Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #151  
Brenda1980
 
brenda1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 49

S/C/G: 164/139/130

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
I have been reading your posts and with all the positive reports, decided to begin the program. Today is my first day and so far so good. My coach seems to be very helpful and had a bag with everything in it. She did a written menu and put all all packets for a day in a ziplock. This was for the first two weeks. Couldn't be easier.

I anticipate the first three days I won't feel well based on past diets. I feel a little lightheaded, but not hungry yet. I am concerned about the ketosis breath that can be so bad. Any ideas how to control that? Has anyone had any experience with a mouth rinse called Therabreath? I thought I might try it.
I love your quote about short cuts. Breath- either mine has not been that bad or no one has the guts to say anything to me about it. And trust me, my husband would tell me without regard for my feelings.
brenda1980 is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #152  
Senior Member
 
Birman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 253

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
Has anyone had any experience with a mouth rinse called Therabreath?
Yes. I have been using Therabreath toothpaste, rinse, and gum for several years. It is one of the better breath products out there, because it contains zinc and oxygen -- both of which studies show are good for bad breath. I don't know of data in regards specifically to using it for ketosis. However it should work better than anything else we have previously discussed here (e.g. Spry gum, Binaca, Listerine strips...)

Birman RDH
Birman is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #153  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON
 
PRINCASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WYOMING
Posts: 113

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Question Help!!

Is anyone using the Newlifestylediet.com pre-made shakes? I have a couple concerns and would like to talk to anyone using them to see if there having the same effects.
PRINCASS is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #154  
Member
 
Wyo Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdog13 View Post
Sounds like whatever you are eating salad and veggie wise has more carbs in than you might realize. Have you gone over your diet with your coach? You may need to do MeghanOs bootcamp where she only has 25-30 carbs per day. That is very hard, but boy she lost a lot of weight. Under FAQs I think somewhere is the veggie carb count sheet. I printed one off and highlighted all the veggies that had very little carbs in per serving. This helps me make better choices when it comes to veggies as I am a slow loser (but I cheat and have wine with dinner) and am still losing now that I started doint that. Also, romaine lettuce has the most carbs in it. I was eating a head a day...that is like 26 carbs right there. I've moved over to field greens now and again, see the difference. Not all veggies/salads are created equal.
Good Morning-
Ogdog13, I'm not sure where you are getting your counts on the romaine lettuce. I've cross checked information posted in the FAQ section with other sources on the internet and what I am seeing across the board is that 1 cup of romaine lettuce has 0.7 net carbs (1.8 carbs minus 1.1 fiber). So unless you are eating over 26 cups of it a day, I don't know where you are getting a 26 carb count... I eat lots of it, almost every day and it might just be a tad higher than field greens.

Would you or anybody happen to know where MegnanO's bootcamp is listed? I'd be curious to read it. I will also look to see if I can do a search of her posts.

Have a romainful day!
Wyo Sky is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #155  
Senior Member
 
Birman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 253

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicibel View Post
I need some encouragement today. My clinic had a meeting (kind of support group) of the people that have been on the diet. Keep in mind that that it has only been in the area since beginning of Jan. Anyway, I was the Smallest Loser at only 16 pounds in one month. One lady has been on for 50 days and she has lost 38 pounds. Of course, the guys all had huge numbers!! The Brats!! Everybody tried to be positive about it but I keep wondering if I am doing something wrong that the scale is moving so slowly for me. I eat the food - no restricted at all - take the vitamins, get the salt in. My only cheat would be at dinner I occasionally have extra protein. I have not done much exercising except walk once in awhile. Should I pick up on the exercise? Any suggestions? This is not the easiest diet to stay on especially if you aren't losing much. It was only one pound last week and the scale has not moved this week and weigh in is on Friday.
Fifteen years ago I did a diet, lost 16 lbs in 4 months, and was pretty darn pleased with myself. So 16 lbs in one month sounds great to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicibel View Post
The problem with being a slow loser is that every week I don't lose means I will be on the diet longer and I have to go broke with the purchase of the packets. My husband is on the diet with me and will reach the goal way before I will. Can you imagine how much this is costing us to have two people on it. I hesitate to stray from the IP packets and use those unmentionable ones because I want to not deviate any more than I must. On top of that my daughter wants to try the diet as she has prom coming and the dress is shall I say "snug". I did purchase the unmentionable products for her and pray they taste good. She only likes the Choc version of the EAS shakes.
Ahhhh. I get what your concern is now.

Let me quote back an excellent post of Novak's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Don't confuse the diet with the products. I believe the diet is sound, but if you understand enough about the chemical process, you can duplicate the effects in other (and less expensive) ways. What you pay for with the IP products is convenience and choice. Someone has done all the figuring for you, developed lots of different food flavors and textures, and all you have to do is follow a specific protocol to succeed. It's relatively mindless, which is just what I need.
Cicibel, you need to do this diet in a way that is right for YOU. The product system works great for some people. But it's not ideal for everyone. It wouldn't work well for me, for example. For two reasons. First, every product meal I took I would feel like I was eating a packet of money -- and that would just plain irk me! Second, I like to eat FOOD. I have food meals for both lunch AND dinner every day. Last night at dinner I got so full that I couldn't finish it, and had to put half away in the fridge. I was so stuffed that I thought I would HAVE to weigh more this morning. But nope -- instead I had dropped another pound. (That's 17 lbs in 3 weeks). Being able to eat more actual food, and not having to spend a fortune on packets helps me stay on the diet. And staying on the diet is where the results are. You need to do the diet in a way that works for you -- and if cost is a problem, then make adjustments to reduce the cost.

To do the diet without a dependence on the packets, one needs to A) be knowledgeable about the principles on which the diet is based, and B) be knowledgeable and careful about what they are eating.

One can accomplish the first by reading Dr. Tran's book. It is available online for free here.

One can accomplish the second by reading food labels. If it still seems a bit nebulous to you, then track what you're eating for a few days in Fit Day or some other program. That way you can be fully aware and knowledgeable about your choices. Come here and ask questions as well. We will help.

The fact that the cost of the products repeatedly comes up here is indicative of what how important it is for us to address this issue in supporting others in their weight loss success.
Birman is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #156  
Senior Member
 
Ogdog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spring City, Pa
Posts: 927

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicibel View Post
Ogdog13 says..."You may need to do MeghanOs bootcamp where she only has 25-30 carbs per day. That is very hard, but boy she lost a lot of weight."

Where is this bootcamp found. I want to check it out!! Thanks
Cicibel, it is something her coach helped her with. Basically you use an onlline tool (i.e. Fitday) to track how many carbs you are eating per day...ensuring that you only eat 25-30. She discusses it in past threads, look back through last months and the month before that. I'm sure she wouldn't have any problems answering any questions you might have...she is currently on the alternative post. Hopefully that helps you a little.
Ogdog13 is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #157  
Senior Member
 
Ogdog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spring City, Pa
Posts: 927

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
Good Morning-
Ogdog13, I'm not sure where you are getting your counts on the romaine lettuce. I've cross checked information posted in the FAQ section with other sources on the internet and what I am seeing across the board is that 1 cup of romaine lettuce has 0.7 net carbs (1.8 carbs minus 1.1 fiber). So unless you are eating over 26 cups of it a day, I don't know where you are getting a 26 carb count... I eat lots of it, almost every day and it might just be a tad higher than field greens.

Would you or anybody happen to know where MegnanO's bootcamp is listed? I'd be curious to read it. I will also look to see if I can do a search of her posts.

Have a romainful day!
Wyo Sky, Looking at the sheet I have, romain lettuce 1 cup has 1.3 carbs in it. And it doesn't take much to fill a cup with lettuce, eating a nice big head a day adds up. Field greens have .7 per 1 cup. Although not that much, everyone (especially myself) reacts to carbs differently. And, I notice that I eat less field greens than I did of romaine lettuce (man I can sock that down).

Megan O's bootcamp is something her coach put her on. Like I said before, you make sure that you eat only 25-30 carbs per day. No more. If you read back through last month's posts and the month before that she discusses it a bit more.
Ogdog13 is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #158  
Member
 
Wyo Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCASS View Post
Is anyone using the Newlifestylediet.com pre-made shakes? I have a couple concerns and would like to talk to anyone using them to see if there having the same effects.
I think there is data listed on their products in the FAQ section. I tried this years ago for like two weeks. The products tasted somewhat ok but I think they have higher carb counts, and many more chemicals in them including aspartame (which is VERY TOXIC folks). It can actually turn to formaldehyde in your system and is an excitotoxin. The whole story on how aspertame even got approved by the FDA is unbelievable but let's just say....bottom line and who knew who. I invite anyone to research this but be warned, once you figure it out, you'll never get near it again. It's in products everywhere, often under different names, and can even be in medications.

The Ideal Protein products are made in Canada and they have a higher standards (non-GMO's or geo-modified) for their foods than the US which typically ladens stuff with all kinds of chemical crap. As it was explained to me, this is one reason IP products cost more, it is because of quality control on the ingredients (except for sucrolose/Splenda which is also toxic chlorine). In Canada, I hear they put (or used to put) Stevia in the products but in order to sell their products in the US, our FDA said it can't have the Stevia so they went with sucrolose. If you are thinking the FDA cares about us folk, guess again.

Recommended viewing, please google or maybe on Netflix:
Food, Inc.
The World According to Monsanto

Yes, IP products are still a "processed food", but with safer overall ingredients. In my thinking (and I could well be wrong), it is not accurate to compare IP products and switch them out with other brands (Lindora, Advantage, etc.) thinking you are getting the same exact ingredients because unless those products are made in Canada, the quality is probably not going to be there. Regarding the sucrolose, as my doctor explains it, it's not that much and it's probably safer to ingest some of that than to carry around all the extra weight.

Obesity in this country is often due to the cheap crappy food we all generally eat. You know all the things on most ingredient labels that can not even be pronounced... All I can say is do some research, things like MSG (which can now be listed in ingredients as "natural flavorings" and a whole host of other names) are everywhere! Maunfuacturers know by adding this into their foods, people want to eat more of it (have cravings) and they really only care about the bottom line. You know the old Lays chip commerical, "bet you can't eat just one"...well I couldn't and didn't! High fructose corn syrup is another danger, and there are many.

I've eaten much processed crappy food through the years (although it tasted good or so I thought) and that's the main reason I am overweight. Besides just doing this Ideal Protein protocal, I am trying to educate myself to TRULY be more aware of what I will be stuffing into my mouth from now on. Yes, I am now on the free-range, organic, grown local bandwagon as I best I can be.

Ok, am getting down off soap box now
Wyo Sky is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #159  
Senior Member
 
Ogdog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spring City, Pa
Posts: 927

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
I've eaten much processed crappy food through the years (although it tasted good or so I thought) and that's the main reason I am overweight. Besides just doing this Ideal Protein protocal, I am trying to educate myself to TRULY be more aware of what I will be stuffing into my mouth from now on. Yes, I am now on the free-range, organic, grown local bandwagon as I best I can be.

I'm right there beside you on a soap box too Wyo Sky!! Hip Hip.
Ogdog13 is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #160  
Member
 
Wyo Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdog13 View Post
Wyo Sky, Looking at the sheet I have, romain lettuce 1 cup has 1.3 carbs in it. And it doesn't take much to fill a cup with lettuce, eating a nice big head a day adds up. Field greens have .7 per 1 cup. Although not that much, everyone (especially myself) reacts to carbs differently. And, I notice that I eat less field greens than I did of romaine lettuce (man I can sock that down).

Megan O's bootcamp is something her coach put her on. Like I said before, you make sure that you eat only 25-30 carbs per day. No more. If you read back through last month's posts and the month before that she discusses it a bit more.
Hi again Ogdog13, Are you calculating the "net" carbs? This is carbs minus fiber content. That gives you the accurate count. I love romaine too and often use the long leaves to pile on the veggies, beef or whatever else I'm eatting with it. As much as I eat of it, I don't seem to tire of it (yet anyway)
Wyo Sky is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #161  
Member
 
Sarkbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32

S/C/G: 159/131.5/115

Height: 5'2"

Default

I actually joined a special gym that combines heat with light cardio exercise for maximum calorie burn. This same gym also offered me Ideal Protein. Everyday, they measure my weight and my fat, water, and muscle mass. Here is what I found out from my 'rep'.

Because I weight 159lbs, I need 80g of protein, meaning I would need at least 4 packets, depending on the protein I was choosing to eat. Over the last few weeks, I only did 3 IP packets like the rest of you, but she was right, my muscle mass kept going down over the weekend, and even on days I would exercise. This last weekend, I started taking 4 packets and found that my muscle didn't go away and a lost more fat than weight really.

Weighing in at 148.7 pounds, but 13 lbs of fat gone

an extra packet would only set you back a couple of calories, especially if you pick a lighter calorie one before you go to bed (I drink the cranberry, pomegranate, blueberry one). The only real issue is cost, but I would rather just pay the large cost now rather than a large medical bill later for what my weight would probably bring me in the future

Last edited by Sarkbait; 03-03-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Sarkbait is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #162  
Senior Member
 
Ogdog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spring City, Pa
Posts: 927

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
Hi again Ogdog13, Are you calculating the "net" carbs? This is carbs minus fiber content. That gives you the accurate count. I love romaine too and often use the long leaves to pile on the veggies, beef or whatever else I'm eatting with it. As much as I eat of it, I don't seem to tire of it (yet anyway)
No, just total carbs (as it is my understanding of the boot camp that you count total carbs). LOL, hopefully you won't get sick of it!!
Ogdog13 is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #163  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON
 
PRINCASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WYOMING
Posts: 113

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
I think there is data listed on their products in the FAQ section. I tried this years ago for like two weeks. The products tasted somewhat ok but I think they have higher carb counts, and many more chemicals in them including aspartame (which is VERY TOXIC folks). It can actually turn to formaldehyde in your system and is an excitotoxin. The whole story on how aspertame even got approved by the FDA is unbelievable but let's just say....bottom line and who knew who. I invite anyone to research this but be warned, once you figure it out, you'll never get near it again. It's in products everywhere, often under different names, and can even be in medications.

The Ideal Protein products are made in Canada and they have a higher standards (non-GMO's or geo-modified) for their foods than the US which typically ladens stuff with all kinds of chemical crap. As it was explained to me, this is one reason IP products cost more, it is because of quality control on the ingredients (except for sucrolose/Splenda which is also toxic chlorine). In Canada, I hear they put (or used to put) Stevia in the products but in order to sell their products in the US, our FDA said it can't have the Stevia so they went with sucrolose. If you are thinking the FDA cares about us folk, guess again.

Recommended viewing, please google or maybe on Netflix:
Food, Inc.
The World According to Monsanto

Yes, IP products are still a "processed food", but with safer overall ingredients. In my thinking (and I could well be wrong), it is not accurate to compare IP products and switch them out with other brands (Lindora, Advantage, etc.) thinking you are getting the same exact ingredients because unless those products are made in Canada, the quality is probably not going to be there. Regarding the sucrolose, as my doctor explains it, it's not that much and it's probably safer to ingest some of that than to carry around all the extra weight.

Obesity in this country is often due to the cheap crappy food we all generally eat. You know all the things on most ingredient labels that can not even be pronounced... All I can say is do some research, things like MSG (which can now be listed in ingredients as "natural flavorings" and a whole host of other names) are everywhere! Maunfuacturers know by adding this into their foods, people want to eat more of it (have cravings) and they really only care about the bottom line. You know the old Lays chip commerical, "bet you can't eat just one"...well I couldn't and didn't! High fructose corn syrup is another danger, and there are many.

I've eaten much processed crappy food through the years (although it tasted good or so I thought) and that's the main reason I am overweight. Besides just doing this Ideal Protein protocal, I am trying to educate myself to TRULY be more aware of what I will be stuffing into my mouth from now on. Yes, I am now on the free-range, organic, grown local bandwagon as I best I can be.

Ok, am getting down off soap box now

Wyosky.
I totally agree with you.
The thing is, I was under the impression that the "newlife" shakes are the same as "IP" shakes because the ingredients read the same. http://newlifestylediet.com/detail.aspx?pid=138&cid=12
http://idealprotein.com/ipcl_usen.asp?no=295&c=19&p=63
PRINCASS is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #164  
Senior Member
 
Birman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 253

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
... because unless those products are made in Canada, the quality is probably not going to be there....
What? Canadians can do more well than just play hockey?
Birman is offline  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #165  
Start Date Oct 26/09
 
Mom22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 203

S/C/G: 199/148.6/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdog13 View Post
No, just total carbs (as it is my understanding of the boot camp that you count total carbs). LOL, hopefully you won't get sick of it!!
that's how i understood it too - MeghanO was having great weight loss success every week so we quizzed her and she talked about the "bootcamp" approach. It's pretty basic - you stick below 25-30 total carbs in one day - if you add up your 4 cups of veggies, your IP packs, some splenda (figure 1 carb), dressing, etc. you'll see how quickly your daily carb count goes up. It means eliminating the restricted packs, or alternating them with some really low carb ones and watching which veggies you eat. carb counts for veggies are on the FAQ thread. tricks to keep carbs down also include adding extra water to the puddings to make a shake rather than using the shakes - the puddings have fewer carbs.

I asked why the wildberry yogurt carb count is 14 (apprently this only showed up in Canada) and isn't restricted. there was a big conference last week for the IP consultants and mine asked at that event - they checked and it's a print error - they hadn't noticed. Carb count is 5.

Last edited by Mom22; 03-03-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Mom22 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.