Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #181  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
I clicked your link. I don't have the software they require to stream, it just flips to download or they want me to download some "player" software to be able to stream. With your comments (bolded above), I'm afraid to do anything. I have good anti-virus software, but don't like to get near "bad" sites. A few weeks ago, I got a "hitchhicker" and took all evening to get rid of it. Ant-virus doesn't catch those.

Unless you have some more specific info, I'll just wait for Rainbow to send her DVDs.

Molly
It takes awhile to get used to the site, but most links allow you to just click on the play button on the lower left of the viewing screen. You don't have to download any of their players... that's just a scam to get tracking info on your computer. When I found out about the site, I Googled "Is Project Free TV safe?", and I followed the advice in links I received. I don't blame you for wanting to be careful, but I've been using the site for about 6 months and haven't had any problems.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #182  

NSV NSV -well my stitches are out, I have my driving privileges back and I went to my first PT appts at my fav center yesterday. I have been going to this PT center for over a year in this long journey to wellness. I walked in yesterday and the PTs and their assistants kept coming up to me to tell me how great I looked and what had I done to lose weight. Made me feel so good!!!! Also, WOW PT is so much easier when you weigh 52 lbs less! OMG
Continuing to learn life's lessons and lovin IP
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #183  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
greeniris....i saw a commercial the other day, only caught the end part so i can't remember what product it was endorsing but a husband was eating a doughnut...and the lady GRABS IT AND CRUMBLES IT INTO A MILLION TINY PIECES....hahaha you should do that to the pie!! hahahahah
LOL - well, the pie is now gone, so I don't have to go to that extreme. Hey Susan, I'm not a great experimenter in the kitchen, but have been wondering if the soft or silken tofu can be used to make sauces similiar to what LizRR has done with the lobster mac & cheese recipe. Any insights there? I've only used tofu in a couple of recipes so not sure about 'free-lancing' with it. Does it 'melt' & get creamy when heated? Thanks for any advise on how to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I can commisserate with you. After last Friday's first 'fun day' I was able to shed the 2-3 lbs I put on by going very low carb the next day. But the minute I eat more carby or sugary things, the weight shoots back up again. I feel like I'm on a 'maintenance day' vs. 'P1 day' rollercoaster. My WI this am put me back at 159lbs. There's no way I'm going over 160lbs, and 159lbs makes me very uncomfortable. This is another reason that I've rethought things and lowered my goal weight. I'm going to return to P1 and stay with it until I get down to 145lbs. Then when I rephase out and go into maintenance again, my upper limit will be 150lbs. Those added lbs that are a natural result of our glycogen stores being resupplied won't bother me so much if I'm at 145lbs as my starting point.

I'm also finding it really hard to have any sweet snacky type stuff in the house. It's just too tempting. I've never been the type who can have a box of chocolates, or some other sweet that I really like, and just savor a piece or two per day. I keep nibbling away at it until it's all gone. I bought a bar of Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate on Monday, thinking maybe I could just enjoy ONE square as a treat and leave the rest alone. (Who did I think I was kidding?!...Of course not! ) That bar is gone now, and I'm not buying another until I phase out and return to maintenance again at 145lbs.

Hope all goes well with your Mom's surgery.
I've been wondering if I should shoot for a lower goal weight before going back to maintenance. I originally had 135 as my goal, then raised it to 140, which I did achieve. But when thinking about a 'comfort' range I don't want to go over 142. I may shoot for 138 before going back to maintenance. IDK - feel so wishy-washy about it. Guess I'm going to play it by ear for the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Actually you are doing very well considering that you started maintenance around the holiday season. I gained 5 pounds right when I went to maintenance in May. I didn't get that off and now have 5 more from the holidays. So excellent plan to get on phase 1 again and get rid of that first 5.
That is what maintenance is all about. working to keep that first few pounds of regain under control.
You will be fine!
Thank you patns! So glad the holidays are over so it will be easier to get into a regular routine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
So I'm one pound from my goal of 135, but hearing you ladies talk and from the gizmo at the fitness center and all the calculators that have been circulating, I think I need to lower it to 132. That way, 135 could be my top range number. The gizmo thinks I should be 130, but I know my home scale is 2 pounds higher than the fitness center, so 132 should be sufficient. But I won't be changing my ticker until I hit 135. I want to see that number!
Fishette - you're doing great!

Quote:
For me, I think the best strategy is just keeping them out of the house. I'll allow myself chocolate and other sweets as a treat but it doesn't work for me to keep a supply on hand. Even if I freeze whatever the item is (if it's freezable) it's too easy to defrost it. LOL. So - in future once I'm at 145lbs and rephasing out and going through maintenance again - I'll buy (or bake) just a small size of whatever 'sweet' I'm contemplating, so there aren't too many leftover servings around to tempt me. Or if I'm just cooking/baking for myself, a single serving if it's doable.
Me too evepet...no sweets in the house is my best strategy. Even in the freezer isn't a good idea. Maybe once I've been maintaining well for a few months it will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
Hi ladies, thanks for all the great info over the past couple of days! I love hearing about people who are in maintenance, it helps me mentally prepare for when I get there! I am a little afraid of the "fun day", which I envision right now as being me going wild from sun up to sun down, LOL!

Quick question - I am getting a cold, and I wondered if anyone has any good advice other than "suck it up, sister!" I do not want to eat off program foods or additional food, but has anyone had any success with anything else, like taking extra vitamin C or switching all of your packets to soups, etc? Making a grocery run today for kleenex and veggies and then hunkering down for the weekend!
AlisonS - my recommendation is to really plan your meals in maintenance - all of them - ahead of time. If you're like me, my suppers before IP always consisted of protein, carbs, AND fats, so I have to completely revamp those meals that I used to be able to prepare in my sleep. Lunches used to be leftovers from supper the night before (protein, carbs AND fats). No can do that now. Also, my recommendation for your 'free day' is to make it a 'free meal' rather than a whole day, at least in the beginning, until you learn how your system is going to respond. Might save you some grief...
RE: your cold - chicken veggie soup & LOTS of water. Hope it doesn't last long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
NSV NSV -well my stitches are out, I have my driving privileges back and I went to my first PT appts at my fav center yesterday. I have been going to this PT center for over a year in this long journey to wellness. I walked in yesterday and the PTs and their assistants kept coming up to me to tell me how great I looked and what had I done to lose weight. Made me feel so good!!!! Also, WOW PT is so much easier when you weigh 52 lbs less! OMG
Great NSVs all around! Can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to drive for an extended period of time. Good luck with the PT!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #184  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Congrats!!! That's terrific!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #185  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
How wonderful, maezy! So happy for you!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #186  
IP started 12/28/12

S/C/G: 244.2/196.2/145

Height: 5'5"

Hey, I'm back. I wasn't on top of my game for a couple of days. Kind of listless. I'm back now and down 6.5 lbs. this week.

Does anyone know of a good IP friendly coffee creamer substitute? I've been using the pre-made vanilla drink but I'm not thrilled about it. I was thinking of trying the dried mix to see if I like that better. Or, even pudding.

Let me know what y'all have used and like.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #187  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
Hi ladies, thanks for all the great info over the past couple of days! I love hearing about people who are in maintenance, it helps me mentally prepare for when I get there! I am a little afraid of the "fun day", which I envision right now as being me going wild from sun up to sun down, LOL!

Quick question - I am getting a cold, and I wondered if anyone has any good advice other than "suck it up, sister!" I do not want to eat off program foods or additional food, but has anyone had any success with anything else, like taking extra vitamin C or switching all of your packets to soups, etc? Making a grocery run today for kleenex and veggies and then hunkering down for the weekend!

Have a great day! TGIF!!
I lived on soup and veggies for about a week. I had some chicken noodle soup packets available, which really helped during the first few days of the 'bug'. I also steamed cauliflower, zucchini, celery, etc., and blended it in my pea and cream of chicken soups along with some spices (I like curry and a dash of cayenne pepper) and dehydrated onion flakes. The first few days were rough and I had no appetite at all, so I used extra soup packets through the day to get the nutrition in. Also, I felt so rough that I couldn't be bothered with much food prep, so soups were just so much easier to get ready. I also (thankfully) had bags of frozen veggies in the freezer, and that came in handy too.

I purposely googled the nutritional values of all the veggies I had on hand to see what would provide an extra natural Vit C boost. Found that jicama, peppers, and broccoli all had high levels and made sure I included them daily to naturally boost my Vit C levels. I also put a True Lemon packet (pure crystallized lemon crystals - 0 sugar/carb/fat) in each bottle of water that I drank - and I made sure to drink lots and lots of water. Fresh juiced lemon or lime juice would be just as good or even better, but I didn't have any available. Also drank lots of hot tea. Celestial Seasonings Bengal Tiger is my new favorite.

I have a zinc supplement too, and made sure I took that daily.

I've used a neti pot off and on for nasal congestion, allergies, etc., for years now. I used it daily when I was sick to help clear the nasal passages, and flush the germs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
At our house, first sign of a sniffle or a scratchy throat, DH chops 2 raw garlic cloves which are then swallowed like a pill. For my cold, I made chicken soup by roasting a whole chicken (could buy rotisserie) & using the carcass to make the broth (bone broth is super healthy). For veggies: bok choy & celery (leaves & all!) garlic and leeks. I used the broth & veggies in my IP soups, too. Get some herbal tea. I like Tazo "Refresh" and Republic of Tea decaf Ginger Peach. I also drank a tea concoction of ginger root and lemon. And yes, i upped my timed release C and also upped my D3 to 10K iu. My worse symptoms were only 2-3 days but it seems EVERYONE is getting a version of this! I used more drinks (orange, pink lemonade) just to get the packets in, too.

I got mine right before Christmas and stayed AWAY from others so they wouldn't get sick. Hubby ended up with a milder form...
Your soup sounds delicious.

Quote:
So glad to hear that your day went well. Stitches out; driving privileges back; and PT underway. That was a great NSV you got too, from the gals at the PT place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I've been wondering if I should shoot for a lower goal weight before going back to maintenance. I originally had 135 as my goal, then raised it to 140, which I did achieve. But when thinking about a 'comfort' range I don't want to go over 142. I may shoot for 138 before going back to maintenance. IDK - feel so wishy-washy about it. Guess I'm going to play it by ear for the next week.

Me too evepet...no sweets in the house is my best strategy. Even in the freezer isn't a good idea. Maybe once I've been maintaining well for a few months it will be different.

Great NSVs all around! Can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to drive for an extended period of time. Good luck with the PT!
I felt really wishy-washy about whether to drop my goal weight for a while too. In maintenance, it really was nice to be able to have the extra allowed food groups again. But then I very quickly proved to myself how hard it is for me to stay close to my goal weight of 155lbs... it seemed that once I ate anything with carbs and/or sugar in it I'd swing back up to 158-159lbs. There's no way I want to creep back over 160lbs, and seeing that 159lbs on the scale as often as I have been was making me very uncomfortable. I was being quite maintenance-compliant, so I know it's the natural result of adding back in some carbs and sugars again, even in moderation. So finally I realized that what I really needed to do was drop my goal weight. At my height there's certainly no reason not to go down to 145lbs. If I'm being honest with myself I know that it was frustration with my overall slow weight loss through this process (and the eventual stalls) that were getting to me, and resulted in my decision to phase out at 155lbs. Now that I've decided to go for a lower goal weight, I feel good about it. It was hard for a few days to decide to give up the freedom of maintenance, but in the long run I'll be happier.

Re sweets, etc.... Like you, I'd love to think that once I'm back into maintenance and have been for a few months, that I'll be able to keep things like this in the house without indulging more than I should.... but time will tell.

------

I'm back on P1 today, and so far so good. Had cappuccino protein shake, blended into my decaf coffee for breakfast; and I'm planning on having a low carb waffle and side salad of peppers/celery/zucchini/radishes for lunch. Dinner will be pork loin chops with broccoli and rutabaga. Before bed snack will be a warmed up Chocolate Truffle protein shake. And lots and lots of water.

Cheers everyone - hope you all have a good day.

Last edited by evepet; 01-04-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #188  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
... I've been wondering if I should shoot for a lower goal weight before going back to maintenance. I originally had 135 as my goal, then raised it to 140, which I did achieve. But when thinking about a 'comfort' range I don't want to go over 142. I may shoot for 138 before going back to maintenance. IDK - feel so wishy-washy about it. Guess I'm going to play it by ear for the next week...

I gave this some thought too, but finally decided to work on maintaining where I am at for a while. I can always go back and lose more later, but I am most concerned about maintaing a healthy weight. I could lose more, but I feel like I am at a healthy weight now.

If I lose more weight, my calorie requirement in maintenance will be lower, and I don't feel ready for that yet. Right now, I am maintaining pretty well with 1650 - 1700 calories average daily. Not sure I'm willing to even give up 50 - 100 of those calories - I'm enjoying it too much after 4+ months of phase 1!! Heck, that could mean giving up one of my granny smith apples that I enjoy snacking on! Or a cheese stick or small dinner roll!

Yes, I'm probably rationalizing, but no matter how you look at it, I'm WAYYYY better off that when I was over 200 pounds. (And I won't be wearing a bikini anytime soon!)

Last edited by Lizzy63; 01-04-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #189  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbf View Post
Hey, I'm back. I wasn't on top of my game for a couple of days. Kind of listless. I'm back now and down 6.5 lbs. this week.

Does anyone know of a good IP friendly coffee creamer substitute? I've been using the pre-made vanilla drink but I'm not thrilled about it. I was thinking of trying the dried mix to see if I like that better. Or, even pudding.

Hi Karen, I finally gave up on finding one I liked. I hated to open a vanilla drink and leave it sitting open in the fridge for several days while I used it in coffee. I went to black coffee - which wasn't all that great. Then I found sugar free syrups and I use them sparingly. I have hazelnut and gingerbread.... both make vanilla shakes a bit new again too. I have about two cups of coffee a day. It has made my coffee a treat again for me anyway, even though I never was someone who put sweetener in my coffee before.

My tastes have definitely changed over the months on IP. Some things I didn't like at all at first I do like now, and other things I did like at first, I don't like now.

Last edited by Halfagain; 01-04-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #190  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:

I'm back on P1 today, and so far so good. Had cappuccino protein shake, blended into my decaf coffee for breakfast; and I'm planning on having a low carb waffle and side salad of peppers/celery/zucchini/radishes for lunch. Dinner will be pork loin chops with broccoli and rutabaga. Before bed snack will be a warmed up Chocolate Truffle protein shake. And lots and lots of water.

Cheers everyone - hope you all have a good day.
Good luck, and menu sounds good.

Quote:
Congrats on getting the stitches out, and yes losing that much weight sure does make our bodies happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
LOL!! There has been one piece (albeit diminishing in size!) of chocolate lava cake from my DH's dessert on NYE. He ate half that night, and has been eating it little by little since then and I *finally* noticed the empty container in the trash this morning! And yes, needless to say, he doesn't have a weight problem! I'm guess I'm lucky in a way that my cravings really aren't for chocolate and sugar. I'm missing having red wine with dinner more than anything, but I realize that really contributed to my gaining the weight in the first place (along with things like chips, crackers, cheese and nuts and ....).
Well that darn piece of pie was still sitting in the fridge last night, so I finally took out, handed it my husband with some whip cream on it and said, "EAT THIS NOW!"

I'm back from the doctor and he wants to run my blood test one more time since my low thyroid was boarder line. He did say if it's boarder line now it will most likely continue to decline as I get older, so if it's still on the low side when the next test comes back he will put me on medication. Also some potential kidney problems, but he can't seem to find a reason for that. He said that just might have been a fluke on the last blood test, so will have to see what the next test says. I just love getting older - NOT!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #191  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
LOL - well, the pie is now gone, so I don't have to go to that extreme. Hey Susan, I'm not a great experimenter in the kitchen, but have been wondering if the soft or silken tofu can be used to make sauces similiar to what LizRR has done with the lobster mac & cheese recipe. Any insights there? I've only used tofu in a couple of recipes so not sure about 'free-lancing' with it. Does it 'melt' & get creamy when heated? Thanks for any advise on how to use it.
i only used it that one time for the chocolate pots...and i wasn't a fan of tofu so gave up any ideas of using it again. it did however melt into the chocolate pudding consistency. sorry i am not much help.

Quote:
so glad you are on the mend!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Hi Karen, I finally gave up on finding one I liked. I hated to open a vanilla drink and leave it sitting open in the fridge for several days while I used it in coffee. I went to black coffee - which wasn't all that great. Then I found sugar free syrups and I use them sparingly. I have hazelnut and gingerbread.... both make vanilla shakes a bit new again too. I have about two cups of coffee a day. It has made my coffee a treat again for me anyway, even though I never was someone who put sweetener in my coffee before.

My tastes have definitely changed over the months on IP. Some things I didn't like at all at first I do like now, and other things I did like at first, I don't like now.
barb...got my simply bars in....tried the lemon coconut...not a fan! haha i didn't realize they were like rice crispy treats which i do not like! haha interested in any trades??

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbf View Post

i use the EAS vanilla shake
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #192  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

this "crud" is really kickin' my butt-er! slept most of the day...truly weak and lethargic and the massive headache from the sinus pressure is a real downer! still able to cough up goop so at least it not settling in my lungs. i have a rather suppressed immune and can often be too susceptible to pneumonia. heres to good health on the rise!

hope everyone is having a great new years so far!

hugs
susan
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #193  

Quote:
this "crud" is really kickin' my butt-er! slept most of the day...truly weak and lethargic and the massive headache from the sinus pressure is a real downer! still able to cough up goop so at least it not settling in my lungs. i have a rather suppressed immune and can often be too susceptible to pneumonia. heres to good health on the rise!

hugs
susan
Oh Susan!! you have to get feeling better! so many people have that crud and everyone says its taking a while to get over it. RAINBOW needs her color back!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #194  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

hugs
susan
Sending the positive vibes, get well soon Susan!

I changed my before photo to one of me in a shawl and sweater I knit. The sweater I spun the wool as well before knitting. The after shot is my winnings from the casino - net winnings that is. Pretty cool to walk out a winner.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #195  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:

hugs
susan
Sorry to hear you're not feeling better yet. Hang in there and keep hydrated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Sending the positive vibes, get well soon Susan!

I changed my before photo to one of me in a shawl and sweater I knit. The sweater I spun the wool as well before knitting. The after shot is my winnings from the casino - net winnings that is. Pretty cool to walk out a winner.
Look at you, what a great before and after!
Closed Thread