Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #271  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie63 View Post
I've seen the show here and there - but I don't think it's realistic - you're not going to spend 6 - 8 hours in the real world excercizing - I wonder if the ones who've gotten voted off to lose the weight at home have a better track record of keeping it off becuase they've had to learn how to juggle everything.
I wondered the same thing too. I used to think "what is wrong with me because I cannot lose as fast as them?" Then I found out how much they worked out. For $25,000 you can go to the ranch as well. 25K will buy me a lot of IP.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #272  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Default Hmmm..

I'm just wondering - does anyone know? (sounds like a poem, don't you think so?)

Actually, wondering - hypothetical question here - but is it the same to maintain say 100 lbs lost as it is to maintain say 150 lbs lost? If someone looses 100 lbs and gets to 175 end weight, or the same person looses 150 lbs to get to 175 end weight, is it the same or harder to maintain that loss? It seems like it wouldn't be any different to me - but - thought I'd ask.

I hear there are fat cells that never go away once they are there - they just empty out but stay. Not sure if that's 100% true or not (haven't counted fat cells recently or read up on it). People talk about having a harder time maintaining at lower weights and it made me go hmmmm.... I get that someone smaller takes less calories a day to stay the same than a larger body and physical activity and such play into that and metabolism. Just was curious about the question on total loss above.

Last edited by Halfagain; 01-08-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #273  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh no!!! Found our thread on page 2 - totally unacceptable!

Halfagain - I would think, if all else was equal, it's the weight you're trying to maintain that matters - not how much you've lost. People's metabolism varies quite a bit, so you can't really compare any two people, so I don't think you could really test this theory.

I have heard the thing about fat cells too - not sure if its real science or just a theory.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #274  

S/C/G: 206/186/160

Height: 5"2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
Happy Birthday Lynnie!

Had my WI today - down 4.2 pounds, yay! This was an almost 2 week weigh in, since both Christmas and New Years both fell on a Tuesday, I last weighed in on December 27. Still, happy to see the scales move! : )
Yea Allison 4.2 is great, your doing things right, good for you!

And Halfagain, I don't think it is any easier or harder to maintain weight, it's just like losing it some are a little faster and some are a little slower and of corse it matters what you eat, and you are really doing an awesome job! And we will be all doing it together, we have a lot to learn still don't we. We got this!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #275  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Nice job, Alison!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #276  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
I'm just wondering - does anyone know? (sounds like a poem, don't you think so?)

Actually, wondering - hypothetical question here - but is it the same to maintain say 100 lbs lost as it is to maintain say 150 lbs lost? If someone looses 100 lbs and gets to 175 end weight, or the same person looses 150 lbs to get to 175 end weight, is it the same or harder to maintain that loss? It seems like it wouldn't be any different to me - but - thought I'd ask.

I hear there are fat cells that never go away once they are there - they just empty out but stay. Not sure if that's 100% true or not (haven't counted fat cells recently or read up on it). People talk about having a harder time maintaining at lower weights and it made me go hmmmm.... I get that someone smaller takes less calories a day to stay the same than a larger body and physical activity and such play into that and metabolism. Just was curious about the question on total loss above.
Well, I lost 100 and got to that 175.
Maintenance is hard. I think it's harder than losing weight. See me? I can lose weight. I've never, ever maintained. I don't think it's ant harder or easier if you lose 100 or 150 to get to that 175. Staying there is a daily commitment, either way.
All you have to do is check out 5 year success statistics with any program. Just of the people who actually achieved their goal. Stats aren't good. Maintenance support is a HUGE need!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #277  
6/26/12 start 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Oh no!!! Found our thread on page 2 - totally unacceptable!

Halfagain - I would think, if all else was equal, it's the weight you're trying to maintain that matters - not how much you've lost. People's metabolism varies quite a bit, so you can't really compare any two people, so I don't think you could really test this theory.

I have heard the thing about fat cells too - not sure if its real science or just a theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesmyqueen View Post
Yea Allison 4.2 is great, your doing things right, good for you!

And Halfagain, I don't think it is any easier or harder to maintain weight, it's just like losing it some are a little faster and some are a little slower and of corse it matters what you eat, and you are really doing an awesome job! And we will be all doing it together, we have a lot to learn still don't we. We got this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Well, I lost 100 and got to that 175.
Maintenance is hard. I think it's harder than losing weight. See me? I can lose weight. I've never, ever maintained. I don't think it's ant harder or easier if you lose 100 or 150 to get to that 175. Staying there is a daily commitment, either way.
All you have to do is check out 5 year success statistics with any program. Just of the people who actually achieved their goal. Stats aren't good. Maintenance support is a HUGE need!
Well thanks all - nothing scientific of course just what we're thinking (and that's all I really was asking). I guess that's what I have always thought too - if I am going to maintain say 250, 225,190, or 175 weight - the only difference is really that I need/get less calories to maintain the lower weight versus the higher weight. Thus - "easier" to maintain but still a big undertaking regardless. I know "duh moment" for me - but still I hear people talking about how maintaining some lower number is more difficult. The newer on line models of goal planning go with a higher goal for someone who's started out heavier. If I use one of those goal planners and say I started at 355, it tells me my goal should be 235. If I tell it I weigh 250 to start, it says my goal should be 190. Thus my hmmmm moment about why it's saying this based on my starting weight.

Bottom line is - what makes me happy for my end goal and not based off some on line goal planner or BMI chart. It just got me thinking is all.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #278  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Good for you! I'm gonna take scuba lessons and go to Grand Cayman in March for mine!
Now that's a celebration I can relate to!! Have a wonderful time, and feel free to shoot me any questions about Cayman or getting certified.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #279  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
If I use one of those goal planners and say I started at 355, it tells me my goal should be 235. If I tell it I weigh 250 to start, it says my goal should be 190. Thus my hmmmm moment about why it's saying this based on my starting weight.
I wonder if the calculator is taking into account the extra skin that you can't diet off. With one of the starting weights higher by more than 100 lbs, the heavier dieter should retain a lot more skin. I think WUV said something about her doctor estimated she had 40 lbs of excess skin.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #280  
6/26/12 start 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
I wonder if the calculator is taking into account the extra skin that you can't diet off. With one of the starting weights higher by more than 100 lbs, the heavier dieter should retain a lot more skin. I think WUV said something about her doctor estimated she had 40 lbs of excess skin.
I suppose it may, as it asks for age as well. I wonder if I told it I was in my 20's if it would give me different goals too, based on the idea that younger people (again hearsay - I don't know the facts/truth behind it) absorb the extra skin better than older people. Not that I can change any of these things - my weight was what it was along with my age..... an on line goal weight calculator does not define me. LOL - you all knew I was smarter than that! It just got me wondering,why it says that.

Oh I hope the Nashua box comes today. I've used some nasty Atkins Day Break bars, which are too high in fat (and don't taste that good either) while I wait for the Nashua order. It takes a full week to get to me. I had them laying around from before I saw the fat percentage.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #281  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

HalfAgain's question got me thinking, and I started googling... which lead me to the website link below. There's an interesting article there about why it's so hard to maintain a weight loss, and the author talks about the role of leptin. Interesting, if a bit depressing.
http://www.drsharma.ca/obesitywhy-is...dy-weight.html
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #282  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
HalfAgain's question got me thinking, and I started googling... which lead me to the website link below. There's an interesting article there about why it's so hard to maintain a weight loss, and the author talks about the role of leptin. Interesting, if a bit depressing.
Checked out the link evepet. It IS depressing, but sounds like taking a Leptin supplement may help in maintenance. Need to do more research (not my fav thing).

Hi all! Yesterday I posted on the maintainers thread about the horrid hot flashes/night sweats I've been having. Any suggestions for OTC products to help? I looked up melatonin; they say it helps with other menopausal symptoms, but not the flashes. Seems like I read up on black cohosh quite a while back and didn't like the potential side effects (or maybe I did take it for a while and had some side effects...don't remember. Hmmm, maybe should take the melatonin for the MEMORY problem associated with menopause! LOL) Anyway, it's the night sweats that are really getting to me...3 to 4 a night, waking up drenched, sheets are wet, & VIP moving as far away from me as possible. Then at other times my skin is so hot (not sweating), yet I'm chilled to the bone! ARGGG...sometimes being female is absolutely NO FUN!

edit - I did take HRT for about 12 years, ending a couple years ago. My doc was after me to stop taking it for a few years before I finally did, so can't go back to the prescription meds...

Last edited by greeniris; 01-09-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #283  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Thanks for looking this up - it doesn't depress me because leptin is available for purchase as a supplement, so we could always just take it. I personally think that I could stay on phase one pretty much forever if that is what I had to do. I am far less hungry eating this way than I was when I was eating 5x as much food!

NSV - I am a diabetic and was able to stop taking any diabetic medication after about 20 days on this diet. Recently I have had a cold, so I was checking my blood sugar because typically when you are sick and a diabetic, your blood sugar spikes. Guess what it was - only 88! That is practically a fasting blood sugar of a non-diabetic! Just so grateful for this diet and all of you!

Thank you for the support on my recent weigh in, I appreciate it!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #284  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]

Hi all! Yesterday I posted on the maintainers thread about the horrid hot flashes/night sweats I've been having. Any suggestions for OTC products to help? I looked up melatonin; they say it helps with other menopausal symptoms, but not the flashes. Seems like I read up on black cohosh quite a while back and didn't like the potential side effects (or maybe I did take it for a while and had some side effects...don't remember. Hmmm, maybe should take the melatonin for the MEMORY problem associated with menopause! LOL) Anyway, it's the night sweats that are really getting to me...3 to 4 a night, waking up drenched, sheets are wet, & VIP moving as far away from me as possible. Then at other times my skin is so hot (not sweating), yet I'm chilled to the bone! ARGGG...sometimes being female in absolutely NO FUN!
I don't have any ideas for hot flashes, but your post made me remember a question I wanted to ask. Earlier today, I was reading the thread about hormonal changes when on IP, and the fact that people were being encouraged to not rely on the pill being effective while on the diet. It made me wonder about hormonal impacts/effects for those of us who are menopausal. I too, have been having chills. (Thank goodness we're having a milder winter than normal so far!!)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #285  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
I don't have any ideas for hot flashes, but your post made me remember a question I wanted to ask. Earlier today, I was reading the thread about hormonal changes when on IP, and the fact that people were being encouraged to not rely on the pill being effective while on the diet. It made me wonder about hormonal impacts/effects for those of us who are menopausal. I too, have been having chills. (Thank goodness we're having a milder winter than normal so far!!)
I'll be 62 next month, and hadn't had hot flashes or related sweats/chills for more than 10 years. Suddenly I started getting some over the past months, while dieting. Thank goodness mine haven't been too bad - in fact I haven't had any now in a while again - but they did reappear to some extent. It took me a while to realize what was happening.
Closed Thread