Old 02-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 207/165/165

Height: 5.5

Looking for some advice from those of you that have done well on this program and continue to try and figure things out.
I have been on program for 7 weeks and am looking to finish by the third week in March.
My question is as I have been back on protocol for a relatively short time, do I need two weeks in phase 2 and two in phase 3 or could I do one each and stay on program longer.
I am happy with my weight at this time. All my clothes fit again but would like to lose another 4 to 6 #.
I need to be phased off by March 22 for several reasons so just trying. To figure out the best way to do it.
Thanks for your help. Everyone seems to be doing so well.
Largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #167  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Forgot to say I ordered some skin-fold calipers from Amazon. They should arrive tomorrow. It made more sense to spend $15 on my own pair than pay the gym $40 every time I wanted to be measured. :/
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #168  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post
Looking for some advice from those of you that have done well on this program and continue to try and figure things out.
I have been on program for 7 weeks and am looking to finish by the third week in March.
My question is as I have been back on protocol for a relatively short time, do I need two weeks in phase 2 and two in phase 3 or could I do one each and stay on program longer.
I am happy with my weight at this time. All my clothes fit again but would like to lose another 4 to 6 #.
I need to be phased off by March 22 for several reasons so just trying. To figure out the best way to do it.
Keep in mind that P2 is a weight loss phase, so if you're not at goal at the end of P1, you may lose a little more if you do two weeks of P2. But if you're at goal at the end of P1, I see no reason you couldn't do a week of P2 and then go on to P3. Personally, I think it's good to do P3 for at least two weeks, but there are people who do one week each of P2/P3.

You've got 5 weeks until March 22. With 4-6 pounds to lose, I'd probably recommend staying on P1 for two more weeks, then a week of P2, then two weeks of P3.
If you're not close to goal in two weeks, then maybe stay on P1 a few more days, and adjust P2 to 5 days, and P3 in whatever time you have after that.

(I'm doing a brief P1 reboot, and I plan to do just 5-7 days of P2, then go on to P3.)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

HIS - as a long-time low carb follower I can tell you that you will find information to support just about any type of nutritional plan out there, with science to back up their claims. I would suggest also looking at: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Just about any RW article about carbs / fueling will have a couple people knocking it / swearing by LCHF - and using fat for energy. I truthfully don't know what to believe anymore - or it may come back to a 'what works best for YOU' scenario...
Here is my personal experience:
When I started training for the Marine Corp years ago, I was 28 and doing a ketogenic diet - the most mileage I was ever able to complete, without bonking, was 4...but I was LCHF AND low calorie - basically IP, but pre-IP (looking back, it was honestly stupid and dangerous...)

I am now 39 but with the calories / carbs, (relatively ) easily completing 8+ miles on long runs now - and this is only 11 weeks into training. I might be sore afterwards, but that is par for the course of course I am worried about scale creep but I would be lying to say it's the training - its what I am choosing to eat - especially when I get overwhelmingly hungry, or stressed out.

I find days where I've run after a low carb day have been awful, and I have the data to prove it - BUT, that said, I've read it can take 2 to 3 weeks for the body to adjust to burning fat properly to fuel runs.

Again, I can only give you personal experience, and haven't even really tried or thought about changing fueling sources at this point - we are only 3.5 weeks out from the 13.1, so I'm sticking with what works I wish you the best & if you choose to go ketogenic, will follow with great interest!

I also just saw on the FB page a poster talking about their clinic adding a P4 maintenance clinic and it was very interesting to read that their evidence is showing that in the first year of P4, maintainers generally needed to reboot twice. Then in the second year, one reboot...and then 3+ years seems to be when everything gels.

BTW - Congrats on the -8: You never said how far past goal you went, but sounds like you are close to where you'd like to be again
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWi View Post
I wish I had you all when I was phasing off the program during the summer. I really needed someone to bounce ideas off of. I did OK for three months, but Thanksgiving and all of a December were a huge challenge for me. I agree with everyone who has said that we most likely will have to be concerned about our weights forever.
Exactly right! I find myself having days when I feel very confident about maintenance, because I've learned so much about the diet and about myself. But I'm not fooling myself that flying solo is the best plan. All the smart, logical, knowledgeable people here - this is where I'm planning to hang out for quite awhile, I credit it for getting me this far, and hope we can all help each other stay on track from here on. Because, like Candi said, challenges are sure to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post

I decided to weigh this morning because I know I'll get weighed at the orthopedist's office tomorrow, and didn't want to be shocked or disappointed there. Turns out I lost 8 pounds so far, 8 days into this P1 reboot. And that was not staying 100% true to protocol (like that day I had cheese and guacamole on my burger). So I'm happy about that. I knew I was losing because my jeans fell right off while I was walking around the house the other day. LOL. I'm going to stay on P1 at least through this week, then make a decision on Monday about what to do next. Hopefully I'll have some answers by then about my pain problem.

Interestingly, not knowing my daily weight made me a lot more cautious about eating the wrong things. I've figured out that when I know I'm around my goal weight, I use that as an excuse to eat the wrong things: "I can have that piece of cake because my weight is good today." But when I didn't know if I was 1 pound or 8 pounds away from goal, I was more inclined to be careful about my choices. I may do weekly weigh-ins from here on out, now that I've learned this about myself.

blue, a virtual race is one you sign up for but do on your own, on a treadmill or in your neighborhood. Usually, you report your completion to the race organization and they send you your t-shirt or medal or whatever. Virtual races are becoming more popular - no travel necessary, you can run when you want, and you still get the swag.
HIS for the 8 lb loss, glad it's coming off fast during your P1 stint. Interesting thing about weighing, both ways seem to have good/bad points.
That virtual race thing - I'm not a runner, but it doesn't sound like nearly as much fun as the real thing would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post
What HIS said.
You are at about the same place I was when I decided to phase off for vacation, only about 6 or 7 lbs to go. I started P2 4 weeks back from the start of vac, and did the full 2 weeks of P2, and I'm in the middle of 2 weeks of P3. At that time, I was prepared to come back after vac and lose the last few lbs just by eating healthy/exercising, not going back to P1. The way it's worked out, I lost 1 lb on P2, and about 1 lb so far on P3 (athough most people gain a wee bit on P3). So right now, I'm pretty close to goal anyway. But while I agree that P3 is really important, and it should be the full 2 weeks, I think you could shorten P2 .
I know jenny posted her vacation phase off as well, and it was pretty short, and worked well for her (go back a couple of pages to see what she said).

Beth - hope things work out for you at work, and if not, maybe the jobs you're looking at will be the answer.

OK, I got everything done this morning I was planning to get done , went for my WI (down 1 lb on her scale), came home and had french toast stuffed with almond butter/banana ( my new favorite!!) and cocount creme yogurt. had to slip out again to do a few things, and now it's time for lunch.
Some days, it fells like all I do is eat
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
In my case, I've been pondering the pattern of splurging and then P1, for the rest of my life, and I don't like it. I don't like that wild swing between eating whatever and then near-fasting for a day or two, and being borderline obsessed both days. It doesn't feel healthy or balanced. I have to find a better middle-ground solution. Idk, maybe there isn't one; maybe this is one of those "pick the best of the bad options" situations.
Just my $0.02, but I truly don't recommend this. I did this for a long time the first time on maintenance and ultimately it did not teach me how to eat healthy for the long run. It was a binge/purge cycle. And I never learned how to actually maintain my weight. I just modified P1 so that I could eat what I wanted.

The other downside is that after a while, it takes longer and longer (more and more P1 days) to get back to "ground zero". At first, you might only need 1-2 P1 days to get back to goal. Then it starts to take 2-3, and then 3-4 until finally it takes you all week and honestly, life is no different than just being on P1. You are continually jumping in and out of ketosis and dealing with those struggles. I think your body becomes immune to the effects of P1, as P1 is ultimately not supposed to be a lifetime solution, more of a short term solution to meet your goals.

I only say this because of the experience I had. It may work for you and if you want to try it, of course you should. If we have all learned anything is that it is not one size fits all when it comes to maintaining.

For me, this time, I am more interested in being healthy and seeing if I can come up with a true 90% menu that allows me to maintain my losses without feeling deprived so that I can enjoy the 10% splurges.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
Just my $0.02, but I truly don't recommend this. I did this for a long time the first time on maintenance and ultimately it did not teach me how to eat healthy for the long run. It was a binge/purge cycle. And I never learned how to actually maintain my weight. I just modified P1 so that I could eat what I wanted.

The other downside is that after a while, it takes longer and longer (more and more P1 days) to get back to "ground zero". At first, you might only need 1-2 P1 days to get back to goal. Then it starts to take 2-3, and then 3-4 until finally it takes you all week and honestly, life is no different than just being on P1. You are continually jumping in and out of ketosis and dealing with those struggles. I think your body becomes immune to the effects of P1, as P1 is ultimately not supposed to be a lifetime solution, more of a short term solution to meet your goals.

I only say this because of the experience I had. It may work for you and if you want to try it, of course you should. If we have all learned anything is that it is not one size fits all when it comes to maintaining.

For me, this time, I am more interested in being healthy and seeing if I can come up with a true 90% menu that allows me to maintain my losses without feeling deprived so that I can enjoy the 10% splurges.
Jenny - your example / story is exactly why I think HIS and I both are actively trying to avoid the cycle and not get sucked in...

For me, its:
1) finding ways to cope with stress - home, work, life, running
2) exhaustion (I am horrible about getting 7+ and average 6.5) without turning to food / carbs
3) life events - Christmas / NYE were actually quiet...but now we are getting out more and I just need to be more aware / cognizant. I did tons of events & a couple vacations on P1 and need to remember that it's not about the food
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Beth - I agree with your list. I would add conquering the feeling that I am being deprived of something. I must admit that I am getting to bed and sleep earlier since I started IP (and I am no longer waking up at 4 am on a regular basis.

Jenny - I continue to appreciate your sharing your experiences. I don't think everything in moderation is going to work for me. I believe there are some things I just should not eat. Sugar may be one of those... to think that those days are gone but I don't need it to live (IP has shown me that ) and just like someone with an alcohol or drug addiction I will need to steer clear.

Blue - congrats on your 1 # P3 loss. Graduation day is Saturday and just like any other graduation it is the beginning of a new journey.

HIS - are you going to be able to measure yourself with the calipers or is your daughter going to help you? Good luck with the MD tomorrow. I hope you get answers.

Largo - congratulation on your reboot success.

Steven Larry posted on facebook about wondering around the grocery store bakery section looking for something and a lady asked if she could help and he told her he was looking for something and she shared with him that she has learned that when you are in that situation leaving with nothing might be the right answer. (I wish I could find the post - but I can't). It was one of the most thought provoking posts for me -- how many times have I found myself in that same situation. Looking to fill or feed something with something and making the wrong decision of trying to cure it with sugar. It went downhill after that as the post went to the 10 burner stove. I haven't found many IP dishes that require more than 2 burners ( 1 for protein and 1 for veggies)

I found out today that a friend of mine also started IP in January. It is so nice to find out I have a new support close to home.

If I haven't said it recently -- Thank YOU to all of you. I appreciate all I have learned from you. Including that I can achieve more than I thought I could when I started this Journey. The home scale is creeping closer to onderland (a place that I have not visited for 9 years (last visit was very short < 1 month). I hope to take up residency this time.

Sue
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 207/165/165

Height: 5.5

HIS and Blue. Thanks so much for your input. I do agree that I will probably lose more after I phase off as I plan to really work my maintenance. I really want to avoid the same thing I did last year. Thank heavens I got rid of all my large clothes so had to reboot before I was walking around naked!
We r here in Delray Beach watching some tennis at an ATP tournament. Traffic last night was terrible so missed the first set and dinner. Ended up eating a grilled chicken sandwich without the bun or veggies, just chicken. DH had a chicken fingers basket. He couldn't believe I threw my bun out but have come this far and not going to break the program with a bun. Would have much rather had a glass of wine! I brought my breakfast and lunch for today so should be good to go.
Everyone have a great day and thanks for the advice.
Largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone-
Just checking in- a LOT to read- very insightful and helpful! Thank you all for posting what you are finding as we all progress through this journey together. I am so grateful for you all!
Congrats to all of the victories I am seeing- it's amazing isn't it? I wish I had found this program 15 years ago!
Thanks for the answers to my questions too! I did a clean P1/2 on Monday, even though the scale was fine at 125-actually it was 125.4 on Sunday...weird huh? Anyhow, I did what I was supposed to on Monday- wasn't terrible. I was at home, so I think that helped. Tuesday the scale went to 125.4, then this morning it was 125.8.... trying not to overthink things (as is my pattern) I did exercise last night, so maybe water retention? I don't think I had too much sodium. I drank more than enough water- I don't think, even on my worst water day, that I've ever been under 64 oz- it's more like 100 oz. on average. My boss is back gotta fly- will pick back up later if I can- ♥
Back again..... So, now - not trying to over think it- I probably won't get a chance to work out beyond the small amount of strength work I did this morning, so I'll see what tomorrow brings scalewise.
HIS Anxious to hear what the doctor says today. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!!
SueGotta agree- the 10 burner stove....yikes- must be nice -I guess-
Beth Hope it's as nice there today as it is here...40's - almost need to get the shorts out.....NOT lol-
Largo Good job making the right choice with the bun!
AS it is closing in on lunch time, another 20 minutes or so, I find that today I am starving....not sure why exactly- but hopefully I made a big enough salad to keep myself happy!

Last edited by Destony; 02-17-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #176  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

blue, I've lost track - when do you finish P3?

Sue - hahaha! Love your thoughts about the 10 burner stove. And, yes, I agree, THIS group of ladies has been critical to my success on the protocol. Everyone has been so encouraging and helpful. We are going to party when you hit Onederland!

Largo - I agree, a plain old white bun isn't worth going off protocol!

Beth - I don't know that I'm looking to change over to the full-on ketosis lifestyle, but I find it interesting. What I don't understand is how you lose weight on that if you're feeding your body lots of dietary fat (in lieu of carbs). I'm interested, though, in the idea of eating more protein than IP advises. I've read several things that say that we can process more than 23 g of protein at one meal. I certainly see the draw of that plan, as it allows you to eat real food instead of soy based packets.

Jenny - what Beth said. I'm trying to avoid that habit of splurge/fast/splurge/fast. But doesn't that seem to be what IP teaches - have your weekly splurge, then go back to P1? It just doesn't feel healthy to me, and mentally it makes me a crazy person. I need to figure out a way to eat 7 days a week with only occasional splurges, not weekly. That's partly why the ketogenic diet is interesting to me - maybe I can incorporate more protein and fat and avoid the carb cravings that are triggered when I eat a "normal" diet. I've been doing this P1 reboot with extra fat, via cheese, avocado, and a small amount of p.b., and am losing well.

Sue, to answer your question about the calipers - There are several methods for measuring. One is a 3-point measurement that I can do myself - chest, abdomen, and leg. But I will probably have my daughter or husband do the other method on me for comparison. Even if I'm off by a percentage or two, at least I'll have a rough idea of where I'm at. I suspect my BF % is higher than I'd like, and I really need to start doing more strength training. Of course, everything right now is hinging on what this orthopedic doctor tells me.

I'm going to try to squeeze in some swimming after my appointment at 1:30, but if I can't get there in time (the swim team practices there at 3:00), I will do some easy walking at home. It's supposed to be 75 degrees here today. Wish I could send you some warmth, Beth.

Last edited by HereIStand; 02-17-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #177  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
I find days where I've run after a low carb day have been awful, and I have the data to prove it - BUT, that said, I've read it can take 2 to 3 weeks for the body to adjust to burning fat properly to fuel runs.
Yes, this has been my personal experience. The first few weeks on P1, my workouts were down right awful. I felt like poo. After 3-4 weeks, I turned a corner and started plowing through my workouts and felt amazing. I am still in the mode and my workouts feel so good. I am DEFINITELY curious to see how they feel once I bring carbs back in.

Last edited by jennydoodle; 02-17-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #178  

Quote:
Jenny - what Beth said. I'm trying to avoid that habit of splurge/fast/splurge/fast. But doesn't that seem to be what IP teaches - have your weekly splurge, then go back to P1? It just doesn't feel healthy to me, and mentally it makes me a crazy person. I need to figure out a way to eat 7 days a week with only occasional splurges, not weekly. That's partly why the ketogenic diet is interesting to me - maybe I can incorporate more protein and fat and avoid the carb cravings that are triggered when I eat a "normal" diet. I've been doing this P1 reboot with extra fat, via cheese, avocado, and a small amount of p.b., and am losing well.
Absolutely. And you know, at the end of the day, we will all find what works for us for maintenance, and I can guarantee that no 2 of us will be doing the exact same thing. Seriously.

I agree with trying to find the 7 day "plan" and having occasional splurges (holidays, vacations...) That will be first goal. Once I have that figured out, I may try to play around with a weekly cheat meal. But my ultimate goal is to try to find what I have to do to maintain with my everyday plan.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #179  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

[BLargo[/B] You rock. I totally agree with HIS, why would I go off protocol for a plain roll? Yick. If I was going to go off it would be for something really good...like peanut butter!

HIS Interesting that a little extra healthy fat hasn't affected weight loss for you. I admit...I had a piece of bacon the week right before I lost 3 lbs. after not losing much at all. Extra fat doesn't kick one out of ketosis...My hubby did Atkins a long time ago and ate a bunch of high fat food and lost a bunch of weight, but then when he stopped Atkins, he was used to eating high fat food so when he added carbs, he gained more back. BUT if you are adding a little fat and that allows you to stay low-carb, I think that's great!

Also good luck with your appointment!

For those of you who work out or worked out on Phase 1, did you consistently eat an extra packet or a hard boiled egg? I am not asking for me because I am a slacker, but my coworker who just started IP a month ago swims and does the elliptical and didn't lose any last week. Her coach suggested that she add another packet like a drink. What are your thoughts?
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Absolutely add the packet MiWi- she would do well with one of the drinks- that's what I did- the blueberry pomm or the orange were my "go-tos" when I worked out and it was a good thing. I had the same experience when I slowed way down- gave my diet a little "jolt" and BAM- that did it ☺
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote