Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #301  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Silverbirch - if you just once weigh yourself both naked and again in the bathrobe of your choice (or pajamas, or whatever), you will from then on know what the weight of the attire is, and can subtract it from your total. If I've just solved a perennial problem for you, you're welcome :>)

Dagmar - your comment reminds me of the "gratefuls" exercise one of DS's middle school teachers taught us a few years back. At the end of the day, each member of the family has to publicly share at least one thing that happened that day for which they are grateful. We did it for a few weeks and indeed had higher levels of "life satisfaction" for awhile, though it eventually became somewhat stale and forced, and we stopped.

I enjoyed the wedding, I enjoyed the dancing and the food and seeing family members (of DH's) that I haven't seen in years. Yes I ate more than I have in several weeks, but I don't feel at all guilty- it was a planned indulgence - and today I'm back on plan.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you for whom it's relevant.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #302  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post

Dagmar - your comment reminds me of the "gratefuls" exercise one of DS's middle school teachers taught us a few years back. At the end of the day, each member of the family has to publicly share at least one thing that happened that day for which they are grateful. We did it for a few weeks and indeed had higher levels of "life satisfaction" for awhile, though it eventually became somewhat stale and forced, and we stopped.

I enjoyed the wedding, I enjoyed the dancing and the food and seeing family members (of DH's) that I haven't seen in years. Yes I ate more than I have in several weeks, but I don't feel at all guilty- it was a planned indulgence - and today I'm back on plan.
I'm glad you were able to enjoy the wedding Andrea.

As for the "gratefuls" yes things become forced if they are tasks we HAVE to do every day. If we try to frame the task of looking for some source of joy every day, no matter how small, as a thing we look forward to it becomes less forced and more natural.

I was raised to be a pessimist, critic, and generally to look for the worst outcome in every situation. DH is similar, whether by nature or (lack of) nurture I'm not sure. All of our parents were very negative people and passed this on to us every day in their behaviour toward us and to others.

I am now aware that I don't have to share this view any more. It's taken me waaay too long to figure this out but I have. Is it from aging and becoming wiser?

Whatever has caused this shift in my perception is going to stick. I'm going to make sure of it. I will feel very uncomfortable praising others and trying to look for good every day but I will do it. In time I think it will become as "natural" for me as pessimism has been for the last 35 years.

Dagmar
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #303  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default I will if you will . . .

. . . weight is 137. :

Exactly what I thought it would be. 3 weeks of not stepping on a scale and the number hasn't changed. Have I finally "got" maintenance?

Dagmar
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #304  
Workin' It

Saef - I definitely have an 'all or nothing at all' outlook on life. I do count calories, and I haven't been doing that as well lately either. I have several empty days on my log and several others that I know I've left incomplete. After reading your description I see myself as one of DSS's lego kits after falling on the floor - pieces all over that don't quite seem to fit back into place. I'll piece it back together, though.

Dagmar - I definitely focus more on the negative than the positive, I always have. I would like to be more positive, and try here and there to do 'what I like about me today' lists - I always do well for a few days or weeks, then I fall back into negative. I do love how positive you always are, though.

Birchie - I get the weighing in the cold - not comfortable at all. And I'm in with you guys...

I got on the scale. And it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. 145.2 - which is just about exactly what it was several weeks ago when I got on the scale the last time. I don't want this to be my maintenance wight, but at least it has stayed consistent.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #305  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Andrea! Strange how I know this technique but have never applied it to myself. Let's save our brain cells and not bother looking too closely at this.

So, the answer is 1.25lbs! That's the weight of my new summer jammies. I did the sum and my weight is less than I expected. It turns out I weighed myself last Monday (had forgotten when I did it last as so much going on here) and I am down by about 2lbs. I can't tell you what I did last week particularly so perhaps it's a blip in the data.

This week I'm going to work on walking (have ordered a new pedometer after a chat with my podiatrist - we always talk about our fitness schemes and she's just got one and is an evangelist), on sleeping (what's new?) and on my trainer exercises (such a nice guy who's helped me make big strides !! in sorting out my back).

Food needs more attention but that will fall into place. Late afternoon is my bad time, you may remember, and I've started to have a period of sleep as soon as I come in the door. Well, you know, I get in bed first. None of this trying to relax with a cup of tea. I Need Sleep and I'm in a position to ensure I get it.

Shannon - thanks for joining us and good work! I'm thinking of putting together a little dance routine around getting on and off the scales. Nothing major but it might get me going in the morning and take my mind off things. Do you have the Hokey Cokey over there?

Stop Press. Have just realised that using Andrea's routine (keeping the night clothes on) means that you don't have to look at the lumpy bits. You just cruise onto the device, looking fab, and cruise off, looking fab.

OK, must go. Love, love.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #306  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Birchie,
I am so happy to read your posts, I have been missing them. Sorry I can't join the "I will if you will" cuz I already do.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #307  
Workin' It

Birchie - I love the thought of looking smooth in my pjs on the scale. LOL And I'm glad to see you posting, I've missed you.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #308  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Although I have tasted a termite, I don't think I could incorporate more into my diet: Eating Insects could help fight obesity.

Yuck. Just yuck.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #309  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm thinking I need to shake things up some this week. What I'm doing obviously isn't working. Many days I eat a frozen meal for lunch and I'd love to get away from processed foods. I'm thinking I'll go the salad route. What are your great salad toppings? I'm looking for yummy, filling, low cal/fat options. Do you have any great dressings? I'm thinking some shaved almonds, berries, small amount of goat cheese, maybe some seeds, some veggies-- tomatoes, cucumbers.... what am I missing?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #310  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Alinnell: Sooooo......why have you tasted a termite?

Michelle: I love putting seasoned tofu on salads. Wildwood has at least 6 different flavors (in the produce/deli section of grocery); my favorites are Royal Thai and Aloha Baked. It's a nice protein addition and you can vary the flavors. I also like toasted pumpkin seeds on my salad. I often throw the leftover cooked veggies in too - leftover roasted brussel sprouts went into my salad last week and they were yummy.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #311  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post

Michelle: I love putting seasoned tofu on salads. Wildwood has at least 6 different flavors (in the produce/deli section of grocery); my favorites are Royal Thai and Aloha Baked. It's a nice protein addition and you can vary the flavors. I also like toasted pumpkin seeds on my salad. I often throw the leftover cooked veggies in too - leftover roasted brussel sprouts went into my salad last week and they were yummy.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have Wildwood stores here. Wonder if other stores would have that? Trader Joe's maybe?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #312  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I'm thinking I need to shake things up some this week. What I'm doing obviously isn't working. Many days I eat a frozen meal for lunch and I'd love to get away from processed foods. I'm thinking I'll go the salad route. What are your great salad toppings? I'm looking for yummy, filling, low cal/fat options. Do you have any great dressings? I'm thinking some shaved almonds, berries, small amount of goat cheese, maybe some seeds, some veggies-- tomatoes, cucumbers.... what am I missing?
If I'm using romaine, I add peppers, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, maybe onions, sometimes cheese. If I'm using baby greens, I add chicken (shredded rotisserie), craisins, spiced pecans and blue cheese. My favorite dressing is Trader Joe's Champagne Pear vinaigrette with Gorgonzola--it's pretty low fat and low calorie and very tasty.

Quote:
When I went on a nature walk in Costa Rica the guide had those of us who were willing taste them. They eat a lot of leaves and for such a tiny thing (smaller than little ants) they have a very concentrated taste of leaves. You'd seriously have to eat thousands (if not millions) to feel full! But other bugs--no what in heck! I mean, some of those things ooze! ((shudder))
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #313  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Michele, I quite like grated carrot with raisins and a very little French dressing (vinaigrette). I've probably said before how much I like tinned fish like sardines and mackerel (full of omega 3 essential fatty acids).

I love crunchy lettuce. Thanks, Allison, for putting it in my mind. I'm not so keen on the insect idea though.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #314  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have Wildwood stores here. Wonder if other stores would have that? Trader Joe's maybe?
Wildwood is the brand, not the store. I've found it at Safeway, Raley's, and other big groceries. TJ's carries some Wildwood products like their burgers, but I think they have their own brand of baked tofu which is pretty good.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #315  

Quote:
Wildwood is the brand, not the store. I've found it at Safeway, Raley's, and other big groceries. TJ's carries some Wildwood products like their burgers, but I think they have their own brand of baked tofu which is pretty good.
Thanks for clarifying for me! I'll check my Safeway! Do you eat it cold?
Closed Thread