Old 02-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

I have no idea what's up - but I am starving today- figured I would have a little of my 3 O'clock Combat bar at 230 to try to stave it off- and I'm half way through it- what gives??
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

From what I've been reading about athletic performance fueled by fat and not carbs, it is important not to get too much protein as the body will convert some to glycogen as fuel before it will use fat. That means you will not be running optimally on either fuel.
Problem is every body is different so what that 'excess' amount of protein is, will be relative to your body only. Trial & error.
For those still on the IP diet... going off with fat makes way more sense than adding in crap carbs like the white bun (ewww, what a waste, eh?). Besides the fat will satiate you much better than a carb bump.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
Yes, this has been my personal experience. The first few weeks on P1, my workouts were down right awful. I felt like poo. After 3-4 weeks, I turned a corner and started plowing through my workouts and felt amazing. I am still in the mode and my workouts feel so good. I am DEFINITELY curious to see how they feel once I bring carbs back in.
Wow - more power to you lady...I am talking about P4 / maintenance level...I couldn't imagine trying to do the running I am doing now on P1 level calories...no, I take that back, I DID try and failed miserably and still wonder how much damage I did to myself (adrenals, metabolism, thyroid, etc)...sorry - I am not saying you are doing this Jenny, but please be careful.

Linda - interesting...so after a P1 & P3 day your body is asking for food...mine did the same yesterday (P1 on Sunday for me...) - just something to note going forward...is it the body trying to 'make up' for putting back in starvation mode for a day or so...hmmm things to ponder - fwiw, I like to have celery and peanut butter (or PBFit / PB2) as an afternoon snack

MiWi - when I got close to goal, I also added a little healthy fat and was able to lose a couple more - 3 or 4 pounds I believe - I stuck at 145, but I think that is just my body's set-weight

HIS - hope all went well...and that link I gave you has a ton of information - I think that particular forum has been in existence since 2001...also google "Marks Daily Apple" - Jimmy Moore is another well know LCHF proponent ...I pop into the forums still from time to time - I find it very interesting there is a group of LONG timers doing a 'potato hack' right now - the exact opposite of LCHF, and eating potatoes, and apparently losing a bunch of weight. I haven't personally had the time or inclination to follow up on the reasoning behind this, but it stuck out and I find it very interesting...& yah - DH & were talking about it...there is a fantastic bike trail about 3 miles from the house, but we're not going to be able to use it until the spring at this point...in many place, the plows have covered the trail with 4 - 8 foot high snow banks...and we're supposed to get MORE snow next week - blah! I am getting out Saturday come **** or high water

Idk - its been one of those days - thankful for my run, but otherwise it was cr@p (work)

Also, I don't think me and dairy are going to get along & I'm going to avoid yogurt for a couple days and stick with Quest shakes / eggs for morning protein

Speaking of Quest - guess I stuck my foot in my mouth on the FB page today - oh well...that said, looks like they are recalling current bars / have reformulated. Someone here mentioned they heard something about it but they were not changing from the soluble corn fiber. HIS - so those were the ones we got in the mail? Truthfully, I wasn't very impressed...
& I grabbed a cookie dough bar while we were traveling - just something different - and YUK!
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Wow - more power to you lady...I am talking about P4 / maintenance level...I couldn't imagine trying to do the running I am doing now on P1 level calories...no, I take that back, I DID try and failed miserably and still wonder how much damage I did to myself (adrenals, metabolism, thyroid, etc)...sorry - I am not saying you are doing this Jenny, but please be careful.

Linda - interesting...so after a P1 & P3 day your body is asking for food...mine did the same yesterday (P1 on Sunday for me...) - just something to note going forward...is it the body trying to 'make up' for putting back in starvation mode for a day or so...hmmm things to ponder - fwiw, I like to have celery and peanut butter (or PBFit / PB2) as an afternoon snack

MiWi - when I got close to goal, I also added a little healthy fat and was able to lose a couple more - 3 or 4 pounds I believe - I stuck at 145, but I think that is just my body's set-weight

HIS - hope all went well...and that link I gave you has a ton of information - I think that particular forum has been in existence since 2001...also google "Marks Daily Apple" - Jimmy Moore is another well know LCHF proponent ...I pop into the forums still from time to time - I find it very interesting there is a group of LONG timers doing a 'potato hack' right now - the exact opposite of LCHF, and eating potatoes, and apparently losing a bunch of weight. I haven't personally had the time or inclination to follow up on the reasoning behind this, but it stuck out and I find it very interesting...& yah - DH & were talking about it...there is a fantastic bike trail about 3 miles from the house, but we're not going to be able to use it until the spring at this point...in many place, the plows have covered the trail with 4 - 8 foot high snow banks...and we're supposed to get MORE snow next week - blah! I am getting out Saturday come **** or high water

Idk - its been one of those days - thankful for my run, but otherwise it was cr@p (work)

Also, I don't think me and dairy are going to get along & I'm going to avoid yogurt for a couple days and stick with Quest shakes / eggs for morning protein

Speaking of Quest - guess I stuck my foot in my mouth on the FB page today - oh well...that said, looks like they are recalling current bars / have reformulated. Someone here mentioned they heard something about it but they were not changing from the soluble corn fiber. HIS - so those were the ones we got in the mail? Truthfully, I wasn't very impressed...
& I grabbed a cookie dough bar while we were traveling - just something different - and YUK!
ETA - anyone else seeing AD'S now in peoples postings??? I have a big banana in mine with "what never to eat on a diet"... wtf Ugh - this is the "update" to the boards - yuk! I know, they are free but the cr@p on the right side isn't enough?
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

I think I spoke too soon. Woke up at 4AM today . But its work not IP.

I noticed a change in the forum views on my phone today. I started seeing avatars by everyone's name and the navigation is different. I mostly see Jenny Craig ads. in the forum.

I have my WI in tomorrow and I guess they want to do labs so I have to fast for 6 hours. I had to move my appointment from 845 to 1145 so its a bummer. Trying to decide if I should have my shake when I get up or wait for lunch.

Sue
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #186  

Yup, same here ads, seems different-haven't looked on desktop . Interesting Beth , glad it's not just me
Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #187  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Except for the annoying ads (yeah, visible on desktop, too), the update looks good.

Ortho appointment: I really liked the doc and feel that he will be thorough. He has a strong history in sports medicine. He asked me all about my health history and running and diet and even supplements. (He advised me to up my calcium to 2000/day and said everyone should take 5000 mg of D every day.) He seemed skeptical about a stress fracture, but he did a bunch of maneuvers with my leg to replicate the pain, and then he said, "Huh. Well, maybe you DO have a stress fracture!" So I have to have an MRI; he will look for fractures, inflammation, and tumors (I have a history of cancer). In the meantime, I can do anything that doesn't hurt - which basically is what I've been doing, easy walking and swimming.

If it is a stress fracture, no running at all for at least 3-5 more weeks. Then he has a "return to running" program for me to follow. I told him I have a 10K scheduled for March 5, and he smiled and said, "If you cheat, don't tell me about it." If I am pain free by that day, I may make a an attempt at running, but I honestly think I'll end up walking it.

I had a little epiphany about weighing today. I realized that when I am eating mindfully, I'm usually excited to weigh in the morning. But when I dread the scale, that's probably a sign I really NEED to weigh. So I can probably judge by my feelings whether I need to weigh daily or if I can weigh weekly.

So, this P1 reboot with extra fat and protein is still going great. I've been having 4 packets/day, and sometimes I have two restricted or a packet with higher fat than fits protocol. I've had 1 or 2 oz. of cheese almost every day. It's really amazing to me how much better I feel doing P1 this way. Not feeling hangry, no cravings, and I'm down over 9 pounds. I've also been eating one of those low-carb protein wraps every couple of days, with tuna or chicken + lettuce + cheese. They're very filling and satisfying. I feel I could continue to eat this way for a long time. The only thing I really miss is fruit, and a little dairy.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by HereIStand; 02-17-2016 at 11:17 PM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #188  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
Except for the annoying ads (yeah, visible on desktop, too), the update looks good.

Ortho appointment: I really liked the doc and feel that he will be thorough. He has a strong history in sports medicine. He asked me all about my health history and running and diet and even supplements. (He advised me to up my calcium to 2000/day and said everyone should take 5000 mg of D every day.) He seemed skeptical about a stress fracture, but he did a bunch of maneuvers with my leg to replicate the pain, and then he said, "Huh. Well, maybe you DO have a stress fracture!" So I have to have an MRI; he will look for fractures, inflammation, and tumors (I have a history of cancer). In the meantime, I can do anything that doesn't hurt - which basically is what I've been doing, easy walking and swimming.

If it is a stress fracture, no running at all for at least 3-5 more weeks. Then he has a "return to running" program for me to follow. I told him I have a 10K scheduled for March 5, and he smiled and said, "If you cheat, don't tell me about it." If I am pain free by that day, I may make a an attempt at running, but I honestly think I'll end up walking it.

I had a little epiphany about weighing today. I realized that when I am eating mindfully, I'm usually excited to weigh in the morning. But when I dread the scale, that's probably a sign I really NEED to weigh. So I can probably judge by my feelings whether I need to weigh daily or if I can weigh weekly.

So, this P1 reboot with extra fat and protein is still going great. I've been having 4 packets/day, and sometimes I have two restricted or a packet with higher fat than fits protocol. I've had 1 or 2 oz. of cheese almost every day. It's really amazing to me how much better I feel doing P1 this way. Not feeling hangry, no cravings, and I'm down over 9 pounds. I've also been eating one of those low-carb protein wraps every couple of days, with tuna or chicken + lettuce + cheese. They're very filling and satisfying. I feel I could continue to eat this way for a long time. The only thing I really miss is fruit, and a little dairy.

As always, your mileage may vary.
I am so glad that you finally got to see the ortho. That's great that he has given the okay to still do what you've been doing, and that you like him.
I hope that I'll remember where this post is when it's time for me to reboot- sounds like a plan to try- I mean, I know we're all different- but- in fact, I may pick up some of those wraps this weekend to try at lunch. I'm getting ready to want a sandwich for lunch. The bread I eat now, I can only have 1 slice, so I am feeling that "mental" thing about it only being a half a sandwich.
Interesting about the epiphany. I wonder if that gives you a sense of relief, if you know what I mean, to come to that realization-
As far as how things changed yesterday - I am on my desktop, I have an adblocker installed, it looks just like normal. My phone and ipad- I get the banana and jenny craig ads not the end of the world, and like Beth said, it's a free site so...c'est la vie I guess.
Eating a lot of salad of late- I guess you could call it "maintaining" I am going to have to work on weaning myself away from the daily weighing. It's playing with my head- I think I mentioned a couple of days (?) ago how even the ounces mess with my head. I can only think that it's to do with my years and years of up and down, never feeling that I was good enough, (even when I was skinny/fit/in shape) comparing myself to others, we've all got our baggage and I guess mine is that old heavy samsonite stuff they used to give away on Let's Make A Deal....anyhow....
Beth, I hope that you and DH had a nice anniversary- Happy 20 and to more than 20 more!!!
My DBF's daughetr (might as well call her my step daughter- after , almost 11 years, it's not totally inappropriate, do you think?) called to ask me to join her at the Y as her guest Sunday for an Aqua Zumba class. I think it should be fun. We shall see... take all my baggy skin and throw it in a bathing suit...lol- at least at the Polar Plunge, everyone was too cold to notice-lol
Sue, if it were me, I'd have the shake now-(your appointment is about 6 hours from now, so this probably doesn't do you much good)- sorry-Good luck at the weigh in. Don't you wish they could give you the lab results right there? I was so excited to see mine after losing all the weight.
Beth, thanks for sharing that you felt similarly after your P1 day. I guess it's something I'll have to keep in m ind. I hope that today is better. I didn't see where you stuck your foot in your mouth-did I miss something? I have a bunch of Quest bars, but I find they just sit there- I'm a Combat junkie now...lol. I am finding that I only have 1 snack a day in the afternoon- much like I did in P1,2&3-except instead of an IP, its Combat something.
Oh jeez- I just realized the time- gotta run- have a great day IP friends-♥ you all- and wouldn't be where I am today without YOU and your support!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #189  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

I'm seeing ads too (mostly jenny craig), I just ignore...

HIS i was thinking about you yesterday, wondering how your ortho visit went. He sounds very thorough and knowledgeable, and I'm sure you feel relieved to have some answers. If it is a stress fracture, it will heal, and that's not a huge amount of time. And in the meantime, you can do what you're doing.

Linda and Beth very interesting about the hunger you both experience on P1 days. I expect to have P1 days once I get into P4 so this is good to know. So maybe the thing to do is make sure there are some snacks handy all day. I really like what HIS is finding with her P1 reboot, adding extra fat and protein. This makes sense, I know that for me, all during P1, any straying off plan was adding extra fat or protein, and it didn't seem to hurt the losses, and sometimes actually helped. If it helps with the hunger issue, this is something to remember for sure.

low-carb protein wraps I don't know about these. Why don't i know about these Details please

I don't know what I think about daily weighing I know that for me during this P3 week, I've been weighing every day and it's been up and down a few oz - of course, same thing in P1 when I weighed every day. So P4 will be the same. I'm thinking less than a lb hopefully shouldn't freak anyone out (easy to say, harder to do ). But I'm also hesistant to NOT weigh every day, and if not for a week, then see a 3 or 4 lb gain... So where's the balance between obsessing and being too complacent?

Linda - have fun at the Aqua Zumba (sounds like fun!) You'll look fine in a bathing suit, OMG, look how tiny you are now. And spandex sucks things in a LOT

So, second last day of P3, it's gone by fast, and I had so many more breakfasts planned that I haven't had a chance to try But I am so-o-o-o looking forward to P4. Weight this morning was 135.8, so it's been pretty good. Sure hope I can keep it there for the next month
The weather is looking good for driving this weekend, so we'll be headed to Florida on Saturday morning. Going to get packed today, get the house tidied up, and laundry done (hate coming home to a messy house). We're looking forward to getting away from winter, though I have to admit it hasn't been much to complain about here this year. We'll probably be back about mid-March, but it's flexible since we're driving, and may meander a bit coming back Looking forward to visiting my sister, haven't seen her since Sept, so she'll notice a difference. And my brother is also there for a few months, we'll head over to see him for a few days. Haven't seen him since late summer. Funny we all have to be so far from home to have a reunion...well, mini-reunion, there are still a few of us missing; my family is scattered around all over and getting us all together doesn't happen often.

I treated myself to a sleep in this morning, had a coffee when I go up, and now i realize I'm hungry so I will go make myself some french toast....and PB...and banana....and yogurt

Have a great day, everyone!
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #190  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Thanks Linda and Beth for your advice! My friend/coworker has her weigh-in today. She said she put her work-out clothes on and her pants were super loose. Hopefully that means a good WI today.

I am not noticing new stupid ads yet. An annoying Jenny Craig at the bottom of the screen is there though.

So my hubby won a big safety award in construction on one of his big projects, so the company is sending him and ME for FREE to PUERTO RICO for the awards ceremony...just a weekend, but still pretty awesome. Now I am wondering what the heck I am going to do about the diet. Mini phase off and keep the carbs to a minimum while I'm there? Stay Phase 1? Switch to Phase 2 to allow more options? *Sigh*
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #191  
Ready to Reboot!

Nevermind!!!! There is a huge advertisement in the middle of my own post.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #192  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWi View Post
Thanks Linda and Beth for your advice! My friend/coworker has her weigh-in today. She said she put her work-out clothes on and her pants were super loose. Hopefully that means a good WI today.

So my hubby won a big safety award in construction on one of his big projects, so the company is sending him and ME for FREE to PUERTO RICO for the awards ceremony...just a weekend, but still pretty awesome. Now I am wondering what the heck I am going to do about the diet. Mini phase off and keep the carbs to a minimum while I'm there? Stay Phase 1? Switch to Phase 2 to allow more options? *Sigh*
How fun for your coworker! I hope she has a motivating WI.

Puerto Rico!!! That's awesome! When are you going? How close might you be to goal by then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesahead View Post

low-carb protein wraps I don't know about these. Why don't i know about these Details please

I don't know what I think about daily weighing I know that for me during this P3 week, I've been weighing every day and it's been up and down a few oz - of course, same thing in P1 when I weighed every day. So P4 will be the same. I'm thinking less than a lb hopefully shouldn't freak anyone out (easy to say, harder to do ). But I'm also hesistant to NOT weigh every day, and if not for a week, then see a 3 or 4 lb gain... So where's the balance between obsessing and being too complacent?
There are a couple of different brands, I believe, but I found Flat Out Light wraps at Walmart. 90 calories, 10 calories from fat, 6 g net carbs, and 9 g of protein. (I think there's also a higher protein version.) Some people just use them for veggie wraps, but I want more protein so I add chicken or tuna. The taste and texture is good and I really feel like I've had a meal when I eat one. You could use them as a breakfast wrap, with eggs, too. There's also an herb flavored one that I'm going to try as a pizza base, just adding sauce and some cheese and meat.

The weighing issue... that's the big question, where's the balance between obsession and complacency? I think you figure it out after a while in maintenance, and it looks different for everyone. I needed a break from the near-constant focus on weight, it really was becoming an obsession. And like I said yesterday, I know by my feelings about the scale whether I need to be more watchful. If I'm confident I've been eating well and don't fear the scale, I can probably back off from weighing every day. But if I know I've been lax in my diet and dread the scale, I probably need to hop on it daily (for a while) until I get things under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destony View Post

Eating a lot of salad of late- I guess you could call it "maintaining" I am going to have to work on weaning myself away from the daily weighing. It's playing with my head- I think I mentioned a couple of days (?) ago how even the ounces mess with my head. I can only think that it's to do with my years and years of up and down, never feeling that I was good enough, (even when I was skinny/fit/in shape) comparing myself to others, we've all got our baggage and I guess mine is that old heavy samsonite stuff they used to give away on Let's Make A Deal....anyhow....

My DBF's daughetr (might as well call her my step daughter- after , almost 11 years, it's not totally inappropriate, do you think?) called to ask me to join her at the Y as her guest Sunday for an Aqua Zumba class. I think it should be fun. We shall see... take all my baggy skin and throw it in a bathing suit...lol- at least at the Polar Plunge, everyone was too cold to notice-lol
Linda, maybe as you get further into P4, you'll be okay with those little fluctuations of the scale. I know you know that +/- a few ounces - or even a couple of pounds - don't mean you're "fat" or "skinny."

Don't worry about how you look at the aqua Zumba class! If your pool is anything like mine, most of the women in the water classes are over 60 and well over 200 pounds. They'll probably be jealous of you, baggy skin and all.

Beth, yeah, those freebie Quest bars were the re-reformulation. Still high in fat. I think the taste and texture was improved, but honestly, I like lots of other bars as much or more. As Linda said, the Combat bars are still my favorite, but I like the Oh Yeah Victory bars a lot. The Mission 1 bars are good and VERY high in fiber.

I did my BF measurements last night. Repeated several times to make sure I was getting consistent measurements. I tested at 17% BF, but I'd like to have my daughter do the 4-point measurements on me to compare results. Even if I'm off by 5%, I'm still in a healthy range so I'm really thrilled about that. I had estimated myself to be around 20%. I know this swimming is really giving me a upper body and ab workout, and I think my arms are getting more toned. Gotta look on the bright side of having an injury!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #193  
Ready to Reboot!

HIS The problem is that it's March 11th! That's only a few weeks away. I will be close to my original goal depending on my losses between now-and-then, but I wanted to lose more overall for the reboot. Also glad your measurements were in the healthy range and that swimming is working out for you.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #194  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWi View Post
HIS The problem is that it's March 11th! That's only a few weeks away. I will be close to my original goal depending on my losses between now-and-then, but I wanted to lose more overall for the reboot.
Oh gosh! What a dilemma! I don't know what I'd do... I tend to be a carpe diem kind of person, so I'd probably lean toward just eating for pleasure for that weekend, and get back on track at home. That would set your losses back a week or two, so you'd have to decide if that's worth the trade-off of not thinking about dieting while on the trip.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #195  

I am so p/o'd right now- I multi quoted and responded on a bunch of stuff and apparent;y the stupid site booted me off-arrrrggghhhh