Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #196  
robinsmbr

S/C/G: 249/240/130

Height: 5feet 1in

Made my first order of alternative products. I ordered a starter variety pack so I can try it out. Cheaper than buying whole boxes and maybe not liking them.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
It usually only takes that amount of time when I order also. They are very fast at processing and shipping it out. I don't think I've ever waited any longer that 3 days for my order.

I don't know how it compares to IP since I've nver had IP, but I tried the Cherry Gelatin and YUK! I gagged it down. It's fairly inexpensive, so you could certainly try it. I just bought some unflavored protein powder from Nashua to try adding to my own foods that are 0/0/0. Here's what I did for Jello

Knox Gelatin (2 of the 4 packets)
Any flavor Mio (you could probably use an extract flavor too, but I think they have some alcohols in them)

Knox comes with 4 small packets of gelatin, so I cut the recipe to make it in half. Once I mixed the gelatin, I added the protein sample and then mio to taste. I turned out pretty good. The potein did settle a little so I have a ring around the top of my bowl, but it tastes pretty good.

I think next time I'm going to make it in a muffin tin and then just add different flavors of mio in each spot so I have a variety to choose from. This way, I also have a snack for when I'm craving something and it won't count as a whole packet!
Mama,
Thanks for this. I'm going to try making my own jell-o this way! Love the idea of using Mio in it too.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #198  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I'm only in my first week of IP, but you folks have got me thinking about the possibility of saving so much $ by using plan/protocol-appropriate but alternative products. I pondered the cost of IP, and almost didn't join because of it. However, I will stick at least for a few more weeks until I have the routine down pat and my motivation is 150% reinforced by some good weight loss. Then... well I'm already sure I'll very seriously consider switching to alternatives.

The posts in this thread have prompted me to look around at the various optioins, and I've come across this item... details below. Is there any reason this couldn't be added, with a plan-appropriate topping? Seems like it would also help the 'Big C' issue I've read about. Here's the info:

GG Bran Crispbread is a traditionally baked crispbread, which is still produced in Norway, by the Gundersen family. Founded in 1935, Mr. Eugen Gundersen, who created the original recipe, began producing bran crispbread as he found that the original Scandinavian crispbread was the most effective and appetizing method of supplementing his diet with fiber.

Highly recommended by leading physicians and nutritionists for diet control especially for diabetic and cancer patients and anyone who is looking to lose weight. Made with 85% unprocessed bran, it's the highest in dietary fiber and lowest in calories with only 16 per slice.

Delicious with any topping and can be used in place of regular bread in sandwiches or snacks. Try with low-fat cheese, peanut butter or any other spread.

Ingredients: Unprocessed wheat bran, rye flour, salt (salt content 0.4%).

Nutrition Facts: per 1 slice (9g) Calories 16 Fat 0g (%) Saturated Fat 0g (%) TransFat 0g (%) Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 30mg (1%) Carbohydrate 7g (2%) Fiber 5g (16%) Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohol 0g Protein 1g (%) % Daily Value

Vitamin C 0% Calcium 2% Iron 6% Thiamin (B1) 4% Riboflavin (B2) 2% Niacin (B3) 8%

It's available through: http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/product/GGS-001
Interesting product, but no, I would not use this now.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #199  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Is at http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/cat...oducts_id=2130

I've been checking nutrition labels, etc. and faithfully doing my comparisons vs similiar IP products, and they definitely have lots of suitable products....hot oatmeal, cereal, shakes, soy 'beanits', PB2 Powdered PB, sugar-free jello products (I'll need to add protein), WF products (I just ordered WF Italian Dressing, Calorie Free Ketchup and Blue Cheese Dip @$4.59/ea... beats the IP $$7.38/unit price.) .. in short - lots of items that look very suitable for people doing this protocol with alternate products.

I'm getting organized, in preparation for the time a few weeks from now when I'll make the 'switchover' to alternative products. My order (which included items from all of the groups listed above) cost $105.19. Out of curiosity, I've just again checked the # of servings per product, etc., and compared this to the per packet/product cost of IP products where the cost of an equivalent order would be very close to $500.
Did you notice w/ a few products you can buy in bulk? Like bulk oatmeal? They offer that on Nashua Nutrition. The savings can add up. Key is being sure to measure out only the proper amount.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I am recopying this question becca1978 asked on another thread.

I started IP last June and managed to lose about 30 lbs by mid August. I thought I could control my eating by using alternatives and do it on my own. But then majorly fell off the wagon and gained all of it back.

My weeks just run together and I had no accountability. I would be 100% for a couple days and then cheat a couple days. I would go down, up, down, up, etc, but never getting anywhere.

I have been 100% now for 3 weeks and have lost 11 lbs. But we found out that insurance isn't covering our daughters speech. I feel I should quit again and do alternatives because they are cheaper and to save $$$.

But I am scared of the lack of accountability. If i lose 3 lbs/week, I could impossible be at my goal weight in 8 weeks = another $1k when you think about food and vitamins.

WI#1-6.2 WI#2-0.0 WI#3-5.2
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #201  

In answer to becca's question personally I went to alternatives partly because of accountability. Once I got the basics under control I realized that if I was going to be successful and more importantly keep the weight off long term I needed to be totally in control of my plan. I had to monotor very carefully what was happening with my body and be personally accountable for what happens with it. As I learned to take that control I know I am better prepared to keep my weight under control for the rest of my life.

The biggest thing I had to learn was to plan ahead for each day and prepare what I needed. Then whatever curve came my way in other plans my food plan was not inpacted. Those decisions had been made the day before so it didn't matter what celebration with food was contstantly springing up around me. I didn't even have to think about what decision I would have to make about it. That decision had already been made when I prepared what I was to eat for the day.
Pat
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 207/181/135 started IP 3/23/12

Ordered some alternative products will update u guys on the quality when i get them......keep on chattin bc it sure is helpful
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #203  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I am recopying this question becca1978 asked on another thread.

I started IP last June and managed to lose about 30 lbs by mid August. I thought I could control my eating by using alternatives and do it on my own. But then majorly fell off the wagon and gained all of it back.

My weeks just run together and I had no accountability. I would be 100% for a couple days and then cheat a couple days. I would go down, up, down, up, etc, but never getting anywhere.

I have been 100% now for 3 weeks and have lost 11 lbs. But we found out that insurance isn't covering our daughters speech. I feel I should quit again and do alternatives because they are cheaper and to save $$$.

But I am scared of the lack of accountability. If i lose 3 lbs/week, I could impossible be at my goal weight in 8 weeks = another $1k when you think about food and vitamins.

WI#1-6.2 WI#2-0.0 WI#3-5.2
What aspect of having a coach makes you feel accountable? Is it the face to face aspect? The formality of someone else weighing you and recording it? Is it paying the IP prices and not wanting to waste the money?

Something else?

Let us know and maybe we can help you sort this out.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #204  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I think it is the face to face meetings. And the weighing and measuring.

I would go a couple good days in a row, cheat a couple days, good a couple days, cheat, etc. Before I knew it, it had been a couple months and I was at the same spot.

I lot of my problem is trying to figure out how to deal with emotional eating also.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1978 View Post

I would go a couple good days in a row, cheat a couple days, good a couple days, cheat, etc. Before I knew it, it had been a couple months and I was at the same spot.

I lot of my problem is trying to figure out how to deal with emotional eating also.
It sounds like you would do well if you had a buddy locally doing this also. Have any friends willing to lose weight via IP? Perhaps you could develop your own IP club and hold each accountable and do the weigh ins together as well as place alternative orders together (save on S&H).

Re the emotional issues, I think most of us on this site have emotional issues with food, hence the need for IP. That's where this site comes in - we help each other be strong and focused.

Any one of us could say we're having a bad day and go off program but we're fighting that, sometimes moment by moment, to stay on program. Some days are incredibly tough.

However, ultimately, you need to want to lose weight and become healthier for this to work, so I hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #206  

Quote:

Probably the set day to meet with the coach was giving you external structure and breaking the time into manageable chunks for you. It was a routine already set up for you. it is hard to keep your eye on the prize while going about our daily lives. Day to day progress seems slow put it all adds up in the end.

If you really can't afford to go to a clinic you will likely have to establish some other form of weekly ritual to mark the day that you weigh in.

One thing that I found helped me to do this was to join sign up for some sort of challenge such as the easter one on here or a Biggest Loser type one that many workplaces or communities have.

I hope you figure out what works for you. I assume the date in your user name is your birth date. I will tell you I so wish I had conquered the weight issue when I was younger. It is so hard after menopause and it would have been so much fun to wear things I really liked in my 30s rather than things I could get on no matter what they looked like.
Good luck with this live changing journey.

Pat
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #207  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:

Becca, if it is a face to face meeting you need, I will be willing to skype with you if that is what you need. If you can't find someone in your area or a friend that is willing to do that for you. I can be your face to face meeting and you could weigh and measure yourself, we could log it just as you would if you were at a clinic. There is ALWAYS a way to get support with the internet now, there are SOOO many options. Like I think Chole said YOU HAVE TO WANT IT for it to work. If your mind is made up and you want to get this weight off YOU CAN DO IT!...believe in yourself.

I posted this on my thread in response to someone but wanted to share it with you as well.....

ZZ, you picked a PERFECT spot to post!!....I was were you were 11 months ago. As of last Wednesday and my 11month anniversary on IP I have loss a total of 140lbs and over 90 inches. Don't think of this as a diet but a lifestyle change. I will tell you this though, you MUST change your way of thinking. Don't think, I am starving on this diet because you are not. Your body is getting the food it needs to survive. You have to think of your food now as fuel for your body, not for comfort. I started off 100lbs HEAVIER than YOU....at 388lbs and look how far I have come. It takes determination, dedication and NO EXCUSES, with that comes NO CHEATING which means, no licks, nibbles, taste, sips or JUST ONE BITES!.....there are things you will be able to add to make this journey a little easier. You can add MIO(water flavoring) to your water, you can have herbal or decaffeinated tea that counts towards your water. I would suggest drinking as much water as you can, the more water you drink the more fat you lose. Yes you will go to the restroom A LOT ...BUT I look at it like this, every time I go to the restroom I am losing fat and I want it to be GONE forever!. I drink 4-5 liters of water a day. Chew gum when you THINK you are hungry because you are NOT really hungry, distract yourself with something you like to do, read a book, crossword puzzles, sew, quilt or start a new hobby, posting and reading on here!

This is a very strict program BUT worth EVERY thing you go through, your first week you will think you can't do this. I AM HERE TO TELL YOU YES YOU CAN!! you will get a killer headache, put 1/4 tsp of sea salt in the palm of your hand, lick it then drink some water and within 15 mins is should be gone.. Your BP is low and your electrolytes are low, your body is detoxing from the carbs and sugar....I PROMISE YOU, it does get better.

I will be here for you through your journey along with many others. You will gain friends on this site who are all over the world. We all have a bond that no others have, we are all on the same journey going through the same things. Only we have the understanding what we are going through, with the strength each of us have we all help each other get through the hurdles and help each other to be successful. Welcome to the IP family!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #208  

Thanks everyone for the advice! I can't remember how to quote again.

My husband volunteered to make me accountable, so we may have to try that for a while.

I am in my 30's. I really do want to get this under control. I have been on diets since I was in my teens. Up, down, up, down. I am hoping this time it will help that i am focusing on the emotional reasons why I eat too. On a thread somewhere on here, someone talked about the Shrink Yourself book by Roger Gould. I have a feeling that I will have to read it a couple times to catch everything, but I think it will help. Right now, it is making me think about every time I eat.

I had a really rough day on Wednesday. I stopped at Target for some things and could smell good buttery popcorn. I was tempted, but then I stopped and was reminding myself that it wasn't on the diet and it was just my emotions that were talking to me about eating it.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Becca, if it is a face to face meeting you need, I will be willing to skype with you if that is what you need. If you can't find someone in your area or a friend that is willing to do that for you. I can be your face to face meeting and you could weigh and measure yourself, we could log it just as you would if you were at a clinic. There is ALWAYS a way to get support with the internet now, there are SOOO many options. Like I think Chole said YOU HAVE TO WANT IT for it to work. If your mind is made up and you want to get this weight off YOU CAN DO IT!...believe in yourself.
Is this not the sweetest thing ever?? That is why she is B'loved!!

And you, too, Patns -- such awesome support.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #210  

Here is one more question for now. Does Nashua ever have coupon codes?

Survalia - It is the sweetest thing ever! I may have to take her up on it!
Closed Thread