Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 191/IP185/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
I got through my first day with few bumps! I did get a little hungry and had a headache. I have been splitting my 2 cups of veggies into 1 cup mid morning and then 1 cup at lunch and the same for mid afternoon and dinner. It helps me get through the hunger. I have liked all the food so far. I am using a lemon wedge in my water, per my coach.

Also as I am limited on my coffee, she suggested just drinking hot water in the afternoon. I can use the hot tap at my work and it is surprisingly satisfying.

Hang in there ladies. (no men that I can see!) Also tomorrow I think I have to be out of town for dinner and will have to eat at a restaurant. Any good ideas? I was thinking of Appelbees or Ruby Tuesdays for a small steak, steamed broccoli and a plain dinner salad.
Yinyang I used to work at a Ruby Tuesday - Make sure you ask for no seasoning and no butter on the broccoli (they will just get some broccoli from the salad bar and steam it in the microwave). Also with the steak you might want to ask for no seasoning - I'm not sure if the seasoning has MSG or not. I would also get salad bar added instead of a plain dinner salad then you can tailor the veggies that you get. They have a great salad bar! Good luck! I haven't ventured out to a restaurant yet (I am only on week 2).

Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

I used to work at Ruby Tuesday too - 10 years ago. Their "Ruby Tuesday seasoning" which goes on almost everything (potato salad, french fries, etc.) definitely has MSG. I read the shaker one time when I was making potato salad there for the salad bar. But the salad bar is fresh, the managers make sure of that. Good luck on eating out!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilita175 View Post
Applebee's was my first restaurant meal when I started IP. I suggest the sirloin steak (7 ounces so you will have to cut off 2 ounces) and they will substitute the starch (potato?) with a serving of steamed veggies. So you get 2 servings of steamed veggies. You will have to "pick out" the carrot slivers, though.
I wouldn't worry too much terribly much about carrot slivers. Carrots have a high glycemic index, but a low glycemic load. The latter number, which takes into account the serving size, is the number that matters most. The glycemic index is a relatively new concept, and research is still being done. Several low carb diets which initially forbade carrots due to it's high glycemic index now say that a small amount of carrot is okay due to it's low glycemic load.

---
Editing to fix a typo in my original spreadsheet. 1/2 oz of croutons is 14 g.

Last edited by Birman; 03-05-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #229  
Started Ip on 12/19/09

S/C/G: 189/148/130

Height: 5'5"

We went to Applebees and I had the steak, except I ate all 7 oz. It tasted so good. I also had the salad bar and steamed broccoli. It was wonderful. I will ask for no seasoning next time. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #230  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
Hi Texas Sweetie,

A post where I shared what I ate one day is here.

One thing I think is very important is that you know what you're eating -- that you have a good idea of the calories, protein, carbs, fiber, and fat in the food you choose. Not the exact numbers, but a good approximation. And a good idea of the glycemic load as well. That way you can make good choices.

I have a good internal sense of this without having to track it, because I have lots of past experience in tracking. Heck, I was tracking my nutrient levels 20 years ago on a DOS program! Hence, I don't need to track very often anymore. However, if you don't feel confident that you have a good sense of the nutrient profile of your foods, I would highly recommend detailed tracking for a while. Knowledge is power. I use a program called Weight by Date Pro because it automatically tells me the net carbs, and I'm to lazy to do the math myself. However, there are lots of free online sources that work fine.

Regarding tracking: Back when I was a financial advisor I found that some clients had a very clear idea of where their money went, whereas other people had no idea. This really made a huge difference in their financial well-being. Like I had a 32 year old client who earned $350,000 per year and was always broke and way in debt, whereas another 32 year old client who earned $20,000 per year had one house paid off and owned 3 rental houses with manageable mortgages. That comes from the choices one makes, and knowing where your money is going. My husband and I are opposites this way. He ALWAYS knows where his money is going -- he has a good internal sense of it. However, I don't. Unless I track it in Quicken, I don't have a clue. And it shows in our results.

In quantum physics, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that you can never know the exact position and the exact momentum of an electron at the same time. You can know one or the other, but not both. That's because the act of observing the system changes it. Well, I think that's true for a lot of things -- the act of observing something changes it. For me, that is certainly true when I track what I eat, or track where my money goes. When I had financial clients with poor spending habits I would put them on Quicken tracking for 6 months. I would even go to their houses several times to get it set up for them, and to help them with maintenance until they got the hang of it. Once they started to actually SEE where they heck their money went, they automatically made choices that were more in line with the results they wanted.

The nice thing about the IP product system is that there are very few choices one has to make. You get packets, supplements, a list of veggies, and that's pretty well it. It's simple, and it works great for a lot of people. For others who want to branch out more, ya need to be more knowledgeable. I happen to be very analytical, so for me, looking up the nutrient profile of foods and making choices is fun. It's not for everyone though.
Birman: your posts are so informative. I look forward to them.
I have always thought that money issues and weight issues are intertwined along with clutter control (or lack thereof LOL.)

I know when my spending is under control so is my eating. If my kitchen is clean I feel calmer and it is easier to drink a big glass of water or have a cup of herbal tea than to "cheat."

We humans are just so weird!

Quantum physics fascinates me. Observing electrons makes them change behavior. Observing a human makes them turn to look at you. Animals can sense our moods. Something wonderful and mysterious is going on around us at all times.

Here on the forum we often have the same issues at the same time. Very interesting to me.

We are meant to be here now, sharing this "lose weight and get healthy" journey at exactly the same time.

We are pioneers! Some day in the near future, everyone in the U.S. will have at least heard of Ideal Protein. It's too good to ignore!

Until next time,

Your cyber buddy......
Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #231  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastmama View Post
We went to Applebees and I had the steak, except I ate all 7 oz. It tasted so good. I also had the salad bar and steamed broccoli. It was wonderful. I will ask for no seasoning next time. Thanks for the tip!
Ahhhhh, I gotta have a steak now!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 159/131.5/115

Height: 5'2"

Question, did any of your ladies get a later TOM date after starting this diet?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 164.2/164.2/130

Height: 5' 6 3/4"

Hi Everyone! Have enjoyed reading all your posts so far. Lots of info and seems like lots of different variations on the program.
I just started this week, I'm not finding it too bad, but honestly, the taste of the food is making me think I'm going to have to quit. I have had to dilute all the drinks, etc., but still find they taste funny to me. Omelet OK. Cereal - gross.
Do the vegetable have to be cooked, or can they be raw?
Also, I saw that you're supposed to be taking an Omega 3 and an Anti-Oxy + Enzymes. The place I am using doesn't have them, and I haven't found them on-line either. Is anyone taking these?
Curious about the person eating real food now and then.
Any other helpful tips?
Never, ever posted on a forum before, so don't actually know what I am doing!! ;-)
Looking to lose about 60 pounds.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #234  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHA View Post
Hi Everyone! Have enjoyed reading all your posts so far. Lots of info and seems like lots of different variations on the program.
I just started this week, I'm not finding it too bad, but honestly, the taste of the food is making me think I'm going to have to quit. I have had to dilute all the drinks, etc., but still find they taste funny to me. Omelet OK. Cereal - gross.
Do the vegetable have to be cooked, or can they be raw?
Also, I saw that you're supposed to be taking an Omega 3 and an Anti-Oxy + Enzymes. The place I am using doesn't have them, and I haven't found them on-line either. Is anyone taking these?
Curious about the person eating real food now and then.
Any other helpful tips?
Never, ever posted on a forum before, so don't actually know what I am doing!! ;-)
Looking to lose about 60 pounds.
Hi LJHA - I only eat the puddings (mostly as drinks) and the Jello...I don't really like anything else. Occasionally I will have 2 eggs for breakfast instead of a protein package (and still have a regular protein with dinner). Mostly I just live off of the few IP foods I enjoy.

Have you tried using extracts or splenda sweetened syrups to enhance the foods? My favorite is taking the vanilla pudding and adding 10 oz of water to it, and two scoops of instant coffee. I drink that most every morning.

Regarding the extra supplements I take an Omega 3/6/9 twice a day but that's something I got from my local drug store and not from IP. I don't take the anti-oxidants or the enzymes. I also take Vitamin D everyday too

Most veggies can be raw - they recommend the peppers be cooked but many people on IP eat them raw anyway.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #235  
Senior Member 2/12/2010

Height: 5'4"

Libbyshims -- We can have Walden Farms Chocolate sauce? I have to go find some.... sounds delish!
Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #236  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsrock View Post
hey guys.. trying to get an answer before I leave work today. I cant get the comparrison docs up to look are the alternatives... looking for most comparable would you go with Lindora or new lifestyle? r the lifestyle premade shakes the same..

I know there is a different chat for this but I wasn't getting the quick response that I was hoping for.
Can't get my hands on a New Lifestyle chart. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nutritional Fact Sheet IP.pdf (16.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Lindora Carb Chart.pdf (1.20 MB, 14 views)
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #237  

Well I did it, I went through the Wendy's Drive-Through and bought the double cheeseburger!!!

But ha ha!.. it was for my dog's birthday (Beauregarde, basset hound, age 3) and that is his annual goodie. He only gets ketchup not the other toppings He woofed it down but then it was my turn....

And I was prepared. I made myself the turnip fries for the first time and they were wonderful (limp but I didn't mind!). Then I had a ground beef patty w/ garlic, spicy mustard, raw onion round and dill pickle slices. It was great! I did have a bit of the Walden Farms thick & Spicy BBQ sauce with it too. I'm afraid to look on that label to see what's in that Walden Farms stuff.

I look forward to attempting the fries again, maybe this weekend. This first go round I think I cut the strips up too thin and made the mistake of perhaps too much oil on the baking sheet. But I ask you, who knew one could find nirvana in a turnip?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #238  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Trying to catch up on posts and get back into the swing of things.

Birman-- I was just reading through the posts, and saw your link to an old post you had written. In it, you mention your concerns that this diet isn't 100% healthy for an extended period of time. My boyfriend and I have had this thought in the back of our minds for a while, especially after being advised so by our friends who are doctors, and we've been feeling more strongly lately. I've been having some health issues the past two weeks that I feel are directly related to the diet (I felt SO GOOD while we were on vacation and eating normally), and we're considering going off soon and transferring into a diet that is more balanced and more conducive to my health needs. We're still very committed to eating healthy and losing weight, I just think I've reached a point where it's not worth the negative side effects that I've been experiencing anymore (and he's fed up with the daily headaches and feeling of being "out of it" that he's had for a while now).

I noticed that you said that you were alternating between IP and "your regular diet". Would you mind elaborating on what your regular diet is? We're really looking for something that's going to allow us to continue to lose weight, even if it is at a slower pace, but that will allow me to take medications that I need to take and to experience fewer flare-ups and side effects than I've been experiencing.

Also, I agree with you on the money-eating-clutter thing. I am the SAME WAY. I'm notoriously inconsistent in all of these areas. And when I'm on in one area, I'm on across the board, but if the dishes aren't done and the laundry is all over the floor, I'm looking for a snack, and it's not an IP product!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #239  
Started IP 2-18-10

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I had my 6th weigh-in yesterday and thank goodness I lost 2.4 pounds! Woohoo! I am now only .6 pounds away from my goal. Today I start phase 2 and I'm so happy. Hopefully I continue to lose on phase 2 which is 2 weeks long. I did the math and I have lost 16.75 inches in measurements too.

The past 2 weeks I have lost less than 3 pounds a week- 2.2 and 2.4. But it all adds up. So anyone who has lost more than that- such as 3 pounds, feel happy! Sam0617- 3.5 pounds lost! Congratulations!! I think your weight loss is right on plan. 3-5 pounds a week is the average for a female. We all expect big losses every week but there's so many factors at work in our bodies and lives. It's funny how our expectations are so high for IP.

TexasSweetie- are you keeping a food journal? I wanted to eat something not on plan so bad last week but knowing I had to write it down stopped me. Also, don't beat yourself up over it. Drink a big glass of water and put yourself back on plan directly after a slip-up. It's ok! Don't stress because stress releases cortisol which can halt your weight loss. Take some deep breaths and think of something happy! Take a bath at night. Give yourself a non-food treat. I just bought some new make-up and face lotion. It's a little thing, but you deserve a reward for even being on IP. Not everyone cares enough about their body to go on a healthful eating protocol. Hang in there! Do you like coffee? I really enjoy my morning coffee and I just started drinking decaf coffee throughout the rest of the day- 2-3 cups total. I get a flavored coffee so it's a little sweet and fragrant. It makes me feel happy! Herbal tea is nice too.

One suggestion about the constipation-
eat a handful of lettuce at lunch and dinner and eat your veggies raw. When I don't eat the lettuce and at least 2 cups of veggies raw (for the day), I notice things aren't moving as smoothly. Raw vegetables have enzymes in them that help your digestion. When you cook vegetables, those enzymes are removed and then your body has to use its own enzymes to digest the vegetable, essentially working twice as hard. Does anyone take the IP Enzymes as a supplement? Does it help? I know everyone's bodies are different, and I feel for anyone who has constipation. It's the worst! They tried to sell me the Enzymes at my clinic, but luckily it was just a one day problem. Raw veggies and lots of water solved it for me. They also said that coffee helps since it's a diuretic.
Everyone who has posted positive comments in response to my last post about me only having lost 3.5 lbs in my second week are absolutely correct. We do tend to have high expectations on this program. When you look at the total weight loss it is incredible. Thanks everyone for bringing the positive.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #240  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlescda View Post
Thanks LILITA, EASTCOASTMAMA AND FLUFFYMAMA. Although my doctor told me to stay off the packs until after the ultrasound today, I did have a pudding last night and will have a shake for lunch after the ultrasound. I feel about the same today...nothing is moving but the pain in my flank is not as bad as it was yesterday and I'm not taking anything for pain today....all that'll do is irritate my stomach more lol.

FLUFFYMAMA.......where can I buy Mirilax? Is this an over-the-counter laxative.

I really hope that I can stay on this diet, maybe with some minor modifications to suit my food intolerances to wheat & gluten. The 5 weeks that I've been on it has definitely got me on the right track to healthier eating and I'm determined to reach my goal regardless.
YES! I have found it at Target, Kroger, and Publix just to name a few places.. Look in the laxatives section.
Closed Thread