Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #106  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Mary - You can work on either total carbs or net carbs. Theoretically the net carbs normally comes out between 25 and 30, occasionally higher if you eat mainly puddings & shakes and have a restricted each day.

I work on net carbs, because I don't regard fiber as calories, as it's slow to digest and its purpose is to keep the food moving through the system.

Sue - congrats on the 14s, you'll be out of those into 12s soon enough, trust me. It's weird, but you lose sizes quicker than weight as you get into Onerderland. Way to go on getting such a lot of swag on $80, that's some shopping skill you have!

Glad you get the unexpected bonus of an extra day off, hope you enjoy the mental head space that comes with it - even if you end up doing housework!

Alexandra - you're right, my nutritionist classes anything under 200 carbs as low cal. Technically IP is very low carb, and, like you, I can push them a lot higher than indicated without leaving ketosis. It may be a weaker level, but it's still ketosis.

I agree that the food pyramid is diabolical, and it's no wonder that today's generation are really struggling with weight. I keep hoping that all the new science and research on fat not causing fat will filter through.

Hubby had a massive discussion (aka argument) with a professor who teaches nutrition while in the gym yesterday - about sugar. He was adamant that HFCS is THE only problem, rather than the consumption of all processed sugars and added sugars. Talk about a dinosaur attitude - it made me wonder whether such tutors are required to read the latest research findings, because his knowledge seemed considerably behind on non-food industry financed reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

In terms of what is "Normal" (supposedly healthy) to eat in terms of carbs. The Mayo Clinic says that on a "healthy diet" (I suppose that means if you are a healthy weight and eating to maintain and be healthy?) you can (should?) eat up to 325 grams of carbs per day. Again that total probably depends on your height, sex, exercise level, etc.
This is where I like MFP. Using Ankerl's keto calculator you can get an idea of where your basal metabolic rate should be. Using MFP to enter the calories adjusted for scheduled exercise, you can assign percentages or direct values to the individual macros and get an idea of how many of your calories should be coming from carbs. It's quite eye-opening.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Happy Mothers Day to all that it applies to... spending the day with my family and Mom going out to dinner...

Well I got a lot accomplished yesterday...Basically emptied the office and office closet tossed/recycled/donated and put everything back. I even found time to finish to photo collage frames I bought a while ago. Office is looking great..just a few things to finish up today. Also bagged up 2 large bags of clothes to bring to the donation place Monday.

DH and I had a Date night at Bed Bath & Beyond LOL....I needed a new toaster. The romance never ends LOL....Also wound up with a nice set of sheets that are supposed to help regulate temperature...we will see. Going to wash the bedding today so tonight will be the test if it was worth the money.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #108  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Sue - you are a whirlwind! If you run out of chores at your house, come see me for a few weeks and help me clear the decks!

I have an NSV to share - been meaning to mention this since before my trip to CA. The last day that I was at work - Thursday Apr 30 - I was a bit late getting the last of the loose ends nailed down before taking leave, but when done, I left the building and headed up the street a couple blocks to catch my bus. I walk about 2 and a half blocks to catch my bus before it fills up - sometimes I get a seat by doing that.

I was wearing a dress that day, with pantyhose. As I was hoofing along, keeping an eye out ahead for my bus, I suddenly realized that my thighs were not touching one another! I have not been walking briskly and had that feeling for decades. I immediately thought of how nice it was going to be to wear a pair of shorts, and be able to move around, walking without having the legs of the shorts wadding up between my thighs.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this a huge NSV in my book -- right up there with being able to sit down, bend over and tie my shoes while continuing to breathe at the same time.

Nothing like the simple joys of life!
!!!YAY!!!!
Old 05-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #109  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Briael, I am going to google ... Ankerl's keto calculator ... sounds interesting.

SGRealtor, a date night with a toaster at the end of it ... that's cute!

OneUh2, that is a HUGE NSV ... I am totally there with you girlfriend. It was a bit of shock to me when I found I could cross my legs (for the first time in over a decade) a few weeks ago. It's interesting that you were wearing pantyhose, was that by choice or a dress code? I see so many women out there with bare legs -- I have always been a pantyhose fan -- but I hear nothing but complaints from most. It's sort of a dying fashion accessory (at least it seems that way to me.) It always made me feel polished and put together -- and I like the way it covers up little flaws. To each their own I guess!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 05-10-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #110  
Serial Dieter

I had a NSV yesterday ... Tuesday, May 12th is my birthday (turning the big 58!) and my closest girlfriend threw me a dinner party last night (I prefer weekend celebrations). I ate some non-IP foods and thought for sure I might be up a pound this morning. I was flabbergasted when I was actually down 1 pound when I jumped on the scale a few hours ago. I did walk twice yesterday (about 4 miles total) in preparation ... and stopped eating my IP regimen at noon so I would have more of a calorie deficit to work with.

I think perhaps my body is functioning better with me being only 14% overweight now -- and I am able to burn off deviations in eating.

Also at the urging of a nutritionist I am seeeing, I've also been adding small amounts of carrots, zuchini, and green beans to my meals (only 6 oz a day total) for the past 2 months and I am still losing fine. I guess in some way that might be considered a bit of phasing off???? Even though I am still losing 10-12 pounds a month. Funny thing about the few carrot pieces I hit when eating ... they taste like CANDY!! I think I am so "off sugar" that carrots taste super-sweet to me. I think perhaps my height and exercise routine are helping me continue to lose. My nutritionist was concerned that my eating was too strict and limited.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 05-10-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #111  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Hahahahah Sue - gotta love a man who will buy you a new toaster on date night.

Wow Cheryl, that's an awesome NSV - and I bet a much appreciated one. I always hated the hot, sticky, sweaty feeling of the pantyhose clinging to my thighs, and the chafing. I hadn't even thought of that, as I seldom wear anything but pants these days. Way to go!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, of both human and pawed children. Hope today is full of happy moments.

Down again this morning. At this rate I might make 154 before I leave on Wednesday! Normal BMI ahead. At 98.8 lbs down, so close to that elusive 100 club.

Not sure if I'll get to the gym today or not, as hubby fell down the stairs yesterday. So lucky that the only thing he did was bruise his butt - could've been nasty as we have a curve in our stairs so once you fall, you fall big. Of course, to add insult to injury, two of the cats went and sat on him while he was stretched out at the base of the staircase. LOL

Last edited by Briael; 05-10-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #112  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post

OneUh2, that is a HUGE NSV ... I am totally there with you girlfriend. It was a bit of shock to me when I found I could cross my legs (for the first time in over a decade) a few weeks ago. It's interesting that you were wearing pantyhose, was that by choice or a dress code? I see so many women out there with bare legs -- I have always been a pantyhose fan -- but I hear nothing but complaints from most. It's sort of a dying fashion accessory (at least it seems that way to me.) It always made me feel polished and put together -- and I like the way it covers up little flaws. To each their own I guess!
I used to wear the "hold ups" with the elasticated and glue-like sticky lace when I was working - just had to keep wetting it down to reactivate the "stick" factor.

I think young'uns today prefer bare legs, but it always looks more of a casual beachy thing than a professional dress code.

Quote:
I had a NSV yesterday ... Tuesday, May 12th is my birthday (turning the big 58!) and my best girlfriend threw me a dinner party last night (I prefer weekend celebrations). I ate some non-IP foods and thought for sure I might be up a pound this morning. I was flabbergasted when I was actually down 1 pound when I jumped on the scale a few hours ago. I did walk twice yesterday (about 4 miles total) in preparation ... and stopped eating my IP regimen at noon so I would have more of a calorie deficit to work with.

I think perhaps my body is functioning better with me being only 14% overweight now -- and I am able to burn off deviations in eating.

Also at the urging of a nutritionist I am seeeing, I've also been adding small amounts of carrots, zuchini, and green beans to my meals (only 6 oz a day total) for the past 2 months and I am still losing fine. I guess in some way that might be considered a bit of phasing off???? Even though I am still losing 10-12 pounds a month. Funny thing about the few carrot pieces I hit when eating ... they taste like CANDY!! I think I am so "off sugar" that carrots taste super-sweet to me. I think perhaps my height and exercise routine are helping me continue to lose. My nutritionist was concerned that my eating was too strict and limited.
I agree with you because I've had the same experience. My body started holding onto weight with the caloric restriction. My nutritionist told me to bump my cals up to 1200 (preferably 1400) and I'm back to losing steadily again - despite reintroducing several OP foods (chobani yoghurt; parmesan; rare english muffin, pancakes - all in moderation, of course). Even tossed in a quarter cup of blueberries with no problems, and had two large strawberries yesterday. I love trying to predict the effect reintro'd foods will have - it's always interesting and I am compiling a list of maintenance foods from my experimentation.

Not sure if it's because we're shaking up the body's expected intake and forcing it to work harder until it learns to be smarter, or if it's just that at a lower weight the body is more tolerant of the deviations.

My nutritionist was also concerned at the low carb levels. If you ever check my MFP you'll see that I work more to the caloric intake and keep my macros fairly balanced across the board where I can. It is working for me at present, despite migrating further from compliance, so I'm happy.

Last edited by Briael; 05-10-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #113  
Serial Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
I used to wear the "hold ups" with the elasticated and glue-like sticky lace when I was working - just had to keep wetting it down to reactivate the "stick" factor. I think young'uns today prefer bare legs, but it always looks more of a casual beachy thing than a professional dress code.
Those seemed too much like some sort of tourniquet that would cut off your blood flow. LOL

Quote:
I agree with you because I've had the same experience. My body started holding onto weight with the caloric restriction. My nutritionist told me to bump my cals up to 1200 (preferably 1400) and I'm back to losing steadily again - despite reintroducing several OP foods (chobani yoghurt; parmesan; rare english muffin, pancakes - all in moderation, of course). Even tossed in a quarter cup of blueberries with no problems, and had two large strawberries yesterday. I love trying to predict the effect reintro'd foods will have - it's always interesting and I am compiling a list of maintenance foods from my experimentation.

Not sure if it's because we're shaking up the body's expected intake and forcing it to work harder until it learns to be smarter, or if it's just that at a lower weight the body is more tolerant of the deviations.

My nutritionist was also concerned at the low carb levels. If you ever check my MFP you'll see that I work more to the caloric intake and keep my macros fairly balanced across the board where I can. It is working for me at present, despite migrating further from compliance, so I'm happy.
This is interesting. I hear you on 1200 calories. I added up the cals on strict IP P1 and I think I came up with 800 (tho it depends a little bit on your choices). I dont really know how much of the weirdness I do with food can be applied to others due to my height and frame. I just walk my @ss off to try to burn off the difference. It sounds like we are seeing the same nutritionist LOL. Maybe they all think along similar lines.

Did I ever mention that I lost 100 pounds (in 2001-2002) on a "Macaroni and Cheese & Chocolate Chip Cookie" diet? The trick was restricting myself to 1200 calories a day. My body seemed to care-less what I ate to get those 1200 calories. Bottom line is I suppose there are a 1000 different ways to lose weight. You just have to find what works for you! My semi-modified IP diet is working great for me right now.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 05-11-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #114  
oneuh2

Quote:
I suddenly noticed a year or so ago that a lot of women had stopped wearing pantyhose - I cannot imagine 3 inch heels being comfortable on bare feet, never mind the chafing I would have experienced with bare legs. I think that many probably wear Spanx long leg shapers that take care of the thighs - they seem to be very popular even for the string bean figured folks....

But like you - I feel like stockings even out the skin tone and give a much more attractive look to anyone's legs. And now, my 63 year old loose skin on the thighs and tummy really appreciates the light shaping effect of pantyhose. I am a bit short-waisted so my regular pantyhose pull up high enough to tuck under my bra - creating the effect of a body shaper - a nice smooth shape. While the weather was cooler, this was working out fine. Now it is a bit warm to have that extra layer over my torso - with dancing, it is like being wrapped in saran wrap. Very warm.

I actually wore no stockings to the wedding I attended in the CA vineyard last week - I knew it would be quite hot, and I had a pair of Jockey Skimmies with me - kind of an alternative to a slip that's like a very soft no control version of spanx. In general, I think I am likely to continue to wear hose with dresses unless the occasion is very casual. I agree that the look is much more 'put together.'
Old 05-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #115  
Serial Dieter

My legs! Actually I caught a glimpse of them last week and they are just looking so thin (compared to where they were 100 pounds ago) that I had to snap this pic. My feet have shrunk too and my shoe size is down 1 full measure -- so my heels are actually too big. Yes, tall girls like wearing heels too (at least occasionally). This is what walking 700 miles (up and down hills in my neighborhood) since October 2014 has done for me. Now if I can just lose more of my bothersome waistline (always the last to go).

Last edited by Avalon1957; 05-11-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #116  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957

This is interesting. I hear you on 1200 calories. I added up the cals on strict IP P1 and I think I came up with 800 (tho it depends a little bit on your choices). I dont really know how much of the weirdness I do with food can be applied to others due to my height and frame. I just walk my @ss off to try to burn off the difference. It sounds like we are seeing the same nutritionist LOL. Maybe they all think along similar lines.
Mine's a bodybuilder, who has a degree in Sports Nutrition. They do seem to like their clients to keep the basic caloric intake around the BMR though. I've seen three different exercise nutritionists at the AWC and they all seem to work to the same principles. They don't like food groups being excluded at all, they want a guaranteed minimum caloric intake, they want to know what exercise/exertion levels you do throughout the day and they go through my food sheets like a nit comb. I find it all hugely amusing, but I can honestly say that I feel great. The "gaunt" look my face had taken on has disappeared with the increased fat and it doesn't appear to have hindered loss.

Looking at my macros I would've assumed I was out of ketosis, but the rate I'm currently losing at would indicate that isn't so. Considering I can bounce from 200+ carbs for two days and then have two days of around 60 (1000ish cals) and be losing again I think it's just an individual biochemistry issue. Either that or my body burns calories up as soon as they're put in at a mealtime that is close to exercise time. I know that the burn rate is significantly increased for a period of around 4-5 hours after strength training, so maybe that's the key secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957

Did I ever mention that I lost 100 pounds (in 2001-2002) on a "Macaroni and Cheese & Chocolate Chip Cookie" diet? The trick was restricting my self to 1200 calories a day. My body seemed to care-less what I ate to get those 1200 calories. Bottom line is I suppose there are a 1000 different ways to lose weight. You just have to find what works for you! My semi-modified IP diet is working great for me right now.
I love that it's possible to lose eating like that, but oh boy that's a real lack of nutrition there with such a limited menu.

I have always done ok on caloric restriction. Managed to shed 60lbs in Hawaii that way (regained it all in 4 years after we moved to EP), by cutting down portion sizes and tracking everything. I was losing 1-2lbs a week steadily on 1500-1600 calories and going to the gym/swimming every day - albeit it was mainly cardio.

I love the IP principles - I just think it's a little too extreme to be on for an extended period of time. I love losing the weight, but I'm not prepared to compromise my overall health and hormonal balance by restricting intake so far.

One of the major things that I *have* noticed is that I feel better having a bigger meal for lunch than for dinner. It's like my body is more comfortable eating at that time. Wonder if it's a throwback to cooked school dinners?

Quote:
My legs! Actually I caught a glimpse of them last week and they are just looking so thin (compared to where they were 100 pounds ago) that I had to snap this pic. My feet have shrunk too and my shoe size is down 1 full measure -- so my heels are actually too big. Yes, tall girls like wearing high heels too! This is what walking 700 miles (up and down hills in my neighborhood) since October 2014 has done for me. Now if I can just lose more of my bothersome waistline (always the last to go).
Holy batwotsits, Alexandra!!!!!! Those are some heels and a half. Loving the slim calves you've got going on - I am wildly envious. Keep up the walking, it's obviously working out great for you.

Last edited by Briael; 05-10-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #117  
oneuh2

Quote:
My legs! Actually I caught a glimpse of them last week and they are just looking so thin (compared to where they were 100 pounds ago) that I had to snap this pic. My feet have shrunk too and my shoe size is down 1 full measure -- so my heels are actually too big. Yes, tall girls like wearing high heels too! This is what walking 700 miles (up and down hills in my neighborhood) since October 2014 has done for me. Now if I can just lose more of my bothersome waistline (always the last to go).
great looking gams there, Alexandra! And not just high heels, but a platform under the ball of the foot too - I bet you can see for miles when you wear those shoes!

Pretty soon I guess I need to post an update picture - overall body like my profile pic, though, cause just my legs are not as good lookin' as yours - I have big ankles (and wrists) for my body size, but they are much smaller today than they were a year ago. German ancestry get's the blame, I believe....

I love seeing progress pix - they are so inspiring!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #118  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
Pretty soon I guess I need to post an update picture - overall body like my profile pic, though, cause just my legs are not as good lookin' as yours - I have big ankles (and wrists) for my body size, but they are much smaller today than they were a year ago. German ancestry get's the blame, I believe....

I love seeing progress pix - they are so inspiring!
It's about flipping time you did, Cheryl LOL.

I hear you on the ankles - mine are large as a result of scar tissue from endless ankle injuries over 25 years of competitive netball, and I've always had big calves from all the sport as a child. Ah well .... they don't show under pants.

It's weird though - looking at photos with the weight on I look like a large frame. Now I can see the real size of my hips, wrists, elbows, knees etc, I am starting to realise that I am a medium frame at most, possibly a small frame when I see how narrow my shoulders are getting.

I had forgotten how much fun suitcase packing is when you have cats. Three cats nosing in two bags is hilarious. As fast as I was putting clothes in, they were pulling them out again ... everything had to be sniff-checked (i'll just let TSA know that my bags have been cat scanned), pawed and laid on before I was allowed to close the lid. Joy. Furry clean clothes to arrive with. Hahahaha.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:02 AM   #119  
Serial Dieter

I think things like ankles and wrists tend to expand as we age -- but it is fun when we catch a glimpse of them shrinking -- it's all relative. I just like seeing the change. (I love those before and afters!) I have lost so much weight, so fast, that I think I am still in the shock (eyes can't believe it) phase. And I do agree how cool it is to see ones true "frame" again, after having so many pounds packed on for so many years -- one tends to forget about the bone structure underneath -- until you lose the excess padding and start to uncover it.

OneUh2 ... I totally agree that our ancestry and genetics plays such a huge role in how we look. Mother nature is a mad scientist! But you can't fight your genes.

Briael ... Ahh, cat's in suitcases. Yes, I get it. My cat LOVED open suitcases on a bed with lumpy clothes packed in. That's cat heaven in terms of bedding. Sorry about all your injuries (sounds painful). What is netball? I loved volleyball and basketball when I was younger.

Damn, just 2.5 more pounds to down 100 even. Maybe in a week I can get there. That's a cool milestone.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 05-12-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuh2 View Post
Sue - you are a whirlwind! If you run out of chores at your house, come see me for a few weeks and help me clear the decks!

I have an NSV to share - been meaning to mention this since before my trip to CA. The last day that I was at work - Thursday Apr 30 - I was a bit late getting the last of the loose ends nailed down before taking leave, but when done, I left the building and headed up the street a couple blocks to catch my bus. I walk about 2 and a half blocks to catch my bus before it fills up - sometimes I get a seat by doing that.

I was wearing a dress that day, with pantyhose. As I was hoofing along, keeping an eye out ahead for my bus, I suddenly realized that my thighs were not touching one another! I have not been walking briskly and had that feeling for decades. I immediately thought of how nice it was going to be to wear a pair of shorts, and be able to move around, walking without having the legs of the shorts wadding up between my thighs.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this a huge NSV in my book -- right up there with being able to sit down, bend over and tie my shoes while continuing to breathe at the same time.

Nothing like the simple joys of life!
!!!YAY!!!!
Ha! I had to laugh on the thigh rub. I hate that LOL...Actually Friday I did wear a skirt an no stockings and I didnt feel like I set myself on fire, so I guess it is getting better. I too love the way panty hose shape and blend my legs, however I truly dispise them LOL..I always wind up with a finger nail thru them. I do like to wear knee highs when I have a long skirt on with heals which is not often. Fortunaly my job is pretty business causal.

Quote:
Briael, I am going to google ... Ankerl's keto calculator ... sounds interesting.

SGRealtor, a date night with a toaster at the end of it ... that's cute!

Quote:
I had a NSV yesterday ... Tuesday, May 12th is my birthday (turning the big 58!) and my closest girlfriend threw me a dinner party last night (I prefer weekend celebrations). I ate some non-IP foods and thought for sure I might be up a pound this morning. I was flabbergasted when I was actually down 1 pound when I jumped on the scale a few hours ago. I did walk twice yesterday (about 4 miles total) in preparation ... and stopped eating my IP regimen at noon so I would have more of a calorie deficit to work with.

Crossing my legs was a huge one for me and now I cant stop doing it LOL...I cross them whenever I can Funny about adding some foods to mix it up. I have been thinking about that for a while . I know I need to push thru these last 20lbs or so but it would be so nice to have a bit of fruit or something....

Quote:
Hahahahah Sue - gotta love a man who will buy you a new toaster on date night.

Wow Cheryl, that's an awesome NSV - and I bet a much appreciated one. I always hated the hot, sticky, sweaty feeling of the pantyhose clinging to my thighs, and the chafing. I hadn't even thought of that, as I seldom wear anything but pants these days. Way to go!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, of both human and pawed children. Hope today is full of happy moments.

Down again this morning. At this rate I might make 154 before I leave on Wednesday! Normal BMI ahead. At 98.8 lbs down, so close to that elusive 100 club.

Not sure if I'll get to the gym today or not, as hubby fell down the stairs yesterday. So lucky that the only thing he did was bruise his butt - could've been nasty as we have a curve in our stairs so once you fall, you fall big. Of course, to add insult to injury, two of the cats went and sat on him while he was stretched out at the base of the staircase. LOL
Good job on the WI...not so good for hubby falling. Ugh. hope he is ok.

OK Aria scale question..DH bought me one for Mothers Day, but everytime he steps on it, it registers in my account. Help! he doesn't have a fit bit or a MFP account...anyone bueller bueller??

Had a nice quiet Mothers Day yesterday. Did some cleaning up around here. Went and did some shopping at Avenue and got a few shrug short sleave sweaters so that I can wear a few of my long sundresses, also went to GNC for some protien chips and did a return at Bed Bath and Beyond (not my toaster LOL) Then we went to dinner last night and I had a delish piece of salmon over broccoli. Came home and Me and Hubby took the dog for a walk around the block...all in all nice day. Today back to the hecticness that is my life....
Closed Thread