Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #211  

Default Vegetables and Ideal Protein

I'm new here but I have a question that I hope you can help me with! I'm considering the an Ideal Protein diet but the only thing holding me back is all the vegetables! Can this diet be done successfully without them?
lollipop9100007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #212  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

There are lots of things you can do to veggies that make them more palatable. Dehydrated zucchini slices are like potato chips. Mashed cauliflower = faux mashed potatoes. Turnip fries = french fries. Blend spinach into a protein shake and you can't even taste it. Look on Pinterest for Ideal Protein recipes and you'll find a lot. But to answer your question, YES, you have to have the vegetables.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking trying to keep up with everyone's posts.

Blue - Enjoy your vacation and WTG P4!!!!

HIS - Have a speedy recovery!

Beth - All of this mention of 'bra lady' has been pretty entertaining lol

Lolli - Like HIS mentioned there are a lot of creative and easy ways to get the veggies in. I have had times where i'm not so good about it myself and have still lost, but usually the weeks where i'm on point with the veggies have been my better losses...so it's definitely worth finding recipes that you will enjoy! This will also aid your new healthy lifestyle habits.

Still plugging along here. This last bit has been really difficult. Still hungry all of the time! I've had a few special occasions where I unintentionally yolo'd it and it actually seemed to help shake a few lbs off. Even started incorporating Fage 0% greek yogurt a few times a week - seemed to help too! This past week though, I had to stop taking my thyroid meds due to it causing chest pains/palps and during the time waiting for a new Rx I gained 2lbs! UHG. Obviously that med (tirosint) paired really well with me - I wish it didn't cause the bad side effects because I really felt like a whole new person compared to others that i've tried.

Oh well, trying my best to stay OP for another few weeks to see how things go. Still seriously considering phasing off and just trying to lose the last bit with a 'normal' healthy diet and exercise. So tired of being hangry all of the time with barely any progress!
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #214  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
There are lots of things you can do to veggies that make them more palatable. Dehydrated zucchini slices are like potato chips. Mashed cauliflower = faux mashed potatoes. Turnip fries = french fries. Blend spinach into a protein shake and you can't even taste it. Look on Pinterest for Ideal Protein recipes and you'll find a lot. But to answer your question, YES, you have to have the vegetables.
HIS Thank you for the suggestions, I will surely look on Pintrest! I also saw a post on here about something called Greens First. Has anyone ever tried it? The post said that IP
Quote:
approved
it. Any thoughts?
lollipop9100007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Good morning IP'ers!
Well, after 2 really good weeks in a row, I had a slow week. It's to be expected seeing how I am so close to goal. Down 0.6# this week. I'm ok with that, the scale still went down and I still look and feel skinny. I have been taking my measurements along the way and am tracking really well in that department. The first time on IP, at the end of P1, my measurements were:

Wt: 134.8
Waist: 27.25"
Stomach (just below belly button as that is where I tend to store my weight): 32.5"
Hips: 37.5"

This morning, exactly 2# from where I ended last time, my measurements were:
Wt: 136.8
Waist: 27"
Stomach: 32"
Hips: 38"

So I am right in the ball park. The only place I seem to still be holding on to is my hips, but I lose from the "top" down. Even though my weight didn't hit 135 yet, I am going to start transitioning since I am actually smaller than I was the first time on IP. I know we have discussed my non-traditional approach to phasing off and maintenance, and I started today. I added some carbs in before my workout this morning and after my workout. I have to say that I felt pretty great. These next few weeks are going to rough- company, traveling, company, traveling, vacation... So I will do the best I can. I will likely end up doing a mix of transitioning, "normal" eating and P1 days to get through. In the end, if I can hold my weight steady in the mid 130's until we get back from vacation on 4/5, I will consider it a success. When I get back, I will probably need a week or so at P1, and then I will continue the transition.

At this point, I feel really good and I FEEL skinny. When I am dressed and look in the mirror, I am very happy with the way my body looks. Of course, in my birthday suit, I still feel like there are areas to tighten up With all of this, I feel comfortable and confident that these next 5 weeks, although they will throw me off my regular routine and will not be "normal", will work out just fine. I think it helps that I am happy with my body and my successes and that I don't feel "big and bulky" any more. This is life, right? It is never going to be perfect and I am just going to have to learn to roll with the punches. I'll have stretches where I can adhere to my plan every day, and then there will be stretches that I won't. It's just the way it goes.

I am glad that you guys liked my scale "schedule". It took me a while to figure out how to find that balance. I used to weigh every day or every other day, but I just found that ups and downs mess with my head. I like having the mid-week check to evaluate what is going on and one official weigh in a week.

Oh- did I mention that I found my uh-oh jeans? I found a pair of skinny jeggings (from Chico's) which are amazingly comfortable. However, they fit just right and there isn't much give to these puppies. If there comes a day that I can't get them up or struggle to get them up, I know it will be time for ACTION! And they are tight! So not much wiggle room

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Last edited by jennydoodle; 02-20-2016 at 12:58 PM.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Happy Sunday Everyone.
I had started a reply yesterday and hit the back button and lost it -- ugh...

The first thing I want to share is about my IP coaching videos. We have been having a lot of discussions about maintenance, effect of weighing, taking actions and our responses so I found this video very enlightening. (If I wasn't sharing this journey with you I am not sure it would have resonated as much as I am not in maintenance yet.) I am going to attach the handout, but in summary he compares our journey to that of a new driver and that a new driver tends to overcorrect (and weave across the road as they overcorrect for the overcorrect). He also talks about 3 weights - goal, the white line (minor adjustments and the rumble strip (immediately return to P1). I am interested in learning if you have 3 weights as described or just a goal and a scream weight?

Example a goal weight of 150, that 147 - 153 (was on the road and not crossing over the white line, 154 was that white line and maybe 156 was that "rumble strip". Is this what you are doing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IP weight personal commitment.pdf (156.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by smdawheel; 02-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #217  

lollipop9100007 - Vegetables are an essential part of IP and of your future maintenance. I have really expanded my vegetable selection including using other root vegies (radish, turnip, jimaca) as substitutes for potatoes. I do the spinach in my shakes, while it makes the shake green I do not taste the spinach and if the color bothers you put it in a cup that you can not see it. Using zucchini in meat or breads is also another one. I must say that my taste for veggies has really changed. I actually enjoy the varied flavors of the veggies now and am amazed at how different a veggie can be when raw, steamed or roasted. Adding or blending veggies to soups is another great way to get the veggies in. (FYI lettuce does not count toward your 4 cups a day - you can not count a lettuce salad (unless it is spinach).
Old 02-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #218  

Jenny - you are doing great. I love that your measurements or smaller this time around. Congrats on the new skinny jeans.

Kalaya - Congrats on your continued success. Check out HIS last few threads on some of the modifications she has been making with success.

Destony - Hope your check in went well. I think aqua zumba would be really fun. I only did zumba a couple times on land and I was sweating a lot, it was fun and a great work out (why did I not go back???). Have you considered putting a sticky not on the scale so that you can only see the pounds and not the oz? PS I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but I still have not figured out how to do the quotes.

HIS - sounds like you are making the best out of your situation. I hope you continue without pain for the weekend and can get some aqua workouts in. (sounds like you have / had a busy weekend )

hysteria_625 - Hope your long run went well. The wedding sounds fun, and what a joy to be in the position where multiple dress types will work. What kind of dress is the bride selecting or did she just pick the color and you pick a dress that looks good on you?

Last week sucked - work wise. Woke up at 4 am several days. Finally slept till 6 this morning and also had a car nap yesterday. Had my hair done, brows waxed and then we went to visit a friend you received a liver transplant 4 weeks ago. I guess my week wasn't that bad after all - it could have been worse. Spent some time removing items from my closet inventory. (I am still really perplexed that alot of my cloths still fit after close to 50# lost). I would think the closet should be empty by now (I had purged the skinny cloths about 6 months before starting IP). I guess it is the spandex in the fabric and it saving me from having to find new things. One shirt really showed the weight loss.

Today I am wearing my first outfit from last weeks resale shop bag sale and I feel good

Probably need to get everything together for the tax man today...

Last edited by smdawheel; 02-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

SMDA- That is such a good analogy! I really like it and I never thought about applying something like that. I think I am going to adopt something like this, because it makes SO MUCH SENSE. I bought a pair of jeans that I planned to use as my monitor, but between scale checks and the jeans, I am going to adopt a weight range and a "rumble strip" weight. Thank you so much for sharing, this has made me think.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 154/122.2/110

Height: 5'0"

Lollipop - I feel your pain. I like veggies, but loathe salads. I was told this diet can't be done without salads, but my coach said it's not true. I have been on IP since December 1st and have had exactly two salads in this whole time. Just FYI, you do need veggies, but they can be hidden very successfully. I often make the IP muffins to get some veggies in (have zucchini in it). Also, pureed cauliflower is basically tasteless if added to the egg packets.
dinkydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop9100007 View Post
I'm new here but I have a question that I hope you can help me with! I'm considering the an Ideal Protein diet but the only thing holding me back is all the vegetables! Can this diet be done successfully without them?
Simply said, no - to maintain, you have to make this a lifestyle change.

I wasn't much of a veggie lover either, but following protocol helped teach me new and delicious ways to fix them.

Others though have already noted there are ways to hide vegetables - spinach blended with the RTD's and soups.
But finding recipes, like cauli-rice (I make a curry & mexican), or Janeva's Pizza Burger...there are also yummy sweet-treats - jicama with cinnamon and stevia, chayote caramel "apples", and my personal favorite, rhubarb compote - all great ways to get your 4 cups of vegetables.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #222  

Sue - yes, thank you for sharing! I have a watch-it weight and an oh-sh!t weight ...slightly hampered by the 13.1 training - my watch it weight is where I am sitting right now, but seeing as how my uh-oh jeans are loose I'm slowly be surely not over-stressing about it...but if after race-season, I am still creeping towards the oh-sh!t weight, then it will be 3 weeks P1 and phase off.
Clothes - just sharing what I found...I was 234 and size 20 when I started IP, but was stretching my large rear into 16's and 18's too - the 20's started falling off once I broke into onederland but it wasn't until I was in the 170's that the 16's and 18's had to get sent to Goodwill

Jenny - you are very right about the ups and downs - and we are all just looking for balance congrats on the great numbers!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

For the first time in my life, I am going to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding. We went Saturday to help her choose her dress and the bridesmaids outfits / colors. She choose a gorgeous dress and we will be wearing very nice violet dresses. My NSV out of this - I had to go with a size 8! The 10 was too big and The size 6 fit everywhere but through the rib cage - this is the problem I have with small / & some medium shirts...the size 8 fits perfect and honestly, looks so nice. I was pleasantly surprised - and this gives me a new goal as we won't have any time to send the dress for alterations before the wedding so I am going to have to maintain Not that I wasn't planning on it but...
I am definitely discovering I am a goals-oriented person. I feel better working towards something - ie, the 1/2 marathon - and then we have 2 10 milers scheduled for April and May respectively. Then, depending on how the RnR 1/2 goes, we talked about looking into the Marine Corp 13.1 May15th...but this gives me the incentive too if I keep seeing scale creep to do a quick 5 week reboot starting after Memorial Day weekend and wrapping up the week before the wedding. I could cut back on my running for a couple weeks, rest, and be ready to start training for a 26.2
Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 240.2/144/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Hysteria --

Are you still finding the rhubarb at Harris-Teeter? My local HT hasn't had it for a few months now. Also -- interesting about the rib cage problem. I'm the same way -- I have to size up many times because I can't zip it up over the ribcage, the side zips being the most problematic. A small price to pay I guess.

A
andreabmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #224  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdawheel View Post
He also talks about 3 weights - goal, the white line (minor adjustments and the rumble strip (immediately return to P1). I am interested in learning if you have 3 weights as described or just a goal and a scream weight?

Example a goal weight of 150, that 147 - 153 (was on the road and not crossing over the white line, 154 was that white line and maybe 156 was that "rumble strip". Is this what you are doing?
Brilliant!!! My phase off last year was not ideal. DH lost steam and did not phase off properly with me. We do everything together for IP! Plus we were in a financially stressful time, so I felt like I had to end sooner rather than later. Anyway, this time is much better and staying here and having your support and ideas like this really make a difference!

jenny You are awesome because you seem to have a keen awareness of your body and what it needs to be successful. I'm still not that confident yet, but I hope to get there so that I can actual have a good maintenance.

Beth Rock on! I'm glad you had a positive experience with the bridesmaid dress. I find wedding/bridesmaid gowns are cut smaller than clothes in the store. I wear a size 10 now, but I was 20 lbs lighter when I got married and wore a size 10 wedding gown. I think that's normal. Interesting about the rib cage...my issue is my hips. They are big. I have pictures of me when I was in college and 105 lbs, and my hips were still huge!

HIS How are you feeling? Hope your swimming/aqua jogging is going well.

Linda How was the meeting with your coach?

Hope all is well. I decided to do a mini phase off and stay low carb while on my mini-vacation to Puerto Rico. Looking forward to another great week. Lost a pound from last week which is good. Like I said, the weight loss is sooo slow now, but as long as I am losing, I won't complain.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #225  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabmva View Post
Hysteria --

Are you still finding the rhubarb at Harris-Teeter? My local HT hasn't had it for a few months now. Also -- interesting about the rib cage problem. I'm the same way -- I have to size up many times because I can't zip it up over the ribcage, the side zips being the most problematic. A small price to pay I guess.

A
Andrea - I haven't made the compote since I ran out of fresh rhubarb I'd frozen in August / Sept so I am not sure - sorry. It's getting near that time though - I think I started finding it easily (at least at Global Foods) last April
Are you near any Trader Joe's? Or MOM's Organic stores? I believe both those almost always have frozen rhubarb

MiWi - Shape-wise, I fall somewhere between a pear and hourglass (but wide, as opposed to...um...busty I guess )- I still feel 'hippy' but have been told by others I'm not... I wonder if visceral fat continues to go down if the rib cage area will shrink anymore...idk though - I doubt there is too much there anyway - guess its just my build. I definitely thinned out through the shoulders but they are still pretty wide too - we joke that my brother got the pretty shoulders while my sister and I are built like linebackers

Excuse my colorful thoughts this morning
Alright ladies...I need to be held accountable! I have to get away from the scale before I end up saying "*bleep* it all to *bleep*"
Yup - I have goals and a dress I absolutely must fit into in 4 months...but Jenny is so right on target - that d@mn # is a mind-motherf'er

Especially when you KNOW you are holding yourself accountable...Saturday, I had nachos - even if the entire plate was 2,000 calories, it was split 5 ways and close to 1/2 wasn't even eaten! & I had 1/2 a thai-shrimp flatbread sandwich - it was skimpy, with one little tiny shrimp on each slice & idk what else truthfully, but it wasn't much...mostly bread & what I ate wasn't more than 1,000 calories...and I didn't have lunch.
For the running I did that morning (11 miles), it wasn't even really a splurge (except for not separating carb/fat for that meal)
Regardless, I ate low carb yesterday (under 50 net grams) and the #*%&!#*&@#$%*&#%(@#%* scale was STILL up 2.5 pounds this morning - creeping closer to that "oh sh!t" weight!

Oh - and I don't think its a "waste passage" issue, fwiw...the probiotics have really helped with regularity

I HAVE to get this in check - have to!

...and please, no reminders of how life isn't fair, ok...I understand life is what we make it and how we react to things is 90% on us, 10% the situation...but d@mn it, its not fair that I can't even have a couple nachos with sour cream and not have to go through this

It's even more frustrating with the exercise...I feel like I wouldn't be able to eat anything and not gain without the running & that's just ridiculously scary!