Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Friday Report

Work is settling down; my PM called me to talk about timeline today. He’s a nice guy and seems very reasonable. So, it’ll work out. I finished up on my old project; sent my documents (still just shy of 500 pages – ha!) off to my old PM. So I’ll just be babysitting that project into the future.
Food was great today. I was really tired today, so went to bed before I got hungry enough to eat my evening snack. Exercise was good too – yoga, core, and walking. I hoped to sneak in a kayak ride, but didn’t finish work until late, so didn’t end up doing it. Oh well…
WI-down .9 lbs. Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (47m).
Margaret Kudos for tracking your food and walking 4500 steps! Yay for resisting the ‘bad cookies.’ Ouch for ‘eating in the car this morning, and usually it's a sign that I am feeling anxious, and wolfing down snacky things.’ Would it help to review your cards when you think about eating in your car? or perhaps have food (and pre-specified portions) you can flexibly choose to eat in the car?

Robin for not eating onplanned food. Credit for recognizing you need ‘to work the program a bit better.’

Kim (in NH) Credit for doing a new ‘30 minute boot camp type DVD’ – I’m impressed! It certainly sounds to me like you are pushing yourself hard enough. Your DSs school sounds so small – where in NH do you live. Are you north, in the mountains?
Re Friday evening post – Credit for doing so well with food most of the day. Ouch for the slip-ups. But you are dead-right that it takes time to learn the skills, and we all slip up even after we have learned them. The skills help us to avoid them as much as possible, and to deal with them positively if they do occur.

gardenerjoy Too bad about the ‘icky tummy day’. I can see where being off-plan due to illness can make it easier to make un-wise food choices. It is difficult to find that balance to eating to feel better today, and eating to be better in the next weeks and months. Kudos for seeing that problem and leaving the kitchen because of it. And for doing yoga although you probably didn’t feel like it. Glad to see you are feeling better again and for continuing to lose weight!

Until last November, I hadn’t done regular exercise in years – I had fatigue from thryroid and pernicious anemia. I should never have given up exercise, because it probably made the fatigue worse. But I ‘listened to my body’. I’ve learned there are times to listen to my body, and times to gently tell it to suck it up.

In any case I started doing wii yoga 10 mins a day, a few days a week starting last November. By January, I was up to 30 mins a day, every day, doing wii yoga and strength training. I didn’t add weights until March when I bought a new wii exercise game (My Fitness /Coach). I’ve been increasing the weights and number of workouts since then. But I’m still at only 3 lbs – so you are no wimp! You are moving along much more quickly than I did. But the little weights are very cute, and pink.

Bill Kudos on skipping the muffins, and especially getting to the gym although you worked late. It’s interesting how you like your gym community.

We have joked about taking the piano out to the dock! It’d be a blast if I could play well. But no one really wants to hear my labored plunking… Last weekend, we did take DHs guitar out, he and my brother played around trying to remember how to play.

Lol for being a member of the clean plate club. If you didn’t have this challenge (and ‘free food’ of course), life would just be too easy. What would you fret about?

Erika Credit for having a positive day with DD in spite of your exhaustion. Ouch for the mini-binge, but it’s great you’ll learn from it. Failure is the catalyst to much of what we learn in life. LOL-Hope you don’t fall asleep learning Shambhala since you are already so exhausted. Have fun and come back relaxed!

Kim (bennyhannamama) It’s nice to see you back and it’s great that using your Beck-skills is having such a positive emotional impact. And kudos for the lost weight too!

one by one The days with your Mom, and family, do sound torturous. It sounds like your plan for your Mom would be better for all, but it’s not something you can control. You are doing everything you can in the situation. For now, it is probably best to take it one step at a time…

Kuhljeanie You are really facing so many challenges at once. Life is like this sometimes. It will pass; in time life will be better and easier. That probably doesn’t help at all now, but you have our support. Wish I could offer something more substantial… But you are right to also focus on what is good in your life. DH and el nino are healthy and you have each other. I hope you have a quiet, relaxing weekend…
Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #107  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

just a quickie! Im off today, and plan to stay home and get some more wallpaper peeled, some laundry done, new curtains ironed and rehung, and cook a lovely roast for dinner That's the plan!

Have a great saturday everyone!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Hello,

Coaches/Buddies; Did my 30m boot camp workout (credit). It is supposed to be a 6 week program. We’ll see if I can go from Private Benjamin to GI Jane in that time – here’s hoping.

Made a batch of chili (with Cilantro – thanks Bill for that idea). The boys had it over mashed potato, I had mine over whole wheat cous cous (credit) and a little sweet potato on the side. I was going to make a meat-free batch but then skipped it. There is so little beef in a ladle full. BUT, it would have been easier to calorie count w/o the beef.

RobinW; sounds like a wonderful day at home, hope you enjoyed it.

ChinaMaine; I should have figured it out by now, but haven’t – what do you do for work? Editing?
Great job on the exercise…every time I see the word kayak I think about it. There a few mom’s here in town that have them and get out after the kids go to school (no soaps and bons bons for these gals). I’ve rented one a few times and I think I’d enjoy it. It’s great you can get right out without loading on a vehicle, it must be a treat. We have a stream and beaver damed pond – we leave the canoe back there but with all the trees it is hard to get around except when the water is high enough.
I’m in Francestown. (30 minutes NW of Nashua). It is the edge of the Monadnocks (the little mountains in the SW corner of the state.) Far enough out without being too far from a Home Depot. I had to look up China, Maine as I had no idea where you were. It looks like a nice area. Back in the days before kids we’d vacation in Acadia - all I really know of Maine's vastness – 4 times I can remember, in fact that was my first kayak experience.

BillBlueEyes; Yay for patient rainclouds, not so yay for neural pathways that remain open. Good for the moment of recognizing when you had had enough. I have started to really notice the 20 minute delay of eating and feeling of fullness. I am still working on knowing what is the right amount of food, especially something heavy like we had tonight (chili) – I feel uncomfortable now like I overate and that was two hours ago.

Gardenerjoy; glad you are feeling better!

OnebyOne; good for you hanging in there with so much going on. Seems to me it is unfair that stress does not burn more calories – it certainly drains us more than exercise does.

Have a good night everyone,
Kim

Last edited by Kim in NH; 09-12-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #109  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We made broccoli stir fry today for the first time in weeks. Yummy and healthy, but I remembered a problem when I smelled the rice cooking. I used to finish my supper and then eat more rice. So, I told my husband that I used to do that and that I was not doing it tonight. So, I didn't. The extra servings are safely refrigerated to be the base of future healthy lunches.

WI: -0.05kgs, Exercise: +50, 548/1200 minutes for September, Food: op
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: good job on recognizing the rice situation -- I'm sure that's the first step in rewiring the brain. And, yay, for walking just before the rain hit!

ChinaMaine: glad the work situation is straightening itself out. Thanks for the encouragement on the exercise -- your experience is inspiring. Persistence seems to be the key.

RobinW: hope the wallpaper removal went well.

Kim in NH: good job with the boot camp. The chili sounds delicious!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-12-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Hi,

Sorry I haven't posted most of the week. It's a combination of being very busy at work and feeling a bit ashamed of myself. My tv had been out for a week (just finally got it fixed) and it's been 98 degrees outside that whole week so needless to say I haven't had much exercise. I tried to stay on track eating wise but goofed a few times. It wasn't anything major until yesterday. I was having cravings all day. I finally broke down and let's just say I blew it BIG time. I was really upset with myself. How can I throw away everything I have worked so hard for. I have no idea what set the whole thing off. I was a little stressed from work but nothing I think I would have eaten as much as I did though. Maybe it was hormonal? I have no idea. I have no desire to do that again. Lesson learned. On the plus side, I still despite how bad I did yesterday didn't eat as bad as I used to in that situation. I still ate less. It was just still way more than I needed. Decided I should fess up to my Coaches here and move on. Today went better and I got 45 min of exercise in (my tv is fixed so I can do my workout dvd's again). Let's hope for a better week!

Bill - great job at recognizing that you were satisfied. I understand not being able to stop sometimes. It happens. As you and Beck said, Oh Well. I'm a member of the Clean-Your-Plate-Club too. It's a hard habit to break. Good for you for going for a walk despite the impending rain. I'll bet you felt proud of yourself that you had done that!

ChinaMaine - kudos to a great day op! You did wonderful and you should be proud

Robin - hope you had a great day!

Kim in NH - kudos for doing your workout today and for picking a healthier side dish. Great job! The chili idea sounds really good!

Gardner Joy - great job on not eating seconds on your favorite meal. I'll bet you feel great! I almost had second tonight but then recognized the sabatoging thoughts and put the leftovers away
Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs down Not clearly Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOh View Post
Wowza, what a friday report!
Good Morning TomOh,

That's some impressive typing to post on 26 different threads in your first early morning forty minutes of posting on 3FC, culminating in a link to the site that sells the cleansing and fasting shakes.

The Beck plan is a set of strategies that does indeed includes chose your own diet - but the fasting part of the "cleansing and fasting" site you link to seems outside of the kind of eating that Beck recommends, and apparently 3FC as evidenced by 3FC substituting those ******** for the name of the company.

Post here again when you're interested in Beck.

ETA: Congrats to the 3FC monitors who took down all posts by TomOh. Apparently they, too, were a bit suspicious.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-13-2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added the ETA line
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day at the gym (CREDIT moi) outside of my time slot. Glad that I don't compare; not me. This college kid was lifting his knee to his waist, then grabbing it and lifting it to his shoulder. His shoulder. Shudder. But one man, rather buff and much younger than me, was using the same dumbbells that I use; so there.

Eating was OP included using the last of my batch of chili for dinner with DW; CREDIT moi. Cool and rainy around here.

Updated my ticker to register 4 Years along my new journey. For some reason I believe that making five years is a good indicator that you might just stick to it. Feeling like I'm on the way.

Robin (RobinW) - Love the smell in the whole house when a roast is cooking.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for skipping your evening snack just because you weren't hungry. I'll try to remember that since I don't think I've ever skipped mine.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Broccoli stir fry is so yummy. Kudos for planning to avoid the extra rice.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Kudos for fighting that "throw away everything" feeling and getting right back on track. Methinks that's about the biggest step in making this long term - getting right back on the wagon.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Yay for figuring out how to have the same meal as your family with a mod to make it yours - whole wheat cous cous is yummy. Kudos for working that 20 minutes to feel the satiety thing.

Readers -
Quote:
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

The time you put into getting ready will help you to:
. . .
• Feel more accountable for every calorie you consume.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 53.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #113  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Another quick checkin from me - The Shambhala workshop was fantastic, and I feel I have some new tools for my journey. That said, I got home totally exhausted to find that DH and DD had ordered pizza and fries. Not a good scene, all told. Oh Well ... a new start once again. I think with proper sleep I'll be well equipped now.

Bill - Congratulations on 4 years!! You're such an inspiration to all of us here. Here's to many more successful years with Beck.

cheers
Erika
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #114  

Default Saturday Report

Saturday was a lazy, somewhat productive, day. There were grey skies here all day, but the rain stayed south of us. I did a 30m upper body workout, took Moose on a brisk 30m walk, and kayaked 40m. So it was a great workout day – credit! Food was on-plan too. Credit moi.
I also spent a few hours logging all our expenses for the month, ouch! But it’s done and we know we have belt tightening to do for the remainder of the month. Oh well…
As a reward, I worked on this week’s practice piece for piano. It’s a classic Spanish guitar piece ‘Malaguena’. It’s the first piece in a couple of months that is coming easily, and it’s fun to play. My DH came up and started accompanying me on guitar. It was SO much fun. And then before dinner, we went out to the dock and had a bonfire. I really do feel lucky to live where I do…
WI-down .9 lbs. (new low!) Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (100m).
Robin Sounds like a busy plan for Saturday – hope it was a good one.

Kim (in NH) Here’s to meeting Private Kim in 5 weeks or so! I do software design and write these ridiculously long docs for the development team to write code from. I like kayaking a lot. My favorite exercise is hiking -- and, for me, kayaking is like hiking on the water. I like kayaking more than canoeing because you can go a bit faster, and I can handle the boat by myself. You live in such a pretty part of the state. We rented a cottage near Mt Sunapee 16 years ago, it was gorgeous. My brother lives in Derry, but it’s not as scenic there as it probably is by you… China is very pretty, but no mountains.

gardenerjoy Kudos for breaking the old rice habit. Were you hungry after dinner? Credit for being op for food and exercise!

Walking Princess It’s too bad you had a mini-binge, but it’s great you ate less than you would have in the past. Be sure to keep that in mind, rather than just focusing on the mis-step. I find it helps to figure out my calories for the day and see how much I exceeded my calorie goal for the day. Usually, it’s not as bad as I would have guessed. It helps me to keep me from beating myself up too much and focused on the fact that it’s something I can work on avoiding in the future. Just an idea…

Bill for 4 years! You should be very proud of all the work you do every day to have reached this milestone. You give us confidence, day in and day out, that each of us can succeed if we keep at it consistently. Lol at comparing yourself to others at the gym. But, wow – that college kid is flexible!

Erika I’m glad the workshop was so successful. How is your sleep going otherwise? I’m thinking I may try the CBT book you used… Ouch for the fattening foods DH and DD had on hand. But today is a new day.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #115  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Sunday not as planned

Hi Coaches

I planned all week to get to the downtown farmers market today but, alas, given the week I had I didn't get the basics taken care of like, how will I get a table dowtown and back and which table? Do I even have a suitable one? I am pretty bummed about not being there as I am typing this. It's amazing weather. Not too many weekends of outdoor selling left.

A big Beck OH WELL to this for today.

There will be an other opportunity come Saturday. I'll have to make this a priority this week to be ready to go on Saturday. My friend offered me her Coleman camping table which folds in half and is lightweight with a handle and that's exactly what I need *boring* though it is as a display. SIGH. Right now I just have to get there and that will get me there. My work will have to provide the pizzazz.

So this week I have to spend some time with the hard-to-be-around/hard-to-please ceramic instructor. My guess is we are discussing glazes. Ugh. I must take the longview wiht this job. I am grateful for it as it will provide for the me the means to make a killing in 2010. Yep, this is definitely the longview!

I am onto something ceramic wise though. I showed my sister my ceramic buttons, my prototypes and she was thrilled by them. She felt like she was getting away with something by me giving her so many of them. She was the intended recipient when I made them over a year ago, but at the time we had a big falling out so she never got hem and then I couldn't do anything with them out of guilt so now I can move forward and apparently should!

Yay for moving forward.

Foodwise I am doing okay. credit weighed once to see 273.0

Guess that's it. I'm off for the very enjoyable day ahead of me.

BillblueEyes 4 years! & here's to 4 more (plus more)! You show us what it takes to get four years, or four days! Thanks.

ChinaMaine Credit for the exercise and the OP food and the ever increasing guitar skills! I am happy to read how much you enjoy where you are. Awesome.

eusebius Oh I so relate to finding pizza takeout at home and giving in to it's charms. Oh Well it happens. Nice to hear you got a lot out of the Shambala workshop... enjoy your Sunday!

Walking Princess credit for coming her and confessing and bigger credit for just moving on. It's the best thing we can do for ourselves... credit credit credit.

gardenerjoy I too have a love of extra rice. I especially love plain cold rice freshly made and can eat lots and lots of it. Go figure eh? Kudos for doing something about it and acceptance of your own triggers--even bigger kudos for that!

Kim in NH Credit for the bootcamp success and for allowing yourself meat when you wanted meat. I have found that when I restrict these small things I often, later, rebel in a Big Way.

RobinW I hope your house looks as fantastic as it sounds like it's going to be! Have a great relaxing Sunday.

Everyone I missed. I'm off to catch a bus...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #116  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I feel like myself again today. I had a nice bike ride yesterday, and so far today eating has been reasonable. I read my RCs and am making a plan (at least a mental one) for tomorrow. I spent an hour or so chopping mirepoix for cooking in the next couple weeks. It has been a long time since I cooked. I found chopping was very centering.

Swimming tomorrow.

Am I back? I don't know. I'm trying again. Sooner or later it will stick.

And I'll start personals with Bill since I have to start somewhere, and if I have to go back to June, I'll be here way longer than my children will be napping.

BillBE Just awesome work on 4 years. I think you've got it! And, well, had a nice moment imagining your gym and the young man therein. Thanks for that too. Heh.

Erika Glad you got some useful stuff out of your workshop. Ah the great pizza dilemma. Here's to fresh starts.

ChinaMaine Lazy and productive. Woot! Love your musical reward!

onebyone Sorry to hear the farmers' market didn't work out. Did you get a list of stuff to get ready for the next one?

Hugs to kuhljeanie, and wave to everyone!

Anne
Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #117  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Ive got some pinched things happening in my hand and lower left leg. Something Im blaming the chiropractor for...Im not happy about this, and rather ticked Its been getting steadily worse all week since my last visit. I go back tomorrow morning. Once she gets this mess fixed, that will be it for me.

Got a big pot of creamy protein celery soup made, a mess of salmon patties cooked up for lunches and a big crustless spinach quiche all cooked up! So Ive been busy and getting my food in order for the week. Even have some chicken thighs thawing for tomorrow's supper.

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day....got alot done, but not much. kwim? I emptied out the garbage can about 5 times I still need to do more tossing!! Not much paper was removed off the walls, but Im getting there.

Bathroom reno is starting in about 4 weeks, and I want to have all the paper off these walls downstairs (because we are having ceiling work done at the same time) I was actually able to talk dh into changing the walls down here!! Big huge Kudos to me for that one Now if I could just talk him into a dog.

Thats it here...have a wonderful evening everyone!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Quick one tonight.

Coaches/Buddies; Did well with food today, and did 30min of exercise. Read day 7 of the book, which involved removing unhealthy foods from sight. These things I had done a while ago, but still nice to read through to see if I am on track.

BillBlueEyes; Congrats on 4 years. I look forward to that number someday.

Need some off computer time, so will check back tomorrow. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Kim
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #119  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default weekend quickie

dear coaches,

thanks (AGAIN!!!) for your support. means the world to me since there aren't a lot of folks IRL who know everything that's going on with me. turns out that the million little decisions led to another engagement at a new (for me) client that starts either tomorrow or tuesday. either way is wonderful; word on the street from the account mgrs is that sales have started picking up again, my last client is aggressively trying to find another project for me when the new one ends in a couple of weeks, so i may actually be out of the woods job-wise. house is still a big WTH??, and still working through the M/C emotional stuff, but a giant stress ball is removed by knowing that paychecks will continue for the foreseeable future.

as far as beck and diet & exercise...hard to be on plan when i don't have a plan these days. will have to see what the new client scene is like before figuring out the workouts there, but i'll find some way. i'm not gaining - all through this **** sandwich of a year i've managed to maintain. gently stunned by that and looking forward to a new period to reach new lows. it may be a while - we'll be actively TTC for the next little bit. if you could, please keep us (and the health of my plumbing) in your thoughts or prayers or meditations or whatever flavor thing you're into. here's to the second half of 2009 being a LOT better than the first.

congrats bill - wow. what an inspiration you are.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #120  

Default Sunday

DH and I tried to take a hike today, credit! The hike was supposed to take us to the summit of a small mountain with nice views of a large-ish lake. But the book’s description of the ‘trail’ bore no resemblance to the maze of uneven snowmobile trails we actually found. In spite of that, we got a good walk in trying to figure out where we were supposed to go. Eventually we gave up and walked back down to the lake, and along its shore to our parked car. We got rained on, saw 3 beautiful horses and scared a chicken – so an interesting walk indeed.
I got the NYTimes at the supermarket, so had a nice read while DH dozed on the dock with me. Food was pretty good. I ate a few more crackers than planned for my afternoon snack, but not so many that it pushed me over my calorie limit for the day. Credit again!
WI-up .4 lbs. Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (88m).
one by one Credit for being op for food! Good luck getting all your ducks in a row for next Saturday.

Anne for feeling like yourself again. I agree that cooking can be very centering. Since DH is laid off, he does almost all of the cooking so I usually only help when we have company. (not complaining though )

Robin Grrr for ‘pinched things and hope you get it fixed tomorrow. Your food for the week sounds yummy – credit!

Kim (in NH) Glad you are doing well with food and exercise.

Kuhljeanie for continued employment. It really is a wonderful thing. I do hope the rest of this year is better than the last months have been.
Closed Thread