Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #166  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

greeniris....i saw a commercial the other day, only caught the end part so i can't remember what product it was endorsing but a husband was eating a doughnut...and the lady GRABS IT AND CRUMBLES IT INTO A MILLION TINY PIECES....hahaha you should do that to the pie!! hahahahah
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #167  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Good afternoon! Wow - so many great posts & results the last few days! Congrats to all that have lost over the holidays! Hope those of you that are sick begin to feel better quickly. Dana, glad to have you back with us. You were missed. Welcome to our newcomers too!

I've been lurking recently...been very upset with myself and didn't want to post whiny stuff when everyone else has been doing so well. Went to my clinic this morning for the first time since starting maintenance...am up 5 lbs. in 4 weeks. My coach said this is completely normal, and to go back to P1 for a few days. My difficulty is that I am CRAVING sugar like crazy! Feels almost like I'm binging at times and just can't seem to stop myself. Had VIP take the rest of the cookies to work this morning, but there is still some pumpkin pie in the fridge. Need to get back to some of my exercises at home(stopped when I got sick about 3 weeks ago). The gym has to wait until my sprained knee is better. Things will get better, but this is a real struggle for me right now.

My mom is having major surgery next Thursday, so I will be at the hospital with them & my sister all day. Will plan my food for that day carefully and be well prepared.

Back to work now - lunch is over. Have a great rest of the day!
Hope the surgery goes well for your mom next week, and I think your coach is right about the 5 pounds; it's to be expected. Your glycogen storage is filling up again because you are no longer keeping your carbs so low, and most likely most of that gain is just water. I bet phase 1 for a few days will do the trick. I do hear you on the sugar craving though. There is one peice of pumpkin pie sitting in our refrigerator, and I told my husband last night to just eat it already. Still sitting there. No wonder he has never had a weight issue.

Susan, hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Day 3 of my reboot and doing well. For some reason this time I'm not that hungry which has made the first 3 days easier. I guess my body is just use to it after all this time. I have to go in tomorrow and talk to my doctor regarding the blood test I took last week as part of my well visit. Something came back regarding my thyroid and kidneys. Maybe I can finally blame my weight problems on my thyroid. Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #168  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Okay, Rainbow or any other Downton Abbey fans

For those of us that are just starting at the beginning of Downton Abbey, is there any place to watch from the beginning without spending a fortune. Since retirement, I have a bit of extra time.

Thanks, Molly
If you haven't found all seasons yet, try this:

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/i...downton_abbey/

There are tons of shows (and movies) on this site that I wasn't able to watch before because I only have basic cable. Just be sure your virus software is up to date, and steam don't download.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #169  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Good afternoon! Wow - so many great posts & results the last few days! Congrats to all that have lost over the holidays! Hope those of you that are sick begin to feel better quickly. Dana, glad to have you back with us. You were missed. Welcome to our newcomers too!

I've been lurking recently...been very upset with myself and didn't want to post whiny stuff when everyone else has been doing so well. Went to my clinic this morning for the first time since starting maintenance...am up 5 lbs. in 4 weeks. My coach said this is completely normal, and to go back to P1 for a few days. My difficulty is that I am CRAVING sugar like crazy! Feels almost like I'm binging at times and just can't seem to stop myself. Had VIP take the rest of the cookies to work this morning, but there is still some pumpkin pie in the fridge. Need to get back to some of my exercises at home(stopped when I got sick about 3 weeks ago). The gym has to wait until my sprained knee is better. Things will get better, but this is a real struggle for me right now.

My mom is having major surgery next Thursday, so I will be at the hospital with them & my sister all day. Will plan my food for that day carefully and be well prepared.

I can commisserate with you. After last Friday's first 'fun day' I was able to shed the 2-3 lbs I put on by going very low carb the next day. But the minute I eat more carby or sugary things, the weight shoots back up again. I feel like I'm on a 'maintenance day' vs. 'P1 day' rollercoaster. My WI this am put me back at 159lbs. There's no way I'm going over 160lbs, and 159lbs makes me very uncomfortable. This is another reason that I've rethought things and lowered my goal weight. I'm going to return to P1 and stay with it until I get down to 145lbs. Then when I rephase out and go into maintenance again, my upper limit will be 150lbs. Those added lbs that are a natural result of our glycogen stores being resupplied won't bother me so much if I'm at 145lbs as my starting point.

I'm also finding it really hard to have any sweet snacky type stuff in the house. It's just too tempting. I've never been the type who can have a box of chocolates, or some other sweet that I really like, and just savor a piece or two per day. I keep nibbling away at it until it's all gone. I bought a bar of Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate on Monday, thinking maybe I could just enjoy ONE square as a treat and leave the rest alone. (Who did I think I was kidding?!...Of course not! ) That bar is gone now, and I'm not buying another until I phase out and return to maintenance again at 145lbs.

My online order from thelowcarbgrocery.com came today, so I'm restocked with protein powders. Plus I have ProtiDiet soups and pancake mixes. So - it's back to P1 tomorrow, for the forseeable future until the scale gives me 145lbs.

Hope all goes well with your Mom's surgery.

Last edited by evepet; 01-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:

Actually you are doing very well considering that you started maintenance around the holiday season. I gained 5 pounds right when I went to maintenance in May. I didn't get that off and now have 5 more from the holidays. So excellent plan to get on phase 1 again and get rid of that first 5.
That is what maintenance is all about. working to keep that first few pounds of regain under control.
You will be fine!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Hope the surgery goes well for your mom next week, and I think your coach is right about the 5 pounds; it's to be expected. Your glycogen storage is filling up again because you are no longer keeping your carbs so low, and most likely most of that gain is just water. I bet phase 1 for a few days will do the trick. I do hear you on the sugar craving though. There is one peice of pumpkin pie sitting in our refrigerator, and I told my husband last night to just eat it already. Still sitting there. No wonder he has never had a weight issue.

Susan, hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Day 3 of my reboot and doing well. For some reason this time I'm not that hungry which has made the first 3 days easier. I guess my body is just use to it after all this time. I have to go in tomorrow and talk to my doctor regarding the blood test I took last week as part of my well visit. Something came back regarding my thyroid and kidneys. Maybe I can finally blame my weight problems on my thyroid. Have a great day everyone.
Dana, I'm glad you aren't too hungry and are doing fine in week 1. For your sake, I hope it is your thyroid simply being inactive since that is an easy problem to fix that has significant benefits for you. I had a thyroid issue that was diagnosed right before I started IP last February and follow up blood work as well to fine-tune dosage of Armour (my thyroid drug). I now have a working thyroid and I think that helped me to not gain more weight during the 4 months I was running wild...I gained around 1 pound/week, which is pretty miraculous since I was drinking wine every night, eating lots of chocolate, plus bread with butter. I credit that rate of gain to a functioning thyroid and reset pancreas. Now back on IP, really doing the best I can to get this weight off and onto the next phase. If you are prescribed thyroid meds, consider Armour over the older versions (i.e.Synthroid) since Armour is a lot easier to take. As I understand it, with Synthroid, you need to have a window of time before and after taking your daily dose where you don't eat - hence some people take it in the middle of the night. With Armour, I only a need a 1 hour window around it, so easier to schedule in. Let us know what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I can commisserate with you. After last Friday's first 'fun day' I was able to shed the 2-3 lbs I put on by going very low carb the next day. But the minute I eat more carby things, the weight shoots back up 2-4lbs again. My WI this am put me at 159lbs. I really don't want to go up over 160lbs, and this is another reason that I'm going to return to P1 very soon and stay with it until I get down to around 145lbs. Those added lbs that are a natural result of our glycogen stores being resupplied won't bother me so much if I'm at a lower weight to start out with.

Plus I'm finding it really hard to have any sweet snacky type stuff in the house. It's just too tempting. I've never been the type who can have a box of chocolates, or some other sweet that I really like, and just savor a piece or two per day. I keep nibbling away at it until it's all gone. I bought a bar of Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate on Monday, thinking maybe I could just enjoy ONE square as a treat and leave the rest alone. (Who did I think I was kidding?!...Of course not! ) That bar is gone now, and I'm not buying another until I return to maintenance again at my new lower goal weight.

My online order from thelowcarbgrocery.com came today, so I'm restocked with protein powders. Plus I have ProtiDiet soups and pancake mixes. So - it's back to P1 tomorrow. And staying with it until I get down to 145lbs.
Evepet,
I am very much like you regarding sweets. I love sugar and at times, when I was off IP, felt a little out of control around all the chocolate we had leftover from Halloween. I can stay away from pastries, cheese, fresh homemade bread and butter (although I don't want to - but its doable), even champagne and wine...but chocolate is so tough...and homemade oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies...

Do you think there is any other strategy other than keeping it out of the house? I would love to be able to just eat it in moderation, but that is tough (obviously ). When I was on Weight Watchers, I would drink Carnation 25 calorie ft free hot chocolate and that was acceptable, more or less, well, maybe more less than more. This is the crux of my lifelong problem.

Last edited by Chloe222; 01-03-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #172  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
If you haven't found all seasons yet, try this:

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/i...downton_abbey/

There are tons of shows (and movies) on this site that I wasn't able to watch before because I only have basic cable. Just be sure your virus software is up to date, and steam don't download.
I clicked your link. I don't have the software they require to stream, it just flips to download or they want me to download some "player" software to be able to stream. With your comments (bolded above), I'm afraid to do anything. I have good anti-virus software, but don't like to get near "bad" sites. A few weeks ago, I got a "hitchhicker" and took all evening to get rid of it. Ant-virus doesn't catch those.

Unless you have some more specific info, I'll just wait for Rainbow to send her DVDs.

Molly
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #173  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Evepet,
I am very much like you regarding sweets. I love sugar and at times, when I was off IP, felt a little out of control around all the chocolate we had leftover from Halloween. I can stay away from pastries, cheese, fresh homemade bread and butter (although I don't want to - but its doable), even champagne and wine...but chocolate is so tough...and homemade oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies...

Do you think there is any other strategy other than keeping it out of the house? I would love to be able to just eat it in moderation, but that is tough (obviously ). When I was on Weight Watchers, I would drink Carnation 25 calorie ft free hot chocolate and that was acceptable, more or less, well, maybe more less than more. This is the crux of my lifelong problem.
For me, I think the best strategy is just keeping them out of the house. I'll allow myself chocolate and other sweets as a treat but it doesn't work for me to keep a supply on hand. Even if I freeze whatever the item is (if it's freezable) it's too easy to defrost it. LOL. So - in future once I'm at 145lbs and rephasing out and going through maintenance again - I'll buy (or bake) just a small size of whatever 'sweet' I'm contemplating, so there aren't too many leftover servings around to tempt me. Or if I'm just cooking/baking for myself, a single serving if it's doable.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #174  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

So I'm one pound from my goal of 135, but hearing you ladies talk and from the gizmo at the fitness center and all the calculators that have been circulating, I think I need to lower it to 132. That way, 135 could be my top range number. The gizmo thinks I should be 130, but I know my home scale is 2 pounds higher than the fitness center, so 132 should be sufficient. But I won't be changing my ticker until I hit 135. I want to see that number!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #175  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
For me, I think the best strategy is just keeping them out of the house. I'll allow myself chocolate and other sweets as a treat but it doesn't work for me to keep a supply on hand. Even if I freeze whatever the item is (if it's freezable) it's too easy to defrost it. LOL. So - in future once I'm at 145lbs and rephasing out and going through maintenance again - I'll buy (or bake) just a small size of whatever 'sweet' I'm contemplating, so there aren't too many leftover servings around to tempt me. Or if I'm just cooking/baking for myself, a single serving if it's doable.
This is going to be my plan also. I can't have these things in my house. I'll probably use chocolate shakes as my go to for chocolate, and then anything special will have to be bought (and only the amount i will eat in one--controlled--sitting. I know myself too well. If it's in the house, it's too much of a temptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
So I'm one pound from my goal of 135, but hearing you ladies talk and from the gizmo at the fitness center and all the calculators that have been circulating, I think I need to lower it to 132. That way, 135 could be my top range number. The gizmo thinks I should be 130, but I know my home scale is 2 pounds higher than the fitness center, so 132 should be sufficient. But I won't be changing my ticker until I hit 135. I want to see that number!
Congrats!!!! You can do it, Fishette! I'm going to lower my goal by at least 10 pounds, but for now, I like seeing just 6 more pounds to go. It's all mental.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
Congrats on being this close to goal, you must feel great! Quite an accomplishment. Going down a few extra pounds now while it's relatively easily doable is smart. Giving yourself a larger range (on the low side) to settle into is a gift to yourself.

We're the same height, my new goal is 135 and I can't wait to see what I'll look like when I get there.

Last edited by Chloe222; 01-03-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #177  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Dana, I'm glad you aren't too hungry and are doing fine in week 1. For your sake, I hope it is your thyroid simply being inactive since that is an easy problem to fix that has significant benefits for you. I had a thyroid issue that was diagnosed right before I started IP last February and follow up blood work as well to fine-tune dosage of Armour (my thyroid drug). I now have a working thyroid and I think that helped me to not gain more weight during the 4 months I was running wild...I gained around 1 pound/week, which is pretty miraculous since I was drinking wine every night, eating lots of chocolate, plus bread with butter. I credit that rate of gain to a functioning thyroid and reset pancreas. Now back on IP, really doing the best I can to get this weight off and onto the next phase. If you are prescribed thyroid meds, consider Armour over the older versions (i.e.Synthroid) since Armour is a lot easier to take. As I understand it, with Synthroid, you need to have a window of time before and after taking your daily dose where you don't eat - hence some people take it in the middle of the night. With Armour, I only a need a 1 hour window around it, so easier to schedule in. Let us know what happens.
Thanks for the info on the medication, and I'll let you know what the doctors says. Right now, I can barely eat off program and I can gain weight like crazy. I also lose it like crazy once back on plan too. Hopefully it's all as simple as taking some medication, not that I like taking medication, but if that's what is needed then that's what I'll do.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #178  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Hi ladies, thanks for all the great info over the past couple of days! I love hearing about people who are in maintenance, it helps me mentally prepare for when I get there! I am a little afraid of the "fun day", which I envision right now as being me going wild from sun up to sun down, LOL!

Quick question - I am getting a cold, and I wondered if anyone has any good advice other than "suck it up, sister!" I do not want to eat off program foods or additional food, but has anyone had any success with anything else, like taking extra vitamin C or switching all of your packets to soups, etc? Making a grocery run today for kleenex and veggies and then hunkering down for the weekend!

Have a great day! TGIF!!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #179  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
There is one peice of pumpkin pie sitting in our refrigerator, and I told my husband last night to just eat it already. Still sitting there. No wonder he has never had a weight issue.
LOL!! There has been one piece (albeit diminishing in size!) of chocolate lava cake from my DH's dessert on NYE. He ate half that night, and has been eating it little by little since then and I *finally* noticed the empty container in the trash this morning! And yes, needless to say, he doesn't have a weight problem! I'm guess I'm lucky in a way that my cravings really aren't for chocolate and sugar. I'm missing having red wine with dinner more than anything, but I realize that really contributed to my gaining the weight in the first place (along with things like chips, crackers, cheese and nuts and ....).

Chloe: I'm on Armour Thyroid meds also (have been for years) and find it works better for me than the synthetics. I was never told about taking it or any of the other drugs on an empty stomach, but it usually works out that way for me since I take it first thing in the morning, usually about an hour or two before breakfast. I'm told the synthetics are easier to control in terms of dosage and quality control aspects, but they just didn't work for me at all.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #180  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
Quick question - I am getting a cold, and I wondered if anyone has any good advice other than "suck it up, sister!" I do not want to eat off program foods or additional food, but has anyone had any success with anything else, like taking extra vitamin C or switching all of your packets to soups, etc? Making a grocery run today for kleenex and veggies and then hunkering down for the weekend!
At our house, first sign of a sniffle or a scratchy throat, DH chops 2 raw garlic cloves which are then swallowed like a pill. For my cold, I made chicken soup by roasting a whole chicken (could buy rotisserie) & using the carcass to make the broth (bone broth is super healthy). For veggies: bok choy & celery (leaves & all!) garlic and leeks. I used the broth & veggies in my IP soups, too. Get some herbal tea. I like Tazo "Refresh" and Republic of Tea decaf Ginger Peach. I also drank a tea concoction of ginger root and lemon. And yes, i upped my timed release C and also upped my D3 to 10K iu. My worse symptoms were only 2-3 days but it seems EVERYONE is getting a version of this! I used more drinks (orange, pink lemonade) just to get the packets in, too.

I got mine right before Christmas and stayed AWAY from others so they wouldn't get sick. Hubby ended up with a milder form...
Closed Thread