Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

mama - I agree with Blue - 700 is on the lowest end of k/cal intake and with exercise...be careful / discuss with your coach. I would worry a little about starvation mode and/or your body rebelling, especially as you get closer to goal.

Linda - I saw your picture - oh YUM! I finally had french toast made with Ezekiel Bread on Sunday & DH & I split a protein shake - what a great, hearty breakfast! Justin's vanilla almond...hmmm - I guess I've avoided even looking at the nutritional information on those and stuck with nut butters with no added anything...plus I remember what I did with that container of honey roasted peanut butter guessing as careful as you have been the amount of sugar in those are ok? Might have to grab a trial packet next time I swing into Wegmans
Some folks just are not 100% ready for the changes IP entails - you are the IP poster child and a great example to your friend. She'll get it, one of these days (if she wants )

Oh it felt SO good to run and zone. Still not in love with the treadmill, but there is something to be said for being able to watch an entire episode of Law & Order SVU while pounding out 5.5 miles

I wore a tank / shorts tonight and finally noticed my ARMS & LEGS! Holy cow!! I have muscles / definition ***WHA***!!!!!???

I'd really love to have a real body composition work up (bf%, muscle)

Back to work tomorrow...house is stocked, veggies chopped, & got the car pulled out. It was 50 most of the day today - felt wonderful.

Last edited by hysteria_625; 01-26-2016 at 10:04 PM.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #17  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

I'll agree with everyone else - 700 calories is on the low end of IP caloric intake, and exercise can be pretty risky. I think an extra packet is warranted.

Beth, I ran on the treadmill today, too. I was going to run outside, but it was cold & windy (again), and after yesterday's horrible outing, I just couldn't make myself do it. So off to the gym I went, where I had a GREAT run, even did some sprints at a faster-than-usual pace for me. It was the encouragement I desperately needed.

No running tomorrow, so I get to have OIAJ for breakfast. Then errands for most of the day. I have to pick up my race packet, and stop in the local dairy to get raw milk for a friend, then go by my work to look at my schedule for February and make some calls to patients. Need to pick up some groceries, too.

Evening snacks are my biggest challenge. I'm usually quite hungry within an hour after dinner, and sometimes yogurt doesn't satisfy my need for something I can sink my teeth into. I've completely given up protein bars in the evening - the fiber just tears me up the next morning. Tonight I had a handful of trail mix to finish off the bag, then a cup of hot tea, then 1/2 c of milk, and I'm still hungry. And that was after a dinner of 8 oz chicken and some mashed potatoes with a spoonful of gravy. If I weren't out of celery, I'd have some of that with PB2. Guess I will just go to bed.

ETA something I forgot: While I was at the gym, I saw a flyer for a sports nutritionist. I could get a body composition analysis, a diet analysis, and a month of weigh-ins and diet help for $275. More money than I want to pay, especially since I already understand macros and all that, but maybe she could really help me figure out how to eat better for fueling my running. And I'd definitely like to get my BF% measured. I'm going to think about it.

Last edited by HereIStand; 01-26-2016 at 11:30 PM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 207/165/165

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
mama, oh no! Your poor daughter.

blue, I'm excited that you're so close to P3. Those breakfasts are such a treat after many months on P1.

Last night I accompanied a friend, B, to an intro session at the IP clinic in our town. It's run through an Ear, Nose, and Throat clinic, which seems odd to me. Anyway, it was interesting for me, since I never set foot in an IP clinic until last night. The coach seemed nice and I think she'll do a good job with B, who needs a lot of hand-holding. B signed up and has her first appointment this afternoon. I'm sure I'll get 1000 questions from her before the weekend.

I had a 5-mile run yesterday that was simply awful. After the 2-mile mark, I felt like death. I really could have walked the last two miles. There were much steeper hills, and more of them, then where I usually run, so I'm sure that was part of the problem. But I didn't fuel well the night before, either. I'm struggling with getting enough calories to run but not gain weight. I'm starting to see the benefit of having a fitness coach who's knowledgable in these things.

My daughter saw the gastroenterologist yesterday and is scheduled for a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks. My husband's family has a history of diverticulosis, which can be hereditary, so the doc thinks it's a good idea to check her for that. She'll have light anesthesia for the procedure, but she doesn't have to go off protocol for it, does she?

I'm not sure what the protocol is in the US but in canada she would need to fast the day before or just clear liquids and would need to take medication to " clean her out" she can go right back to her regular routine after. The preparation is usually worse than the procedure. But she needs to do it. I will be interested to see if they do it differently in the states.
Largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #19  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Hi Everyone. Yesterday I ended up being very hungry in the afternoon. I'm not sure what was up, but it was pretty bad. Hubby made a delicious dinner though...Asian chicken and cauliflower rice with peppers and onions (lightly heated). I was felt so full that I couldn't eat a whole serving...and this was after being sooo hungry before. Weird.

HIS The sports nutritionist sounds pretty good. I do better when someone gives me more structured guidelines about eating/exercising. You already know a lot but maybe he/she could tailor it to your personal needs which is a super neat thought.
Beth I hope work was OK today. My commute was much better today than yesterday, but still a bit hairy. At least a lot melted in the "warm" day yesterday.

Everyone have a great day.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #20  

Good Morning everyone! Thanks for all the input on calories. I'll make an adjustment in MFP and add an extra packet when needed. I use all alternatives, so I don't have a coach. I do it with the amazing support on this site!. I did have a moment yesterday where I felt a little light headed and needed to sit down. I think that's my queue to add in a small packet or at last 1/2 a packet.

DD saw our favorite ortho doctor at gymnastics yesterday. (how sad that we have a favorite ortho doctor). She said there was no need to see the surgeon and she feels that she doesn't even need a cast. She's now taped up with kinesio tape and has a boot on. She'll continue to use crutches until the swelling is reduced and she's able to tolerate weight on it. She's also made the decision to stay with gymnastics. She says she loves it too much to give it up. This makes my heart happy!

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by mamacitaof2; 01-27-2016 at 10:07 AM.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #21  

MiWi - guessing you didn't have to come down 270 or near Rockville this morning...that truck accident happened right in front of our building on I-495. I left at 6:20 this morning and thankfully OPM had the feds on a 3 hour delay still - I have a bad feeling tonight's rush hour is going to be terrible - main interstates are fine, but it will be getting off and going back home in the 'burbs thats an issue

HIS - right on! I am finding running is about 80% mental state of mind / 20% aches and pains (see below)
and I am right there with you on the evening munchies, especially on run days - if I had smoked a big joint it couldn't be any worse!
So far I have avoided diving head first into processed foods like chips, cakes, ice cream...& its all in the house, but I don't want it score a point for IP...but what I DO want and eat isn't much better I know I've made numerous posts about this now, but nuts and nut butter are my downfall - and so since the blizzard on Friday, I've continuously gone over 2,000 calories & I am usually sitting right at about 1,600 after dinner, if that gives you an idea...
& I am justifying it since a) I am HANGRY and b) it 'fits the macros'.
MFP and Fitbit are close to each other with exercise calories - right around 500 on 5 mile runs...and I really try to not go outside that, even though I get more from general activity.
I also recently set Fitbit to help me lose 5 pounds so that automatically takes away 250 calories a day
If I am 100% truthful with myself though, I am not measuring the handful(s) of nuts I am munching, or the spoonful of almond butter I am eating...I try to be liberal with MFP, but wonder...
especially seeing as how the scale popped back up to 150 this morning

Anyway, back to work today, and hopefully back to a better routine with food and snacks

I also unintentionally punished myself this morning - DH & I hit the rec center yesterday afternoon around 5p for our runs and that one felt terrific!
Knowing I had a ton to catch up on today, I got in super early to hit my gym at work OMG! OW, OW, OWWIE wth was I thinking??? Two 5 mile runs within 14 hours of one another! Holy cow! Part of my 1/2 marathon training are back-to-back run days, but I've always been able to put 24 hours between runs
I made it, but I hurt...and was starving by the time I got to my desk (even with a 1/2 a pre-run banana)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #22  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Beth - yep, even the "healthier" foods like nuts are not safe for me. I've learned that trail mix is too easy to overdo. I'm going to try having just celery, cucumbers, carrots, and apples for my snacks, and see if that helps with the weight. Last week my weight was closer to 155, this week it's back up to 158-159, and that scares me.

You know there are elite runners who do two-a-days, and that astounds me. I don't know how they run 8 miles in the morning and then go to the track for interval training at 7 pm. I guess that's why they're elite and I'm not. LOL.

Last edited by HereIStand; 01-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 207/165/165

Height: 5.5

Well made it to Calgary. The flight was a bit tough as I was up at 4 am and not in bed until 1am my time. Was a long day. I usually love to travel and tend to eat all the wrong things on the way so looked longingly at the concession stands. So my day looked like this. I had a half packet before I left at 5 am. Had a shake at 9am. Ended up having a quest bar at noon and then had my cookies mid afternoon ( thanks for the suggestion) then another quest bar before supper, stir fry supper, and another quest bar before bed. Too many quest bars but better than the chips I wanted. Oh and I wanted the wine dear God I wanted the wine.. Managed to get most of my water in. I am sure the lady beside me was wondering what was going on as I was up to the bathroom so much!
DD had the house stocked for me and ate what I had for supper. She doesn't mind the extra groceries as she is saving soooo much on wine! No respect with these kids these days. The rest had their usual.
Sad news is my DD does not have a scale. I am used to weighing myself daily so this will be rough.
. Oneuh I will have to wait until I get home to post.
Well off to walk the dog. Later will do some shopping. Nice to spend money in Canadian dollars and not US.
Have a good day everyone.
Largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #24  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo View Post
Well made it to Calgary. The flight was a bit tough as I was up at 4 am and not in bed until 1am my time. Was a long day. I usually love to travel and tend to eat all the wrong things on the way so looked longingly at the concession stands. So my day looked like this. I had a half packet before I left at 5 am. Had a shake at 9am. Ended up having a quest bar at noon and then had my cookies mid afternoon ( thanks for the suggestion) then another quest bar before supper, stir fry supper, and another quest bar before bed. Too many quest bars but better than the chips I wanted. Oh and I wanted the wine dear God I wanted the wine.. Managed to get most of my water in. I am sure the lady beside me was wondering what was going on as I was up to the bathroom so much!
DD had the house stocked for me and ate what I had for supper. She doesn't mind the extra groceries as she is saving soooo much on wine! No respect with these kids these days. The rest had their usual.
Sad news is my DD does not have a scale. I am used to weighing myself daily so this will be rough.
. Oneuh I will have to wait until I get home to post.
Well off to walk the dog. Later will do some shopping. Nice to spend money in Canadian dollars and not US.
Have a good day everyone.
I went to college in Tacoma Washington and always wanted to go to the Calgary Stampede.... never got there in those days, but I'll have to put it on my bucket list!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Happy Wednesday,

Largo..glad you made it to Calgary safely. It is nice to hear that your daughter is supporting you by stocking the house with friendly foods.

Beth glad you made it safely in to work. You are a clearly a runner now, not letting anything stand in your way.

mama glad to hear DD is on the mend. How do you adjust mfp? Mine screams at me if I am below 1000, but I have been very bad at logging.

MiWi I have been having the same happening to me with the hungries and the feeling I can't finish my meal.

HIS ..sports nutritionist sound interesting, before you sign up have a conversation with them. Have they worked with a person like you before? They might be able to offer you an different plan too., maybe a one time evaluation. The training for a nutritionist is not the same as a dietician so you may want to discuss training as well. Good Luck.

destiny . Glad to hear that you are doing well. Sounds like you are adjusting well.

Blue .. P2 sounds like it is going well. Meatballs yum.

We made it to Fl today. Neither DH or I slept well last evening and 415 wake up did not help. Flight left at 610, no good tea at hotel so I waited till we were in air for breakfast. Vanilla crispy square and water. We arrived a bit late, and my folks picked us up at airport. On way back to condo we stopped by publis for a few things veggies for me and beer for DH. There have been storms here all afternoon, but we managed to sneak in a 1.5 mile walk. Still doing p1, a little harder here as the condo is filled with snacks. Don't know when I will change to p2 and I might flip back and forth. Cruise leaves Friday.

My upper body seems really tense and I am looking forward to a massage I have scheduled for Saturday. I need to have some treat on vacation.

Sue
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:43 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

SMDA The day of travel- yeah, I don't do well the night before- I hope that you have a wonderful time!!! Enjoy yourself and don't stress too much over our food choices. Just enjoy yourself!!
Largo Glad that you made it to Calgary ok and that your DD is helping with your food needs. That is so helpful!!
Beth Glad that you are able to get in to work safely - be careful- sounds like the travels we suffered through last year-if I never.....lol. Glad you can run on a treadmill. I HAVE to get myself psyched up to start back on to the C25K. I am going to need to get serious with exercise now.
Last night I went to dinner with my old neighbors and I had a fire roasted salad-tomatoes, a quarter of a red onion, colored peppers, zucchini and summer squash with chicken added. It was delicious. I thought about passing the onion, but I ate it...the owner then came by with aperitifs for the table, I passed on that but then he bought little ramekins with vanilla and chocolate ice cream- honestly probably 3 T of ice cream. I decided to have a spoonful.... I ate the whole thing, not that it was a ton, but it was really good, you know- slightly melted, sweet- just really good. It's funny, the worry used to be knocking myself out of ketosis, and my. Initial thought was "oh, this will be fine, it's not that much- then about half way through it was like *DOH* it's not ketosis I anymore you stupidsh*t - it's insulin....so, that being said- I don't know what/how my body will have reacted to that. I still need to figure that out. OIAJ for breakfast, h/b egg for snack ( OIAJ doesn't hold me) salad for lunch roast beef, onion, broccoli, tomato and lettuce, later day snack Quest chocolate powder and toasted coconut/almond milk, then dinner will probably be chicken and cauliflower. So, I guess if I did anything wrong last night, today I have good choices ahead of me? Thoughts my IP peeps??
HIS How's your DD feeling?
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #27  

HIS - lmao, I am no where near elite It's funny though b/c for the aches yesterday, I still was able to find my zen spot for about 20 minutes...but that last 8 minutes I was literally counting steps
Yah - $275 is a bit pricey to shell out for a diet plan...but then, look at what we spent on IP, even though we both did alternate products. The guy who runs our gym at work is a nutritionist / marathoner (qualified / done Boston 20 times!) / triathlon'er - I've talked to him a little bit but would have to pay for a consultation / plan.
Only really being about 3 months into this, I'm not sure I am ready to shell out more $$$ - right now, I am not even looking to improve splits or overall times...I haven't even run 13.1 yet, kwim?
I am also scared about old injuries coming back to haunt me (my left knee / ankle)

Linda - you got my $0.02 I don't think 3T of ice cream will spike your insulin any worse than a IP desert bar...3C of ice cream would've been a different story
I've pretty much moved on from OIAJ - love the mix, but it just doesn't hold me the way 2 boiled eggs and granola in yogurt does - maybe b/c I don't see all the food I'm eating...? and can eat it so fast?

Sue - glad you made it to your destination safely and hope you have a wonderful vacation! FL would be so nice right now

Largo - wow, lots of vacationers right now - have fun with the g'kids

I picked the wrong profession...as long as I continue to do what I do, I will never be able to vacation much in January

So the scale was back down -2 this morning and I am back within my 3# comfort zone...even after the slice of CF strawberry cheesecake last night with DH for his birthday. I was really bloated when I went to bed, but deflated a bit through the night lol and let me continue to sing the praises of probiotics
Just to be on the safe side, I wore a pair of 'uh-oh' pants today, and they fit perfectly fine
& I'm not doing 3 running days in a row - the thought crossed my mind, but I'm just not doing it

Last edited by hysteria_625; 01-28-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #28  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Largo, glad you got there okay, and I don't think the 3 Quest bars will make a significant impact on things (except all that fiber might keep you in the bathroom today!).

smda, I'm green with envy over your cruise. Oh, the nutrition person is a registered dietician according to the pamphlet, so no worries there. But you're right, I should ask some questions before I sign up. Haven't even run the idea past DH yet.

Linda, I think 3 T of ice cream aren't going to make the scale jump up 5 pounds. Was it a splurge? I don't know; that's one of those things everyone has to figure out for themselves. Personally, that small amount of carbs and fat wouldn't be enough to compel me to do P1 the next day. I'd do what you're doing as far as next-day diet.

I haven't talked to DD since she saw the doc on Monday. I assume the bleeding is still happening. She got her pre-op instructions and I'm planning to take her to the colonoscopy appointment since she can't drive after. When she was last anesthetized, for wisdom teeth, she fainted when we got home, so I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of that scenario!

Yesterday was errand day for me, and one of my last stops was in a Target, which is a real treat for me since it's an hour from my house. Anyway, I found Somersaults and bought 3 bags. Have y'all tried them? They're made from sunflower seeds; you can get sweet or savory flavors. I also made sugar-free instant pudding yesterday and am going to try having that for an occasional snack. SF jello has fewer calories but just doesn't put a dent in my hunger.

5-mile run today, 4 miles tomorrow, then a rest before the race on Sunday. The weather is beautiful and I almost wish I had signed up for the 10K instead of the 5K.

Edited because Beth and I were posting at the same time...
Yeah, I'm not that serious of a runner, but it's the hunger that's killing me. And concern that my weight is slowly creeping a bit higher than I'd like. I was 158 this morning, which is only +3 from goal, but I haven't seen 155 on the scale in a month. I don't know if my expectations are unrealistic, or if there is something I can do differently to stay closer or under goal weight and still have plenty of running energy. I don't know if she can tell me anything I don't already know, for $275. I will probably just see how my upcoming races go before I decide.

Last edited by HereIStand; 01-28-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #29  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

smda You deserve your massage! My hubby gave me a massage for Christmas and I am saving it to reward losing 15 lbs.
Destony I had no idea what a ramekin was!!! That's what that thing is called? Ha! I think you're probably good...you have a good day of nutrition ahead of you.
Largo glad your daughter is supportive. How do people live without a scale though? Really? My tiny, high metabolism mother always had a scale...thought it was like a regular household item.
mama good news about your daughter.
Beth Luckily I don't ever go over to 270! I live near Annapolis and work in DC. I hear about traffic problems over there quite frequently. Hope your first day back to work went well.

I did not put up with being hungry yesterday, so I ate two hard-boiled egg whites in the afternoon and it made a huge difference! I felt so much better. Plus I had lost weight when I got on the scale this morning, so win-win.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #30  

Sue , to adjust your goals in MFP, click on the more in the lower right of the app, click on goals, then click on Calorie & Macronutrient Goals. You should be able to make your adjustments there.

I hope you have an amazing time in FL!

Linda, it sounds like you make very good food choices for the most part. A little bit of ice cream shouldn't be terrible. It's when it becomes a regular occurrence that it becomes a problem.

HIS , maybe you could call around for a few gyms just to ask them to do an analysis and not have to sign up for an entire program until your certain you want to commit??

It's been an emotional week over all. DD is on the mend, which is good. We had a good friend pass away on Tuesday from cancer, and another good family friend pass away yesterday. He's an older gentleman and his health had been failing for some time now. I also attended an appointment with my Dad yesterday. He's on his 5th recurrence of prostate cancer and not even 60 yet. His prostate was removed years ago, but cancer cells keep popping up. He's going to start chemo on Monday and they are potentially going to do radiation as well. I'm the only child now (I lost my brother several years go), so I feel very protective of him. We do have a very good support system though (not just me and Mom) but friends we consider family, which is a huge blessing.

Wow - I'm kind of a downer today. Sorry everyone! On a positive note, it's DS' 14th birthday. He goes to take his permit test today, so hoping he had good luck!
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote