Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #181  
Practicing Imperfection

A quick check-in. 11,000+ steps, credit. Tracked food, credit. Stayed under calorie goal today, credit. Ordered chinese broccoli with garlic, rather than something fried, and left half the rice--and it was very tasty too--credit.

Feeling aimless and stressed which is usually a trigger for snacking, so I'm glad that I've managed to keep that at bay. Did some knitting--that often helps.

Good night all!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #182  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did well with eating all day, CREDIT moi, until a bowl of mixed nuts called my name in the evening. You'd think I'd never seen mixed nuts before. Oh Well.

Had a legitimate reason to stop in Whole Foods on my walk; sampled a HUGE chunk of swordfish right off the grill. On occasion that place does a top notch sample.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Argh indeed for a kid who thrashes rather than goes to sleep. I was always told that they'd eventually crash, but I never believed it when I was on duty and felt like I would be there all night.

Would seem like your father in you knew you needed a touch of happiness at this moment. Good for you for accepting that.

onebyone - Yay for good art sales even as you continue to process the real feelings about your mother. LOL at your life with drama kitties; hope you survive.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for taking a nap! And Kudos for scaling back when that's what's needed. Sending supportive thoughts to you, your brother, and family for dealing with his relapse.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for sick. Kudos for doing the run anyway.

ChinaMaine - Yay for "spontaneous walking." That's been one of the benefits to me for losing some pounds - I just walk when opportunities arise. Even in little ways like taking something upstairs right now rather than put it on the stairs to grab on the next trip up.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for ordering well and leaving food on your plate at the restaurant. Ouch for "stressed." At least you're not alone; Apparently this is the stressed Beck thread at the moment.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

There'll be plenty of times when your resolve will falter and you'll have sabotaging thoughts, such as:
. . .
Resisting this food is too hard.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 55.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-22-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 232.5/170.8/150

Height: 5'8"

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. I have never posted on a board that had such a nice welcome.

I did terrible this weekend, I think it was that going to start diet monday mentality that was getting to me. I read some of her book and diet. I do not know that I have the time to do all her diet and the way she recommends to do it. I know for a fact I am terrible at tracking my calories and such. However I was looking at the carbohydrate addicts diet and dont' feel that one is one I can follow for life either. So in reading her book and some posts on here I am going to start with her formula for starting calories and counting my calories eveyr day. I am also going to start using the Wii Fit again regularly and plan it in my week.

I was glad to read in ChinaMaine's post that she follows the counting of the calories and baseline for each meal but otherwise doesn't do the beck diet. I maybe should be disciplined enough to plan ahead a week but I just am not at this point. So tracking my food and exercise along with her workbook and the book is where I will start.

If anyone has any comments if they think I should do anything different or if I am setting up wront please let me know.

I love this board, it is so friendly.

Last edited by carla70; 09-21-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Sunday Report

I slept badly both Friday and Saturday night, leaving me tired yesterday morning. I toyed with the idea of canceling a planned trip to Camden for a hike. But, I took a 20 min power nap and headed out. I’m so glad I did – it was a fantastic day. We took a 2 hour hike with 700’ elevation change. The view was beautiful – the ocean, lakes and miles and miles of trees so dense it looked as though you could stroll across the top of them. It’s the kind of hike I’ve been dreaming of –
Afterwards we headed to Camden to enjoy a glass of wine and a view of the harbor. It was after 5 and we were starving. The only item they had on the menu that was gluten free was Nachos. When they told us they were out of Nachos I asked if we could get a cheese and fruit plate since, they didn’t have anything else I could eat. He broght a plate with a lot of fruit, and a ton of cheese. I decided to eat cheese until I was full, but still probably ate more than I should have. (I did have lots of fruit though…) We decided to eat half of our planned dinner at around 8:30 since we had eaten so much earlier. I ended up being okay for calories, but I think I probably could have made some better choices.
WI-(no weigh-in) Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (120m).
Robin I hope things improve for your brother soon. And I hope you keep feeling better, too.

one by one Glad you were feeling a bit better yesterday. Hope the improvement builds during the coming week.

Kuhljeanie You’ve been through a lot the last few weeks. You are right, your diet will go better if you plan each day’s food ahead of time. But, also give yourself more time to get back into the routine of it, if that’s what you need right now.

Anne Hope you are feeling better today.

Margaret Credit for the great choice at the Chinese restaurant – I find Chinese to be one of the most challenging from a diet perspective. Even the healthy sounding foods can have tons of hidden fat and sodium. Kudos for recognizing a trigger for snacking and successfully dealing with it.

Bill Tell the mixed nuts – belay that! You don’t need to hear their manipultive whining.

Carla Good luck on starting Beck today. I’d recommend concentrating on her skills at first, rather than on dieting. If you learn to apply her skills consistently (but not perfectly), you will succeed on your diet. If you don’t take the time to learn the skills, it will be more difficult.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 232.5/170.8/150

Height: 5'8"

I am working on skills of Beck's now and following the workbook. I am making healthy choices and watching portions. I am also working on preparing my calorie/meal notebook for when I start tracking food more consisely.

In the back of my mind I keep wondering if by doing that and following her advice if I would succeed. But also remember reading that I need to do those things to succeed now also. So the book is sinking in as those thoughts are discussed and how I overcome those.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #186  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool free range kitties

Good Morning Coaches

I got a phone call from my sister that my brother waited for me to catch a ride to my mother's house at 7:30 this morning and I didn't show..what was up with that? I had no answer for her. It was sort of a vague understanding that I would go, to me anyway, but not to anyone else. i guess since I didn't talk to anyone yesterday and I got so down over the weekend it just sort of faded from my mind, which has been completely taken over by the comings and goings and growliness of the two cats under this roof. I did get to witness genuine aggression in Kitty X when not one but two neighbourhood free range kitties came and peeked in the screen door. Kitty X raised her fur while growling at them and rushed the door. She didn't do either of these postures with Caesar so there is a big difference to her between these cats.
So many cats. I am sure there is cat fur on my neural connections, causing fuzzy thinking and logic for the coming week or so.

DH is Caesar's person. He's jumped on his lap while he's downstairs on the computer numerous times now (and walked across the desk and onto the keyboard of course) and has even pulled himself up by DH's bathrobe collar and onto his shoulder where he stood straight up and launched himself down from there. He is a total cat.

Oh you guys must be fed up with all this cat talk. I am looking for continuous progress between the two as we leave for DH's brother's wedding one week from this Friday and they will be alone together. Yikes? Not sure if it will be a yikes situation or not.

Today I am out to visit my mom in her new place. I haven't seen it yet. Precipitating my emotional outpouring was news of a bad first night for my mom on Friday but today I hear tell she's visitied someone else's apt already and is thrilled to report that she's the only one with a flat screen tv.

So progress on all fronts is being made.

I missed one weigh-in on Sunday to my surprise, but I weighed myself, once only credit, this morning: 277.4. I am remarkably stable again at this high weight. I've been sitting here for 2 months now: 268-277. Perhaps next week I'll finally get a routine together. Every week since the end of my children's tech job has been a unique series of events. My sister returns to Key West on Wed this week and the house is being emptied out. We found a good local realtor and all signs point to the house being sold in the next month or so. Anyway it's all getting done slowly but surely. I haven't done a thing to further my weightloss/health goals. but, oddly enough, I am not eating my face off either. credit

I have to run but wanted to respond to Carla70 First off hello and welcome. I read your post and the GREAT thing about Beck is there is no doing it wrong. Beck is a way to think sanely about foods and foodplans and how to live well and reach your weightloss/health goals while sticking to a foodplan of your choice. The behaviours we choose around food and eating follow us no matter the plan we choose which is why we focus on the behaviour. My advice is to choose one behaviour like "don't eat after 9pm" or whatever that one thing is that springs to mind for you that is a gut level good thing to do and try to do it consistently, successfully, and don't be in a mad rush to get to "the end" (what is that anyway?). follow her book, do the exercises and let it sink in. it's really worth and probably why i am not eating my face off!

good luck.

have a good monday becksters.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #187  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Coaches - Last week is over, and this week is a new one. That's all I'm going to say (other than the eternal refrain: OH WELL. GET BACK ON TRACK.) I'm lucky only to be up 1 lb and I'm determined to stay centred this week, sticking to the Beck behaviours I know work for me.

just a couple of personals:
Carla - you are doing great! I think calorie counting is a good way to go -- maximum flexibility, and you can always combine it with other habits/nutrition ideas as you go. Stick with Beck and you'll go places

onebyone - I never get tired of cat talk. Literally. I have a Siamese, so my cat talks to me all day. I'd like to know her secret; she's never been more than 8 pounds her whole life (15 years)!

OK, back to work for me. The Yeti can't get me as long as I remain present ...
cheers
Erika
Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #188  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

going home for a nap before my meeting.

food is right on...what there is of it. Water is good and walked to work.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #189  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default time to revisit the plan

i’ve been at a dead stall for almost 6 months as i’ve been sliding and sloshing around somewhere in calorie counting /whole foods land, and it ain’t working. too much on-the-fly decision-making. i love the idea of eating CSA and farmer’s market fresh veggies and proteins, cooking healthy, balanced food every night for dinner, and having ready-to-go-lunches that i’ve made on Sunday night. the reality is that i just don’t have time for that at this point in my life. too much Michael Pollan etc., and i’ve got so many rules around what’s OK to eat that i’ve literally ruled out most of the things that made my original program so successful. time to rethink it. i can’t afford to go back to bistro, but what i’m doing right now isn’t working either. i need to give up the idea that everything that goes into my mouth is whole, organically-grown, no artificial anything, very few convenience foods. for pete’s sake – this weekend i didn’t even have time to get to the store! too unrealistic. i lost most of my weight eating a lot of prepared, fake diet foods, and i liked them. so. understanding it’s not the best and most healthy thing i can do for myself – but continuing to be 40 lbs overweight ain’t all that healthy either, and neither is the stress i’m creating for myself with unrealistic expectations of what i can do. so.

will restructure my plan with packaged and frozen meals, cooking the CSA veggies for sides on the weekends, mail-order what i can (which is a lot!) and every two or three weeks supplementing with jeanstro meals as i can work them in. i’m going to go back to bistro macros (40-30-30) and calories (1600-1700) and i’m also going back to 5-6 meals and snacks (had switched to Jillian-recommended 4.) this week will have to deal as best i can, but there you go. public declaration. will also go back to the exercise i was doing when i was losing – running, and a lot of it! wii ea sports active as time permits, and my daily walk, which i can almost always get to.

personals tomorrow…thanks for letting me think this out!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #190  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Skipped my morning snack at work. That's twice in the past year I've done that. Hoping it's a trend toward not thinking about food every minute of my life. Fulling expected, of course, to see an impact on the scale for the 120 calorie deficit for the day, LOL.

At gym (CREDIT moi) I worked on my mount and dismount for my sets of push ups, figuring that since it's difficult to gracefully get back on my feet there must be some muscles in need of being worked. I'm reminded of my last time downhill skiing while at weight when I was embarrassed that I had difficulty getting up from a fall. Need to get back on ski's and see if I've improved.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for recognizing where you are and making decisions - the very kind of stuff you'd advise your professional clients. I share the awareness that it's easy to take on so many good-for-me constraints that I can lose the battle while I struggle with the tactics. It's good to hear that Jeansto meals will be part of the picture.

onebyone - Kudos for giving yourself credit for holding your own during this stressful period. Hope you visit to your mother's new place went well yesterday. I'd think that the energy you invested in dealing with your grief will help when you confront the reality.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for napping at midday. Methinks your European background is showing, LOL.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for asking the restaurant for what you needed. Ouch for getting "a lot of fruit, and a ton of cheese" - that would have been hard for me to face. I'm drooling over your hike; Maine is such a gorgeous place.

Erika (eusebius) - That's it; we'll all make a fortune peddling your new book, The Siamese Cat Diet: sleep half the day, chatter non-stop while awake, and find someone to take care of all your worldly needs. Strong marketing appeal there.

Carla (carla70) - Kudos for continuing to read your Beck and practicing the strategies in preparation for changing your eating plan. Beck emphasizes that the strategies learned initially are the most crucial part of her plan - things like reading your Response Cards daily, eating sitting down, eating mindfully, and planning ahead at least one day.

Yep, planning ahead for a week may be an advanced strategy, but planning ahead one day is doable; good that you can start there. The big deal is to discover how much easier it is to stay on plan when you don't have to make some 100 choices about food - it's the plan, NO CHOICE.

And Kudos for choosing Wii Fit as your exercise plan. Posters here make that sound like good fun as well as a good workout.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

There'll be plenty of times when your resolve will falter and you'll have sabotaging thoughts, such as:
. . .
I don't think I really want to do this.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 55.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #191  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

OK, 1 day down. I can't believe how difficult it was to get back to this point, but I am back. That's it!!! I need to stay on track now.

I am quite exhausted, whine whine whine. (No cheese with that, please.) The issue right now is the 3 different concert programs in 1 week. One of these was yesterday, so at least it's gone. There were 9 people there (ouch!!!) Classical music marketing: fun times.

Posting again in between weight sets.

Robin - Nice job staying OP!!!

kuhljeanie - Good for you to recognize that perfectionism is as debilitating in dieting as it is in most everything else. (Ask me how I know this ... no wait, don't get me started.) For me I find the Amy's and other organic frozen meals to be a good compromise - lower in sodium generally than the other convenience foods, and tasty. However, I would love to try a Jeanstro meal!! We are all behind you!!

Bill - Interesting that you skipped the morning snack ... I too have "not thinking about food every minute of my life" as a goal. I think the book title has to be: "Siamese Cats Don't Get Fat" (and they are smarter than French women!!)

My DD had a book from the library called "Clever Cat" about a kitty who was so smart that he could open cans and work the TV remote. His owner made him get a job to pay his share of the rent. Finally he got really clever and played dumb, so he could go back to sleeping all day and getting fed. The other cats gave him a "been there done that" look and said "you're just figuring this out now?"

Off to finish my weights and prepare for a very. long. day of teaching. Stay in the moment ...

cheers
Erika
Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #192  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

It still amazes me how depleted I feel. Its almost as if Ive had the flu and started coming around....you know when you start to feel good? Then you do too much and you just feel cruddy? That's how I've feeling since we took the mattress topper off the bed. I sure hope this lets up soon.

It is also effecting my food intake. Both good and bad. Im not hungry, but I can only eat very small quantites of food. Otherwise it seems to mess with my lungs. So Ive been sticking to protein shakes and smoothies.

Ive also cut out the coffee....it just feels like the caffeine bounces around in my body and doesnt have any place to go.

Hubby let me sleep in this morning....hopefully I'll make it thru the speed networking this afternoon!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone,
Just a quick fly by to say hello and that I have not fallen off the Beckwagon. I decided to change my diet after no loss for two weeks, and I have spent a bit of time researching that.

Tomorrow is a not so busy day for me so I will be back with individual hellos then.

Good night!

Kim
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #194  
Lovin' Life

made it thru the speednetworking...then came home and slept until 7:30
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #195  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

another flyby - work is getting stressful again. this is the part i didn't miss...too many people and projects, too many things that i seem to be the only one with the right knowledge/skillset to do. straight from work to class. i overate today, knew i was doing it, felt powerless. not a binge, just constant overwhelming desire that i gave in to several times, taking me over my calories by a good 400. now i'm stressed about my overeating today and wondering if i'm going to have to deal with fighting more desire tomorrow in addition to the non-food-related stress. sigh. OH WELL! sorry about no personals!
Closed Thread