Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #151  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Bill! Thanks for the sandman!! He came, did his job, and I slept until the alarm went off!

I just wanted to post a quickie right now....everything is good & the scale is moving in the right direction.

I have a little story to post about the last week and a half...but I'll do that later.

I may actually get out of the shop early today (because I was so befuddled the last couple days) I have everything done early!

Eating is op...exercise will commence in a couple days.

Oh! Erika....I was cured from eating KFC for forever after watching video of local a KFC restaurant that was infested with nasty critters! OMG!!!!! You can find very similar videos on youtube. But dont watch it if you really like KFC

Im off to starbucks to get coffee and lattes! Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #152  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Yesterday was right on plan. Today is good so far. Work continues to be OK, which is a huge help. Got back on the mountain bike today for the first time since my crash about 3 weeks ago. I had a nice time out there.

I'm giving a near-veggie diet another go. I feel better when I eat that way.

gardenerjoy Nice work on sticking to your plan with your St Louis Bread company stop! Here's to habitual healthy eating.

Kara I've been working on the new lifestyle for almost 7 years now, and frequently reset. Hang in and keep trying. It usually comes back for me.

BillBE I'm doing a big batch of lentils too. Yum. Nice work on the food leaving. You've earned those smaller T-shirts.

RobinW Sending sleepy vibes to get you through the morning. Looking forward to your story.

Erika Love the "allergic to morning" observation! Hope you get your energy back soon. Sorry about the KFC thing. You WILL get back on track.

ChinaMaine Way to go on the new low!!

Nuxmanga Hope you enjoyed Zumba!

Jeanie Hooray for out-thinking that donut!

Anne
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #153  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Well, my surgery consult was cancelled for the 2nd time today, and it will be another week until I have an appt. And I found myself thinking "Whatever snack you want, you can have it," but had enough Beck thoughts to reign that in. I resisted ordering chocolate chip pancakes for dinner, and although I ate every last bit of what I did order, it at least had nutritional value.

7500+ steps, credit. Tracked food, credit. Just a few calories over my goal for the day. I'm bar graphing my daily calories--it's a way to quickly see the trends, and it amuses me. . .

I need to get off the computer, but I did want to say Yay!!!! to Kuhljeanie for passing by the donuts. Donuts so have my number, so any resistance is a victory in my book.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #154  
Lovin' Life

My little story.....

3 weeks ago I ordered 4 inch memory foam mattress topper from one of my fav. online shopping sites.

It came, we unrolled it, aired it out for 3 days like it said then put in on the bed.

First night was awesome!!! It felt sooooooo good on my back. Even my knee felt less stress by the day before yesterday.

Turns out this is the only positive thing that has happened with this mattress topper.

Im asthmatic but I havent needed my inhalers for more than a day or 2 when I had a cold, or the cats next door while visiting started to bug me. I have one inhaler Ive been using for the last 7 yrs!!! Never before heard of before I moved to Buffalo. Ok, anyway......

Ive got nerve issues in my leg, and hand

Ive got pain radiating across both my shoulders

Intense pain in my chest from anything I may have eaten that has artificial sweetener in it (this took about 3 days to figure out what was causing the pain)

Unable to focus or concentrate!!!

Unbelievably tired all day, but up at 5am for days!

Weird stuff with my stomach and how much food seems to fill it. (extremely little)

Hyper sense of smell.

General feeling of yuckiness and dont know why I feel so bad!

Yesterday morning I wake up and have an epiphany! Its the mattress! Im allergic to the mattress topper!!

Dh and I took the topper off the bed yesterday, and today its like night and day!!!

Unfrigginbelievable! Even my knee hurts again I can focus and concentrate on my work, I feel good, Im not tired the pain in my chest is gone, as is the pain in my shoulders!

Ive been doing alot of research on detoxing the body, only because I now know there is alot of crud in my body. Ive drank enough water the last couple days to sink a boat. I started the intense water intake before I figured out the mattress topper thing, because I thought I needed to flush out what ever was going on with me. Obviously I did!!

I also did some research on side effects from these types of toppers (memory foam). Seems its really hard to find this info. I managed to find one (only one) site that listed the side effects from these things. I was stunned!!!

I always read the reviews on products do quite a bit of research before making a big purchase like this. But I never thought to research side effects of memory foam! Wow! $150 lesson learned.

We've gone thru 2 boxes of baking soda on the bed trying to get the smell out of it left from the memory topper. Its getting there. We've been stripping the bed, pouring the soda on, and putting the fan in the window facing out. Its almost gone!

Its been interesting to say the least!

Moral of the story....if you are sensitive to chemicals, have allergies, asthma....stay away from the memory foam mattress toppers!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #155  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I got a haircut this morning at a brand new place during it's Grand Opening. They gave away goodie packs to all their customers -- much of the goodies were candies. They all went straight into the trash when I got home. That's a first for me! It might have been tempting if it were good candy. But, it was maltodextrin-filled junk, so bad that I didn't even want to save it for any kids that I know -- they shouldn't be eating it either!

WI: +0.6kgs, Exercise: +70, 774/1200 minutes for September, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: congrats on the pot luck stellar eating! That sort of event is such a minefield. I hope your two-event evening went just as well.

eusebius: good for having a new strategy against KFC.

kuhljeanie: good job on resisting doughnuts -- that has been the most persistent craving for me, recently, but I've resisted as well. It is getting easier. It helps that my local supermarket just opened up in a new location -- I'm pretending that the new store doesn't have a bakery.

wndranne: so glad you were able to get back on the bike!

Nuxmaga: Yay for Beck thoughts reigning in the "whatever I want" urge! I love that the bar graph of calories amuses you. Whatever it takes!

RobinW: What an experience with the memory foam! I'm so glad that you figured that out. And thanks for the warning. I have multiple allergies and have worked hard to make sure that my bed isn't one of them!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default I want it to be Friday now

I did my upper body workout and walked Moose. I didnt make the time to exercise during work today even though I worked 11 hours. This new project will eat me alive and leave me a husk if I give it permission to do so. This is my responsibility to make it work for me and still do a good job. Tomorrow is my last chance to try and create some reasonable boundaries and expectations for myself at work. If I dont make time to walk away and exercise, its time to pull out the The Feel Good Handbook and reacquaint myself with CBT the old fashoned way.
WI-down 1.1 lbs. (new low!) Made a plan, read my cards. Food op, Exercise op (47m).
Margaret that zumba is back. Ouch for being over on calories. I have a bad memory whats the surgery consult for again?

gardenerjoy that healthy eating is getting to be a habit. I agree about the food plan when I get away from it for a few days, I start making bad decisions. Its worth the 10 minutes it takes I like your sign idea, let me think about how I could do something similar, yet different. My living room is my office, so hanging inspirational signs isnt in the cards. But I might be able to something on my computer.

Robin Ouch for the memory foam. Im glad you figured it out.

Anne Nice that food is back on plan, work is better, and you had a fun bike ride. The latter, especially, must make the world feel like a better place.

Kuhljeanie Good move to avoid the cafeteria for breakfast.

Erika Maybe its time to talk to DH about what he can do to help you be successful? Im sure hed want to help and may not really get how he can do so Just a thought.

Bill Kudos for another potluck success story! Great idea to buy t-shirts that make you feel good about the size you are.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My Beck thinking carried me through two events last night. With the $50 ticket already paid, the spread from some dozen local restaurants was FREE food. But, I consumed mostly plants - including a to-die-for organic black bean burger (split with DW), a mess of grilled veggies from the tony place where I'd paid some $20 for that as my entree, a wad of salad, and one (1.0) small BBQ rib while my table mates were eating them in piles; CREDIT moi. And yes, I had a small piece of apple pie justified by eating the apples out of the middle and leaving the crust saying that that substituted for my evening snack of an apple, LOL. The Ben and Jerry's vanilla ice cream on top was justified by asking for a "small scoop" and stopping the scooper at "Are you sure that's all you want?"

Apparently, my justification muscle remains strong.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yay for having work to do at work. Kudos for thwarting donuts with “how will i feel AFTER it’s gone?” early on in your relationship with that cafeteria. Now it knows its place; the pecking order is established. Proceed with life. What draws you to Chia seeds?

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats for getting back in the saddle. Kudos for being aware that "a near-veggie diet" makes you feel better.

Robin (RobinW) - What a story!!! You'd think such extreme reaction from memory foam would be better documented. You could run up a fortune in medical bills chasing that down. Congrats for figuring it out so quickly - don't think I'd have ever guessed.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for 11 hours of non-stop work with Moose in sight looking like a walk was needed. Good luck in setting your boundaries and expectations today.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for the full cycle: being aware of the sabotaging thought, "Whatever snack you want, you can have it," using your Beck strategies to kill it, and for giving yourself credit. The full hat trick.

Erika (eusebius) - KFC is evil. There was one three blocks from my bachelor pad where I'd drive to pick up an obscene amount quite frequently. My clucking muscle was in good shape.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Throwing away candy immediately is so cool - wish I could do that. Congrats for the courage to go to a brand new place for a haircut.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

. . .
Response Cards are index cards (or the equivalent) that contain important messages to help you counter your sabotaging thoughts.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 54.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-19-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #158  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

I was OP with eating and exercise yesterday. I'm hoping this was not a freak occurrence. Tonight DD has a sleepover, so we are planning to go out to a TexMex place and then see a film. I have my menu planned in advance - a few chips & salsa, chicken fajitas, 1 glass of wine. NO popcorn. Perhaps I can still salvage this week.

Thanks everyone for the confirmation that yes, KFC is the most tangible evidence of evil on the face of the earth. There really is nothing worse.

Must run this morning - ridiculous amount of work to do today. to all my coaches.

cheers
Erika
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 202.5/202.5/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Question

Good Morning - I just received my Beck book last night and am going to read it this weekend, the workbook is scheduled to arrive next week.

My main question is that I see the diet outlined in the book. I was first under the impression you pick a diet plan and then Beck's phsychology would help you stick to the plan.

I am wondering if I misunderstood. How many follow Beck's plan or another? I am undecided right now but looking at the plan a bit last night it seems like a good plan also. I have been trying to do low carb, however not much progress.

Thank you in advance.

Carla
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #160  
Lovin' Life

Hi Carla and

I follow my own plan (lower carb) but follow Dr. Beck's teachings. (most of the time) In her first book, there was the option to pick your own plan....the 2nd book outlined a plan to follow if you want to.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #161  

Thank you for the reply, that is what I got was the second book. I couldn't afford all three so had to pick for now and took the second book and the workbook.

May I ask are you just doing your own lower carb or following one of the low carb plans?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #162  
Lovin' Life

was doing atkins for quite a while, but now its pretty much no bread, pasta, white flour or refined sugar.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #163  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla70 View Post

My main question is that I see the diet outlined in the book. I was first under the impression you pick a diet plan and then Beck's phsychology would help you stick to the plan.

I am wondering if I misunderstood. How many follow Beck's plan or another?
Hi Carla - Welcome! I am on Weight Watchers right now. I have Beck's first book The Beck Diet Solution, which doesn't prescribe any specific diet plan. I believe it's the second book, Beck Diet for Life, which contains a plan to follow.

Regardless of which plan you choose, Beck's strategies can help you stay on it!

cheers
Erika

Last edited by eusebius; 09-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #164  

I am excited to read about her strategies, in just purusing it a bit last night it looked very good.

I like how I feel on low carb but also would like something more family friendly and with church/school functions easier to stay on a plan.

Thank you for all your ideas and insite. I can't wait to get some time at home to read more on this thread of ideas and support.

I am looking forward to reading about this.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #165  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

carla, i also have beck's first book. i do calorie counting and have macronutrient ratios i try to hit (and i'm also eating mostly whole foods.) welcome!

hey everyone...they've got a GYM here! and i'm allowed to use it! i'm adjusting the plan to keep my calories a little higher and increase the activity to work with that. i'm just happier when i can eat more and not feel like i'm off-plan.

robin, YAY on figuring that out! my in-laws got a sleeper sofa that we used for the first time last x-mas with that foam topper, and i had a headache inside of an hour of (trying to) sleep on it. may have stumbled on something big. i'm also trying to lessen the bioburden of all the toxic crap everywhere but sometimes you gotta pick your battles, you know? found great paraben and phthalate free conditioner, eyeliner, not so much. am also less than enthused with tom's of maine deodorant, though i can wash it off which makes me think it's a better thing to put on my skin every day. sigh.

this is a flyby...happy weekend everyone! happy new year! tomorrow is the grand confluence of rosh hashannah AND talk like a pirate day. what are the odds???
Closed Thread