Old 12-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

jaimie - congrats! Such an awesome feeling to be able to say that!

Linda - I understand and completely empathize. I wish I had some super sage advice - I agree with Blue though that maybe shaking things up a bit couldn't hurt - maybe try a week with a little more fat (red meat?)

sma - you did great being away! Sorry about the cold - ugh! Travel can be tough, but you rocked it

Blue - YAY! Flex that willpower muscle! Pumpkin seed brittle eh? That sounds amazing!

So the holidays 'officially' began today with our kick-off Carbon Leaf show. It was a little weird though as it was the first time being sober.
Ate fairly well - flip flopped P4 lunch / dinner - high carb lunch, high fat dinner - but no indulgence yet. With the running I am hesitant about having to drop back to a P1/P2 day
Today was long run and DH went out with me this morning and pushed me to a new PR We took the hilly route too...but yah, my legs are feeling it!!
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #227  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Just thought I'd check in quickly and share an update...

I tried doing truly ketogenic diet for a week and gained just under 2 pounds for a week. I found it very hard to limit calories with high fat. I have been burning the candle at both ends with my business and campaign and have fallen into old eating habits this week . I have been off plan since Tuesday and feel awful. My joints hurt and I feel so sluggish. I will get back on Monday as how I am feeling is a huge motivator to get with it. A little bubble gum psychology- I think old eating habits appeared to cope with emotions- I am very much out of my comfort zone working on campaign of cold-calling people and canvassing neighborhoods. I need to get back on plan and on Monday I plan to be strict IP to undo damage as quickly as possible. i will do strict IP to get me to goal.

One other update - a camera crew from NBC Nightly News followed me around and interviewed me today. It is supposed to air on Monday's Nightly News which in Chicago airs at 5:30 pm Central time. There was a press conference last Saturday that is now airing as well - I have had customers and friends text me last few days to tell me they have seen me on TV - I didn't expect any of that as I have never done anything like this before - if this tv thing keeps happening, it will be extra motivation to get back on plan as I need to look good on camera LOL.

On a serious note, I feel awful - my joints ache, my sleep is disrupted (hence why I am posting at 2:30 am), and I am so bloated. I need to get back on Monday. It is amazing how damaging being off plan for less than a week is - last time when I went off plan for 6 days I gained 19 pounds and that is exactly how I feel right now. I need to double down on my efforts starting Monday. I will do that and will weigh myself after holidays hoping to see myself less than 10 pounds from goal. I have found that I usually need 2 weeks IP to every 1 week off plan to undo damage. I really feel like crap - why did I do that to myself and even planning on another off plan day tomorrow even though my body hates me right now with fluid retention and such. Only one thing to do to fix the damage...

Last edited by Ro22; 12-13-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Blue and Beth you're probably right- I do/have find/found that when I was eating more red meat - flank steak, ground sirloin I would lose more than when I was eating predominately chicken breast. I'll pick some more up today when I go shopping. Thank you for your thoughts. I feel like all of a sudden all I do is come on here to bi*ch- maybe thats all I've done all along and don't realize it-lol(?) I feel like I have been shaking things up though- eating a tad of what I shouldn't here and there- so leary of falling in to that trap of not being able to get back on track-my friend that I have talked about is there and it scares me for her- but I can only control my decisions not hers...
Jaimie CONGRATULATIONS!!! You go girl!!!
Blue I applaud and bow to your strength and will power with the brittle. It was so hard unwrapping the kisses for Tony and smelling all the wonderful smells in the house (read sugar) We do our delivering today which is a good thing- get it out of the house!!!
Beth loved the pics from last night that you posted-looks like a great time! CONGRATULATIONS on the run!! So proud of you!! I'm finally starting to feel better so I will tackle the C25K after the holidays so I can do one of the local 5Ks in the Spring. Talk about willpower-no indulgences yet-WOW- good for you!
Ro Hey, that's great! I will make sure to keep an eye out on the news-I always have that on while making dinner. I'm sorry to hear about the 2 lbs-interesting though how the food affects us so-sleep too- that has to have something to do with the weight gain. I remember that was a point highly stressed to me in the beginning by my coach- make sure you get enough sleep. I used to log it in my food journal to make sure -in case there were issues, she could see everything I was doing. You really are hitting home a point for me about making sure that I pay enough attention to me to my triggers/stressors.
So, last night was another Christmas party. We had a great time- talk about shaking things up- yeah I probably did just that.....ate propery and drank all my water through 5 o'clock-at that point I should have had something but I didn't. So we left for the party around 6:45 and I drank a EAS Carbvantage choc drink in the car. We for to the party and of course, NOTHING I could eat (should have prepared-and I considered it and then said taheckwithit I'll deal with it there) I did make step daughter some Quest peanut butter cookies since she couldn't eat what her dad made and i had 1-I got 8 cookies out of the batch that typically makes 6 -turns out she is not being able to stay OP, but she appreciated my thought-I went with the expectation that there might be a party platter of deli meats that O could pick off of and that I would have a bite or 2 of DBF sweets that he had. So, I had (to the best of my ability to judge) about 1/3 of a cup of the sausage from the sausage, pepper and onion bowl, 2.5 cocktail meatballs that were in a sweet type sauce and I would guess 4 or 5 oz of ham. It looked pretty lean for ham (which I know is not really true when it comes to ham-but it did look pretty decent) it wasn't a baked, mapley type-more of a boiled looking -anyhow- that and I just had some plain mustard that I dipped it in. I had a couple of red solo cups of water and felt full and never touched the sweets. Then on the ride home, because I had a premade strawberry banana drink- I brought that because I was unsure of what I was going to eat and wasn't thinking clearly-obviously- that I already ahd had my 3rd "IP" thing for the day with the drink on the way to the party. So I would say that I shook it up a bit. I almost said to DBF when we got home lets split a cookie- but I didn't, we went to bed. This morning, scale said 131.4 - last Sunday it was 131.2, so it will be interesting what it says tomorrow because looking at the trend, by Wednesday it should be around 133.something....but I'm going to get more flank steak and sirloin this week and see what happens, One thing she did point out yesterday- I was back on my Jocama kick because of the lack of cauliflower...she looked it up and that I should probably start treating that as an occassional veggie- she warned me about that when I was on my turnip fry kick. They are on the higher end of the carb scale so that could possibly be my issue. So, I'll lay off Jicama for a bit, maybe stick to cauliflower if I can find it frozen-, zucchini and summer squash. Today is all about delivering all the cookies from yesterday, then we have to grocery shop, I have to get some more decorating done, I would like to finish the cards and get them in the mail tomorrow, ...so much to do, so little time to get it all done and I haven't finished my shopping let alone get any of it wrapped. Pressure is on now....Happy Sunday friends- rock on. If anyone is looking for me-I'll be in the bathroom peeing out all the water I am going to flush my system with today after the past 2 evenings worth of eating-lol
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #229  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Another day when I barely have time to log in, let alone read anything.... I have to load up the vehicle with gifts, then go to church, then drive the 3 hours up to OK to go to my grandson's first birthday party. We won't see them at Christmas, so I had to wrap everything yesterday for delivery today. We won't stay long - DIL is a very difficult individual - but I anticipate not getting home until 8 pm. Thankfully, my new DIL came over last night and helped me put up the tree, so that job is done.

My 5-mile run on Friday was dreadful. I felt sluggish the whole time. I don't know if it's the slight increase in my weight, or the warmer weather, or what. Yesterday I did a 3 mile walk and today is my rest day. Maybe it was just an "off" day.

Maintenance is going okay, I guess. I'm holding right at 159, which is 4 pounds over my goal weight. Can't seem to shed those 4 pounds. I so do NOT want to do P1, but I guess I have to. I'm just not mentally motivated. I hope that after the holidays, it will be easier to get back to eating better.

Last edited by HereIStand; 12-13-2015 at 09:03 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Happy Sunday,

Jaimie - congratulations on your progress

Beth - I think the fact that you have not rushed to have the indulgence signals that this is a new lifestyle for you. Congratulations on the new PR.

Ro - not sure if I will be able to see the evening news tomorrow, but maybe I will DVR it. Interesting as to how the changes affected your body, did you ever do the test you were referring to.

Destony - Holidays are hard. Never know what to expect with food and it seems rude to ask in advance. My aunt and uncle are vegan and they always bring own meal.

HIS - first birthdays are so much fun. Sounds like your new DIL is great. Congrats on holding steady.

We had a family Christmas party last night. I found it was successful to position my self in another room away from the food. I had been asked to bring a veggie tray so I new I could eat something. I also brought along a container of my chicken noodle soup for supper. Luckily they were serving pork tenderloin and had green beans as well. So I did not have to bring out the soup. Cookies, Cake, angle food candy, and a family tradition of Hershey bar torte did not bring me off plan.

DH is having his 3rd back surgery next week Tuesday. Hopefully after this he will be able to be more active.
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #231  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdawheel View Post
Happy Sunday,

Jaimie - congratulations on your progress

Beth - I think the fact that you have not rushed to have the indulgence signals that this is a new lifestyle for you. Congratulations on the new PR.

Ro - not sure if I will be able to see the evening news tomorrow, but maybe I will DVR it. Interesting as to how the changes affected your body, did you ever do the test you were referring to.

Destony - Holidays are hard. Never know what to expect with food and it seems rude to ask in advance. My aunt and uncle are vegan and they always bring own meal.

HIS - first birthdays are so much fun. Sounds like your new DIL is great. Congrats on holding steady.

We had a family Christmas party last night. I found it was successful to position my self in another room away from the food. I had been asked to bring a veggie tray so I new I could eat something. I also brought along a container of my chicken noodle soup for supper. Luckily they were serving pork tenderloin and had green beans as well. So I did not have to bring out the soup. Cookies, Cake, angle food candy, and a family tradition of Hershey bar torte did not bring me off plan.

DH is having his 3rd back surgery next week Tuesday. Hopefully after this he will be able to be more active.
I didn't. The test strips didn't arrive until this past Friday and I was off plan by then so I knew I was out of ketosis.

Linda - I feel same way in terms of venting, etc here. These last 10 pounds are causing the negativity because I was not seeing the fruits of my labor.
So, what do I do...I go off plan and make it a ton worse. Ugh. I need to get my mind right to get with it tomorrow. I plan to fast tomorrow. I have no P1 food with me here in Iowa and I fly back to Chicago tomorrow night so I am best off fasting tomorrow and baking when I get home for the P1 weeks ahead. I can't wait to get this bloat/weight off. My skin even hurts due to high fluid retention. I am ready and will get back on track tomorrow.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #232  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Linda - I feel same way in terms of venting, etc here. These last 10 pounds are causing the negativity because I was not seeing the fruits of my labor.
So, what do I do...I go off plan and make it a ton worse. Ugh. I need to get my mind right to get with it tomorrow. I plan to fast tomorrow. I have no P1 food with me here in Iowa and I fly back to Chicago tomorrow night so I am best off fasting tomorrow and baking when I get home for the P1 weeks ahead. I can't wait to get this bloat/weight off. My skin even hurts due to high fluid retention. I am ready and will get back on track tomorrow.
I know, it's so frustrating! So far, I consider myself really fortunate, I haven't let my mind go to that really bad place where I throw caution to the wind and say freak it! BUT I know, it could happen anytime-I learned a long time ago, the committee in my head can be a very dangerous group if I allow it to be. I wonder if fasting is the right thing? I don't know - but I think what I would do (so that tomorrow when you get back to it, you aren't famished) is eat as if you are eating say, P1 dinner-or close to it- a couple of eggs for breakfast, lunch protein and approved veggies, and dinner the same thing- by then you are home hopefully and you can bake some Quest cookies or something like that? I know that when I have scrimped on something- say my veggies or even eaten a bit crappy, my coach has pointed out and asked were you hungry the next day or if I've noted that the following day I was hungry, she has looked back to the day prior and found that one of those 2 things has occurred. Just thinking about what may help to make getting back on track easier. You got this- I know you do-we all do-the stresses of the holidays, you checking out a new adventure for the family with the political campaigning, jumping back on the IP bandwagon- that's a lot to undertake- You have your friends here, I hope that others will chime in with ideas/experiences with what may help you. I don't know that my idea is the right way to go about it, but I am pretty sure that if it were me and I was in the same boat, this is what I would do. We're all here cheering you on!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #233  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Ro and Linda - No apologies about venting here - after all, what better place?! Heaven knows, we all have so many things on our minds... are we eating the right things, why is the scale not moving, moving slowly, going up, going down? Not to mention health issues! In my world, there are not many people who will listen to this day after day, much less understand, or offer suggestions or help - except for my Ipeeps It is never good to let all these things fester inside our heads, so bring them here, dump them all on this table, just writing them down makes it better, adds clarity, even if no one offers answers, you will definitely be talking to kindred souls!
And I must say, you have both been very helpful to me on my journey, so as far as I'm concerned, it's all good!

Ro - I'm sorry the ketogenic experiment doesn't seem to be the answer, and I hope your fasting day makes you feel better. IDK the solution for you, wish I could help, but sometimes I think the best thing, like you said, is to go back to basics. I remember someone (can't remember who, sorry it was some time ago) said she noticed less losses when she had lots of the baked things. Not logical, really, but just a thought. Maybe just stick to the shakes/puddings for a week. Basic lean meats, steamed veggies, salads with oil/vinegar.
And don't forget all the other stress in your life right now, Christmas, all the travelling, the political thing, can you possibly pack anything more in? No wonder things are not working!
Anyway, just try to stay on track as best you can till the end of the year, hopefully things will straighten out by then, good luck, I know it's hard!
But on a cheerier note, how exciting, you're going to be a celebrity! I will definitely be watching the news!

I'm off to the hospital this morning for a test (nothing serious, just a follow-up) but had to fast, not water even! since last night. I'm really thirsty, going to take a big bottle of cold water in the car with me and gulp it all down after. I made many batches of brittle yesterday, got some packaged up to mail, have to go over to Michigan right after the hospital to mail to my US family. I made a batch of muffins to take with me in the car, I'm going to be starving by then!

Good Monday everyone!
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #234  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

I'm feeling a bit better today as the scale dropped a bit, down 1.5 pounds. I had birthday cake yesterday, but otherwise ate P1 and doubled down on my water, which I think made a huge difference.

Ro, I'm so sorry you're struggling, but I know you have the fortitude and knowledge to push through this small setback.

Short post .... My modem isn't working so I'm using my phone to get online, and I hate typing on this thing. I'll be back later if we can get the computer stuff working.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #235  

Quick question, blood test results for annual are in and I can see them before the doctors appointment. The ones for the liver function- those jumped pretty crazy- worrying for nothing already because the diet is gong to make that test jump due to the stress it puts on your liver? If you know, please let me know- thanks ☺
Old 12-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #236  

Quick notes:
HIS - sorry the 5 miler was blah...see below - my run this morning seemed plodding, especially after setting a PR on the hilly route. Glad the scale moved the right way...idk about you, but for me, with the 4 days of running, its very difficult to think about dropping back into a full P1 day...even a P2. Don't get me wrong, I know one day of calorie deficit isn't going to do any lasting harm - its mentally knowing I'm going to be hungry. Hope the birthday party went well (and difficult DIL behaved)

Ro - glad things in Iowa were successful, regardless of the diet set back. Hope the fasting goes well and you are back on track tomorrow. Very sorry the ketogentic diet wasn't a success. Truthfully, I didn't lose much more once I added the fat into my diet again - but I upped calories (around 1,200) and I did it more for health reasons, rather than weight loss. And remember, you will be retaining water from travel as well tomorrow. Try to drink as much water as you can and maybe a short walk around the 'hood when you get home - just to shake the Iowa dust off?

Linda - hey, b**ch away lady! Your willpower is amazing! I haven't had to deal with any holiday parties - I missed my work for DD10's parade rehearsal and DH's company is employee only. We've only had a box of cookies come in as temptation this holiday season. Someone will probably bring doughnuts and coffee next week (maybe me ) but otherwise, we are just not a bunch of cooking / baking partiers.

sma - hope DH's surgery goes well and congrats on surviving the family party

Insanely busy with work...and I'm not even doing the real year end work yet *sigh*
Add in some man issues b/c DH has been in a mood recently (PMS / p**sy male syndrome) and it came to a head last night so my weekend ended in a big ball of arguing / crying / anxiety / depression
Yesterday was further reminder of how badly anxiety / depression still effect my eating habits. I was so ridiculously hungry yesterday. I tried to eat within P4 boundaries and still didn't have a splurge - yesterday would have been a VERY BAD day for a splurge...but I did make "healthy" banana/applesauce oatmeal raisin 'cookies' but was able to limit myself to one (and licking the bowl out...).
OTOH, the hangries hit while I was grocery shopping and on a whim, I decided to try a LaraBar (Alt LaraBar actually)...I thought I read the nutritional information carefully until I went to plug it into MFP and realized my "110" calorie protein bar ended up being 270 (110 was "calories from fat")
It was chocolate peanut butter and was so dense and rich I was thinking 'wow, how can this only be 110 calories'? yah - so buyer beware on that one!
But holy cow that didn't make my day any better...that was 2 snacks rolled up into one - & while it tasted terrific, with everything else that happened that day, I was I really had to reign myself in later that evening. Plus yesterday was my rest day and I generally try to eat a little lower in calories. That didn't happen either...MFP went red by the evening.
I love P4 though...I had 2C of butternut squash with dinner last night. OMG! Better than the LaraBar!! I hadn't had butternut squash since my mom was alive <3 grilled it like a potato, 1/2T butter and sprinkled with a touch of cinnamon - delicious!!!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #237  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destony View Post
Quick question, blood test results for annual are in and I can see them before the doctors appointment. The ones for the liver function- those jumped pretty crazy- worrying for nothing already because the diet is gong to make that test jump due to the stress it puts on your liver? If you know, please let me know- thanks ☺
...obviously, go over the results with your PDoc but my levels have hovered right on the top-side of normal for awhile, but never broke through the top 'normal' range.

Here are some older threads with decent information:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-while-ip.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...r-enzymes.html

One common theme is pain medicines, specifically Tylenol and I know you were suffering with a nasty cold...had you taken Tylenol or Tylenol-based products recently?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #238  

Jamie congrats on the success so far!

Ro don't be so down on yourself. You tried something and found out it didn't work. If you didn't try it, you would still be wondering if it was a better choice for you. You know IP works and how to get back on track...and you have a great support system.

Linda I applaud your ability to attend holiday parties and not eat all the amazing things that must be available. Bravo!

I think the lemon water is making a difference for me. So far this week my loss is looking great! I don't do official weigh in until tomorrow, but I was pleasantly surprised to see I was .6 away from Onederland this morning! Adding a lemon to my water is the only change I've made to the plan. If it's not official tomorrow I'll be disappointed, BUT I know that it should happen within the next few days.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #239  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

hey Ro -- sorry I missed the NBC news tonite - would love to have seen you. Maybe you will be on the 11pm news..... I'll check it out.

I also wanted to mention that I saw Dr Kellyann Petrucci on PBS this weekend - she promotes a low carb diet, with 2 days of what she calls a mini fast aimed a goosing up the metabolism. Her mini fast is to have Bone Broth all day long until about 7pm when you have basically a P1 dinner - protein, veggies and fat.

Bone broth made in the crock pot is very nutritious, loaded with collagen, good for minimizing inflammation, and very portable if you have a thermos. Dr. Kellyann sells it, but it's very inexpensive to make it yourself in the crockpot/slowcooker.

I am going to give this a try as part of my re-boot regime. I have chicken carcasses in my freezer just waiting to get into the slow cooker with some celery and onion (that will not carmelize in the broth). Dr. Kellyann's recipe for beef bone broth is at the link above if you want to check it out - if you register on her site, she will send a guide that has several versions - including chicken as well as an Asian variety.

Hope this is helpful info for you - the last 10 lbs got the best of me in July and August, and when I had a lot of emotional stress with my DH's fall and hospitalization etc., I just let that take me totally off the wagon. DON'T LET YOUR GREMLINS TAKE YOU BACK INTO CARBS!!! I know you can do this - I am coming back to do it with you!!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #240  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

(Hoping this will post. My modem is still in-and-out.)

Destony, b*tch away. I think Beth and I did our fair share of complaining during our last few weeks in P1. It's a very hard part of the diet, when you're trying so hard and losing so little. Let us know what you find out about the liver business when you talk to your doctor.

mama, I'm excited to hear your weigh-in report today!

one, a friend gave me some beef bone broth back in November, and oh my word, it was delicious. I was still on P1 at that time, so I just added some allowed veggies and a few turkey meatballs. Next time we have a cow slaughtered, I'm going to get all the bones I can.

Beth, it's unfortunate that so many of the bars that are readily available in grocery stores are just crap. Too much fat & sugar, too many calories, not enough real nutrition. I still have a cache of old Quest bars, and of course the Combat bars and a few Victory bars, but I'm finding that I eat them only occasionally now, usually as a meal replacement when I'm in the car. My at-home snacks are more likely to be trail mix or powdered PB on celery.

Last night I had pasta for the first time in 6 months. It was the Ronzoni high fiber stuff, and I was careful about eating a small portion with the allowed sauce and ground beef. SO good. I skipped the parmesan cheese. I love pasta dishes and used to eat them at least once a week, now they're going to be a once a month treat.

I had a better run yesterday, and my times continue to slowly improve, much to my amazement. Yesterday I ran a 9:11/mile pace, for 4 miles! I've pretty much decided NOT to do the half marathon in February; I think I need more time to build mileage and I don't want to risk injury. There's one in early April that might be better for me. I haven't decided about the 15K in February, either. I want to see how I do with the 10K in a few weeks.