Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 AM   #226  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - first Fall weekend

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A new victory. The Biryani arrived at the table as a HUGE platter just for me. I served myself a small portion with a shrimp and savored all the embedded veggies and basmati rice. Then served myself another small portion with a chunk of goat, all the while enjoying the conversation with DW. Then, with perhaps a quarter of it consumed, I realized that I was sufficiently full. So, shudder, I stopped; CREDIT moi. So that, along with half the single loaf of Nan we split, is waiting in the fridge for lunches. I've brought home leftovers before, but this is the first time I've served myself a truly modest volume and been happy.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yay that today you reap the reward of the midnight baking and then delivery of your batch of cookies. Kudos for pulling that together with only a ha-cookie sample. Hope you can give your poor over burnt candle a break today.

onebyone - Four Big Kudos for four bags of stuff sent on its way; Kudos for attacking your clutter as well as letting some furniture go so that you can incorporate your mother's stuff into your life. Good luck with your market today (hoping that headache is history). I presume that fall makes people want to buy.

Look forward to hearing what you think of Volumetrics.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for preparing yourself to receive the new "awesome ideas." And Yay for having your bathroom gutted, I mean, I guess - will you be able to shower and other things? Sending supportive thoughts that a weekend off with a visit to the gym helps to curb all that physical stuff you're still experiencing.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for "No chips at the party tonight" - that's good stuff. Ouch for the vending machines. Do you have a written plan for the day? I found that a solid plan that I believed in was my best defense against the vending machine, and my style was to go ahead and buy two chocolate bars to save myself the effort of walking back, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for lunch at one of your CSA farms; I'm jealous. Give us a full report so we can drool.

Kudos for keeping to your September exercise plan; looks like you'll reach your planned goal. Oh Well for a day without reading your Advantages Response Cards even though Kudos for being aware.

Carla (carla70) - Yay for a "free" weekend; hope you find some productive stuff to enjoy the fall. Kudos for eating "ok" - my own style of counting calories doesn't count lettuce so there's no such thing as too much. Thanks for telling us how you found Beck and this thread.

Liz (upallnight116) - I can imagine the frustration trying to get through Stage 1 to get to the actual dieting. Hang in there; you'll make it. I followed the first book where we had to go through 14 program days before the first day of dieting - which is different but similar. I didn't discover Beck until six months after I had lost my weight so I was already in maintenance when I did Day One. But then, since my maintenance and diet plans were the same, that didn't really matter. LOL, so I guess I can't offer much experience on that one.

You're doing the right thing by working the skills; Beck repeatedly states that the skills at the start of her program are key to success.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight
. . .
You'll be able to say to yourself, As much as I want to eat [this food] and enjoy a moment or two of pleasure, losing weight is much more important to me.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 55.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-27-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Typo: chuck => chunk. Thanks Kim in NH
Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #227  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Saturday - Is it really Fall?!?

Good Morning Coaches

It's 7:59am and I should be heading out the door for the bus with my market stuff but I'm not. I have a bit of a stomach bug still. I hope it completely clears up soon. I felt lousy yesterday. That headache hung around until mid afternoon and I was so puffy and felt so nauseous.

I hit a new high this morning on the scale too: 278.8. It figures as we have a wedding to go to on Friday (city hall wedding) which continues to Saturday (backyard reception). I thought I would drop like 10 lbs and it seems as soon as I think these things I gain weight.

I know I am making connections between things where there are no connections.

It's like I've just been holding fast through the mom stuff and now I peek up ready to climb back into my life and I get a higher number on the scale. I gotta get re-focused and I gotta do something about it.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Thursday, Friday Report

Thursday was quite frustrating for me. I needed to move a lot of files from one server in California to another one. But the process for doing so was developed for those who work inside the CA office. The network in the office is very fast, the same can not be said for the ever growing number of people who work remotely. It involves moving all the files to my laptop and then back to the second server in CA. The first server is a very slow machine, so is a problem for all remote employees. The version control software that is the gateway to the second server is flaky, difficult to use, and slow. So when it was taking me much longer than I had planned to move the files around on Thursday, I assumed it was issues with the machines in California or the version control software. I did reboot my laptop several times, supersitiously. And we rebooted our home network in the early afternoon. By 4 PM a file transfer failed *again* and I burst into tears and called to cancel my piano lesson. DH rebooted our home network again and suddenly all the files started moving. By 5:30 all the files were in the right place in CA. But I was already in quite a foul mood and self-medicated with alcohol. My calories were okay because I ate only half my lunch and had no mid-afternoon snack. But clearly I didn't have the best source of calories… BTW - DH got a new router from the phone company yesterday.
In addition I’ve been sleeping very poorly for almost a month now. I’ve been getting 4-6 hours a night and it’s been catching up with me this week. It turns out my latest allergy medicine (started taking 3 weeks ago) has a side-effect of insomnia. The doc prescribed a different allergy med yesterday. I want one that gets rid of snoring at night, allows me to sleep through the night, but doesn’t cloud my thinking the next day.
WI-down .6 lbs (since Wednesday) Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (48m both Thurs and Fri). But I didn’t take a break for lunch or for a walk/kayak either day.
Today we have a nice day planned. I’ll do my exercise and then we go to the Common Ground Fair put on by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners. So it’s a fun crunchy-granola kind of a day. We’ll have lunch there – much healthier than typical fair food! We’ll just walk around and soak it all in. They have all kinds of cool demos - my favorite is the border collie demo. There are others like blacksmithing, baking over a campfire, and making acorn flour. There’s a set of tents set aside for a progressive polical activists. And another that is primarily for companies selling sustainable energy products and services.
to all. I’ll get to personals again tomorrow – I need to run if I want to exercise before we leave.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #229  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Fall is certainly here

Hi all.
Have been doing well the past few days, on plan with exercise, and on plan foodwise. I have decided to cut back on my last holdout – alcohol. This is a waste of calories and I have concluded it has hindered weight loss in the past. What started as a few beers on the weekend turned into an everynight thing when I began working until 10:00pm. It would take me 2 hours to get to sleep…so a couple of beers or glass or wine would do it. Since I am not working as much (not by choice, by economy) I don’t need that. I decided to limit it to 2 nights, usually a weekend when DH and I sit down for some TV/movie time and only if there are enough calories avail. The past week and a half I have done that successfully (somehow thought it was going to be harder?) Between that and the 6 meal/day diet I have seen results. So many changes, so many old habits I cling to and don’t want to give up.

We had a freeze last night, most of the garden is done. It's always a bittersweet time as I love the cooler weather but I still want the garden! I picked as much as I could yesterday afternoon.

BillBlueEyes; Yay for the victory of leaving food on your plate. Love biryani. I also like the bonus of getting several meals out of one restaurant dinner – always appeals to the thrifty side of me. Trying to picture a chuck of goat….

Kuhljeanie; Really great to split one cookie with your DH! I wish I could do that. I skipped a request to bake something for the PTO this week because I know I can’t handle baked goods in the house – not yet.

ChinaMaine; Yikes for uncooperative technology, but glad it got done even though it ruined your day. Your fair sounds wonderful… the typical ones here in NH there is only one place I can eat, the buffalo wagon. Everything else is sausage, fried dough, sausage, fried twinkies, sausage…

OnebyOne; Sorry to hear about the stomach bug... and the new high, but great that you are trying to refocus.

Nuxmaga; Yay for passing on chips.

Gardenerjoy; Hope your lunch put is great!

RobinW; Good for you attending a meeting that sparks enthusiasm!

Upallnight116; I don’t think I said welcome to you yet – welcome! I am using the first book which has the diet start after 14 days. I started Beck 22 days ago and I am on day 12 in the book. I’m not worrying about the time, only that I move ahead when I am ready. Yes, I started from scratch too. If it is frustrating to wait, can you take the time to make a food plan or grocery list, or something that will give you a leg up when you do start? Sounds like are doing the right thing, hang in there and you’ll be ready for the diet phase.

Carla70; Enjoy that free weekend!

Have a great weekend everyone,
Kim

Last edited by Kim in NH; 09-26-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #230  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Hi there Coaches -
A quick fly-by during my week of craziness. Things have been going pretty well. I ate a bit too much Thursday night but tracked it all and have been OP since then. Scale is down about 3 lbs right now and the Friday night concert was a success. I got up early to walk this morning and was rewarded by the sight of the biggest rainbow I've ever seen. So nice things all around right now.
to you all and I hope to get back to personals soon. I have to find a way to fit the time into my routine. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
cheers
Erika
Oh and welcome to Liz (Upallnight116) - looking forward to getting to know you better!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #231  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I am still sick, and it has been A DAY. I'm choosing to go over my plan and have a (singular) nice beer and relax before bed. This is a good choice today.

Anyway, I wanted to check in because I identified a sabotaging thought. I've been having trouble lately keeping my years-long habit of logging my food, and today the thought was strong. "There's too much junk on the counter to go digging for my food log and write it down." Um, hello. I just love the creativity the mind employs, regardless of how stupid it sounds when you actually listen to yourself.

So I cleaned the counter and made a plan for an alternate location for the notebook when it junks up again.

Tomorrow is my DD's 4th birthday party, and I'll probably be beside myself with stress as the children get excited and overstimulated. I'll pop back in on Monday.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Happy Fall!

Anne
Old 09-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #232  
Green Tomatoes

The farm tour lunch was more challenging than expected -- country picnic food so lots of starchy vegetables instead of green ones. I coped with small portions. The skinny woman in front of me took 1/2 a bratwurst so I took the other half. I really wanted a few bites of the spice cake made with heirloom squash, so I got DH to split a small piece -- about three bites each which was perfect!

The farm tour was a fun adventure!

WI: -0.25kgs , Exercise: 60+, 1089/1200 minutes for September, Food: op (such as it was), Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: congrats on reaching the point of satisfaction with a modest portion! And, enjoy those leftovers!

onebyone: ouch on the new weight and the sick head and stomach. I keep reminding myself of what they tell smokers -- all those previous times were just practice. Really, all that stuff with your mom would have been hard for anyone. Especially since it wasn't just one event but days and days of stress and difficult foods to control. With that behind you, I believe you can "get re-focused" and "do something about it."

ChinaMaine: sorry for the rough Thursday -- that's a truly horrible day. I hope your new allergy medicine does the trick. I can't remember if we've talked about neti pots on this thread. I use one at night and it's a big help with the snoring. The Common Ground Fair sounds really great!

Kim in NH: good job on working out the alcohol. Glad you got some last-minute harvesting done before the freeze. I'm hoping we'll get another month out of our garden.

eusebius: glad things are going well in spite of the busy-ness!

wndranne: great job on finding your notebook with both a mess and a sabotaging thought to deal with! Good luck with the 4 year olds!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #233  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Survived a memorial service at mid afternoon with mounds of food, CREDIT moi, by mostly eating fruit. Do need help with a key question: Is a strawberry dipped in chocolate a fruit? Just one side is dipped in chocolate, the other is bare.

Took off for my walk underdresed for the cool weather deliberately to force myself to be brisk to keep warm. Walk was interrupted when I ran into a group of folks I haven't seen in about four years; Oh Well. Feel drawn to ask if a walk is aerobic if spent standing still for an hour shivering, but I won't. I had to walk briskly home to warm up.

onebyone - emailing some virtual chicken soup. Hope you get back to feeling yourself so the market today is possible.

Anne (wndranne) - Simply amazing that Sabotaging Thoughts have such low opinion of our intelligence that they think any cheese-puff notion will throw us off track. Doubly amazing how often I fall for it. Kudos for spotting that. Happy Birthday to your DD. What I remember of birthday parties for my four year olds was the HUGE grins on the faces of the parents as they waved goodby.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for a phone company modem taking out a piano lesson; Kudos to your DH for replacing it so you can continue to move files between two California servers via China, Maine. Your "fun crunchy-granola kind of a day" sounds like life in the last century; enjoy. Seems like a good year to learn to make Acorn flour - there's a bumper crop.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for a successful concert to top off a week of craziness. Everyone should get a rainbow when the scale drops 3 pounds, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat strategy to get a few bites of heirloom squash spice cake - sounds yummy. Ouch that a CSA fair served less green than you had envisioned, but Kudos for using portion control to find your path through it.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Kudos for confronting alcohol - Beck doesn't hit that until day 31: Decide about Drinking. I like your sentence, "So many changes, so many old habits I cling to and don’t want to give up." Much of the stuff I wanted to cling to wasn't really so important - just habits that I had accumulated. But I seemed loath to swap them for new habits. I think some Sabotaging Thoughts were pushing against my attempts at change. Thanks for spotting my "chuck of goat," LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Benefits of Weight Loss

So why do you want to lose weight? Take a moment to think about this question. How will weight loss impact the following?
• Your love life, friendships, family, career, and social life
• Your energy and participation in hobbies and recreational activities
• Your body, health, self-image, and mental outlook
. . .
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 55.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #234  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post cold rain

Good Morning Coaches

I'm up so early on a Sunday as I just had my pre-market consultation phonecall wiht my boothpartner Tim and we've cancelled for the day. It's really raining wiht no end in sight. And it's a cold rain. I always take note of the first and the last cold rain. When it's summer rain it's not cold at all and often pleasant. I know, basic knowledge here but it's a sign of FALL, Ugh. Anyway it's **** to set up a tent at a market in the rain. So, even though we both need the $, we're not going. I'm pretty sure it's raining all day too.

I did get 50 small items made yesterday for the first time in a year I think. (My avatar is like one of the things I am talking about--that's the kind of stuff I made yesterday.) I used to make this stuff daily, for about 15 years I pretty much worked with this material daily and then I went to school and worked with other stuff. I've been avoiding getting back to it. I had a sabotaging thought about it that went like this: when you do start to make things again they had better be good cause you went to art school now and so they'd better be that much better or why did you bother? Yikes perfectionism and chastisment all before I even start. Anyway I finally started and that critical voice is quiet now. I may need to make something everyday to keep it quiet.

Today I am going to head to my mother's and visit with her. I have her good glasses and her good jewellery here. I was supposed to drop them off earlier but everyday something comes up. Her phone isn't installed yet but I did hear she'll have the same # as she had before which is fantastic. Her elderly friends can call her by accident and they'll reach her. It's great.

Okay I think I'm going back up to bed. I'm really not happy about Fall being here and the weather getting colder. But it falls under the realm of "not in my hands" so I better maked a plan soon for myself about how to keep my spirits up as the daylight hours dwindle and the tempertaures fall to the single digits consistently.

see you later have a good Sunday.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #235  

Default Saturday at the fair

The Common Ground Fair was a lot of fun, but I have to admit we missed the kitschy quality of our local ‘traditional’ fair. The food was the highlight – as Kim in NH so aptly put it, most fairs have ‘ sausage, fried dough, sausage, fried twinkies, sausage’ There were a few places selling fried dough and french fries, but a wide variety of other healthy foods too. I headed straight for my current fair favorite, the Indian booth. I got a combination plate that I split with DH (after he finished his gyro). I ate until I was no longer hungry, but not quite full. There was a place selling handmade ice cream – we stopped there mid-afternoon. I got a mixture of apple and pumpkin ice cream. The apple ice cream had chunks of spiced organic apples in it. Yum! The pumpkin wasn’t fantastic, so I didn’t eat it. Why take the calories if I don’t love it? These thoughts are new to me since I started Beck, and it’s really nice that they are starting to become habits… Perhaps I am starting to think like a thin person.
I did a core and lower body workout, walked Moose, and kayaked for about 20 minutes. The fair gave me a few hours of spontaneous exercise. We did see some neat demos and bought bags of organic produce on the way back to our car. I’m making a quiche tonight with leeks… I’ve also had 2 good nights sleep in a row.
WI-down .3 lbs. Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (68m).
Kim (in NH) Kudos for changing so many old habits. that you’re already seeing the benefits! Do your local fairs have buffalo meat? If so, I’m so jealous!

Erika Credit for being op since Thursday. Nice you were rewarded by the rainbow during your walk. for down 3 lbs.

Anne Ouch for having ‘A DAY’, but kudos for dealing with it reasonably. Lol at the slightly ludicrous sabotaging thought. But nice job dealing with it!

gardenerjoy Sounds like you made great choices in a challenging situation – credit! My Mom got me a neti pot for Christmas, and I thought it was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. But you say they work well? Do they make a tremendous mess? I may have to remember where I put it after everyone left…

Bill Looks like today will give you an opportunity to walk in the rain. I believe that dodging raindrops is aerobic.

one by one Kudos for fighting off sabotaging thoughts – you enjoy making these small items, and customers enjoy buying them. Enough said, right? I hope your visit with your Mom goes well.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #236  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 'lo, Beckies

Dear Beckies, old friends and new ones,

I have been seriously AWOL, mostly due to weather. *sigh. Never, ever, have I experienced such a Sept. I have been swimming almost every day, more than I did the rest of the months of summer combined. *sigh. The best part about Sept. swimming is that how one looks in a swim suit is really a moot point. ahem.

I have been trying to follow along. Still marvel at your dedication and energy, thinking of you all and all the challenges you have faced. And often laughing out loud, mostly at BillBE.

Sat at the Boz Scaggs concert last week and he referenced being at the Guthrie in Mpls. 30 years ago. I was there for that concert, too. It was so cool to be sitting in his magnificent, gracious presence 30 + years later with both of us still above ground and thriving. Sat there with a friend of 30 plus years as well; that felt good, too.

Sorry for your frost, Kim. I am so not ready for one. The raspberries are huge, and what the dawgs don't eat, I am certainly enjoying. The first Honeycrisp apples have been disappointing. They need to be on the tree in some cooler weather to sweeten up. No Delicata squash at Trader Joe's; am on the hunt for BillBE's passion.

Anne, am hoping you are well enough to enjoy Survivor. This season is really a kick!

Will save my story of the anti climax of blowing past my goal and underneath my red line for another time; it truly was such an anti climax.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #237  

Default Delicata Squash and Congrats!

Bill Maryblu's post reminded me that I had bought 3 Delicata squash at the fair yesterday. How do you cook them?

Maryblu for hitting, and passing, your goal. It is so exciting!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Hello, I am back. I have really fallen off the wagon the last couple of weeks. I don't know what in the world happen but temptation has reared its ugly head on several occasions and I've just given in every time. I don't know why I have just been giving in, it's like all the skills I've learned go out the window. I have been still reading my cards and following my eating plan most of the time but if someone brings in donuts, watch out. I had one! Then I found myself sabatoging the rest of my day each and every time after I gave in. It's something I've been trying to work on the last couple of months and I was doing good but then I went back to my old habits. What the heck? Today I am trying to start fresh again and just leave the last few weeks behind and start again. I feel so mad at myself but what else can I do than just start fresh? I need to stay focused and accountable. Trying to focus on my own just didn't work. I need you guys!

So far today: breakfast - op

Bill - I think the strawberry counts as fruit but you would probably have to add additional calories for the chocolate. Great job staying away from all the tempting food at the memorial service. Eating fruit was really smart and healthy. Sorry to hear your exercise plans went amiss. Maybe trying to keep your body warm burned some calories

OnebyOne - bummer that you got rained out today but great job in getting so many items made. That's fantastic. Enjoy your visit with your mom today.

ChinaMaine - kudos for starting to be able to think like a thin person. That is such great news! Your new habits are really starting to get instilled in you. How long have you been following Beck? Keep up the good work!

Maryblue - congratulations on blowing past your goal! That is fantastic! Great job! It must feel good to see all your hard work pay off. Yea you! :-)
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #239  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

been peeling wallpaper and getting alot done in prep for the guys coming on tuesday to start the new bathroom.

busy busy busy!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #240  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food, credit. Resisted buying large chocolate bar, and the sabotaging thought that "I'll only eat a bit of it"--credit! 11,000 steps, credit.

RobinW--Hope all is well with the renovation.

WalkingPrincess--Welcome back! Those old pathways are worn in deep, and you just need more practice to make the new ones. How long have you been taking a donut when someone brings them? For me, that would be 40+ years. This isn't to discourage you, but to say that if you keep starting fresh eventually you will trounce those sabotaging thoughts.

maryblu--yay for daily swimming and Boz Scaggs!

ChinaMaine--that's fabulous that you didn't finish the pumpkin ice cream because it wasn't very good. That's a brilliant Beck move that will serve you well.

onebyone--I like your idea of making something everyday to keep the critical voice quiet! You are calling its bluff!

Bill--a true victory with the Indian food! Mindful eating at its best.

gardenerjoy--I really liked your strategy of taking the other half of the bratwurst, and splitting the cake--I'm so used to thinking in terms of wholes, and it's been quite a process learning that I can break them down into pieces.

wndranne--credit for taking on 4 year olds! And the sabotaging thoughts about digging for your notebook.

Kim in NH--Kudos for the thinking about alcohol and how to salvage those calories.
Closed Thread