Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #346  

S/C/G: 184/128/125

Height: 5'5"

Shannon and JayEll, I'm glad you are not getting the brunt of Dorian. It's a monster!!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My September weight is 134.4 lbs. :

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #348  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Fantastic, Dagmar! Way to go!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #349  

I seem to think that, after a good weigh in, I can eat all the cookies I want. Time to nip that one in the bud, as well as pour out all the diet pop I have left from the last couple of weeks.

So easy to slide back into the old habits. I'm quite depressed that summer is over and winter is coming. This year our fall quite literally "fell" from one week to the next. Still not an excuse to overeat.

Dagmar
Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #350  

Yes, I can't believe how quickly the summer has gone. We were 100 degrees on Tuesday, 84 yesterday!

Dagmar, I hear you about the cookies. I dare not open a box of snacks because .... munch, munch, munch happens.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #351  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I would like y'all's opinion.

For years, my in-laws have come to my house for Sunday dinner. I generally don't go "all out" but do make most of the meal from scratch. I try out new meals and use tried and true recipes. Sometimes things are repeated but that's usually because they go over so well. Recently, my sister-in-law and her husband moved to the area so we decided to switch things up and we'll go to one house a week, usually each of us gets one chance to cook per month and we often take the last Sunday "off." So basically once a month one of the women (or men because sometimes it's BBQ time) cooks for six people.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect something different each time I go to the others' houses? For example, my sister-in-law will fix spaghetti almost every time we go to her house (my husband and I often laugh--I wonder if we're having spaghetti). Her recipe is browning ground turkey and adding two bottles of store-bought sauce and tossing a "kit" Cesar salad. My mother-in-law usually throws together some type of stew (meat, potatoes, carrots) although last night we were served frozen lasagna.

Am I unreasonable because if I were making spaghetti, I'd make the sauce from scratch and I make lasagna from scratch (but my MIL does do hers from scratch most of the time). Am I unreasonable because I want more of a variety from them? A list of what I've made lately:
BBQ brisket and carmelized onion sliders with salad (brisket done in crockpot so pretty easy)
Chicken enchiladas with refried beans and Spanish rice (canned beans, rice from a packet so not all homemade)
Beef Stroganoff and green beans
Marinated flank steak with artichoke parmesan risotto and a salad of spinach, peppers spiced chickpeas with a homemade dressing

I'm always happy with what I get and I've never complained but I feel like they're just not trying and feel like I should stop trying, too.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #352  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yes, you are being unreasonable. Since you asked.

They don't have to do what you do. And you don't have to do what you do either, if you feel like you're going to too much trouble.

What you can't do is say, "I make everything from scratch, so why don't you??" Well, of course you can say that, but I know how I would answer you...

The point of getting together for dinner is to be together and be fed. The menu is secondary, I think. It sounds like you have created expectations that no one else shares. Just cook what you feel like cooking, whether it's more trouble or less! No competition, less stress. How does that sound?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #353  
Workin' It

Well... you may be holding yourself and them to an unrealistic expectation. If this were a once a year or so meal, yes, I might expect something different. But with it a regular event, that is a lot of work. My suggestion would be for you to not put yourself through so much stress for it, unless YOU want to for you. Jay is right, the together is the point.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #354  

Allison Do you like to cook and do you enjoy entertaining? if you do then do the dinner for that and to give your relatives/friends a good meal and a good evening out. Maybe they are not good cooks and don't really enjoy it so that's why they make what they make. Everyone has a different standard for food and entertaining. Please don't expect everyone to come up to yours - maybe they just can't do it.

Dagmar
Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #355  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Allison Do you like to cook and do you enjoy entertaining? if you do then do the dinner for that and to give your relatives/friends a good meal and a good evening out. Maybe they are not good cooks and don't really enjoy it so that's why they make what they make. Everyone has a different standard for food and entertaining. Please don't expect everyone to come up to yours - maybe they just can't do it.

Dagmar
That's what I've been doing. I do love to cook. And I like to try new things. I guess I'm just sad that no one puts out any effort except me. My Mom had a saying, treat your family like friends and your friends like family which to me means put out more effort to your family to make them feel special and be casual with your friends so they feel like family. Maybe I'm wrong.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #356  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
My Mom had a saying, treat your family like friends and your friends like family which to me means put out more effort to your family to make them feel special and be casual with your friends so they feel like family. Maybe I'm wrong.
I think maybe you have it backwards?

Think about the statement "I guess I'm just sad that no one puts out any effort except me." First of all, it's pretty judgmental to say you're the only one putting out "any effort." Too bad your in-laws don't meet your standards... And second of all, no one is making you do this.

Be happy that you are alive, in good health, lack for nothing, and actually have family!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #357  

I finally found a yoga studio that has a restorative yoga class on Sunday without the "woo" factor! Signed up for a class next month. I will go every 2 weeks if I can make it.

Dagmar
Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #358  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

We're off on a trip to Maine soon. It will be nice to get some cooler weather for a change!

Dagmar, take it slow with the yoga at first. I took a yoga class that was supposed to be "gentle yoga" and within a short time, I had to stop because the movements were hurting my back. That's just me, though--most people don't have this happen. My point is that only your body can tell you what's right.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #359  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
We're off on a trip to Maine soon. It will be nice to get some cooler weather for a change!

Dagmar, take it slow with the yoga at first. I took a yoga class that was supposed to be "gentle yoga" and within a short time, I had to stop because the movements were hurting my back. That's just me, though--most people don't have this happen. My point is that only your body can tell you what's right.
Thanks! I've been doing my own form of yoga for over 40 years so I'm quite familiar with most of the moves. The restorative classes are really slow and offer a bunch of supportive equipment, like blocks, towels, pads, etc. Most of the poses are done lying down and last for several minutes each. I have fallen asleep many times during the class because it's so relaxing. That's what I go for - to get a long relaxing break where I do a lot of almost nothing.

Enjoy your vacation in Maine Jayell! Are you going to the LL Bean flagship store there? LOL - that would be one of my first stops!

Dagmar
Old 09-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #360  

Enjoy your vacation, JayEll! I'm heading to the Sierras for one more overnight backpack before the weather turns. Slight chance of snow Monday night already at 9000 feet.