Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations Krampus and Shannon on your losing streak.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #407  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Transfat - partially hydrogenated oil.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

Not my cup of tea, anyway. However much or little. I like Big Food's chemists away from my plate and my kitchen. And peanut oil is full of vitamin E for lovely skin.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #408  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Transfat - partially hydrogenated oil.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

Not my cup of tea, anyway. However much or little. I like Big Food's chemists away from my plate and my kitchen. And peanut oil is full of vitamin E for lovely skin.
I know what trans fats are. PB2 does not have them.

I have no problem with peanut oil or oils in general, but I don't necessarily need to have peanut oil in my yogurt and smoothies.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #409  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
INGREDIENTS: (PB2)
Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.
This doesn't really look like frankenfood to me.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #410  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
INGREDIENTS: (PB2)
Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.

INGREDIENTS: (Peter Pan Creamy Peanut Butter)
ROASTED PEANUTS, SUGAR, LESS
THAN 2% OF: HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS
(COTTONSEED AND RAPESEED), SALT, PARTIALLY
HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL
Okay, I read this wrong the first time. The PB2 is only peanuts, sugar and salt. But now I've seen Birchie's comment about Hydrogenated vegetable oils in the Peter Pan Creamy and I'm freaking out a little. I use a natural peanut butter, I don't think mine has any but now I have to check.

I think I'm going to try the PB2 in a smoothie - not as a PB replacement, but as an additive.

Krampus - I hope your event goes well!

I just ate my plain grilled chicken sandwich for lunch, same as lunch all week. I do better when I get into patterns. Been up since 5am so I'm hungry. DSS's cbc looks good - white blood cell count and other things all normal. On the one hand, normal is good. On the other hand, doesn't help us figure out what is going on.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #411  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

So a few weeks ago we were discussing Quest bars. DD is home for the weekend and brought a dozen with her as she says they are "da bomb." I guess I'll try on at her request. She says they're better if you put them in the microwave for a few seconds. I still wonder if they'll stick with me long enough to consider it a good snack or meal replacement.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #412  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
So a few weeks ago we were discussing Quest bars. DD is home for the weekend and brought a dozen with her as she says they are "da bomb." I guess I'll try on at her request. She says they're better if you put them in the microwave for a few seconds. I still wonder if they'll stick with me long enough to consider it a good snack or meal replacement.
I've been eating the chocolate brownie ones for a few weeks now-- I heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds-- they are my after school/ before gym snack-- they hold me for awhile but I'm certainly ready for dinner after the gym/yoga.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #413  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Saef: I also allow my fear of failure too much influence in my life, including my eating habits.

Last week was really stressful. I flew across the country for a three-day job interview, then came back to a mess at my current job. I tried to keep healthy habits the whole time despite my massive anxiety about the presentations I was giving at the interviews. I didn't sleep at all, but managed to not gain weight despite NO exercise. In fact, I am down to 138 again - back under my redline. I haven't been here for months, so I'm glad to be back.

I was feeling pretty good about my body for a change, then last night I went to an "extreme pilates" class at a friend's recommendation. The other three people were all quite tall and fit; the two women in particular had that whippet physique that I will never attain. Standing in the mirrors next to the 3 of them was almost comical. So of course I let that get me down, and I left that (very grueling) workout feeling like a dumpy little troll. Is my ego really that fragile? It's a bit pitiful.

Krampus: What is the event that you're prepping for? I'm sorry if I missed reading that during my absence from 3FC. I have a wedding of a close friend this weekend, hence the "emergency" boot camp pilates.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #414  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

JayZeeJay, I've noticed that while low-grade continuous anxiety will make me eat, outright panic -- a hurricane is coming, my father's dying of cancer, I've got to give a presentation before 300 people -- fills me with so much adrenalin that I back into the coping skill of overcontrolling my body, and I do not binge. Rather, I abstain severely. And lose weight as a result. Maybe you had something like that going on, too. How did you release tension? I make heavy use of hotel gyms on trips like that, such as those gyms are. I'll have a meeting in Orlando in August that runs from 8 AM - 9 PM for three days & am absolutely determined to work out while I'm there, mostly to blow off steam.

And I can also relate to your feelings in Pilates class. In my Pilates mat classes at my home gym, my consistent attendance has really helped me, and I am much more competent than my bodily appearance might lead an observer to believe. But the mirrored room in which the classes take place is a cruel place, with nowhere to hide. Every time the instructor talks about "long & lean," I want to laugh out loud. It's just not going to happen for me: I'm lying on a yoga mat with a pad underneath, not on Procrustes' bed.

Heck, I should just be happy when I get through Pilates without farting.

Oh, and Krampus? I want to congratulate you on your hard-won tight stomach, but going to bed hungry, waking up hungry, being unable to run, and all that? I can see why you don't see that as a sustainable way to live. I'm also unwilling to feel weak and voraciously hungry for days at a time unless I'm trying to survive in the Zombie Apocalypse. It's just not worth it, and my body would revolt and lead me into an ugly, animal-like binge.

Last edited by saef; 05-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #415  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Sorry, Ija. I was on the phone with poor visibility and an imminent family crisis.

ETA Sorry, Shannon. I didn't mean to make you freak out!

The SO's mother is fading fast now. His father rang and the SO is going by train in the morning. It takes all day to get there.

The DB and I are going in the opposite direction on Sunday to stay with my mother and to help with the extended family. I developed a list of survival rules when I was there a lot when my father was ill and I think I should recite them daily. "I do not eat Mum's cake." "I exercise every morning." That kind of thing. I'll be using my new pedometer and notching up unholy numbers (it's that kind of life) so that's good. But it's in no way a holiday.

Last edited by silverbirch; 05-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #416  

Krampus, about your statement about waking up hungry. Aren't we supposed to be hungry when we haven't eaten for 12 hours or so ? I am always hungry when I wake up and glad of it.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #417  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

There's hunger, Bargoo, and there's hunger. What is your usual experience with hunger? I don't mind a little hunger, but because I've been through an eating disorder -- specifically, anorexia -- in which I'd let myself go hungry for hours on end, just stringing myself along with endless cups of coffee -- I have experienced hunger that goes past 11. So, in my mind, Krampus was speaking of the ravenous hunger experienced by someone who sweats through a couple hard hours at the gym daily and is white-knuckling it through a desperate need for refueling that she's stoically putting off in order to fit in a certain dress. That hunger is really brutal and it is playing with the edge of illness.

Last edited by saef; 05-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #418  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Still with family in KY. I've been packing boxes and cleaning baseboards and eating a bunless burger with no fries at our favorite local burger place that I knew we would go to while I was visiting. Food and family are so entwined, aren't they? Surely that's not just us. I'll be honest, my burger (no bun, but with bacon, hot sauce, and some pickled jalapenos) was absolutely delicious and satisfying but I allowed myself to feel martyr-ish as I looked around the table at french fries and yummy, homemade (and probably buttered) hamburger buns.

Sigh. It was the right choice, but one of the times when the right choice wasn't the fun choice.

Weighing in on PB2 - I like it and use it, but the texture is definitely different from regular PB. I use it in my Greek yogurt, or mixed up on frozen berries. Something where the texture is hidden. I also am not a fan of the added sugar - I've gotten used to the non-sweet taste of natural PB, so that's what I prefer now.

And I've totally fallen in love with Quest bars. I don't eat them every day, but for the occasional needed snack? Perfect. I'm still trying out different flavors, but them am going to buy them online, since they're cheaper that way.

Krampus - You sound like you're in a perpetual state of hangry. I hope the event goes well and that you're able to get back to normal eating as soon as possible. As for me, I get hungry soon after I wake up, but I hate going to bed hungry and refuse to do it. I eat a very large dinner and that carries my through. It helps that I'm not a night person and go to bed really early most days!

Silverbirch - I'm so sorry for your SO's mother. And good luck on your own trip home! I know those rules of which you speak.

saef - When I was getting my undergrad in education, I took a classroom management class which covered different behavioral problems exhibited by students. Even then, I immediately identified with the "avoidance of failure" model. Interesting how it manifests in my life, from work to fitness to relationships.

Interestingly, just yesterday I went on a long run and had the thought that I'm never going to be the best runner. I don't care how fast I am or how I look, which oddly frees me to run simply for the joy of running. There's no need to excel in that area, so I like it more. Related to my perfectionistic tendencies? Probably.

OK, today is cleaning the basement! Yeehaw!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #419  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
There's hunger, Bargoo, and there's hunger. What is your usual experience with hunger? I don't mind a little hunger, but because I've been through an eating disorder -- specifically, anexoria -- in which I'd let myself go hungry for hours on end, just stringing myself along with endless cups of coffee -- I have experienced hunger that goes past 11. So, in my mind, Krampus was speaking of the ravenous hunger experienced by someone who sweats through a couple hard hours at the gym daily and is white-knuckling it through a desperate need for refueling that she's stoically putting off in order to fit in a certain dress. That hunger is really brutal and it is playing with the edge of illness.
safe, thanks for your thoughts. I guess the difference in us is that when I am hungry I eat. I do not let myself go hungry waiting for X to happen , if I did that a binge would soon follow. There are times I just want something, anything and I recognize that is not hunger, it could be boredom , anxiety or a feeling I need to indulge myself. Pamper myself, treat myself, after all look how good I have been . Most of the time I can resist those feelings as I know it is not hunger. Sometimes I give in to them and am very disappointed in myself.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #420  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I got railroaded at dinner last night. We had suggested to DS that we go out this weekend for dinner at whatever restaurant he decided. Then DD suddenly said she had a hankering for ribs. So off to one of several rib joints in town for dinner. I had been planning a salad with rotisserie chicken on top for dinner (we'll have that tonight instead). The prospect of ribs didn't really thrill me and I wasn't that hungry so I opted for their "classic BBQ salad" or some such thing topped with shredded chicken (dressing on the side). It was quite good and very filling and came with an incredibly good cornbread which I devoured. It was probably twice the amount of salad I'd have fixed for myself, but mostly lettuce with a little tomato, corn and black beans thrown in, so I don't consider it a bad choice, but the BBQ sauce drenched chicken on top was more than my body needed and thus my weight is up this morning. I'm assuming it is from sodium.

Off to a golf tournament today. Wish us luck! Thank goodness the weather is cooperating this week. Highs in the mid 90's instead of over 100. Even the outdoor graduation Thursday night was nice--never so hot that I broke a sweat AND a cool breeze as the ceremony neared completion. Did I tell you DS is #15 out of 438? Yeah, top 4% in his class.
Closed Thread