this! I know you can! I KNOW you can! Oh, and I meant to answer you: Green tea is a cool weather drink for me. You'll see me drink it like I used to once it starts cooling down outside! Oh I hope you can find an inexpensive gym with a treadmill! Or check out your local thrift stores for a treadmill! Yes, I remember how you really get some miles in when you have access to a treadmill! I hope you can find a way! I'm still here, lol! I dress my kitties avatar up every once in a while, lol! The last time I did it was Christmas 2013. Since it's football season, I decided to make them root for my alma mater, Ohio State. I'm a huge OSU football fan! And NO, you will never be kicked out of any thread I'm in! I WUV you!

Mars, love the new avatar! It's as cute as it can be!

Bewildered, thanks, lol! Good job posting your menu and I'm loving how healthy it is!

PrairieQueen, thanks! And great job! What you're doing is working for you, and that's what it's all about!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 09-08-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #179  

Went to the pub tonight .... Had my usual grilled spicy wings, an extra light beer and my own pub fries (I usually just steal a few bites from hubs' plate but 6'1" athlete man ordered a harvest salad with chicken) we were all shocked. I'm already puffy so I'll get in three 12-oz cans of seltzer water before bed. Fingers crossed the scale is kind in the morning.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #180  
maintaining since 9/2013

Morning all! Still coming in for a landing.
Jacqui Just wow, you are totally inspiring me!
Rennie, I know that sugared up feeling all too well, lol. It's so much easier to kick it when you have some 'me time'. I hope you can carve out a few minutes in your busy busy days.
Bewildered Yeah, there's always tht head/heart hunger screaming feed me feed me! I'm trying to learn to listen to which hunger i'm having. But those voices are HARD to disregard! I thought of you when I was hiking that trail & realized just what you'd accomplished on your hike in the NW, with a lot more length and altitude gain than my trek. Strong work, lady!

Mary, how's the clinical going?

Waving hi to everyone!

Yesterday was much improved over previous week, but not quite there. We are having a heat wave & I just couldn't get myself to cook up my veggies. So I went to work without enough food. That always ends up with overcompensation in the evening. Today I will get the cooking done before it heats up.

Yesterday:
B mushroom omelet, whey shake/coffee
L salad/veggies/chicken/kidney beans, evoo
S Whey shake/coffee
D turkey chili
D2 pizza slice, pretty good-sized one
S broccoli, evoo, picking at turkey chili
2L raspberry/hibiscus cold tea/stevia
E steps were about 5000.

yay another sugar-free day.

Last edited by mars735; 09-09-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Closed Thread