Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #76  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I tried an experiment today with a planned ice cream cone. Since I only go to the dairy once every couple of weeks, I though that might be one treat I could still have without it triggering my foraging behavior. It seemed to work. I enjoyed it and continued sticking with my plan for the rest of the day.

WI: -0.85kgs (new low), Exercise: +52, 371/1200 minutes for September, Food: op

bennyhannahmama: nice to meet you! I use an ice cream freezer for sorbet (one of those new kinds with the gel in the freezer bowl). The recipe is simple -- 2 cups of fruit puree, 1/4 cup of something sweet (I used a mix of unfiltered honey and agave nectar yesterday, but even artificial sweeteners would work) and a 1/4 cup of egg whites (which are optional, but make the texture nicer). I use my blender to make the fruit puree because it has measurements on the side. 1 quart of strawberries makes about 2 cups of puree, but with watermelon I just keep throwing in chunks and pureeing until I get about two cups.

BillBlueEyes: how did the chili turn out? We use all red peppers in our chili, but we roast them first. DH insists that green peppers aren't ripe yet, which is actually true but I like them anyway.

eusebius: so sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Good for you for not bingeing and for working so hard at it. I imagine that built some new neural pathways!

Kim in NH: yay for your credits! You did great!

kuhljeanie: thinking of you!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello,

I'm back! We had a great trip this weekend, it was so much fun! I did really well with my eating. I split every single meal with someone. The only bad thing was for lunch one day when we were in the park and it was like 95 degrees out and we were hot, hungry and tired. Little Man couldn't agree with us on what to eat. Finally dh said we are going here end of story. It was chicken nuggetts and fries. Ugh. I haven't eaten fried food in ages and it did not make my tummy feel good afterwards . I made sure I left a little bit of each item so I didn't eat the whole thing. Plus we did a TON of walking so that was great - I think I got PLENTY of exercise, lol.

Anyway, I'm really, really tired. We got in late last night and then Little Man had a bad dream so I was up with him for a while so I didn't sleep too well last night. I'm going to go to bed now even though it's only 9:10pm

HOpe everyone is doing well. I was op today even though I did like the spoon clean twice (thinking of you Bill!)

Good night,
Kara
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My chili over broccoli slaw was really yummy, CREDIT moi, combined with some particularly strong leftover kale. Just remembering that part of staying on plan for me is having a lunch that I'm looking forward to rather than one that I'm reluctantly eating since I'm on a diet.

Took a good long walk after work, CREDIT moi, noticing that I passed right by Whole Foods without feeling the urge to go in and "forage for treats" - I love that phrase. I'll take one day without that urge with pleasure even if I'm reluctant to think it's gone away for good. I only need to stay on plan; don't need to reach nirvana.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Continue to think of you.

Erika (eusebius) - Kudos for going to the mat but pulling yourself up with positive self-talk (so that's where that expression comes from). And Kudos for "Did. Not. Binge." in response to a rough day. Yay for Pema Chödrön.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yay for running in the rain and feeling life. Kudos for all those dancing broccoli - just love the look of your page.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Yay for "TONS" of walking in 95 degrees. Ouch for fired lunch but Kudos for leaving portions. And Kudos for going to bed at 9:10; sleep's gotta come from somewhere. LOL at licking the spoon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a treat without it triggering your "foraging behavior." Kudos for that. Thanks for the sorbet recipe; I haven't replaced my old clunker ice cream maker from the sixties - your account of watermelon sorbet make me want to act on that. The chili was superb. I didn't think of roasted red peppers; bet they are yummy in chili.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Yay for hearing Barred Owls at night - we never get those in the city although DW was waken by a Screech Owl last week. LOL at your Beagle joining in - perhaps reverting to a nocturnal hunter. Good luck with your lab work; Kudos for bringing you bike for the river ride while the weather is so appealing.

Readers -
Quote:
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

The time you put into getting ready will help you to:
. . .
• Be more conscious of every bite you eat.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 53.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-09-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #79  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Happy Wednesday

Good Morning Coaches

credit I weighed in once today and yesterday: 273.8 and today 271.4
And Wed are my official weigh-in's so I am 271.4 this week. Huzzah!

I spent yesterday morning cleaning in the ceramic room at school and will spend this morning doing the same so this will be short. Class starts at 1pm in there today. I have a few tidying-up duties to do: mopping, vacuuming, sponging down dusty surfaces.

Once done at school it was movie day. We saw Extract, a quiet movie about a very boring character which really caught my curiosity. DH said that film would have been better if it was centered more on any of the other more iteresting characters that the one they picked. I liked it for the same reason. Weird cinematic choice. Interesting.

Once home I got my lease out and walked over to the rec centre, it was open, and got myself signed up for the free swimming pool access and noticed no one was in there at 8pm. I asked the guy if that was usual and he said yes. I said, "Great." Then I asked him about having courses upstairs how you'd do that (submit a proposal to the rec building manager) and when I said I was an art teacher his face lit up. huh. Go figure. He seemed to think it'd be a great a idea cause the sapce is never used. Maybe I can change that?! hmmm.

Anyway, swimming tonight. And my bike tires are still inflated so they hold air. I'll get a tire gauge today (thanks BBE) and get the bike in order. I need some DW40 most of all.

I bought Brain Rules yesterday. Wow. GREAT book. The first chapter on exercise and the brain? FANTASTIC. Worth the price of thebook right there for me. Thanks to those of you in this forum who mentioned that book more than once over the last year or so. I was "meaning to read that" for many months before actually buying it. (wrdanne I think this means you... a Big Hello to you out there!)

Okay a bite to eat and I'm off. I'll check back later. Enjoy your day today.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #80  

Height: 5'7"

Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #81  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

I am into this getting up early thing. Got up at 6 today to go out and walk. Nice to have it done and it feels fabulous to get endorphins even before coffee. Meanwhile both DD and DH are procrastinating, but if they're late for school they can't pin it on me

bennyhannahmama (Kim) - Big kudos for all the great stuff you did yesterday, and glad to hear you're feeling great. It's a great wave to ride.

Kim in NH - Great job with exercise and calorie planning!

gardenerjoy - Nice work with the planned ice cream cone and congrats on the new low in weight!

Kara - Welcome back and great job with your meal-sharing plan while away!

Bill - Totally agree about having meals you can look forward to. It's a lifetime thing, right? Credit for not equating treats at Whole Foods with Nirvana, LOL!

onebyone - Congrats on the loss!! How awesome to have an empty swimming pool all to yourself.

wndranne - back

cheers
Erika
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #82  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default wednesday...still on the tail end of it

my wonderful friends, thank you so much for keeping us in your thoughts. i need/needed it. have been having the craziest conversations with myself about how i’ve been feeling. know it’s healthy to grieve and i need to do it, intellectualizing it anyway and then being surprised at how sad i am, trying to stuff it with chocolate cake and sushi, feeling disappointed and sort of glad cake doesn’t work anymore but the prescribed painkillers do. not going there. still having some physical pain but not enough to justify taking them today. the doc called this morning with the results of the second blood test – HCG levels dropping as one would expect. we’re going to start trying again right away. it’s the only way i can see myself moving forward, especially considering my “advanced maternal age.” ugh.

job thing is still sketchy, still no action on the house. and i’m thinking, come ON, universe! what the **** is going on this year? is there some lesson or message i’m not getting? do we have any intuitive mystic beckies who can help me figure out if i’m supposed to be doing something else, and that’s why everything feels so hard right now?

gotta go count my blessings and take a walk. i promise personals will come…i’m reading everyone’s posts and smiling and cheering.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #83  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Jeanie, I dont have any words of wisdom or explanations. Just "Believe"! "Believe" that everything will happen when and why it is suppose to.

Im finding myself getting on the pc, getting to work....working to get it all done so I can get the heck out of here! Hopefully today I'll be out by noon!

Ive cut my pc time down everywhere else too. Its just all too much sometimes. Im also finding it hard to get in here to post as well.

On to the positive stuff! Ive found an online personal training type website. I am going to give them a go. Probably starting on saturday. The gym is relatively quiet on saturdays and I can putz around the machines with my papers and I wont be holding anyone up.

Food is ok

Exercise isnt there (one gym visit doesnt count much)....does curtain shopping with hubby count? Another reno project that we kinda agreed on

.........Im working it, just need to also focus it!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #84  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Wednesday September 9th

Coaches/Buddies: It's amazing how a day can start off so well and then quickly go down hill It wasn't a bad day, just VERY stressful. BUT, I did not stress eat

So far today I have:

weighed
read advantages cards
checked in here
giving myself credit

Today is another busy stressful day, so I'm really hoping to just stay on top of everything.

Kim in NH: Sounds like you are on track and setting up a good plan. Congrats for the 60 minutes of exercise

gardenerjoy: Good for you for trying a planned treat and I'm glad to hear it went well! I think the planned part is what helps tremendously in keeping things from spinning out of control (at least that's been my experience in the past.) Thanks for the info. on the sorbet. After I asked you, I realized that you probably have one of those machines. My mom is actually giving me one she has when I go back to NY next week, but for now I'll have a bunch of watermelon to eat quickly

Walking Princess: I was around awhile ago and just came back, so it's nice to "meet" you Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful trip! I know what you mean about fried food, that happens to me too. I think it feels so good to know my body doesn't tolerate it anymore though!

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the encouragement and I need to give you some dancing broccoli:

Long walk after work
Not being tempted to go into Whole Foods

onebyone:
Now thank you for mentioning that book, I will add it to my list; it sounds like a great book!
Congrats on the good weigh-in numbers

wndranne: right back at ya'

Okay, I'll be back later (hopefully) for some more personals.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Default 9/9/9/

Coaches/Buddies; 30 min bike ride – credit. Brought my oatmeal in a thermos, and my salad. Ate the oatmeal in the car then during the bike ride found a bend in the river with a tree and nice sitting spot. Couldn’t believe I didn’t think of finding a spot to eat other than the car. Rode back to the car and jury-rigged my supplies onto the rack (what – no bungees?) and returned to have a relaxing lunch. Even brought the book and sure enough – day 5 is eating slowly and mindfully – which I did - credit. Had a planned piece of dark choc. Not long ago I would have eaten the whole bar. Found the 1/3 was just enough and didn’t trigger anything (only brought the 1/3 with me anyhow) but still…credit.

BillBlueEyes; Funny how a bringing a good lunch can be a little ray of sunshine. Good for you knowing staying on plan w/urges is as good as staying on plan w/o.

WalkingPrincess; It’s a very small world, Kara. I am on the LIG team at the walk club –realized today why your name looked so familiar! I think I keep missing you here, maybe we have been posting on alternate days. Anyhow, sounds like your trip was great, and happy anniversary!!

Bennyhannahmama; good for you for not letting 2 stressful days turn into something bigger.

RobinW; Good luck with the personal training. Nice that you can go to the gym when it is not crowded, especially if you’re trying to follow a new routine and do it right.

Kuhljeanie; It’s good to hear from you and know that you are taking time to mend. Sounds like your plate is full right now, hope you can find a way to take one day at a time…and focus on all the good things you have in your life.

Eusebius; Your enthusiasm for mornings is catching. Never been a morning person, but thinking of trying harder. DS #1 has to be at the bus stop at 6:30, so I’m up at 5:50. I got to thinking about coffee and knitting since you mentioned that, two things I don’t usually do until evening.

OnebyOne; Congrats on the loss and the possibility of a pool all to yourself – how nice!

If any of you missed this, Judith Beck now has a newsletter. You can subscribe on her website.

Had a link direct to newsletter #1, but won't let me post it here. It's there on her site, but I remember having to look around for it.

Kim

Last edited by Kim in NH; 09-09-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

This is just a quick fly-by for tonight. We had a great weekend. DH's new dock was a big hit, we were out there quite a bit, including bonfires until midnight. (not bad for a bunch of old foggies...) We took my Mom to the botanical gardens yesterday (she took lots of pics) and out for lobster on Monday (yum!)

I exercised less than I'd like, but did fine. I ate very well most of the time, but ate too many snacks every evening...

Today, I'm back on-plan for both food and exercise, and plan to keep up the habit the rest of the week.

Hello to returning friends (bennyhannamamma) and to Jeanie. to everyone else; I have my piano lesson tomorrow, so I may not get to personals until Friday.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #87  
persist

Thumbs up very quick post

Hi Coaches

So no swimming tonight. I am busy updating my course outlines for the continuing education courses I may be teaching in two weeks if they have sufficient enrollment. The outlines were on my lkaptop hardrived which died and DH and I went to the computer store to get the cable he needed to dump the drive onto his computer.
Old School Solution.
Seems laptop hardrives get swapped out enough that there's a $15 thing you push your hard drive into, a case wiht connectors and voila! Instant disk recovery and external hard drive. I am both amazed that it was so easy and horrified that there's a solution for that. Anyway... I love my outlines! So grateful to have them and this BRAND NEW NETBOOK! So cute! So small! So cheap and MY 1st computer that I bought for myself.

Tomorrow I meet my brother downtown early in the morning and we are driving up to my mother's to help clean the house and give support to my sister and my mom. My mother could be moving into the senior care apartment on the 15th, maybe, it's not clear but it's soon if not exactly then.
Coaches, I plan to swim tomorrow night. Don't let me off the hook.

All the best to you all... kuhljeanie you have been going through a rough year. Some years are like that. Just keep moving one step ahead of the other... all things change and this too shall pass.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #88  
Green Tomatoes

I messed up my schedule and managed to get to the grocery and Whole Foods hungry today. The only thing that kept me from the kettle corn sample at WF was that I was chewing gum. I didn't do that on purpose, but I might next time.

WI: +0.4kgs, Exercise: +55, 426/1200 minutes for September, Food: op

Walking Princess: welcome back! Good job on splitting meals on vacation.

BillBlueEyes: good job building up that resistance muscle!

onebyone: hurray for the scale going down! The empty pool sounds nice -- hope it's fun! Looking forward to hearing about it tomorrow night! Thanks for mentioning Brain Rules. I hadn't heard of that so I just put it on request at the library.

eusebius: way to go on the early morning walks and yay for starting out the day with endorphins

kuhljeanie: great to see your wagon back again! My intuition for you says this is a year to concentrate on eating well and exercise. And that you are doing everything you are supposed to do and being exactly who you are meant to be. Did you know that Jennifer Louden (of Comfort Queen fame) declared this to be Freedom from Self Improvement week? It's on her blog! Really glad to see you're up to posting again. Give your self plenty of time and space to just let this work itself through.

RobinW: Cool on the personal trainer thing. I'll be interested to hear how it works for you!

bennyhannahmama: Good job on not stress-eating and all your other reasons for dancing broccoli!

Kim in NH: great job on working with the book! And thanks for the newsletter tip!

ChinaMaine: glad the dock is working out, especially after you sacrificed your shoulders! Bonfires sound fun!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At our weekly meeting, the food pusher brought in home make dark spice muffins (are muffins exactly the same thing we called cup cakes when we had them in kindergarten?) which were a bit tempting until another guy whipped out a large container of strawberries and blueberries. CREDIT moi for handfuls of good fruit during a work meeting.

Busy after work with DW so missed my gym; Oh Well.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Indeed it's healthy to grieve; we've been through this and were amazed how little support came from the medical community - thank goodness for friends. Alas, the Universe sends no message, but is inclined to stack thinks up a bit from time to time. Clearly it's your time. Hope things start to sort themselves out a bit. Maybe since Hubble is seeing things so clearly after long delays you can take that as a sign from the Universe that you'll see things clearly soon.

onebyone - Yay for tires that hold air. Kudos for getting the swim pass - kinda exciting that you might really set up an art course. Thanks for the reminder about Brain Rules - I put it on my Amazon shopping list. I do like one quote from the first review, "There is a biological need for an afternoon nap."

Robin (RobinW) - Good news on the personal trainer - hope that works out for you. Have the frat boys showed up yet?

Anne (wndranne) - Waving back. Hope there's some cool air in the desert for your bike rides.

ChinaMaine - What a weekend: botanical gardens, lobster, and midnight bonfires on the dock. Kudos for living.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for those morning endorphins. There's nothing like procrastinating in the morning rather than racing out for the treadmill.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Ouch for a day downhill, but Kudos for not trying to stress-eat your way out of it. Thanks for my own dancing broccoli.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Chewing gum while in Whole Foods is a genius idea, Kudos, even if it was a sub-conscious strategy.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Kudos for the stellar demo of day 5: Eat Slowly and Mindfully. Like the notion of a thirty minute bike ride and eating under a tree. Yay for planned dark chocolate.

Readers -
Quote:
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

The time you put into getting ready will help you to:
. . .
• Increase your satisfaction during and after meals so you're less likely to reach for second helpings.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 53.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #90  
persist

Thumbs up Incredibly early on a Thursday to be posting

Hello Coaches

credit one step on the scale for my weigh in: 272.4

Just about to head out to meet my brother downtown in front of his DW's place of work so we both go out to help clean my mom's house. I'm nervous about this-a bit in knots you know? It's going to be emotional for sure.
Oh Well.
I've had emotions. I'll live. And I will remind myself that eating tons of off plan food will not make things better. It'll make things worse as my recent battle with 275 is not something I want to willingingly repeat! I don't need to add emotion to emotion you know?

I look forward to swimming tonight--or just sitting in the jacuzzi if I am tired and sore from the day.

Everyone have a great Thursday if you can
Closed Thread