Old 12-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #241  

Weigh in report: ONEDERLAND

Feels like I climbed a mountain and hit the peak. Now I just need to navigate my way back down to the bottom.

I need to start incorporating exercise into my daily routine; more on the toning side of it than cardio. A lot of extra jiggling going on. Work has a few wellness classes throughout the day I can do doing my morning and afternoon breaks. I'll have to get myself in the habit of attending them.

Bone broth - never made it and can't say that I've had it, but I do like to make a soup with chicken broth (low sodium), kale, turnips and celery. I make a big batch and freeze it in portioned containers so when I need a quick supper it's ready. I've made it with chicken and without chicken...depending on what meal (lunch vs supper) I was planning for. I've developed a habit of preparing on Sunday's for the week. I'm hoping that it sticks with me forever.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #242  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

HIS - wow! Awesome time! Congrats! I fell in love with zoodles and with my low carb history, wasn't much of a pasta fan - a couple times a year when I'd make spaghetti for the family or lasagna (and truthfully, rarely ate it anyway as I was always dieting) but yay! Glad you were able to enjoy a favorite.
I'd actually read really good things about the Lara Bars - they are simple, with few ingredients (8 total for the one I had) - but omg, the calories and sugar! Lesson learned I'll stick with Combat and Quest (until I run out...)

mama - CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! Onederland ROCKS! also, if weather permits, walking is one of the best toning exercises you can do

one - following your updates over in the 2014 thread - glad DH is starting to improve more significantly! Lol on the "carb gremlins" & the reminder about bone broth...again, I've been part of the low carb / paleo community for years and have always meant to do this but rarely buy an entire chicken as I am the only one who eats leftovers. My boss says bone broth takes too long and I've watched her crack the bones and eat the marrow directly from what she's eating... yikes!

Had a normal morning, got into work early to do my cross training day and had to immediately turn around - poor DD10 fever, achy, yucky. She's resting and watching "Where The Wild Things Are"
I ended up doing T25 - ugh! Forgot how intense those videos are. I modified the joint-jarring moves but my arms still feel like jelly.
Working from home and looking forward to my 2 vacation days coming up Thursday and Friday. They will be busy - shopping for stocking stuffers, gifts for the work-team, etc...and then our final concert of the year.

Something to note about P4: I didn't think salt / sodium would be an issue anymore, but I don't think that was a good assumption - I've been feeling a little peckish recently...and along with that comes hunger. I'd attributed it to the running and would generally have a small snack. Today, being at home and having access to way too much food, I started nibbling, stopped and did a quick shot of salt. Within minutes, I perked up and the hunger abated - go figure...
I've also been slacking on the water intake and am making a conscious effort to drink more today.
Scale has stayed in the mid-140's
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

mama Fabulous!!
ONEderland is such a big milestone, I know you're just walking on clouds. Congratulions!!

HIS and Beth - You both amaze me with how well you're doing with the running. You are both going to do so well in maintenance! I wish I had some of that inclination, but I know myself and that's just not me. I do have to find exercise-y ...something I can enjoy, that's more than just walking, but I'm sure I will.

Beth - good thing to know about salt, who knew?? Pre-IP, we were conscious of added salt, so used it sparingly (more for DH's benefit).

So, I went for a WI today, I had just been in on Thurs, and was going to skip this week, but I decided to pop in. Down .8, which is nice. So still plodding along, slowly, but it is going down and goal is getting closer

OK, back to work, I've had a busy day and there's more on my To-Do list for today... just taking a break to have some green tea and check in here.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Mama WOOT WOOT!!!! That's awesome congratulations to you!!!!!!
Blue Try a bunch of different things- you'll get your groove on-lol. I am looking forward to trying the C25K and do a 5 K in the Spring- if for nothing else, to say I did it. I love tennis and hope to get back in to it soon.
Beth Thanks for the reminder about the salt. So much as I progress that I forget a long the way, especially if there isn't an issue....
Blue Yay!! Thats basically a pound!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!
This morning as I was doing my sit ups (still can't believe I can do sit ups...lol) I decided there are a couple of things that are just such terrible side effects to IP..#1-how much my spine and tailbone hurt laying on the rug dooing my morning exercises because there is no fat on them to cushion them #2-putting on clothes that you are looking forward to wearing and they look terrible on me...because they are too loose...#3-having difficulty shaving my underarms because of the "groove" due to fat loss...#4-people telling me they don't recognize me..and asking my "son in law" who the hot woman is that his FIL is with this year...#5-being able to swing my leg up in the shower soI can shave them...#6-getting on that damn scale and seeing the number (sometimes more slowly that I would like) going down.....(I'm sure that you understand I am laughing as I write these things... ) Cheers to IP!!! Oh, and my scale this morning...130.2 - It's still a couple of pounds different than the clinic but man- who'dathunk???? Have a GREAT Wednesday everyone!!!
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #245  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destony View Post
[B] I decided there are a couple of things that are just such terrible side effects to IP..#1-how much my spine and tailbone hurt laying on the rug dooing my morning exercises because there is no fat on them to cushion them #2-putting on clothes that you are looking forward to wearing and they look terrible on me...because they are too loose...#3-having difficulty shaving my underarms because of the "groove" due to fat loss...#4-people telling me they don't recognize me..and asking my "son in law" who the hot woman is that his FIL is with this year...#5-being able to swing my leg up in the shower soI can shave them...#6-getting on that damn scale and seeing the number (sometimes more slowly that I would like) going down.....(I'm sure that you understand I am laughing as I write these things... ) Cheers to IP!!! Oh, and my scale this morning...130.2 - It's still a couple of pounds different than the clinic but man- who'dathunk???? Have a GREAT Wednesday everyone!!!
Oh, Poor, Poor Linda - Such heavy burdens to bear...and not just one, but SIX terrible things to have to deal with every day. The strain and sorrow must be almost unbearable. I am almost sobbing here with the horror of it all!

Seriously though...130.2! Fantastic, tomorrow 130!!!

Just wondering though, are you going to use the clinic number or your own scale for your goal weight. My clinic is about 2.5 more than home (clothes!!)

Just headed out this morning, in a few minutes, I have some muffins to take with me for "breakfast in the car". Hopefully be back by lunchtime, because I have lots to do this afternoon; tomorrow we're going out of town for a few days.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #246  

Thanks Blue- it is a heavy cross to bear, I'm sure everyone can agree-lol
I am going to use the clinic scale as my goal weight-then knowing what the difference between the clinic is and my scale at home-I'll be able to judge ☺
Old 12-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #247  
IP start April 20, 2015

S/C/G: 227.5/136/140

Height: 5'4

Destony: your progress is phenomenal!!!! Way to go! You have a never give up attitude and look at how it's paid off. What an inspiration!
Blue: How about yoga for exercise? I discovered hot yoga 6 weeks ago and love, love, love it.
I'm now in my 2nd week of p3. I had changed my goal from 140 to 145 because I was happy there and have since lost 5 more in P2/P3. So I hit my original goal at my weigh in last Saturday. Yay!!!
I'm still in shock I think.
This is the toughest time of year for me. I had no issues over the summer because I had a goal in mind and everyone supported me. Plus, there's so much grilled food and salad that I still enjoyed my food and could stay on plan.
But this time of year, OMG, it's all comfort food and desserts. The support too isn't quite the same because now people say, you're not still trying to lose are you?
I struggle quite a bit with cravings now, but then I get up and walk around and I'm so happy that my thighs aren't rubbing together anymore that I lose that urge to nibble.
I get to have my fruit now every morning that I love. And, I made the cauliflower crust pizza last weekend that was so good, I see no need to eat regular pizza ever again.
I'm glad you all are hanging in there and there's so much success. Keep going!
livinlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #248  

Blue - happy for your loss - another step closer to goal! Always glad we don't have much traveling to do around the holidays - hope yours is uneventful and fun!

Linda - So proud of you! Only 0.2 from GOAL!!!! Your perseverance and willpower are amazing and inspiring!
Did you ever get any answers / reassurance about your liver #'s?
& LOL on your 'list' - I had just told Roy the other night we need to get cushions for our wooden dining room chairs - my @$$ is too bony now!

& may I add a TMI one...being able to see what I am shaving around the lady-bits

HIS - on our FB comments the other day...I am always amazed - and maybe a little unnerved, that more people don't question advice like that (a person on P1, but close to goal, was advised by their coach to take 2 cheat days over Christmas)...and then how much support they got too! Don't get me wrong, I know folks have to do what works for them and we are all human - but wow - more fuel for my already suspicious and ever-more pessimistic mind

I really, really do not understand why coaches are not encouraging / teaching people who make it to goal and are phasing off / entering maintenance about using apps like MFP to track?
It doesn't have to be for life...but I am going to get kind of real for a minute here...clients have done the hard work to get the weight off - and while everyone is different, the base theory is you didn't get overweight by eating right and exercising all the time (vast majority...thyroid issues / medications aside) - so why not give them the tools to monitor themselves in maintenance? This comes full-circle to my theory about needing repeat-customers and how helping clients be too successful in maintenance would eat into profits.

I will be very curious to see what type of support Linda and Blue receive as they begin the later Phases.

Speaking of, I believe I have found a personal issue. As much as I love it, I think the carb loaded P3 breakfast is going to change for (ever? a while?). I've been having HORRIBLE cravings & hunger for the last week. At first I was attributing it to the running / additional exercise and eating - healthy, but snacking - especially in the evenings. Then I went back and looked over my diary (MFP) - mornings I ate lower carb didn't have as much snacking.

The other problem appears to be what I've been snacking on...lots of fruit.

So this morning starts a new trial period - low carb / high protein breakfast, but same calories (450 - 500) - and the protein is for recovery after running. Same lunch w/ fat and dinner (with occasional carb) - and then evening snack of a little fruit with greek yogurt or cottage cheese or protein bar.

We'll see - maybe I just need to switch things up every once in a while...and maybe it was just nibbling on too much fruit throughout the day, as opposed to limiting it to a serving at breakfast.

Right now though, the experiment seems to be working:
B - 2 eggs with 1oz cheese, 2 slices turkey bacon, and 1 scoop salted caramel Quest turned into a mug cake with 2T pbFit
L - roasted cabbage with lean ground turkey and 1/2 an avocado

I feel good today and haven't been ridiculously hungry

Also, ran my first 5 miles this morning!!!! had a new PR mile too - 10:19
Old 12-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Mama - Welcome to Onderland. I hear it is a fabulous state. Having climbed one small mountain the journey off the mountain is equally difficult (if not more) than climbing it. I am sure that your are equipped for the rest of the journey.

Destony - you are getting so close. Wishing you a goal weight for Christmas or at least New Years.

Livin -Interesting thought about support waning we move through the process. I think I am glad that I started this journey just before the holidays. The weight loss is still at a faster level and I think it has been easier to focus.

Beth - I continue to appreciate your thoughts and insight. I am still struggling with journalling. However your analysis and revelation remind me why it is important. Do you track your hunger in the app? I have been noticing some hunger the last few days and I dont think I am getting all the oils I should be. (as I type this I realize that I am short today and done with my food - I guess lettuce and oil it is for dessert).

Busy week with 7 AM meetings that I am presenting at (some 1 hour from home . I weighed in today -- it has been a little under 2 weeks since my last weigh in and I am down 7.8 # for a total of @21.1# in 5 weeks. With husbands surgery next week and the holidays I can't get in to see my coach until Jan 7th (I could go earlier in that week, but I like to keep close to my weeks. I think the extra walking last week helped.

I am still receiving the daily IP videos. There was a good one on willpower yesterday. I know reading the forums a lot of people describe phase one as autopilot. The Dr. indicated that the studies show the more choices that you have to make the weaker willpower becomes. He implied that the initial phases limit choices so that we can maintain our willpower. Before the video I was going to ask my coach about using soy cheese for pizza for Christmas. After watching it I decided that why even go down that path.. so I will stick to the shrimp and veggies (and enjoying the family).

For my Christmas cookie I got the lemon wafers today. (I still can not get the famed vanilla crispies)

Sue
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #250  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

mama - YAY! I knew you could do it!!! Soon the 190's will be in your rearview mirror.

Linda, I hear you on the bony parts. My behind really hurts when I have to sit too long on our wooden kitchen chairs! But, ah, you're so close! When's your next weigh-in?

Blue, I'll echo what everyone else has said about exercise - just find something you love (or don't hate), and make it part of your daily routine. Even just walking is beneficial, and research has shown it's one of the best exercises for toning the abdomen. Think about whether or not you enjoy being with people. I love running as a solitary activity, but some folks love exercise that's social, like tennis or yoga classes.

smdawheel, your weekly average is over the expected 3 lbs/wk, so you're doing great!

Beth, some of the FB posts make me crazy. I really do not understand how people can be so ill-informed. And the bad coaching! I mean, a trained monkey could do as well as some of those coaches. Like you, it brings out my cynical side and I wonder if some clinics are only looking at the dollar signs. It certainly doesn't paint the corporate side of IP in a very good light. I think there are good clinics out there, but IP doesn't seem to have a handle on what to do with the bad ones. And while I'm on the topic... I've seen some Canadian IP users say that their IP "clinic" is a pharmacy. How are they being monitored by a physician with that business model? I know the Canadian health care system works differently than in the USA. Do Canadian pharmacies have a doc on staff?

I have already backed way off on my breakfasts. The whole idea of a huge breakfast and light dinner just does NOT work for me. I was consistently ravenous every evening - maybe because I run in the morning? - and ravenous hunger leads me into binging. Yesterday, due to some schedule conflicts with running and other things, my breakfast was at 11:30 am and consisted of a banana with some peanut butter (the real stuff, with lots of fat). Then I had leftover pasta and an apple around 4 pm. It was the first day I wasn't really hungry later in the evening. I had to make myself eat at 7 pm, and that was a bag of protein pretzels because I was in the car, yet again. Not really a balanced diet - no veggies! - but something worked to keep me feeling full. Of course, I won't eat that way every day, but it was so nice not to be fighting the hangries from mid-afternoon until bedtime.

Yesterday, I laid out a training schedule for the next few months and feel good about it. It lets me build up to a half-marathon more slowly and will also allow me to run a couple of 10Ks in the interim. Then I can train through the rest of the year for a possible marathon next November. At this point, I don't see marathons being a regular thing for me; I just want to finish one so I can say I did it. I think I could very happily continue to run 5Ks and 10Ks for the long term.

Last edited by HereIStand; 12-17-2015 at 09:41 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #251  

HIS - Yah - your food yesterday probably would've probably sent me off on a binge but glad it seems to have worked for you. It nice not feeling hungry
We look to be on the same trajectory as far as running - barring injury, DH and I have the 13.1 planned for March and we just found out we made the lotto for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler April 2! That keeps us busy for the spring *whew*...but even though I told DH I wasn't really interested in training for one, I've always wanted to do the Marine Corp - like you, just to say I've done it...but I'm holding off until I see how the 13.1 goes. I haven't even done a 10K yet

DD10 has been home and sick since Tuesday Took her to the Dr. yesterday - no strep, ear infection, or flu...just a nasty virus. She keeps spiking a temp (101 - 102.5) and has thrown up a couple times. We've been watching a lot of movies and hanging out.
Today was suppose to be a run but it started raining at 6:30am (cold = ok, wet & warm = ok, wet & cold w/o proper rain gear = pneumonia) so I cross trained today and will get a nice, brisk run tomorrow morning.
...and maybe low carb isn't the answer...or maybe it's just being home & off-schedule...but got hit by the munchies again this afternoon.
Had a couple pieces of a cantaloupe I was cutting up for DH and one of my 'healthy' cookies...smeared in cashew butter
I didn't think about it yesterday...but also didn't have to cut up / clean a bunch of fruit either...and I started nibbling on the cantaloupe and one thing led to another...its probably the closest I've gotten to old, binge-y habits...I could easily have eaten a couple more cookies.
Ugh - fruit is 'healthy' darn it

Just curious too what thoughts are in regards to recipes like the healthy cookies. Problem is, I am the only one who will ever eat these...DD10 tried a bite and didn't like them...DH / DD19 wouldn't touch them with a 100 foot pole. Most of the time, it isn't an issue - and I was able to slam the breaks on today...but if they weren't here, it wouldn't be a problem, period, kwim?
It made 9 'cookies' and even 1/2 the recipe would be too much *sigh*
I want to try new things (including sweets) but tossing the extra's is going to be hard...but I guess if I'm going to have issues with willpower, in the trash they go
I should have just taken a nap
Old 12-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #252  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Hey Everyone! Sorry i've been out of touch as of late. Time is just flying by! Gosh I think i've missed 4-5 pages of posts already. I'm sorry I didn't get to congratulate everyone on their achievements or provide feedback. It looks like everyone is doing well though!

HIS - You look amazing!

Mama - Super grats for onederland!

Blue - I'm sure that you will find an exercise routine that you will enjoy. Lately i've been really into videos from blogilates - the instructor is so happy and personable that she really makes all of her routines enjoyable. Best thing: everything is FREE! She makes monthly workout calendars all planned out already! There are also a few 'challenges' as a way to start things off.

I was slacking on the exercise bit while I was sick. Now i'm better and have been trying to get into the routine again. On my last official WI day (saturdays) I was down 2.4lbs, which is great! Still slightly disappointed since I hadn't lost anything the week prior. We'll have to see what this Saturday holds.

I'm not gonna lie, things have been rough lately. Idk, i've been so HUNGRY all of the time most days for the past two weeks now. Like the type of hunger that can't be satiated. I ended up eating FOUR quest bars yesterday. Cravings have been a big problem because of that now, especially with this time of year and bountiful offerings everywhere! I even caved and had one little reeses pb cup. I'm not happy about that, but I am happy that I was able to limit it to just one and only that...until my quest bar 'incident' yesterday, lol. Gosh I was just so miserable. This was legit hole in your stomach hunger. I'm hoping that it passes because i'm pretty confident that I still have at least 10lbs to lose. My armpits are not craters by any means like you guys have described lol. I don't have high hopes for weighing this Saturday, but that's okay. Just hoping i'm at least the same. I did do quite a bit of field work this week so maybe things will balance out. Kind of worried about my self control now. The next few weeks I will be on vacation, which didn't worry me in the least bit until these intense cravings/hunger. Even right now I'm sooooo hangry, I just need to go to bed before I do something bad!

Wishing everyone a great night!
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #253  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Thank you, Kalaya. Oh, I SO understand the hunger as you get close to goal! Beth and I both went through that in the early fall. We both tried adding extra fat to our diets (she ate some avocado, I ate cheese), which helped at least part of the time.

Don't worry about your armpits. We all lose weight in different ways. Even though I'm at goal, my thighs never got as thin as I'd like.

Beth, re: healthy cookies. Well, cookies are triggers for me, so take what I say with a grain of salt.... My thinking on food is that if I can't have the real thing, or something very close, I probably don't want it. If I could control myself, I'd rather have one real cookie than three alternative cookies. But we all have to figure out what works for us.

Yesterday I worked out on the elliptical at the gym while hubby was having his physical therapy. Afterward, he wanted to get something to eat, so we went to a popular Mexican food place in town. Not a lot of low-carb, low-fat options. I ended up with a taco salad w/ guacamole, which would have been fine, had I not also gorged myself on chips & salsa. UGH. Scale popped up 2.5 pounds today, which is probably mostly due to sodium, but still. Lesson learned.

Tonight we're taking our daughter to a gumbo place (her request) for her birthday, and I've never been there, so I have no idea what I'll eat. I'll have to be extra careful with my food choices all day. I'm doing a short, easy run today, but it's currently 28 degrees, so I hope it warms up a little pretty soon. Tomorrow's my second attempt at 5 miles. Hope it goes better than the last 5-mile run.

Last edited by HereIStand; 12-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #254  

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

I love reading everyone's updates. It's great to see everyone progress and challenges. HIS and Beth I'm envious of your running. I was running a few years back, but with the weight, I was causing more harm than good to my body. Running was my time to think and process information or get rid of frustration. I've had to resort to low impact (yoga), which is ok, but I've come to find it's not my favorite. I find it hard to get into a regular routine doing it.

NSV this morning. I get into a size 14 pants. This is the size I was wearing when I did IP last time. They are a little snug and I have a little bit of muffin top, but hopefully that won't last long! I'm just glad I have another pair of jeans to wear as some of my other ones are pretty baggy.

Hope everyone has a great day!
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #255  

and now things get really cra-cra- lol
Beth, I agree, the lady bits- was pretty cool the first realization that I didn't have to lift my belly out of the way...*snort*
We had our Christmas breakfast this morning. I had a raspberry jelly at 530 like normal-(I had done 45 sit ups, 60 crunches and 75 squats) so I wasn't going to shun my coaches recommendation. Breakfast was around 8, I had 2 eggs over easy, a side of broccoli steamed and 2 slices of turkey bacon- and of course some F/R/H on the broccoli. I have been stuffed all day. It was tough to eat my caulifauxtatoes at lunch with a quest protein shake (vanilla with a tsp of TJ's pumpkin spice) a tsp is too much- I am still stuffed, will eat dinner around 545 then babysit the littles and will save my snack for later- I am so full still- bloated. Cookies and candy rolling in to the office- so far so good.....
mama- 14's!!! YAY!!!! That mt will be gone before you realize it ☺
Beth-hope DD is feeling better. How are you doing? Glad to be reading of people's struggles- not glad really- what I mean is it's information for me to be on the lookout. Pretty sure that by the middle of January I will probably be heading to P2. Unless I really fudge up in the next 2 weeks....there'll be a little- I already expect to. I know what it will be on too. But hopefully small enough tastes that it'll be cool.
Goota fly again- but wanted to check in.
Be well everyone!!!! ♥

edit @ 6:45AM-W/I today....will be interesting- on my home scale I have lost 2 lbs since Sunday....129.6 this morning...!!! Can you say *cheshire cat grinning"??? I haven't seen 120's since before I got pregnant with my son 31 years ago!! *woot woot*

Last edited by Destony; 12-19-2015 at 07:00 AM.