Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Tueday

I did 30 minutes of exercise this morning and promised to do that last 15 mins as a morning or afternoon break from work. But I felt under-the-gun on getting stuff done, so I let sabotaging thoughts keep me from exercising. Tomorrow, I will use my CBT to confront my unrealistic, perfectionist expectations of both myself, and my PM.
Turned out I was 100 calories under yesterday, rather than 75 over. (I entered the wrong chicken dish for my lunch yesterday). So that was nice. I know I haven’t had enough fiber today, but if that’s the worst I can say then I’ve had a great op day.
WI-down 1.1 lbs. Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – off-plan (30m).
one by one You have a heck of a week ahead of you. I’d say the best you can do is eat as reasonably as you can manage – be as mindful as you can manage. And then let the rest go in terms of diet. It’s a kick the can kind of week…

gardenerjoy I’m glad most of the weight has already come back off. Good luck in the hospital. It’s amazing, isn’t it?, that hospitals and schools have some of the unhealthiest foods known to man.

Bill Credit for making smart choices at the potluck. Those kinds of events can be such a challenge. I guess having it monthly allows you to learn some good strategies over time…

gardenerjoy, Bill In years past I’ve mostly seen the bald eagles in colder weather too. But now that we have the dock, we can see more of the shoreline and spend more time down there. So, we’ve been seeing the bald eagles almost daily. Earlier in the summer we actually saw a bald eagle catch a fish in front of our house and carry it to a tree top across the lake. To a nest, perhaps? Anyway, I am really enjoying seeing so much more of them…

Robin Some great insights on stress. But I’m sorry it’s been having such a severe effect on your body. It does sound like your body is telling you that something’s gotta give. Good luck!

Anne One day at a time – kudos for getting so many of the basics done.

Erika I’m sorry you are so exhausted and overwhelmed. Take it easy and do what you can. Don’t worry about being diet buddies until things settle down for you a bit. No reason to add to your stress at all.

Kuhljeanie I have the same issue with the discrepancy between my body image, and my actual size. I’m so much smaller than I was, that I feel thinner than I am. I think of myself as a size 10, when I"m borderline 12/14. I have company often enough that I see pictures of myself every few weeks, so I can see what I look like in reality. I’m glad because it does keep me motivated to keep losing. But the first couple of times I saw myself in pictures, it was jarring to say the least. Glad the new cafeteria has healthier food.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Buddies/Coaches; Did fairly well the past two days. I did my 30 min boot camp DVD yesterday credit. Stayed within my plan – credit. 30 min sore and stiff legged walk with kids and dogs – credit. Did not read my cards though – will do so tonight. I remembered, which is good, but just could not fit it in as the day sped on– need to do it in the morning.

Finished the hearth job yesterday – grouting. I think I burned more calories in those few hours than I have in a long time. Ran out of grout almost at the end (why did I trust the tile gal and not read the specs myself ?) DH ran out and made it back in 90 minutes just in time to blend it in before the first batch had cured. I was pretty beat, as it also entailed carrying the 3 gallon water cleaning buckets up and down the deck stairs for fresh water. Since yesterday was Day 1 of an online boot camp I joined, I HAD to do the workout last night even when I’d have preferred the couch and a glass of wine. (did that later) so I guess credit for pushing myself.

Kuhljeanie; Great to hear the new job location suits you – what do you do for work? Thumbs up for healthy menu choices, walking paths and shorter commute! As far as the photos, I am always shocked when I see mine (the old saying the camera adds 10 pounds or 20 or 30 or…) Hope the new gowearfit works out. I read your thread on the Sensewear – sounds really cool to get the feedback on calories burned plus so much more.

Eusebius: waving to you in between reps!

OnebyOne; Sounds like things are working in your favor for the ceramics class. Yuck for the salt – it does mess things up. Hope it’s all out of you tomorrow. Hope things go well with the kitties, and as smooth as possible for your mom’s relocation.

RobinW; Glad to hear the tingling is subsiding. Love the quote!

BillBlueEyes; Sounds like you navigated your way through the snack table quite well. Yup, dark chocolate is what I’d go for too. I find the better quality the chocolate, the less I need to eat to satisfy that craving.
Good for you noticing you need a routine change at the gym before you find it’s too boring to go.

WndrAnne; Way to go for an on plan day even if not stellar.

Gardenerjoy; Good for you making a plan for those trips when food choices are iffy – yay for losing some of the gain quickly.

ChinaMaine; Really cool that you saw an eagle and saw it hunting. Cool seeing a bat too, but not in the house. We’ve had that happen as well, but our cat got it (I have no idea how – I would have rather it escaped outside) Love campfires too (we have to keep it below bonfire stage here) but we have them all summer for the kids.

RoyalAthena; Welcome!! I am one of the newer folks here, taking it slow through the book. Glad you joined us.

WalkingPrincess; Yay for having a great Beck day yesterday!

I still have some food planning and reading to do tonight. I have to say – this is a lot of work. One thing I know is when I am posting here, reading my cards, reading the book, logging in my food to the database, exercising, & reading posts, each of which is all about food; what I am not doing is eating!!

Kim
Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #138  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Surfacing here. 7100+ steps,credit. Tracked food, credit. Calories under, yay! Zumba starts again tomorrow--yay!! Up 2.8 lbs, bleah. Lots of stress, and an increase in sabotaging thoughts about food being the way to relieve the stress. My back is wonky after a big sneeze(being over 40 sucks), but getting better. Sister in midlife crisis. Possible minor surgery to see a consultant about. Committee meeting next week at work. Commission to do a mosaic for a gravestone--seems like a big responsibility! Went to choir tonight, which is very enjoyable, stress-relieving, except for the surprise wine and pretzels at the break. Hope to do personals soon.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #139  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies A totally craptastic food day today, but I'm still in a good mood because I ran 3.5 continuous miles this morning, and work didn't suck for once. So there! Yeah, I'm reading the cards and will make a better plan for tomorrow. I'm dealing with meeting food. I have issues.

Anyway.

BillBE Are you still doing the evil lunges? I haven't heard you lament your situation in a while.

RobinW Let me know how that stress controlling goes. And if you figure it out, send me the recipe. Please.

Erika Glad you are getting back on track and hope things get sane quickly.

Jeanie This post sounds so positive. I hope you are feeling a little better each day. Maybe I should look at some of my pics as well. Actually, I'm up about 5 lbs and I hate having to redo my last goal card. Maybe that will motivate me.

onebyone Here's to fate! Watch the evil pizza. I think I might ask for toppings in the shape of a big old frowny face next time.

ChinaMaine Credit on the 30 minutes, for sure. And now you have the gift of a goal to work to with the extra 15.

Kim in NH Hope you don't get sore from all that grouting. Wow!

nuxmanga Yay Zumba. Boo 2.8 pounds. I need to kick mine to the curb too. Hope the minor surgery is minor and thing go easy.

Anne
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #140  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I felt a little weird eating my pb sandwich in the waiting room at 9 in the morning, but it worked and no one said anything. My brother was unexpectedly told to have soup for lunch after his procedure so we stopped at Panera (that's called St. Louis Bread Company, here). He would have bought me something but I said "I think I'll go home and eat what I planned." It wasn't hard at all; I just did it! There must be one or two new neural pathways in my brain for that to happen.

WI: -0.45kgs, Exercise: 40, 670/1200 minutes for September, Food: op
Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: great job on the pot luck.

RobinW: glad things are improving with the chiro. Pot roast over spaghetti squash sounds like the perfect fall supper!

kuhljeanie: yay for all the good things with the new client including the location and the healthy menu options.

onebyone:
that sounds terrific the way that the class worked out for you, for free!

ChinaMaine: good luck with fighting perfectionism with CBT -- and great idea!

Kim in NH: Wow! Good job on all the exercise even with the unexpected intensity of the home improvement work.

Nuxmaga: hope the Zumba is fun!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Hello,

I've really been struggling the last couple days - maybe even several days with staying on plan. Not sure what the heck is going on with me but I have been eating over my allotted calories both yesterday and today. Why can't I seem to stay strong? I've really had a stern talking to myself and hope I've gotten through to myself. It has really brought all the self-confidence I've been working so hard to build back down to zero. I need to get back on track. Has this happened to anyone else about this time in the program (towards the end of the book?). I definitely need to read it again and go through all the exercises. I've learned a lot of new skills but obviously am still working on many others. Just wondering if this is normal or if I am failing at losing weight once again.

Kara
Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #142  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was particularly pleased with my lunch yesterday: lentils with kale over broccoli slaw, and two medallions of sweet potato fries. And the ear of corn, skim milk, and container of raw veggies, of course. CREDIT moi for getting lunch right.

Dinner presented the opportunity to leave food on my plate, and I did. ME, food on my plate, CREDIT moi. OK, it was a takeout burrito that was way too big - it included rice to fill up the college crowd I guess. So I skipped the tortilla entirely and left a bunch of the rice. And, for the first time ever, DW and I didn't finish the tiny container of guacamole - but that's in the fridge for later.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yay for the new gig. May the Universe continue to shine on you for the remainder of the year - it certainly owes you. Ouch for the appearance of the two year stash of pictures - perhaps more reality than desired. I recently discovered a picture of myself in a chair, at weight, taken from the floor. It exacerbates everything. I look like Jaba the hut, LOL.

onebyone - Neat that you're taking the ceramics class that you wanted. Double Neat that it's free. Yep, the ol' Universe is getting its act together.

Robin (RobinW) - Glad you're making progress on that tingling/sleepy feeling; that kind of thing scares me. Just WOW on your customer's stress - that sounds like the guy you mentioned before who ordered a hundred Tee's and returned half an hour later with the cash. (Drooling at the thought of pot roast over spaghetti squash.)

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats on the continuous 3.5 miles - that's certainly worthy of a good mood. I've been concentrating on my form while doing the d*rn lunges which is improving their quality and seriously improving my attitude. The trick is to go more slowly and still keep the balance without simply using body momentum to carry myself forward. Alas, form matters.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for seeing that you can use CBT for perfectionist expectations of yourself. Good luck on it impacting your PM, LOL. A wise old friend used to mutter, "The further away from the bits, the more optimistic."

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for recognizing the Sabotaging Thoughts that food is what your stress needs. I think the recognition is the hardest part; that usually arrives in the form of that-didn't-work. Have a happy Zumba tonight.

Erika (eusebius) - Kudos for posting between your sets. Hope some calm falls your way this week.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Yep, the doldrums happen. Kudos for giving yourself a talking to - whatever shock to your system to allow your head to engage again. Sending supportive thoughts. Wouldn't think of it as staying strong, but of staying focused. You can do it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "one or two new neural pathways." That's encouraging. LOL at covertly eating a PB sandwich in the hospital waiting room. Big Kudos for skipping the offer of lunch at the St. Louis Bread Company.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Congrats for finishing the grouting, especially for getting that last bit before it set. Having this wonderful image of Mickey Mouse carrying buckets of water, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
What if you've already lost weight? You still need to prepare. Start with Day 1 and progress from there. Practicing the skills of this program is crucial to maintaining weight loss. It's insurance that all your hard work will pay off for a lifetime.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 54.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #143  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

This is the 2nd morning Ive been up extremely early without the help of an alarm clock Oh well, at least Im getting to sleep ok...its staying there that seems to be the issue.

Bill~ that stressed out customer came in yesterday to order more tees and hoodies. Just as hyper/stressed as before. BUT, he came back with his wife about an hour later, and she was like a balm for him. He stood still, talked in a normal voice and didnt holler his questions at me lol

The pot roast was scary good last night! It was my first one! Mostly because dh kept saying how much he disliked pot roast. Turns out (I find out last night) its all the veggies in the pot he doesnt like, and the threat that I'll make him eat them. Sometimes he's a weird one

Have a ton of work to get done at the shop today. Yesterday wasnt a very focused day. Took all day just to come up with some sort of daycare logo Hopefully today will be better!

Food was off just a bit, but Im very happy for fighting off the mid afternoon munchies! Im calling it a success!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #144  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

I feel much more on track now. I'm still exhausted but I think the healthy habits are re-established, so I hope the energy will come back with time.

Ann (RoyalAthena) - Welcome!! You will love the support, humour, and intelligence you'll find in this group.

kuhljeanie - nice to hear that your new workplace is a good one. Congrats for getting back on plan!! Continued good thoughts to you & DH.

onebyone - free classes = sweet! Ouch for the salt, but you know it will be gone soon.

ChinaMaine - Good job listening to your body and being kind to yourself!!

Kim in NH - you're doing terrifically well especially with the extra reno work!!

Nuxmaga - Good to see you! Yay for Zumba starting up again! Hope your back pain is nothing serious. Choir does rock ... I kind of miss it. I have a new one I'm accompanying this morning.

wndranne - Yay for 3.5 miles!!! Ouch on the meeting food ... but good for you for planning and reading response cards.

gardenerjoy - Hooray for new neural pathways and eating on plan!!

Kara - I think ups and downs are extremely normal. Repeat after me: "Oh Well" "Get Back On Track" "Oh Well" "Get Back On Track" I have been having tough times too and I think it's just part of the journey. It doesn't have to derail you completely if you just jump back on the wagon! Easier said than done, I know.

Bill - I think you're becoming the poster child for healthy locavore eating, LOL. Kudos for leaving food on your plate ... even guacamole ... that's nearly beyond belief around here!

Robin - Ouch for early wakeups. Hope they subside soon. Great job staying OP. Can you put some pot roast in a taxi and send it across the border?

Time to go get breakfast for myself and grumpy DD, who is allergic to morning like her father. Another nonstop rehearsal day but at least it's mostly at home.
cheers
Erika
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Default Wednesday Hump Day

I did yoga, a lower body workout and walked Moose. I worked late, so moved after work from ‘my office’ to my sofa – a 18” commute. I didn’t use my CBT at all today, but I plan to tomorrow! When I read my cards I'll come up with a strategy for walking away from work for 15 minutes during the day. It’s been a quiet evening though.
WI-down .7 lbs. (new low!) Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (47m).
Kim (in NH) Wow – lots of exercise, kudos! Grouting the hearth sounded it involved some heart-pounding suspense. It’s cool you have fires all summer for your kids. They’ll have very fond memories of that when they are adults, I’m sure.

Margaret Yikes, I’m getting stressed out just reading your post. Hopefully the zumba will burn some of the stress off…

Anne Yay for a great bike ride follwed by a non-sucky day at work. Ouch for the craptasitck food day.

gardenerjoy Way cool you chose not to eat at Panera – I don’t think I could have done it. I’m impressed! Looks like you had an overall good day for food and exercise and the scale is being kind today. Credit!

Kara (Walking Princess) It takes consistent daily practice to do well most of the time. And I think all of us have mis-steps, but if you use mis-steps as a way to learn and change your behavior, the mis-steps can be a benefit. Anne said something a few months ago that’s really stuck with me. I’ll paraphrase, because I don’t remember exactly. But it was something like ‘I like to eat enormous quantities of food. Others have sugar or binging issues. No wonder this is hard. We all have to find our own path, and it doesn’t look like anyone else’s.’ Beck provides a framework and a set of skils to learn But we each have to craft them differently, because we each have a different set of things we deal with. Give yourself time and space to learn, and don’t hold yourself to an unrealistic standard. You are doing great.

Bill Did you have 5 servings of fruit and veggies with your lunch yesterday? That was an impressive litany of produce! Lol at your quote – truth is funny.

Robin Kudos for the pot roast and for doing well on food!

Erika I’m glad you are feeling more on track and I hope energy and feeling better follow.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #146  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Zumba tonight, yay!! Credit for making it through to the end after a few weeks off. 3900+ steps, credit. Tracked food, credit. Calories over, bleah. I had lunch with my retired volunteer and although I chose the least evil entree, I did have dessert and she brought me a baggie of dove miniatures.

ChinaMaine--Yay for doing yoga! And for weight being down.

eusebius--glad you are starting to feel better. Accompanying a choir seems like quite a feat to me!

RobinW--congrats on fighting off the afternoon munchies. Those are the worst.

Bill--You consistently have the most delicious sounding lunches! That deserves a credit. And big credit for leaving rice and tortilla on your plate--I struggled to leave a little bit of my wrap today at lunch--you'd think it was food of the gods,instead of a mediocre bright red dyed tortilla. Oh, and to report, the chocolatier went out of business, and is now a unenticing office. There is justice in the world.

Walking Princess--You are in the learning process, not failing at weight loss. There's a big difference! Humans don't usually master skills instantly--and it's perfectly normal to go off track. I like the saying "Do the next right thing." If you are off track, what's the next right thing you could do? Even if it's as small as eating 1% less than last time, that's a victory.

gardenerjoy--Yay for new neural pathways! I've eaten peanut butter sandwiches in many many places, and it is so much better than hospital cafeteria food. And that's great you passed up Panera--nothing there is under a billion calories.

wndranne--Credit for 3.5 miles! I can't even imagine doing that.

onebyone--Glad to hear you get to sit in on the ceramic class, and that there was no pizza at work this time.

kim in nh--Wow, you had a grouting adventure! Grouting is usually where I procrastinate most when I make my mosaics.

kuhljeannie--Yay for packing a lunch and using "no choice"!

Royal Athena--Welcome!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #147  
Green Tomatoes

I never managed to make a food plan today. Today was a very low energy after yesterday's hospital adventure and its early start. I ate fine -- some of my healthy eating is getting to be habitual now. Still, I like how taking a minute or two to make a food plan in the evening eliminates dozens of small decisions during the day. Having a food plan improves my life, so I made one for tomorrow.

WI: -1.0kgs (new low!), Exercise: +34, 704/1200 minutes for September, Food: N/A, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Walking Princess: sorry you're having trouble with this, right now. It will come back now that you're making yourself aware of it.

BillBlueEyes: good job on the ideal lunch for you! Those takeout burritos are HUGE, aren't they?

RobinW: good job on fighting off the afternoon munchies -- that's a tough one!

eusebius: good job for feeling more on track. I hope the energy returns, soon.

ChinaMaine: strategizing to walk away from work for 15 minutes sounds like an excellent idea! I printed up a sign that says Move More and put it above my desk. It's helped some.

Nuxmaga:
so glad that the Zumba is back for you!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Stellar eating at a pot luck dinner; CREDIT moi. This was event with eating number three out of five in a four night stretch!!! Tonight has two events with eating - the first one is catered by half a dozen local restaurants with choice food to advertise themselves. Wish me luck.

At gym (CREDIT moi) I realized that I really need to replace my work out Tee shirts with a smaller size. My original thinking was that gym didn't matter so they could be baggy. But baggy clothes block the good feeling about my body that I have when I'm wearing clothes that fit. Gotta shop the Good Will's and yard sales to find exotic stuff with Alaska or Virgin Islands or something.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at discovering that your DH dislikes the vegetables, not the pot roast. Isn't marital communications wonderful, LOL. BTDT. Sending the sand man to keep your eyes shut longer each night.

ChinaMaine - Congrats for being able to work late when the sofa is only 18" away. Good luck finding a way to take short breaks during the day.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for the return of Zumba. Kudos for the "least evil" choice for lunch. Methinks the Beck strategies are great for moving through the many many least evil choices encountered in real life.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay that healthy habits are re-established. LOL at "grumpy DD, who is allergic to morning" - mine was like that. I remember clearly getting snapped at for speaking to her in the morning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the new low scale reading. Yep, I also like that a food plan "eliminates dozens of small decisions during the day."

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Today you'll make your first Response Card, an essential tool that will help you change your mindset and overcome the sabotaging thinking that interferes with losing weight.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 54.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #149  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

(insert curse words not suitable for 3FC here)... So much for being on track yesterday. I was, certainly, and then DH brought KFC home for dinner. ARGH! I could have just not eaten it. Stupid. OH WELL. GET BACK ON TRACK.

Especially frustrating considering I was on my third day on plan, and had gotten up at 5:30 all 3 days to exercise. Well, it will not happen again.

ChinaMaine - awesome job with exercise and staying on plan! Congrats on the new low!!

Nuxmaga - Yay for Zumba and well done making it to the end! I am with you on the calories. Here's to a new day.

gardenerjoy - Totally agree on the food plan. Congrats to you also on your new low!!

Bill - Kudos for great special event eating, and for the gym. Definitely time to treat yourself to a new t-shirt. Why not spend a few $$ on a quality moisture-wicking one! You've earned it. (Yes, I am a shopping enabler, LOL.)

Again posting between weight sets. These ab exercises feel god-awful after KFC. That'll teach me, right??
cheers
Erika
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #150  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default thursday already?

kept looking for that ½ hr yesterday to write my post, and never found it. apologies! this one’ll have to be quick too…i’ve got a con call in 15 minutes. no rest for the wicked. it’s much harder to get my walking in with stuff to do at work. weird, huh?

kara, an observation – you went from “i overate my calorie allowance for a day or two” to “i’m too weak, must be failing, better beat myself up for a little bit” in a single jump! ouch! i’ve been up and down and on and off plan for almost two years now, and one thing that’s abundantly clear is that reprimanding myself like i’m a naughty child doesn’t a) improve my confidence, b) make me feel powerful, or c) help me figure out a better way to handle whatever caused the overeating in the first place. you’re doing FINE! it happens to EVERYONE! please be nice to kara right now – something’s going on with her and she’s having a tough time with it, so she’s turning to food. be a friend, not judge and jury.

finally cracked my copy of “the end of overeating”. wish i had more time to read.

credit moi – ventured downstairs to the new cafeteria, and struggled struggled struggled not to buy a doughnut. man, they looked good. employed the “how will i feel AFTER it’s gone?” technique and got through it. but they will be there tomorrow; i’ll go back to packing my breakfast and avoiding the place altogether in the mornings. my bag of chia arrived yesterday and am having a great time playing with different puddings. seems to go very well with almond milk, raw cacao and agave. YUM. and much better for me than doughnuts.

have to go! cheers, all.
Closed Thread