Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #121  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

After a normal cheat/splurge day or two it usually takes me about 3 or 4 days to see the scale get back to normal.

This week is different because I am not going back to my regular eating so the extra weight is hanging on longer. TOM also keeps it up.

I wonder if some of the digestive issues are due to the increase in carbs this week. DH snoring returns when he adds carbs back. I have more difficult breathing, more of the big C and some digestive stuff returns. I think our bodies freak out when we add back things.

This is how I am trying to see it but I am not sure. When we were on P1, we gave our pancreases a rest. It did not have to produce much insulin. The more carbs we eat, the more it has to produce. I think and I could be wrong, that it just sorta gives up or gets overwhelmed at a certain point at which time the body just starts storing again. And that maybe once it feels the coast is clear it will start releasing fat/pounds again. Dunno. This is just a theory. I am trying to figure this out because I have found no pattern. Pizza one week does nothing. Pizza another week is a disaster.

Also, remember that 2 pounds is 7000 calories. That's a lot of food no matter now you slice it.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
After a normal cheat/splurge day or two it usually takes me about 3 or 4 days to see the scale get back to normal.

This week is different because I am not going back to my regular eating so the extra weight is hanging on longer. TOM also keeps it up.

I wonder if some of the digestive issues are due to the increase in carbs this week. DH snoring returns when he adds carbs back. I have more difficult breathing, more of the big C and some digestive stuff returns. I think our bodies freak out when we add back things.

This is how I am trying to see it but I am not sure. When we were on P1, we gave our pancreases a rest. It did not have to produce much insulin. The more carbs we eat, the more it has to produce. I think and I could be wrong, that it just sorta gives up or gets overwhelmed at a certain point at which time the body just starts storing again. And that maybe once it feels the coast is clear it will start releasing fat/pounds again. Dunno. This is just a theory. I am trying to figure this out because I have found no pattern. Pizza one week does nothing. Pizza another week is a disaster.

Also, remember that 2 pounds is 7000 calories. That's a lot of food no matter now you slice it.
Thanks for your input

The 2lbs after a cheat day is usually just food sitting there which is why it doesn't hang around after a day of Phase 1 and yes it takes sometimes a few days to go back to normal but i've never had such a gain (i certainly did not eat enough calories to gain 6lbs) and i never have to do 2 days of phase 1 with no results and a gain after a phase 3 day. Beside the few extras on sunday, it was a cheat day like all the others and i've never had such problems before.

Last edited by Busymomx4; 08-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes those extra carbs cause significant water retention.
I would stick with phase 1 until you flush it out.

My norm is like pat. I eat phase 1 or 2 during the week and allow for extras on the weekend, trying to stay fairly low carb.

I am usually back to normal be Wednesday, but sometimes it takes until Friday.

I am up from a 2 week trip. I can see and feel the bloating disappearing, but the scale has barely moved. It will of I stick with phase 1/2.

Even in maintenance I have had tom issues. I exercise a lot, so I blame that, combined with a pretty low cal diet.

Stick with phase 1 or 2 until you get back down.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #124  
Started IP 12/30/11

Momto2cs, I wish I exercised like you. Such discipline.

2 weeks is a long trip. I hope you had fun. But I understand the bloating. It's very, very uncomfortable. How long do you think you will do P1/2?

I might have to do something like that for a while. I am just hoping it won't be too long.

Busymomx4 - Did you try some new foods this week? If this feels much worse than before (and we can't blame it on the full moon) do you think it's something new that you tried or too much of that one item?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #125  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Busymomx4: I think it could also be water retention. You might try drinking lemon water or adding vinegar to your dressing. I would stick with Phase 1 until it comes down. Try not to panic..although I did the same thing when my weight went up..LOL. Phase 1 does work..and it will work for you.
I have had days when I lost 4 pounds then regained them the next day. The only thing I can figure out is water retention. Your stomach problem is interesting..could it be stress or maybe it is your body reacting to some of the foods you ate..Have you figured anything out?

Momto2cs: good luck on the long weekend. Good NSV not having wine with your friend. I drink lots of herbal tea when I am hungry..

PurpleSky: I definitely think our bodies react to carbs. It is interesting that you can eat the same thing and not gain from it..and then gain from it.
I also used other language when I gained weight..I also was terrified for awhile that I would gain it back. I remember buying some small jeans and worrying the whole time driving home, that I would not be able to fit them in a few months.

KC: I eat a Phase 3 breakfast and add a small carb at dinner.I still use fats at dinner to stir fry or roast vegetables. I also use olive oil dressing for lunch.

Lori" Good luck on beginning maintenance!

Patns: Hope you are having a good day and get those pounds off before your trip. I shop in Oregon where there are no taxes..but live in Washington where there are taxes. It makes a difference.

Ishbel: I am sorry about your accident. I backed into car once also. Hope you are Ok. Did you find some good running shoes?

Glad you guys liked the blog. There is humor in this maintenance!

Last edited by Maile; 08-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Busymomx4: I think it could also be water retention. You might try drinking lemon water or adding vinegar to your dressing. I would stick with Phase 1 until it comes down. Try not to panic..although I did the same thing when my weight went up..LOL. Phase 1 does work..and it will work for you.
I have had days when I lost 4 pounds then regained them the next day. The only thing I can figure out is water retention. Your stomach problem is interesting..could it be stress or maybe it is your body reacting to some of the foods you ate..Have you figured anything out?

I also used other language when I gained weight..I also was terrified for awhile that I would gain it back. I remember buying some small jeans and worrying the whole time driving home, that I would not be able to fit them in a few months.

Glad you guys liked the blog. There is humor in this maintenance!
I think for sure i'm retaining water today as i usually can take my ring off super easily and this morning not only i couldn't take it off, i couldn't even move it. So doing strict phase 1 (no restricted) for a week. Can't do it longer than a week as i need a week to do some phase 2/3 than leaving for vacations. Don't think water retention could cause that much gain but i would be happy to lose 3lbs to be within my normal range and hopefully i can do that in a week.

I worry too when getting new clothes. Funny cause today i keep thinking that i won't stop putting weight on and my pants feel tight than i remember that its a new pair of pants in size 4 and fitting me nicely vs all my other ones that are too big.

Loved the blog and oh so true!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #127  
Started IP 12/30/11

The bloating can feel very, very uncomfortable, especially if you bloat everywhere. I remember feeling my upper back yesterday (shoulder) and it was spongey. That's water. It's not spongey this morning. But, for a while it felt like I was wearing a spongey snowsuit. Very uncomfortable and even more jarring because it happens so quickly. This is not the kind of normal weight gain that happens over time. I remember noticing fat in my face, which I kinda of liked but it was everywhere.

Hang in there, hopefully it will start to come down soon or just disappear overnight. I am beginning to wonder if super sensitivities to certain foods or just overload results in being extra puffy for longer. Today I am eliminating. I had not been for days. Well, hardly.

I stuck ice cream in this week. I suspect that was the culprit. It's like half sugar, isn't it?

I think sometimes because in my mind I can only have something once, I cram it in and overdo it instead of eating something in small amts. here and there over a period of a week. I need to work on that as it lead to some kind of binging type tying. Not fun and really weird to me.

Also, I am learning that balance is really important. I think I remember reading a while back in these maintenance threads that a splurge meal worked better than a splurge day. I find that if I eat my normal and just indulge a bit I get the taste satisfaction and less problems in the days that follow.

So, I'll keep trying. I am convinced that carbs numb and make you feel better. At least for a while.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #128  

Quote:
The bloating can feel very, very uncomfortable, especially if you bloat everywhere. I remember feeling my upper back yesterday (shoulder) and it was spongey. That's water. It's not spongey this morning. But, for a while it felt like I was wearing a spongey snowsuit. Very uncomfortable and even more jarring because it happens so quickly. This is not the kind of normal weight gain that happens over time. I remember noticing fat in my face, which I kinda of liked but it was everywhere.

Hang in there, hopefully it will start to come down soon or just disappear overnight. I am beginning to wonder if super sensitivities to certain foods or just overload results in being extra puffy for longer. Today I am eliminating. I had not been for days. Well, hardly.

I stuck ice cream in this week. I suspect that was the culprit. It's like half sugar, isn't it?

I think sometimes because in my mind I can only have something once, I cram it in and overdo it instead of eating something in small amts. here and there over a period of a week. I need to work on that as it lead to some kind of binging type tying. Not fun and really weird to me.

Also, I am learning that balance is really important. I think I remember reading a while back in these maintenance threads that a splurge meal worked better than a splurge day. I find that if I eat my normal and just indulge a bit I get the taste satisfaction and less problems in the days that follow.

So, I'll keep trying. I am convinced that carbs numb and make you feel better. At least for a while.
Hopefully it will disappear overnight! I have that cramming problem too. Have no control whatsoever and have this feeling of "its only today so gotta have it all" not thinking that every week cheat day comes around and food will still be available. I guess i'll always be a food addict and have to work hard on staying in control.

The only thing i had this past week-end that i hadn't had before was pasta..not just any ole pasta, cheese tortilini. Don't see how that could've done it but who knows...

Glad i'm not alone

Last edited by Busymomx4; 08-03-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #129  
Started IP 10/6/11

S/C/G: 256/160/160

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymomx4 View Post
Hopefully it will disappear overnight! I have that cramming problem too. Have no control whatsoever and have this feeling of "its only today so gotta have it all" not thinking that every week cheat day comes around and food will still be available. I guess i'll always be a food addict and have to work hard on staying in control.

The only thing i had this past week-end that i hadn't had before was pasta..not just any ole pasta, cheese tortilini. Don't see how that could've done it but who knows...

Glad i'm not alone
I can so identify with this. Like for your fun day you want to make yourself a treat but it's hard to scale down the recipe for one serving, so you end up with way too much and you know it's not going to be good anymore by the next week. And there's no one else in the house that can eat it, so I end up eating it I am having a really hard day doing more than one P1 day. I was really low on energy before phasing off and now I think it's like a mental thing and I don't want to go back to feeling like that again and when I do more than a day of P1 I start feeling low on energy. But I have gained about 11 lb since on maintenance which I do not like. But at this point I like having more energy better than weighing less so.... I guess I can't have both.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #130  
Started IP 12/30/11

Ooooh...pasta. Back in the day that was my trouble food. That and the crusty white bread you get at the grocery store around dinner time hot from the oven. Trouble with a capital T. I ate a lot of different things but it was pasta and that bread that always resulted in the scale going up. Not cake. Not fries. Not anything else. Always pasta. I think those were the times I may have also passed 170 on the scale.

How do you do with other grains or refined flours? This might be an area where you have to experiment. That or smaller portions to satisfy your taste buds. I also wonder if alternative pastas might work. Rice? Whole wheat? Other? Also I wonder if separating the carbs from fat might help you a bit if you want to do pasta again. The pizza I had once was overloaded with cheese. It did me in. If the cheese content is lower I seem to do better.

Unfortunately I don't know of any tortellini or ravioli alternatives. They might exist. I saw someone make ravioli with wonton wrappers once.

This process is very normal. Maintainers keep on trying things till they figure out what works for them. Some can add a nice amt. of carbs back in. Some can't.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #131  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenrod View Post
I can so identify with this. Like for your fun day you want to make yourself a treat but it's hard to scale down the recipe for one serving, so you end up with way too much and you know it's not going to be good anymore by the next week. And there's no one else in the house that can eat it, so I end up eating it I am having a really hard day doing more than one P1 day. I was really low on energy before phasing off and now I think it's like a mental thing and I don't want to go back to feeling like that again and when I do more than a day of P1 I start feeling low on energy. But I have gained about 11 lb since on maintenance which I do not like. But at this point I like having more energy better than weighing less so.... I guess I can't have both.
Good point. I think that is what happens. DH is still losing so if I want pizza I have to eat most of it. Same with ice cream or whatever I want. I can't just have that small bite like I used to. I also don't want it around to tempt him.

I do anything to avoid P1. I did not feel good on P1. I have been worried I might have to do it again. I started to feel better on P3, maybe P2. It's part of the reason I stayed mostly on P3 and did not do cheat days for a while. I really did not want to do P1. And without introducing higher glycemic carbs, the cravings were not as powerful. It was once I started eating the higher glycemic carbs the cravings became stronger and willpower weaker.

I think I will just babystep back towards routine. Today I am going to work on getting water in. I have a 32oz bottle of water in front of me. Yesterday I had meat and veggies twice so that was really good for me. Just babysteps because a couple days ago the idea of water and veggies was blecht to me. I think the carb hold lifted.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I a, hoping that I won't have to do phase 1 for more than 2 weeks...although I am already worried about tonight as we are playing golf in a Bonnie and Clyde and there is a dinner after. My fingers are crossed for steak...

Otherwise I have enough ip food for my trip to Calgary. After the first 2 day I will be with my kids at my parents house. They will be out of town and dh is flying home Sunday to work and will meet up with us the following Friday. I could easily do phase 1 those day. I expect I will need to!

School starts here on august 29. I want to be at my low weight by then.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #133  

Unhappy

Quote:
Ooooh...pasta. Back in the day that was my trouble food. That and the crusty white bread you get at the grocery store around dinner time hot from the oven. Trouble with a capital T. I ate a lot of different things but it was pasta and that bread that always resulted in the scale going up. Not cake. Not fries. Not anything else. Always pasta. I think those were the times I may have also passed 170 on the scale.

How do you do with other grains or refined flours? This might be an area where you have to experiment. That or smaller portions to satisfy your taste buds. I also wonder if alternative pastas might work. Rice? Whole wheat? Other? Also I wonder if separating the carbs from fat might help you a bit if you want to do pasta again. The pizza I had once was overloaded with cheese. It did me in. If the cheese content is lower I seem to do better.

Unfortunately I don't know of any tortellini or ravioli alternatives. They might exist. I saw someone make ravioli with wonton wrappers once.

This process is very normal. Maintainers keep on trying things till they figure out what works for them. Some can add a nice amt. of carbs back in. Some can't.
I've had cake quite often cause i love cake. I've had white bread and pizza and no problem. So the white pasta might be the culprit, oh yeah, had white crusty bread with it too.
ji
Drinking ton of hot water and lemon trying to get rid of water rerention, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for everyone's input
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #134  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I can identify with that feeling that if something tastes good, you then want to keep eating it..as though you will never get a chance to ever, ever eat that food again! It seems crazy..but you can feel that way..and of course it is the sugar or high glycemic foods that can set you off.

Busymom: Hope the lemon water helps. Wow: size 4 pants is great.
Momto2c: hope Phase 1 is working for you and you have steak.
Purple Sky: I am glad the carb hold has lifted! I find I have to make myself drink the water..it is easy to slack off.
Goldenrod: Good luck on figuring out your energy on maintenance. I also love pasta.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #135  

Well i was happily surprised to have drop 3lbs overnight, i'm thanking the hot water and lemon and will do that again every phase 1 day too. So i'm back within my range and cheat day today, reasonable one this time. I had a regular phase 3 breakfast and 2 slice french toast extra (made with sugar free bread, splenda for the eggs and WF syrup). I'm making a conscious effort not to overeat.

But my faith in the program is reinstated and i feel a lot more comfortable now, knowing that you will lose anything you gain.

Have a great week-end everyone!
Closed Thread