Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #436  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Working in the snow today and dreaming of being in Cuba instead! We went to the symphony (Tchaikovsky) in the snowstorm yesterday and it was quite well attended.
Came home to the slow cooker full of chicken that I'd prepped in the morning. Hoping to come home to a home made pizza tonite - hubby is working from home today.

Dagmar
Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #437  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Oh, that crockpot of chicken sounds fabulous! I made turkey broth from the carcass. Today I might make some soup with it. We got enough rain to blanket the mountaintops with snow, and to clear the air enough so that I can actually see the mountains! They are about 40-50 miles away.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #438  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Oh, that crockpot of chicken sounds fabulous! I made turkey broth from the carcass. Today I might make some soup with it. We got enough rain to blanket the mountaintops with snow, and to clear the air enough so that I can actually see the mountains! They are about 40-50 miles away.
My turkey soup will be made post Christmas with the carcass from the turkey we buy then. I tend to make the broth and the soup in one weekend and have invited my younger set of relatives over to share it. I'm going to try to bake something on that weekend - the last one of 2019 - probably whole wheat honey rolls.

Dagmar
Old 12-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #439  
Workin' It

I'm going to be making potato soup in my instant pot today. We boycotted Thanksgiving this year, so no turkey. We had spaghetti. It was relaxing, but doesn't lend to as great a slate of leftovers.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #440  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I'm going to be making potato soup in my instant pot today. We boycotted Thanksgiving this year, so no turkey. We had spaghetti. It was relaxing, but doesn't lend to as great a slate of leftovers.
Good to have a holiday from the holidays some years! I'll have to look up potato soup recipes now - sounds interesting and a good vegetarian alternative for some nights.

Dagmar
Old 12-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #441  
Workin' It

Dagmar - it was SO good. The soup and the holiday break.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #442  

Left over take out tonite. Working in a snowstorm most of the day. We are going to a concert tonite. I better have a BIG cup of coffee with my dinner!

Dagmar
Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #443  

Such a sad weekend. One of my favorite dogs - a big golden who I've been looking after since he was 7 weeks old - had to be euthanized last Friday. His spleen ruptured. At least he was only in pain for a couple of hours. He wasn't even 10 years old. The sweetest dog I've ever walked.

I had a bit of a cookie and cider bender Saturday night while crying my eyes out. For me now a bender is 2 cans of cider and a handful of pfeffernusse. As usual it didn't make me feel better. SIGH.

I'm taking tissues along tomorrow. Getting the other dog from Javier's house is going to bring some more tears. No more cider and cookies though.

Dagmar
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #444  

Sorry to hear about the dog, Dagmar. That's pretty young for a Golden
Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #445  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What was the cause, Dagmar?
Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #446  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
What was the cause, Dagmar?
He had cancerous tumours in various organs and his spleen ruptured.

Alice Apparently male golden retrievers rarely live past 10 these days. They are 20 times more likely to die of cancer than any other dog. These clients have had 2 other dogs from the same breeder - both died of cancer before they were 8 years old. The one remaining dog is almost 8 now. He has a very bad knee and I suspect he has the beginnings of bladder cancer. My clients like the "look" of the dogs from this breeder and will probably get yet another puppy from them in the spring.

I go for function in animals, rather than looks, and I will never get another purebred dog or cat from anywhere. Mutts are me!

Dagmar
Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #447  

Wow, I didn't know that about male Goldens. I am into function also, and get upset when people breed dogs knowing they will pass on problems.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #448  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

How are you all doing, as we head toward the last full week before Christmas?
Old 12-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #449  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
How are you all doing, as we head toward the last full week before Christmas?
but by my own choice. I volunteered to host my family's Christmas Eve do - 14 people. And I invited DH's family over for tea and cake after Christmas. And the rest of my family is coming for turkey soup at the end of this year. I am sticking to my maintenance schedule as much as possible - eating the same stuff, working out on the same days, and limiting extra work opportunities - and not getting hugely upset when i go off the rails for an evening. Those evenings are actually part of the plan too - to keep me from going full blown

Dagmar
Old 12-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #450  

Compared to your upcoming Christmas party, Dagmar, my life seems absolutely relaxing! And I never even sit down. I'm not doing much with decorating this year. We may have a few family stop by, but the plans are up in the air. I'm ordering new cat beds for Christmas. And I've been giving the three dogs leftover turkey soup in their dinner, to finish it up.

JayEll, how's it going for you?

Sunny today, so I'm on my way out to take advantage of it.
Closed Thread