Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Michele What about termites on the salad? Allison said they taste like leaves so . . .

Just for the record I have eaten ants and grasshoppers and a form of locust. I will never, ever touch a grub or slug or any such maggot-like creature. I run from the room at that particular epi of "Survivor".

How about exotic meats and/or poultry? I've had guinea pig, alpaca, buffalo, elk, ostrich, rattlesnake, moose and bear. Most definitely not a vegetarian.

Dagmar
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #317  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I love ostrich and would eat it all the time if I could. I was able to avoid most "non-traditional" sources of protein while living in China, but I did eat a whole plate of duck tongues once. It takes A LOT of duck tongues to make up a plateful.

My boyfriend has a birthday next week and I've spent the last hour looking online for what kind of cake to make him. This must be a form of torture.

Congratulations on all the weighing in, maintainers! I did weigh today, although I'll record Wednesday's number. I was pretty happy at 123.6. We'll see what Wednesday holds.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #318  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I hate bugs. I hate to look at them, I really hate feeling one on me, and I can tell you it will be a cold day in h*ll before I every voluntarily put one in my mouth. I am definitely not an "alternative" protein food person ("just say no to organ meats") though I'm willing to try just about any plant on the planet that isn't known to be poisonous.

Weight continues steadfast at 127, 3 pounds over redline and 7 pounds over goal. I feel like I've done maintenance for so long, my body and I have forgotten how to lose weight.

Silverbirch, glad I could be of service. Nice to have you on the board.

Andrea
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #319  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Just a quick fly by, I've been busy as all get out. Still maintaining.

Anywho. Fage, single serving plain Greek yogurt, add a pack of Ranch dressing mix! OMG! Yummy for dip. If you want dressing, add in a bit of ff milk.

Since I am a WW, it's 2 points plus for the whole individual serving!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #320  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post

Weight continues steadfast at 127, 3 pounds over redline and 7 pounds over goal. I feel like I've done maintenance for so long, my body and I have forgotten how to lose weight.

Andrea
Or maybe your body has figured out maintenance at the weight IT wants to weigh. Now your brain has to get with the program and you're laughing.

Dagmar
Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #321  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I've got double standards: I'm squeamish about eating a plate of grubs; I happily eat lobsters and crayfish - as 'buggy' as critters get.

Perhaps related, a Paleo Diet real life friend insists that I should be eating krill by some argument about Omega 3's and the hearts of whales. Not jumping on this. I don't have baleen and I've not seen it at Whole Foods.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #322  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Back from a mid-morning walk around the park which is home to my office. A 35-minute trot through the beauty of the spring: primroses, bluebells, kingcups, lady’s smock, swans preening, chiffchaffs calling – and a cool enough breeze for me to keep my gloves on. This is the route I take when I’m working from the office and I have no idea how long it is. All that will change when my pedometer arrives, sometime in the next few days.

I arrived back feeling a little hungry. What a good sign! It’s been a while since this happened and it’s welcome. I haven’t necessarily been eating too much: another possible reason for the absence of hunger is tension and my personal bugbear, multi-tasking. So a little hunger could well be a sign of relaxation at some level.

I weighed myself this morning and, whilst aboard, beamed groovy thoughts to Atlanta where I’m pretty certain Shannon was fast asleep. Subliminal suggestion. I’m a novice at this so it may not have worked.

The SO is at home today and will be in charge of tea tonight. That’s good because I’ve run out of ideas for the time being. Following Allison’s mention of lettuce I think that some kind of salad will be appearing sooner rather than later when I’m next at the helm.

Thank you for your kind remarks about my reappearance. Much appreciated.

Last edited by silverbirch; 05-14-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #323  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Logging in briefly on the second day of some kind of a really bad cold or the flu, I can't tell which, as I'm not sure what the difference is. I don't handle being sick very well. First, I vacillate between thinking I'm really okay, but overdramatizing my symptoms and using them to slack off, and then feeling guilty about not going to the gym, missing work & getting nothing done, and then acknowledging rather incredulously that yes, I'm really sick. I have a hard time with lying down and doing nothing. I feel that, if I'm away from work, at least I ought to be grocery shopping, cooking, getting a pedicure, and yet I know none of these things is a good idea. Except the cooking. I made chicken soup yesterday.

Yesterday I ate a lot, in spite of not having an appetite, and not exercising. This morning, I wasn't hungry but my throat was so raw, I wanted to keep hot or cold or soft things sliding down inside it, from yogurt to coffee to an eggwhite, goat cheese and vegetable scramble. Now lots of peppermint tea with ginger and lemon.

And so, unsurprisingly, weighing in at 153.3 this morning. I am hoping this is rock bottom, that I am in the process of some kind of reboot, and that when I get over this thing, I will renew my energy and vigor, and can tackle this regain. (Oh, hateful word.) I see people joining 3FC trying to lose what seem relatively small amounts, at least to me, who lost more than 100 pounds several years back. After all, I have kept most of that off.

I can think of at least four women on this board who are 5'5", two inches taller than me, and 30 pounds lower, because they count and measure, and I don't. Still debating whether I am willing to do this. For me, too much counting & measuring led to further obsessions and compulsive behaviors, so I am trying to live with always being a little higher than I'd want. But so much in life is imperfect, not quite what we'd hoped for, yet still worthwhile, because it is life, and who wants less of that? How to balance self-acceptance with continual little self-improvement projects.

Today mine is trying to work a little and hoping no strenuous meeting takes place or deadline comes down on me.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #324  

saef I too look used to look at the heights and weights of others on 3FC. I am quite a bit heavier than a lot of people my height. But I carry quite a bit of muscle. So do you. Muscle weighs more than fat and it looks a whole lot better on the body IMHO. I'd rather be 140 lbs. of muscles than 125 lbs. of other.

This in no way suggests that people who weigh less than myself and are my height don't have muscles. No one take offense please.

Dagmar
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #325  
Workin' It

Saef - The difference between a cold and the flu is fever and chills. Other than that they are pretty similar I believe. And I can't look at other people of my height and weight or it makes me crazy.

Birchie - thanks for the groovy vibes. I definitely needed them last night, it was a long day. I'm not sure if I was asleep when you sent them, I had to get up early today so I didn't sleep much last night in fear of oversleeping.

Bill - I have a family member who eats krill. It creeps me out. As do the thoughts of the termites. LOL

Another long day for me today. Hope it goes smoother than yesterday did.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm starting to feel defeated. Instead of losing, I'm gaining. I'm still below where I was at the beginning of last year, but I'm closing in on that number and nothing seems to be going my way.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #327  
Workin' It

Allison. Right there with you.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #328  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
I can think of at least four women on this board who are 5'5", two inches taller than me, and 30 pounds lower, because they count and measure, and I don't. Still debating whether I am willing to do this. For me, too much counting & measuring led to further obsessions and compulsive behaviors, so I am trying to live with always being a little higher than I'd want. But so much in life is imperfect, not quite what we'd hoped for, yet still worthwhile, because it is life, and who wants less of that? How to balance self-acceptance with continual little self-improvement projects.
This, for me too. I've been lurking for quite a while and I still compare myself to other people's weight/height and feel bad about myself if people are maintaining lower than me. I even calculated people's BMIs if they're shorter/taller than me I'm trying NOT to do that anymore, and so far, I've been good at it for a couple of days. I'm thinking maybe I should take out my stats completely since they're at the lower end, and I was never overweight to begin with, and it might make people feel bad seeing them? What do you think?

Also, on the obsessing part .. I hear you, though from the other end. I'm debating with myself how much control I'm willing to relinquish in exchange for a little more peace of mind and less obsessing. I don't know if I could even get that though, the less-obsessing - maybe I would just be at a higher weight and obsessing that I should get back down? I'm not sure .. but this is definitely a line of thought that's being revisited a lot by me lately. Ultimately I hope I'll converge on a solution Things will unfold in their own time. I do my best not to push them.

(I realize that sympathy from someone who's at a lower weight, and might even want to regain some might be unwarranted and look disingenuous, but I really do mean it. I'm just adding that because I'm usually the person to dismiss good words based on my assumption that the other person "couldn't understand".)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #329  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

alizarin, I leave my stats up for MY benefit. It motivates me to see where I am /have been or hope to be. Right now my stats are correct but there have been times that I have had to work hard to get back to them. If they motivate somebody , that is good and if somebody thinks it is too low, too high, too impossible, I don't care.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #330  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

alizarin~welcome! Don't worry about displaying your stats. And sometimes being obsessive is what allows us to maintain. I think that is what I'm having a hard time re-embracing. I need to be more obsessive.

Shannon~thanks! I mean it. Thanks. I feel like such a failure at times, but then I come here and see everyone else struggling and it makes me feel less like a failure.

I keep going over things in my head...if "this" would be over or if "that" would not happen, then I could really concentrate on this diet thing. But "this" and "that" aren't cooperating...I really need to sit down and formulate a complete plan and just stick to it. I've got to.

I think part of my problem is that I look at my BMI and know that regardless of where I am, I'm still at a healthy BMI and rationalize to myself that since it's healthy I don't need to go lower (which is still healthy). I've got to stop rationalizing because some of my favorite golf shorts are too tight for comfort and this roll around my tummy isn't going away.
Closed Thread