Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #181  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBean View Post
I live in Rhode island which is pretty close to where nashuanutrition ships from. it usually takes 2-3days. I really like using this company no complaints. the caramel nut bars and chocolate soy puffs are the exact same as the ip stuff too.... same packaging and everything!

Enjoy
It usually only takes that amount of time when I order also. They are very fast at processing and shipping it out. I don't think I've ever waited any longer that 3 days for my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiR View Post
Has anyone tried the HealthSmart Cherry Gelatin, Raspberry Gelatin, or Strawberry Banana Gelatin? I'm wondering if it's similar to IP's Raspberry Jelly.

Thanks
I don't know how it compares to IP since I've nver had IP, but I tried the Cherry Gelatin and YUK! I gagged it down. It's fairly inexpensive, so you could certainly try it. I just bought some unflavored protein powder from Nashua to try adding to my own foods that are 0/0/0. Here's what I did for Jello

Knox Gelatin (2 of the 4 packets)
Any flavor Mio (you could probably use an extract flavor too, but I think they have some alcohols in them)

Knox comes with 4 small packets of gelatin, so I cut the recipe to make it in half. Once I mixed the gelatin, I added the protein sample and then mio to taste. I turned out pretty good. The potein did settle a little so I have a ring around the top of my bowl, but it tastes pretty good.

I think next time I'm going to make it in a muffin tin and then just add different flavors of mio in each spot so I have a variety to choose from. This way, I also have a snack for when I'm craving something and it won't count as a whole packet!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 228/156/133

Height: 5ft 3in

Default Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolabs View Post
I just left my clinic to do it on my own as well. I use the labels as a guide and am getting everything from nashua in combo with EAS shakes and my IP Favs I stocked up on. Didn't really see benefit in coaching and I have friends who have done who can help with guidance- as well as this awesome site to finish phases.

Can people post their favorite alternatives- I just ordered -

HealthSmart Pancakes - Golden DeliCious*
HealthSmart Pudding & Shake - Cheesecake *
Proti-Thin Protein Bar - Caramel Delight *-LOVE LOVE
Proti-Thin Snack - Chocolate Covered Soy Snacks
ProtiDiet Oatmeal - Maple Brown Sugar
ProtiDiet Omelette - Bacon & Cheese - not a fan so far
ProtiDiet Pancakes - Blueberry pancakes
ProtiDiet Pudding - Chocolate
ProtiDiet Pudding - Vanilla

All seem okay or did I miss something where I shouldn't use a product? Any other suggestions? I can't have nuts per allergy.

Thanks for tips and recs!
Thanks twolabs, I have been on the IP protocol for 12 weeks, and have lost 35 pounds. But I am beginning to question the cost. For example, I found Soy Nuts that have almost the identical nutritional values (except with much less sodium) for $1.25 for 12 ounces. Its hard to justify $28 for 7 little packages. I combined one teaspoon each of onion juice, garlic and for fun liquid smoke, stir in a cup of these inexpensive soy nuts and then roast them for a few minutes on a cookie sheet to bake in the flavor - my version is so much better and cost a TINY fraction of the IP version. Same thing with the herb and cheese omelet - IP is really good, but I can buy powdered cheese and use various seasonings to make my own version for pennies compared to the $4 per breakfast package.

Have been checking out the Proti Diet products, so please keep posting which ones you find good. I will do the same.

I have another 65 pounds to go, so I really don't want to slow down too much. My coach is great, and understands that folks get burned out on the cost. I doubt I will stop using the IP protocol entirely, but I am just trying to do it as cost effectively as possible.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
I don't know how it compares to IP since I've nver had IP, but I tried the Cherry Gelatin and YUK! I gagged it down. It's fairly inexpensive, so you could certainly try it. I just bought some unflavored protein powder from Nashua to try adding to my own foods that are 0/0/0. Here's what I did for Jello

Knox Gelatin (2 of the 4 packets)
Any flavor Mio (you could probably use an extract flavor too, but I think they have some alcohols in them)

Knox comes with 4 small packets of gelatin, so I cut the recipe to make it in half. Once I mixed the gelatin, I added the protein sample and then mio to taste. I turned out pretty good. The potein did settle a little so I have a ring around the top of my bowl, but it tastes pretty good.

I think next time I'm going to make it in a muffin tin and then just add different flavors of mio in each spot so I have a variety to choose from. This way, I also have a snack for when I'm craving something and it won't count as a whole packet!
That's a great idea! I just checked the ingredients of the HealthSmart's Gelatins and they have aspartame in them. I was going to try the raspberry flavor but not anymore. Oh well
Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #184  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Default Would this be an appropriate alternate addition for those craving bread?

I'm only in my first week of IP, but you folks have got me thinking about the possibility of saving so much $ by using plan/protocol-appropriate but alternative products. I pondered the cost of IP, and almost didn't join because of it. However, I will stick at least for a few more weeks until I have the routine down pat and my motivation is 150% reinforced by some good weight loss. Then... well I'm already sure I'll very seriously consider switching to alternatives.

The posts in this thread have prompted me to look around at the various optioins, and I've come across this item... details below. Is there any reason this couldn't be added, with a plan-appropriate topping? Seems like it would also help the 'Big C' issue I've read about. Here's the info:

GG Bran Crispbread is a traditionally baked crispbread, which is still produced in Norway, by the Gundersen family. Founded in 1935, Mr. Eugen Gundersen, who created the original recipe, began producing bran crispbread as he found that the original Scandinavian crispbread was the most effective and appetizing method of supplementing his diet with fiber.

Highly recommended by leading physicians and nutritionists for diet control especially for diabetic and cancer patients and anyone who is looking to lose weight. Made with 85% unprocessed bran, it's the highest in dietary fiber and lowest in calories with only 16 per slice.

Delicious with any topping and can be used in place of regular bread in sandwiches or snacks. Try with low-fat cheese, peanut butter or any other spread.

Ingredients: Unprocessed wheat bran, rye flour, salt (salt content 0.4%).

Nutrition Facts: per 1 slice (9g) Calories 16 Fat 0g (%) Saturated Fat 0g (%) TransFat 0g (%) Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 30mg (1%) Carbohydrate 7g (2%) Fiber 5g (16%) Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohol 0g Protein 1g (%) % Daily Value

Vitamin C 0% Calcium 2% Iron 6% Thiamin (B1) 4% Riboflavin (B2) 2% Niacin (B3) 8%

It's available through: http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/product/GGS-001
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass59 View Post
Thanks twolabs, I have been on the IP protocol for 12 weeks, and have lost 35 pounds. But I am beginning to question the cost. For example, I found Soy Nuts that have almost the identical nutritional values (except with much less sodium) for $1.25 for 12 ounces. Its hard to justify $28 for 7 little packages. I combined one teaspoon each of onion juice, garlic and for fun liquid smoke, stir in a cup of these inexpensive soy nuts and then roast them for a few minutes on a cookie sheet to bake in the flavor - my version is so much better and cost a TINY fraction of the IP version. Same thing with the herb and cheese omelet - IP is really good, but I can buy powdered cheese and use various seasonings to make my own version for pennies compared to the $4 per breakfast package.

Have been checking out the Proti Diet products, so please keep posting which ones you find good. I will do the same.

I have another 65 pounds to go, so I really don't want to slow down too much. My coach is great, and understands that folks get burned out on the cost. I doubt I will stop using the IP protocol entirely, but I am just trying to do it as cost effectively as possible.
What brand Soy Nuts did you use? I would like to try this.

Second, where do you find onion juice?

thanks,
Chloe
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #186  

Re Proti-Diet, I really like their Cream of Vegetable soup. Very creamy and I often use it with Miracle Noodles fettucine. I buy Miracle Noodles from iherbs.com. They also are my source for liquid stevia flavorings.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #187  
Started IP 3/26/12

Default Good alternate supplements available online at Dr. Bernsteins...

This could be a good replacement for the IP supplements. And of course the regular shakes, bars, soups, etc, are available too. You can order online.
Go to: http://store.drbdiet.com/category-s/22.htm
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Re Proti-Diet, I really like their Cream of Vegetable soup. Very creamy and I often use it with Miracle Noodles fettucine. I buy Miracle Noodles from iherbs.com. They also are my source for liquid stevia flavorings.
That's a wonderful idea! Since I just purchased the Proti-Diet Chicken flavor soup, this pushed me to finally try the Miracle noodles. I found a pack of 6 Miracle noodle products on amazon- 2 packs of Angel Hair pasta, 2 of Fettuccini, and 2 of the miracle rice. You said you use the cream of vegetable soup but do you think it'd work well with the chicken soup?
If you have any other tips on preparing the miracle noodles let me know. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #189  

S/C/G: 184/180/150

Height: 5'2"

Default started with IP now doing alternatives

I wanted to just say I started IP on Jan 19 of 2012 and I feel if I would not have started out with them I would not be able to continue. The cost of IP totally kept me on program. Which in turn gave me the confidence to know that I am stronger than food and that dieting is a mental game. So I guess what I am trying to say is without the cost of IP I wouldn't have stayed on program however now that I have confidence and this awesome website I can change to alternatives and still lose the weight. I have been on alternatives for 2 weeks and have lost 3.2 lbs. And I am alot less stressed becouse I can handle the cost now and I am not worried about all the money spent.

Everyone has to look at their situation and figure out what is best for them and try it and remember you can always change what your are doing if it is not working.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

This is my VERY FAVORITE THREAD!! I am getting so many great ideas here. Soy Nuts!?!?! Can't wait to check this out. I have recently decided to lower my goal weight and I am actually excited all over again about this program. I truly believe that if you are vigilant and careful in your choices, you can incorporate many of the great products out there, saving $$$$ and providing interesting new variety.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #191  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyjo View Post
I feel if I would not have started out with them I would not be able to continue. The cost of IP totally kept me on program. Which in turn gave me the confidence to know that I am stronger than food and that dieting is a mental game. So I guess what I am trying to say is without the cost of IP I wouldn't have stayed on program however now that I have confidence and this awesome website I can change to alternatives and still lose the weight. I have been on alternatives for 2 weeks and have lost 3.2 lbs. And I am alot less stressed becouse I can handle the cost now and I am not worried about all the money spent.

Everyone has to look at their situation and figure out what is best for them and try it and remember you can always change what your are doing if it is not working.
That's exactly now I feel beckyjo. The fact that I'm spending this much, on top of my desire to get my eating 'retrained' so I can lose this weight and get healthy, is what's keeping me on board with things at this early stage. Once I feel I'm fully 'in the groove' I'll seriously consider switching to protocol-appropriate alternatives though, for the cost savings. It helps to read about how so many others here have done this successfully.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #192  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
This could be a good replacement for the IP supplements. And of course the regular shakes, bars, soups, etc, are available too. You can order online.
Go to: http://store.drbdiet.com/category-s/22.htm
They do only ship to Canada though.
I went by a clinic yesterday as I posted on last page. The products I bought (hot cocoa and variety box of bars) are identical to IP products, same packaging and all. They didn't have pudding at the clinic I went to so I am going to order some on line.

edited to add; I did try to put a order through online but the shipping rates are horrific, starting at $55 and up for two small boxes. So it is only a savings if you can go into a clinic.

Last edited by patns; 03-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiR View Post
That's a wonderful idea! Since I just purchased the Proti-Diet Chicken flavor soup, this pushed me to finally try the Miracle noodles. I found a pack of 6 Miracle noodle products on amazon- 2 packs of Angel Hair pasta, 2 of Fettuccini, and 2 of the miracle rice. You said you use the cream of vegetable soup but do you think it'd work well with the chicken soup?
If you have any other tips on preparing the miracle noodles let me know. Thanks!
I add something to every soup I ever have on IP since I like to feel full!

So usually that means some celery pieces that I steam in the microwave for 1 minute and a bag of Miracle Noodles fettucine (I like that one best, the others don't have as much "tooth" and I cut the fettucine into smaller pieces so I can eat the soup with a spoon right after they boil for 5 minutes). Yes, I do use a whole bag and don't recommend that for everyone. But I do it since I work out 5X week in addition to daily long walks with the dogs.

I love Proti Thin's pea soup too - do same thing. IP has a broc cheese soup that I add an extra package of frozen brocolli to and enjoy that for lunch sometimes. Soups are very filling and an easy way to get extra veggies in. Sometimes make soups as sauces (less water) and pour over baked chicken breast or fish w/ veggies in same sauce too. Easier to get down. I make sure I watch what I'm eating and don't overdo packets. Also at times, I use a half packet of this one item and then use the other half later in the day to achieve goals of tasty food and not taking in too much (or too little). Too little is rarely a problem for me, LOL!!

Add fresh spinach to my choc shakes (using choc pudding and ice cubes, a little water, a little WF choc syrup and a 1/4 tsp vanilla to take the chemical edge off).
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #194  
Started IP 3/26/12

Default Another good alternative product source..

Is at http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/cat...oducts_id=2130

I've been checking nutrition labels, etc. and faithfully doing my comparisons vs similiar IP products, and they definitely have lots of suitable products....hot oatmeal, cereal, shakes, soy 'beanits', PB2 Powdered PB, sugar-free jello products (I'll need to add protein), WF products (I just ordered WF Italian Dressing, Calorie Free Ketchup and Blue Cheese Dip @$4.59/ea... beats the IP $$7.38/unit price.) .. in short - lots of items that look very suitable for people doing this protocol with alternate products.

I'm getting organized, in preparation for the time a few weeks from now when I'll make the 'switchover' to alternative products. My order (which included items from all of the groups listed above) cost $105.19. Out of curiosity, I've just again checked the # of servings per product, etc., and compared this to the per packet/product cost of IP products where the cost of an equivalent order would be very close to $500.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #195  
*Newbie IP Start 2/6/2012

Has anyone found an alternative product comparable to the Ideal Protein Southwestern Cheese Curls? I found something 'close' by Healthsmart, with a little less protein, carbs and calories, but was curious if anyone knows of anything different! I don't have the IP ones very often but I do enjoy them once in a while!

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store...ffs-1-bag.html

Thanks in advance!!
Closed Thread