Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #451  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. Hope you are all having a good day. Now - I feel like I can ask this group anything... so here goes!

Someone posted in another thread today that their coach says they need to have a min of 6 hrs uninterrupted sleep to stay in ketosis.

This has me wondering, because (as long as I drink the required amount of water/day) I still have to get up to pee about 3x/night... if I sleep 8 hrs/night (as I generally do) I can't see where it would ever be possible to have 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep? I'd have to do all my peeing within 2 hours!!! And it just doesn't work that way. I seem to wake up about every 2 hrs or so with the 'urge'.... thank goodness I quickly fall back to sleep each time.

This has got me wondering if I'm unusual in still waking up this frequently in order to pee? Is there something wrong with my 'waterworks'?

Oops... all this thinking about peeing has made me (quess what?).... need to run to the toilet. That 40 oz of water I've drank so far today is working it's way through.....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #452  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Hi everyone. Hope you are all having a good day. Now - I feel like I can ask this group anything... so here goes!

Someone posted in another thread today that their coach says they need to have a min of 6 hrs uninterrupted sleep to stay in ketosis.

This has me wondering, because (as long as I drink the required amount of water/day) I still have to get up to pee about 3x/night... if I sleep 8 hrs/night (as I generally do) I can't see where it would ever be possible to have 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep? I'd have to do all my peeing within 2 hours!!! And it just doesn't work that way. I seem to wake up about every 2 hrs or so with the 'urge'.... thank goodness I quickly fall back to sleep each time.
I don't believe you need 6 continuous hrs of sleep to stay in ketosis. I do believe getting enough sleep helps with the weight loss, but that probably has more to do with having more energy when well-rested and being able to handle stress better. I too am usually up at least once to pee, but I've had trouble sleeping for years. If I get 5 hrs of (continuous) sleep I consider myself very lucky.

Brrr - so cold here! Wind chills of -15 (-26C), continuous snow for 3 days now, with no end in sight. Roads are slippery. Such is life in the north. Very happy I don't have an outdoor job! (Honestly, I'd rather have this weather for a bit than live with 90+ degrees for several months!)

Have a great day!

Last edited by greeniris; 01-21-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #453  

I certainly DO NOT believe that you need 6 hours of sleep to stay in ketosis. My metallic mouth tells me differently! Gonna google this info. Considering all of our weight losses I doubt that it has made much of a difference! Yes, I'm up a couple of times a night to pee as well.

I had to laugh when I read this! We discuss menstrual cycles, constipation, mamograms etc so freely!!!!! gotta love it
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #454  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
I don't believe you need 6 continuous hrs of sleep to stay in ketosis. I do believe getting enough sleep helps with the weight loss, but that probably has more to do with having more energy when well-rested and being able to handle stress better. I too am usually up at least once to pee, but I've had trouble sleeping for years. If I get 5 hrs of (continuous) sleep I consider myself very lucky.

Brrr - so cold here! Wind chills of -15 (-26C), continuous snow for 3 days now, with no end in sight. Roads are slippery. Such is life in the north. Very happy I don't have an outdoor job! (Honestly, I'd rather have this weather for a bit than live with 90+ degrees for several months!)

Have a great day!
The weather where I am is much the same today. Brrr indeed.

Thx for your input re the sleep interruptions & peeing..... I have noticed some changes with my bladder as I've gotten older, and wondered whether my age is somehow impacting this situation more than for younger folks. I rarely have a night where I'm not up 3x. While I could discuss it with my Dr., there's not much apart from a prescription she can do for me... (maybe kegals...) and the nighttime interruptions definitely became more frequent with the increased drinking of water. That's not going to change as long as I'm dieting. And in fact, I want to keep the 'drink more water' habit during maintenance too. I feel good, and not particularly tired, etc., so I don't think I'll worry about it. At least until I get into maintenance, and can see how things proceed then.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #455  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

About 3x a night for me too... As long as I can fall right back to sleep, it's no big deal. I don't buy the idea of needing uninterrupted sleep to stay in ketosis. I was in ketosis for a very long time in phase 1, even with getting up 3x each night.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #456  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
I certainly DO NOT believe that you need 6 hours of sleep to stay in ketosis. My metallic mouth tells me differently! Gonna google this info. Considering all of our weight losses I doubt that it has made much of a difference! Yes, I'm up a couple of times a night to pee as well.

I had to laugh when I read this! We discuss menstrual cycles, constipation, mamograms etc so freely!!!!! gotta love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
About 3x a night for me too... As long as I can fall right back to sleep, it's no big deal. I don't buy the idea of needing uninterrupted sleep to stay in ketosis. I was in ketosis for a very long time in phase 1, even with getting up 3x each night.
LOL - thanks ladies! Yes - nothing is sacred here. You've all put my mind at ease. As I said above, I was somewhat wondering if I was unusual in this, after this length of time. I did think that it was a strange comment from that person's coach. I see now in that thread that it's been clarified that the coach did say waking up to pee is to be expected. Which again has me wondering what on earth was then meant 'uninterrupted sleep'.... isn't being up to pee 2-3x/night an 'interruption'? LOL.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #457  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post

This has me wondering, because (as long as I drink the required amount of water/day) I still have to get up to pee about 3x/night... if I sleep 8 hrs/night (as I generally do) I can't see where it would ever be possible to have 6 hrs of uninterrupted sleep?
I've never heard this about needing the sleep for Ketosis and I've been learning aobut ketogenic diets for about 10 years. However, uninterrupted sleep is essential for proper cortisol regulation, which is a BIG FACTOR in weight loss.
And, please just let me do it: sometimes coach comments make me go
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #458  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I've never heard this about needing the sleep for Ketosis and I've been learning aobut ketogenic diets for about 10 years. However, uninterrupted sleep is essential for proper cortisol regulation, which is a BIG FACTOR in weight loss.
And, please just let me do it: sometimes coach comments make me go
Exactly.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #459  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Just make sure that the frequent urination is not a diabetes symptom. Doesn't hurt to have your blood sugar checked every so often.

Tried the last of the recipes from this month's Better Homes and Gardens that I thought might be good modified for IP. This one was originally a Tuna/Gnocchi casserole. I really liked it!

Makes two servings:

Saute two cloves of minced garlic, a leek, and two cups of mushroom pieces (can be a mixture of types of mushrooms, I used plain white mushrooms but they suggested shitake and cremini) in 4 tsps of evoo. Cook ~7 minutes. Add 1.5 cups mashed cauliflower and 3 cans of water packed tuna (cheap tuna is fine in this) and one cup water. Add oregano and black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook 7 more minutes. Add to a baking dish (1.5 quart works fine) and sprinkle Old Bay seasoning on top. Bake uncovered at 425 for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, sea salt, chopped green onion and a drizzle of WF Bleu cheese dressing.

If you like the miracle noodles, you could add them to this casserole or serve this casserole over them. Very filling, yummy, phase one compliant.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #460  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I made it through the weekend in the retreat kitchen! Lots of fun, especially watching the boys come back for seconds and thirds. We had very few leftovers. My favorite candies and goodies were everywhere, but I wasn't even tempted. Most of the food we served was prepared by a local chef in his commercial kitchen and all we had to do was heat it up. Even that was a challenge due to the primitive cooking appliances on site. But the food was fantastic! Probably best camp food ever!

Lots to catch up on here. Everyone is doing so well and lots of creativity going on. Congrats Wingnut on 52 weeks! You'll never look at vegetables the same way again.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #461  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Probaby the oldest one here...

Hi all..just joined in the IP forum in the last 10 days. Reading your posts is great...can identify with everyone and have an idiocynracy or two of my own to muss about and probably post for some laughs or input as time goes by.
I will be 65 in August. Was thin most of my young life...started gaining in middle age after hypo thyroid diagnosis and a switch to a fast paced high stress career. Retired for a few years now, but weight from the last 15 years seems to have me "stuck in the middle".. literally and figuratively. I learned about IP on a recent trip to Tx seeing living proof of a health professional who had lost a LOT and looked great. (My daughter's newborn's pediatric nurse practioner). This whole thing makes sense to me...and although I started out with a slow response because of being sick...I feel like it should work...and I feel like inches are dissolving. Reckoning with the fact.. loss will be slower than a younger person. I only lost 2.2 lbs the first week. second weigh in in a few days. I like what I read here...and am thinking I should reward myself with one of those bead charm bracelets...a bead for each mini goal.........and a spacer for each halfway mark.....

Best day to all of you!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #462  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

WELCOME 65X65!!! Good to have you join us. Check in often, be sure to look at the recipe threads for some great ideas, and post...those that post frequently seem to do better than those that don't. RE: your slow start...being sick def might have something to do with that, but also we mature people seem to lose slower, and those that don't have a 'lot' to lose also lose slower.

Congratulations on your new grandchild!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #463  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Thanks greeniris..I think this thread will be my home.

A sinus infection and being on antibiotics seems to be a theme for the present as I see on some of the other threads many are suffering from similar ills at the moment.. Also seeing that combination does impact weight loss because inflammation and normal body response to hold on to fluid during the getting well process is part of it all. Today though... I feel a lot of wiggle room in my slacks...!! I did loose inches last week...and if I continue to do that the pounds will hopefully follow. I am perpetually COLD though since I started this diet...of course it is well below freezing here on the east coast...and I am dressed appropriately...but feel cold and chilly esp if I stop moving. I thought fat burning would make me warm!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #464  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
I made it through the weekend in the retreat kitchen! Lots of fun, especially watching the boys come back for seconds and thirds. We had very few leftovers. My favorite candies and goodies were everywhere, but I wasn't even tempted. Most of the food we served was prepared by a local chef in his commercial kitchen and all we had to do was heat it up. Even that was a challenge due to the primitive cooking appliances on site. But the food was fantastic! Probably best camp food ever!

Lots to catch up on here. Everyone is doing so well and lots of creativity going on. Congrats Wingnut on 52 weeks! You'll never look at vegetables the same way again.
Your weekend sounds like fun. And definitely a change of pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Hi all..just joined in the IP forum in the last 10 days. Reading your posts is great...can identify with everyone and have an idiocynracy or two of my own to muss about and probably post for some laughs or input as time goes by.
I will be 65 in August. Was thin most of my young life...started gaining in middle age after hypo thyroid diagnosis and a switch to a fast paced high stress career. Retired for a few years now, but weight from the last 15 years seems to have me "stuck in the middle".. literally and figuratively. I learned about IP on a recent trip to Tx seeing living proof of a health professional who had lost a LOT and looked great. (My daughter's newborn's pediatric nurse practioner). This whole thing makes sense to me...and although I started out with a slow response because of being sick...I feel like it should work...and I feel like inches are dissolving. Reckoning with the fact.. loss will be slower than a younger person. I only lost 2.2 lbs the first week. second weigh in in a few days. I like what I read here...and am thinking I should reward myself with one of those bead charm bracelets...a bead for each mini goal.........and a spacer for each halfway mark.....

Best day to all of you!
Welcome! Congratulations on the new grandbaby. Sounds like you're an 'Apple' shape? Is that what you meant by weight being 'stuck in the middle'?.... if so, that's exactly like me. Camoflauged big time with loose sweaters, overshirts, etc? It's been so exciting to see a waist being defined again.

Hang out here and on the other threads and come here often. I doubt very much that I'd have stuck with the diet without the support and encouragement here... just reading of others' ups and downs somehow kept me on track. We are all here for each other, and as you've already no doubt noticed no subject is banned.

Sorry to hear that you've been sick. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #465  

S/C/G: 274/212/190

Height: 5ft 3in

I'm with you on the weather up here. You can always put more on and only take so much off ( in public).
Closed Thread